The curious case of Jon Moss

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Surely he should not ref another game in the Prem. At least for a long fecking while. IMO it was never a yellow on Vardy for diving, their legs came together so if that's a dive, every striker will get a yellow each game. That card should be rescinded.

The Winston Reid pen was closer to being a dive. And then the Schlupp pen was mad too.

What a clown.

Kaos

Vardy was rightly sent off, it was a clear dive and he's not exactly innocent to such antics before. I actually commend him for that ballsy decision.

He was pretty much awful with the other decisions though, but again he's not much worse than Atkinson who still gets the big games despite being consistently awful.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
If you don't think Vardy should have been booked for simulation then you're not in any position to criticise Moss if you ask me.
The biggest problem is that some refs book a player for diving and some not. Payet dived at Old Trafford and he didnt get a second yellow, of course people are pissed when they see staff like that. Either you book everyone or no one.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Only saw up to the sending off but it was a pathetic and obvious dive. I was begining to like Vardy but he could potentially cost his team the league with that. What a massive fecking tool.

West Ham as well spend pretty much all of every game constantly trying to con the ref into giving incorrect decisions...yet after nearly every game the players and manager are whining about the ref giving what they perceive to be incorrect decisions. I find it hard to ever be critical of a ref when one or more of the teams involved are such a massive set of deluded bellends.

binary bot
Vardy completely engineered the foul and then exaggerated the fall in order to get a penalty, complete dive. If it's not a dive then you can basically jump into defenders in the box and be rewarded for it. It was the same as Ashley Young's dive from a few years ago versus Crystal Palace that he got villified for.

The problem with giving a penalty for pulling at corners is that you need to be consistent and it's impossible due to the number of times it happens in a match - you could justify giving 6 or so penalties a match with defenders marking attackers at set pieces. Moss fecked that by completely ignoring Huth being bear hugged at a corner. The extra time penalty was typical ref rewarding a team after he realises he's fecked them over.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If that was a yellow for a dive, when the legs actually came together, then I want to see that given every time that happens. Which I am pretty sure is at least once every single game. IMO not a yellow. No.

Djemba-Djemba

If that was a yellow for a dive, when the legs actually came together, then I want to see that given every time that happens. Which I am pretty sure is at least once every single game. IMO not a yellow. No.
The replays show that he checks to make sure where the defender is and then he sort of pirouettes into him. It's an absolutely blatant dive, and he's done it before.

I thought the ref got everything else completely wrong though. He was hopeless.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
The biggest problem is that some refs book a player for diving and some not. Payet dived at Old Trafford and he didnt get a second yellow, of course people are pissed when they see staff like that. Either you book everyone or no one.
Except that there can be contact but no pen meaning you might not think it's a dive but also not a pen. Plus, the refs supposedly shouldn't give a penalty unless they're 100% sure, and shouldn't give a card unless 100% sure it was a dive - whilst an easy out there'll be plenty of circumstances where one of the above is viable and genuine and it shouldn't be a black and white case of card or penalty.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The ref in that first FA cup game against us had a shocker for example, but it was almost entirely down to West Ham players cheating...yet after the game West Ham were whining as if they'd been the victims of some kind of officiating conspiracy.

Perhaps what needs to happen is refs in West Ham games should not give any benefit of the doubt to West Ham players in any circumstance until they stop behaving like spoilt children?

stu_1992

The Vardy one was a 100% dive. You can tell by the way he goes down. Yes, there's a tangle of legs but only because Vardy throws his legs into the defender.

binary bot

It's the same idea only he's running behind him/alongside him.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Except that there can be contact but no pen meaning you might not think it's a dive but also not a pen. Plus, the refs supposedly shouldn't give a penalty unless they're 100% sure, and shouldn't give a card unless 100% sure it was a dive - whilst an easy out there'll be plenty of circumstances where one of the above is viable and genuine and it shouldn't be a black and white case of card or penalty.
im talking about clear dives mate not about the situations you are mentioning. Same goes with giving yellow cards for kicking the ball after the ref blows a whistle, some give yellow some dont and of course people are going to be pissed when their player gets a yellow and they saw xy times that player doesnt get punished because of that.
Refs are having almost impossible jobs and i will defend them in most cases but in this ones they are morons, as simple as that.

lem8sh

The ref in that first FA cup game against us had a shocker for example, but it was almost entirely down to West Ham players cheating...yet after the game West Ham were whining as if they'd been the victims of some kind of officiating conspiracy.

Perhaps what needs to happen is refs in West Ham games should not give any benefit of the doubt to West Ham players in any circumstance until they stop behaving like spoilt children?
Foul on Randolph lead to our goal.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Foul on Randolph lead to our goal.
A foul on Schweinsteiger led to our goal, which West Ham then tried to pretend was him fouling someone else because one of their players was dumb enough to push him into their own goalkeeper.

