The curious case of Jon Moss

bondsname

Jon Moss probably has some dirt on his boss, only explanation why he still has this job. He might be a fantastic person, but gosh is he a terrible referee.

I remember that time he asked the assistant ref if he saw anything on the big screen, and this was before VAR was used.:lol:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Didn't Neville and Carragher pass the referee tests a year or 2 ago and were struggling a bit ? How does an older & chubbier guy manage to pass it ? :confused:

El Zoido

Didn't Neville and Carragher pass the referee tests a year or 2 ago and were struggling a bit ? How does an older & chubbier guy manage to pass it ? :confused:
Same as any most jobs, once you’re in you’re in.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Same as any most jobs, once you’re in you’re in.
I thought the refs had yearly fitness tests? I'm sure I read that somewhere. No idea how Moss passes them.

Even joking aside, I don't get how a PL ref can be so fat. I assume PL refs need to train fairly seriously (compared to an average Joe) to maintain their fitness levels so how is he not losing weight?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Look at this fat fecking pig. How can you be so obese and shit and still ref games at the highest level?

Sylar

He's a mess. Not good at all and seems like he gives decisions so he doesn't have to run

Should call him Jon Mess

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Bit harsh, I think he's been decent today. He laid down a marker from the start that no one would be getting away with any reckless challenges, and Brighton have had a few that would normally be let go. Nice to see attacking players get a bit of protection for once.

izec

He may not be where he should be on the pitch, but he was decent today. Small mistakes always happen

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Even Mossy can spot some of the lunging goonery of the Brighton oafs.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We caught him on one of his good days and he still failed to send off Lewis Dunk who should have seen a red. He can't keep up and bottles decisions.

Bojan11

This comment is spot on:

All we ever hear is how referees should be respected, but respect is earned. The current lot deserve all the stick they get.
To be fair I just read Bournemouth were surrounding him constantly. If he was getting verbals he is entitled to give it back.

If ref has to apologise then the same standards should be for players.

Morpheus 7

Not a big fan of refs but considering the shit they get every game, it seems a bit harsh not to expect two-way traffic.

Didn't watch the game so can't comment further.
It really isn't, they are there to control situations, not escalate things with players. He's a joke referee, complete lack of professionalism.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It really isn't, they are there to control situations, not escalate things with players. He's a joke referee, complete lack of professionalism.
"The comments that he made especially to me and one other player - talking about the relegation zone and 'you're still in the relegation zone', 'you're having one', 'your team's having one' this and that and it was very, very disrespectful."

This is the complaint Dan Gosling made. I think it's only the relegation zone stuff that's out of order (and weird actually).

I imagine being at the centre of a game going a million miles an hour is very hard, especially with players in your face saying you're shit, etc.

Yeah I get that it's Jon Moss and he's a shit ref.

Last edited:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
"The comments that he made especially to me and one other player - talking about the relegation zone and 'you're still in the relegation zone', 'you're having one', 'your team's having one' this and that and it was very, very disrespectful."

This is the complaint Dan Gosling made. I think it's only the relegation zone stuff that's out of order (and weird actually).

I imagine being at the centre of a game going a million miles an hour is very hard, especially with players in your face saying you're shit, etc. Do you think you'd hold back from giving something 'sarky' and honestly quite minor like 'you're having one'? I probably wouldn't.

It's fair to point out the hypocrisy, in that footballers during a game are on the whole the most gobby set of twats on the planet Earth, but even in the high-pressure environment of a game officials should be able to keep it respectful and professional. Comments and antics such as those from the likes of Moss and Dean are not necessary, and I do think like it or not they undercut efforts to have officials respected in their workplace, a point Gosling referenced in that article:

'The officials talk about respect at the start of the season and there was zero respect from Jon Moss'

SteveTheRed

That makes sense. Thanks.

Just mic up refs FFS. Expose the players for what they say too and help us understand some of the daft decisions made by VAR
This is the only solution. It's added value for fans as well.

I don't think Jon Moss comments are that bad, he probably shouldn't be saying them still but the abuse he probably got all game, it would be hard not to say anything.

The refs are only human at the end of the day , I would how many decision are swayed by the attitude/behaviour of players towards them. I remember John Terry used to always be really friendly to refs , trying to get preferentially treatment

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Fans whinge if players give a bit back to them after they get abused for 90 minutes. Players whinge if a ref makes a snarky comment after giving a ref dogs abuse all game. Refs whinge that players get annoyed at them when they make mind bendingly stupid decisions... maybe everyone just needs to be a bit less precious?

Paul_Scholes18

Remember the Burnley game under Mourinho? Worst referee performance ever. Crazy game too.
He is just not very good.
Unlike say Oliver who could be good if he was not corrupt and biased like feck.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's fair to point out the hypocrisy, in that footballers during a game are on the whole the most gobby set of twats on the planet Earth, but even in the high-pressure environment of a game officials should be able to keep it respectful and professional. Comments and antics such as those from the likes of Moss and Dean are not necessary, and I do think like it or not they undercut efforts to have officials respected in their workplace, a point Gosling referenced in that article:

'The officials talk about respect at the start of the season and there was zero respect from Jon Moss'
Good post; I can get behind it.

Playing devil's advocate, I wonder if because they're such gobby twats, that Moss thinks controlling a game needs him giving them a little bit back to make them realise he won't yield or something. Or am I giving him too much credit?

arthurka

To be fair I just read Bournemouth were surrounding him constantly. If he was getting verbals he is entitled to give it back.

If ref has to apologise then the same standards should be for players.
It´s a question of what came before? Moss or the players. If he starts with this kind of attitude you can understand players acting up. But I agree with Gosling on this respect isn´t mandatory it is earned.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Playing devil's advocate, I wonder if because they're such gobby twats, that Moss thinks controlling a game needs him giving them a little bit back to make them realise he won't yield or something. Or am I giving him too much credit?
Could be. I think those who have reffed and those who have played will have their views about the softer side of the player/official relationship, where it's a word here or a gesture there that help grease the wheels rather than throwing cards around and adding to the official match report, and fans probably are naive to much of the chatter that goes on among players, coaches and officials. But as a layman I can't think of what Moss thought he was doing other than getting even in a petty tit for tat during a match, which for me referees should be above regardless of the situation on the pitch.

Good question about asking anyone who's reffed, it would be good to hear their take and possibly stories of them bantering with players. It could be Gosling's just a bit of a wet blanket.

Morpheus 7

I imagine being at the centre of a game going a million miles an hour is very hard, especially with players in your face saying you're shit, etc.

So by that logic, it would be understandable for someone working in a complaints department to do the same. Referee's shouldn't be abused but it's about taking control of the game, making sly comments during the game benefits nobody. He lost his discipline and deserves to be pulled up on it, not performing in his job. He physically looks not up to it, his judgement and decision making has been questioned and now this.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Then Moss should try applying the laws of the game and card them.

There is no reason for a ref to ever be talking shit to the players. Do your job properly and book them if they are being unsportsmanlike.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
In our title season, he told our players in the tunnel after a game he wanted spurs to win the title, I thought for sure given it was on camera he would be finished, instead LCFC re-uploaded the video with it cut out, and nothing happened. totally bizarre, a joke referee in my opinion.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue