The Culture Wars

Boycott

He supported brexit, lives in a tax haven and he thinks London isn't an English city anymore cause of all the immigrants.

I think he's pretty right wing.
Wasn't aware of that :nervous:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He supported brexit, lives in a tax haven and he thinks London isn't an English city anymore cause of all the immigrants.

I think he's pretty right wing.
Doesnt the more multicultural a city becomes make it seem more foreign though? Logically? Especially to elders.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
20 years old Cleese would mock 80 years old Cleese. What a bitter old man he's become.

Steven Seagull

Multicultural cities are unbelievably boring though. Nobody goes to visit Kyoto or something to get Saeeds kebab or Janet’s Full English cafe. It just makes it shite. I never understand where this rampant idea of multiculturalism being amazing comes from.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Multicultural cities are unbelievably boring though. Nobody goes to visit Kyoto or something to get Saeeds kebab or Janet’s Full English cafe. It just makes it shite. I never understand where this rampant idea of multiculturalism being amazing comes from.
Dunno man. If I was a resident in Kyoto I might quite like Saeed's kebab occasionally. There's a French restaurant near me that's pretty good, a spanking Thai one too. Seems like my area would be a bit poorer if it just had Chris's chippy and The Kings Arms. That would be unbelievably boring.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Complete bollox. I was brought up in a city that was monocultural until much more recently than most and is a far more interesting place to live in now I can eat food from a dozen different cultures instead of choosing between our one and only Indian restaurant and half a dozen shit Chinese takeaways. Can’t even get my head around the idea that multicultural cities are “unbelievably boring”. That’s one of the weirdest claims I’ve ever read on here.

Suv666

Why are you looking at it from a tourist perspective? Its shite when you have to live there.

Sweet Square

Looks pretty cool tbh.

Conor

A city being multicultural doesn't mean the basic culture of the country it exists in is lost, so this doesn't really make any sense.

mu4c_20le

A city being multicultural doesn't mean the basic culture of the country it exists in is lost, so this doesn't really make any sense.
Yeah I don't get why tourism suddenly became the main focal point. Why can't Kyoto locals enjoy a good kebab every now and then?!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The best Kebab i've ate is at Tokyo, them Japanese does thing well, whatever that is.

SoCross

Where do you live!

Having an array of options, foodwise, makes life so much better. It’s not just food as well.

Superden

you want to go to Kyoto and eat kyoto food in places staffed by kyoto people and travel round in taxis driven by good old kyoto people. with their kyoto born and bred bretheren keeping the streets clean. and be reassured that if you fall ill, the hospital in town, stuffed full of kyoto-ic nurses and doctors will look after you. obviously you dont mind the non-kyoto folks coming in help out, but as long they dont live in kyoto its ok.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Where do you live!

Having an array of options, foodwise, makes life so much better. It’s not just food as well.
Scotland and he only likes to eat deep-fried Mars bars?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Typical Sesame Street playing politics and jumping on the woke bandwagon announcing this new muppet to represent Asian-Americans instead of their usual muppet creations like the ones that are African-American, gay, same sex couples, autistic, single parents, Latin-American, deaf, blind, step families and that narcissistic cnut Elmo.

Unless they're pissed off that in the 80s they had a Muppet called Donald Grump, but I doubt it even though the resemblance is uncanny...

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
:lol:

The Drosophila crew are pretty insane with their gene names. My favorites that are forever stuck in my brain:

1. Cheap Date - Mutation generating low alcohol tolerance
2. Ken and Barbie - Mutation resulting in no external genitalia
i went from chemistry to yeast genetics, so its all boring abbreviations, then in grad school reading my first fly paper i was so confused!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
i went from chemistry to yeast genetics, so its all boring abbreviations, then in grad school reading my first fly paper i was so confused!
same with the bacteria world. Just a lot of boring abbreviations. I’m convinced it’s because the drosophila researchers went slowly insane from having to manually sort through a vial of thousands of flies looking for new phenotypes after random mutagenesis.

Sweet Square

Speaking at the telly industry bash ITV Palooza in London, Brian said: “I am sure if Queen started now we would be forced to have people of different colours and different sexes and a trans [person], but life doesn’t have to be like that. We can be separate and different.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
He's right, nowadays we simply can't find any bands where all members are straight men. Impossible.

OleBoiii

So if I understand him right(I'm not reading the Sun): in order to make it big now your band has to be diverse?

Well firstly: I don't think rock music is very popular with the mainstream anymore, so even with a diverse band you'd have the odds against you. Are there even any universally loved rock bands that have been formed in the last 5 years? Or even any pop groups for that matter?

Secondly: the rock and metal genre is still dominated by cis-gendered white men, is it not? Or perhaps that's his point? That rock and metal has become less popular because it's not diverse enough? :lol:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
What did he say specifically?
The guitarist said:
"I feel very uncomfortable about some of the decisions that are being made, often out of fear.
"Because people are so afraid of being called out. It is a horrible atmosphere.
"I get so sick of people trying to change things without thinking of the long-term consequences.
"Some of these things are improvements and some are not. Some of them are depriving people.
"I would like to see a lot more care taken to make sure we don't just jump on people and accuse them of this and that."
Discussing whether he thinks female performers will miss out again thanks to the gender-neutral move, May said:

"I honestly don't know if it disadvantages one group but it's a decision that has been made without a lot of thought.
"I don't know what the long-term consequences are.
"A lot of things work quite well and can be left alone. I think some things need to go back.
"What matters is justice and equality of opportunity, no matter who you are, and that is actually not happening at the moment as everyone is jumping to conclusions and everyone is scared of doing the wrong thing. I do find it very uncomfortable.
"I don't think things are going very well, I have to say."
Asked what he would like to see in the future, the musician replied:

"I want to see people start to understand each other in the new year and recognize the differences there are between us.
"Between our color, between our sex, and between our talents and celebrate the differences...
"I am sure if Queen started now we would be forced to have people of different colors and different sexes and a trans [person], but life doesn't have to be like that. We can be separate and different.
"Our generation made a lot of bad mistakes but not everybody in our generation was wrong and not everybody in this generation is right.

"A lot of people from our generation who are being called out for this have actually done a lot of good in their lives.
"The young people who are doing this will find that the same thing happens to them - people will be calling them out and they will be bewildered. I just pray for more understanding between us...
"I worry about cancel culture. I think some of it is good but it also brings bad things and injustices.
"We think in different ways but they weren't necessarily worse ways.
"For instance, Freddie wasn't white but nobody cared. He was a musician. He was our friend, our brother.
"We didn't have to stop and think, 'Oh should we work with him? Is he the right color or the right sex?'
"It is frightening that people have to be so calculated about things. To me it is dangerous.
"There is an atmosphere of fear everywhere because people are afraid to say how they really think.

"I think there is a pressure building up as so many people are feeling, 'Hang on. This isn't quite right,' but they don't dare say anything.
"I think eventually there will be some kind of explosion.
"Social media makes it worse. It can be good but it can be very dangerous. It's sad.
"It's easy to be a bully if you are in the comfort of your own home behind a screen. Keyboard warriors and all that stuff."
He was criticised for A, but it probably needs to be taken in the context of B.