You can't deliberately make a ref's job impossible then whine at the ref for not getting everything right.

There are occasions where refs need to do better and where they either bottle it or lie to cover up mistakes, but there is also this thing with football, particularly in England, where players think it's perfectly fine to try and con the ref, but extraordinarily unfair if the ref allows himself to be conned by someone other than them.

You can't on the one hand be deliberately trying to trick the ref into getting things wrong, and then on the other be expecting him to never get anything wrong. The two aren't compatable with each other yet in games like today this is what the ref is being expected to do.

Sylar

Its the inconsistency though that always annoys people. Not even just across different games, but in the same game.
How he can give that penalty to West Ham but then not give the Huth one despite staring at it was annoying. But then he gives the Carroll one, seemingly to even it out (obviously thats a guess on my part based on his actions).

I still think hes better than Atkinson who is the one referee that I actually believe just guesses the big decisions and almost always guesses incorrectly.

RaptorSlo

Legs come together when Vardy kicked backwards, and was already on his way down. That was basically Moss' only correct pen decision.

The one foul that should have been a pen was when Huth was "hugged" at corner kick and prevented from jumping. Probably Moss changed his mind about that after it was already too late to give it and that's why he gave a pen for the most obvious dive of them all at the end.

bri2013

The problem with football refereeing decisions is that referees are human beings and make decisions in real time without the assistance of slow motion replays from different angles. Cricket and rugby use technology to assist the referee but football does not, so while you have the human element in decision making, you are always going to get inconsistent decisions.

LouisDanGaal

Will Carroll get in trouble for his comments on the ref after the match? he said he thought he was trying to even it out, surely that's an attack on integrity?

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Will Carroll get in trouble for his comments on the ref after the match? he said he thought he was trying to even it out, surely that's an attack on integrity?
Should he get in trouble for telling the obvious truth?

El Zoido

The Vardy second yellow was right but he got the three penalty decisions wrong.

montpelier

I don't think he should, wasn't said to try & diss the ref imo. Quietly move on is the best idea for me. It's the 'obvious truth' is a good way of describing it, so what is Carroll supposed to say?

More interesting is whether Vardy gets a charge for swearing at Moss before leaving the field. They could do with him not missing more than 1 game.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Many people are exaggerating a bit, I think. Every difficult decision is a controversial one these days because there are two sets of fans wanting the opposite things. Just because there were many of these decisions in the game doesn't necessarily mean it was "the worst refereeing performance, bar none", as some people have proclaimed it. He didn't have a good game, by no accounts, but every referee has had similar performances.

The Vardy incident, most people agree that it was the right decision. Then the penalty for West Ham was soft, but other referees would've given it, and even though I don't agree with it, there could be a case for it, if you want to make it. Then the Leicester penalty was a shit decision, but one that we've seen so many times by so many referees.

He was unfortunate that these incidents all happened in a single game.

Rednotdead

The problem with football refereeing decisions is that referees are human beings and make decisions in real time without the assistance of slow motion replays from different angles. Cricket and rugby use technology to assist the referee but football does not, so while you have the human element in decision making, you are always going to get inconsistent decisions.
To be fair though, you could have watched the Vardy incident 100 times in slow motion and still not got a definitive answer. A video ref would still just be giving an opinion the same as the ref, these incidents are all down to individual perception. I can't see how a video ref could have changed Moss' decision with any degree of certainty.

Rednotdead

Many people are exaggerating a bit, I think. Every difficult decision is a controversial one these days because there are two sets of fans wanting the opposite things. Just because there were many of these decisions in the game doesn't necessarily mean it was "the worst refereeing performance, bar none", as some people have proclaimed it. He didn't have a good game, by no accounts, but every referee has had similar performances.

The Vardy incident, most people agree that it was the right decision. Then the penalty for West Ham was soft, but other referees would've given it, and even though I don't agree with it, there could be a case for it, if you want to make it. Then the Leicester penalty was also a shit decision, but one that we've seen so many times by so many referees.

You're right there. Who'd be a ref?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
You're right there. Who'd be a ref?
Never. I give them as much stick as the next fan to be honest, but I do realize that they're so often in a lose-lose situation. Had he spared Vardy, West Ham fans would've been pissed and with reason. Had he not given them the pen, they'd have said he's corrupt and is giving everything to Leicester. Had he not given the penalty at the end, some people would say it should've been one and he was just trying to even it out.

Had all those things not happened and there were no controversies to speak of (are there such games?) nobody would've said: "Good job today ref, you're a legend!"

ZAGREB RED

The Vardy incident, most people agree that it was the right decision. Then the penalty for West Ham was soft, but other referees would've given it, and even though I don't agree with it, there could be a case for it, if you want to make it. Then the Leicester penalty was a shit decision, but one that we've seen so many times by so many referees.
I thought he was right on all 3 of the controversial decisions, Vardy deserved a yellow for his dive, and both penalties were correct.

I thought he got all 3 decisions right, Vardy deserved a yellow for diving and both penalties were correct. To be fair, the Vardy incident looked like a stonewall penalty to me at the time, but looking at replays he dived, and I initially thought the foul for Leicester's penalty was outside the box before the replays. I don't think Morgan could complain about West ham's penalty.

Robbie Boy

I think it was definitely a second yellow for the dive. He did have a shocker, though but I feel he most definitely got that one right. It was blatantly obvious that Vardy was playing for the peno.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It was a clear dive, I can't see how anyone can refute that. There's a difference between going down easy (which has been brought about by referees not giving decisions when players stay on their feet) and diving. You can see Vardy literally throwing himself forward, it was blatant.

Rednotdead

I think it was definitely a second yellow for the dive. He did have a shocker, though but I feel he most definitely got that one right. It was blatantly obvious that Vardy was playing for the peno.
He's been doing that for ages and getting away with it. It's the old story, the more they get away with the more blatant they become because they think they'll always get away with it. After this, every ref will be doubtful every time he goes down in the box.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
He's been doing that for ages and getting away with it. It's the old story, the more they get away with the more blatant they become because they think they'll always get away with it. After this, every ref will be doubtful every time he goes down in the box.
I'm afraid that diving has moved on a level, some players would go down easily looking for a penalty, then players started to go down with no contact and now some players (especially Vardy) have taken it to another level again by throwing their own legs into those of the defender.

It's so difficult for the refs that I don't blame them, their needs to be retrospective punishment for this, where it's clear and obvious cheating players should be facing a mandatory 3 or 4 game ban.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm struggling to understand how anyone can say that wasn't a dive from Vardy. It was as obvious as they come and 100% simulation. Deserved yellow.

Nobody would have batted an eyelid had it not been the second yellow, it's this fecked up notion that a second yellow should be harder to earn that distorts people's views.

I turned off before the end of the game and it was still 1-0, so I can't comment on other decisions but he got the Vardy dive absolutely right.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Funny how a referee gives most decisions to Leicester's opponent soon after all the press coverage of how refs give everything to Leicester. [/sarcasm]

At the back of this, I bet, is an unwritten directive to referees.

Northstand

I'm struggling to understand how anyone can say that wasn't a dive from Vardy. It was as obvious as they come and 100% simulation. Deserved yellow.

Nobody would have batted an eyelid had it not been the second yellow, it's this fecked up notion that a second yellow should be harder to earn that distorts people's views.

I turned off before the end of the game and it was still 1-0, so I can't comment on other decisions but he got the Vardy dive absolutely right.
I agree with everything you've said except the bolded part. Although by the letter of the law you are correct, in practice most referees will show some common sense when applying a second yellow, and allow a degree of leniency. It's why so many on here were raging at Mike Dean for producing a second yellow for Mata at West Brom a few weeks ago.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Despite getting the decision right, I think the penalisation of diving should be taken out of the referees hands, because the calls for it are easily the most inconsistent decisions in the game. The vast majority get away with dives, the referee is uncertain the majority of the time so they take no action and give both no foul and no penalisation for a dive. I can absolutely understand referees not being able to make a decision on a possible simulation in real-time at ground level, because they are so hard to spot. Diving should be punished retrospectively, whether the referee gave something or not. Just let the referee decide if he spotted a foul or not. Once you bring in the possibility of simulation, it convolutes the decision, and it leads to huge inconsistency, as we see very regularly.

Harsher penalties for diving should be in order too. A booking is a small price to pay for trying to win a penalty, because many penalties have been won through diving. A retrospective 5 game ban for diving would soon clean it up. You just wouldn't even try it if you knew you'd miss a month of football. Encourage players to stay on their feet and play football. It's infuriating watching the game and seeing all contact resulting in a free kick now.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Why don't the authorities outlaw this idiotic business of players grappling with each other at set-pieces, the shirt-tugging etc etc? It only leads to infringements and annoying stoppages in play (often before the kick has even been taken)...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I agree with everything you've said except the bolded part. Although by the letter of the law you are correct, in practice most referees will show some common sense when applying a second yellow, and allow a degree of leniency. It's why so many on here were raging at Mike Dean for producing a second yellow for Mata at West Brom a few weeks ago.
But they shouldn't, and they aren't consistent with it, that's the problem.

coolredwine

lameredboots
He was inconsistent, but Vardy was rightly sent off. It was a dive all day long - just look at the way he goes down.

Also, Carroll on Schlupp wasn't a penalty, but Carroll was just too stupid to come clattering into Schlupp at that moment of the game. Plus hordes of other decisions as well. As someone said, it was a very difficult game to manage, and in that case, he did okay.