The danger of desperation: is it better to act now or should we wait until the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s rotten, it’s not going to start unrotting any time soon. It’s over.

NZT-One

Absolutely act now.

The only question is whether the best manager we can get is available now or whether we should appoint an interim and hire a better manager in the summer. But neither of those scenarios involve Ole staying. There is literally zero benefit in him doing so.

Interim appointments quite often work. Hell, Solskjaer himself did a good job as interim manager despite not actually being all that good a manager in the first place.
But isn't that the biggest danger of such a scenario? I mean, it wasn't only our "incompetent board" who was ready to give the permanent job to Ole prematurely - it was also most of the fanbase, wasn't it? Could be the same here. I mean, I agree, something needs to be done, be that a contract termination in January or June announced today or something behind closed doors but transparent to the players. But when the the top candidate (and I pray we have a list that names a top candidate) isn't available right now (and I don't see anybody who is) then we should be very cautious with sacking people around. Ole could just go back to counter-football. It would be shit for Ronaldo but we shouldn't place too much on his well being, he is a 36 yo striker at the end of the day.

I see the need for acting, maybe even with a bit of ruthless professionalism. But I don't see that the only option in that stack is a sacking. I almost would bet on the fact, that we don't have a convincing succession plan...

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He needs to go as soon as posible, hiring the correct manager is also just as important but that's a different subject. If there isn't someone right now who could be a long term option then get someone as an interim meanwhile (just don't offer him a big contract to say interim if he gets a few good results).

wolvored

But isn't that the biggest danger of such a scenario? I mean, it wasn't only our "incompetent board" who was ready to give the permanent job to Ole prematurely - it was also most of the fanbase, wasn't it? Could be the same here. I mean, I agree, something needs to be done, be that a contract termination in January or June announced today or something behind closed doors but transparent to the players. But when the the top candidate (and I pray we have a list that names a top candidate) isn't available right now (and I don't see anybody who is) then we should be very cautious with sacking people around. Ole could just go back to counter-football. It would be shit for Ronaldo but we shouldn't place too much on his well being, he is a 36 yo striker at the end of the day.

I see the need for acting, maybe even with a bit of ruthless professionalism. But I don't see that the only option in that stack is a sacking. I almost would bet on the fact, that we don't have a convincing succession plan...
No cant you see he cant manage any football. Some of the players are slagging him off now. If we get an interim in we may have a chance of top 4 and be more attractive to top managers in the summer. If we finish 7-12th, which is where we are heading, we wont attract any manager of any use, just someone interested in the money.

Blood Mage

When a club is in freefall as we currently are you simply cannot delay sacking the manager regardless of who else is available. The club should be ashamed for their arrogance and lack of preparation for such a scenario.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No, when the manager needs to be sacked, you sack the manager as soon as possible. That's it. Next you look at your squad and the season. If you can achieve something that season and have a good enough squad, then you get manager who can do that if possible. You don't just write off the season in fecking October/November like our board was ready to do.

Only fecking United overthinks sacking a manager so much. Like everyone is going to turn into Sir Alex.

Moriarty

Threw away 3 points and wasted two weeks when anyone with any sense could see Ole was done after the City game. It’s just farcical how club is run, no doubt whatever we do next will be a shit show as well.
Maybe the Glazers will ride it out until season's end. I suspect Fergie is fighting Ole's corner as well as Woodward.

NZT-One

No cant you see he cant manage any football. Some of the players are slagging him off now. If we get an interim in we may have a chance of top 4 and be more attractive to top managers in the summer. If we finish 7-12th, which is where we are heading, we wont attract any manager of any use, just someone interested in the money.
I don't think that's true. The big managers aren't convinced by current success but by projects, mid-term plans, transfer budgets. The manager we hire now shouldn't just be picked "because he can be successful". Not just that. We need to close the gap to the progressive managers in our league, and the United project is a good one. Maybe it would be even better for a new guy to focus only on the league first. Do you want to see us picked apart by Bayern in CL game? Because there is a good chance that this will happen. Obviously I also think, that a different manager can get more out of this team than Ole does. But that doesn't mean we are challenging right from the start just because a different manager is there. We still have the Ronaldo challenge, Maguire, Lindelof and injury prone Varane. Still AWB who cant attack and McFred, Matic and maybe after the winter Pogba. Add to that our squad who is stacked with strikers while only having one winger... That doesn't just go away by getting rid of Ole. So the chances for a Tuchel wonder kind of thing are relatively low for us. If these are low, is the chance-risk ratio of doing something faster instead of more thouroghly prepare really good?

I don't know. What I know is, that actions without a real plan brought us that mess. I would prefer to exit that emergency mode at some point and get proactive.

Roboc7

Maybe the Glazers will ride it out until season's end. I suspect Fergie is fighting Ole's corner as well as Woodward.
No chance of him making it, he’s done and has been for weeks, just a question of then and this is probably it now.

CM21

. . . As bad as the situation is and as clear as it is that something needs to be done, calm heads need to prevail. . .
. . .As bad as the situation is, it is not a time for desperation,.
The key to being a good WUM is not contradicting yourself in the same damn post :lol: . Poor effort.

Winrar

Speaking in cliches: the best time to sack him was after Leicester. Second best time is today.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Speaking in cliches: the best time to sack him was after Leicester. Second best time is today.
Europa League final loss was the best time. Better yet after Leicester FA cup semi

Trequarista10

I was for waiting until the right manager came available, but now I'm done. Anyone would be better than this. Even if it's a caretaker. The team needs a lift and someone with some different ideas asap, because Ole's are not working and will not work.

ForeverRed1

Act of desperation? We could be 9th in the league by tomorrow.

Third highest amount of goals conceded in the league.. not scoring, not playing attractive football... no trophies, when we do win, generally speaking.. we scrape them with late wins and comebacks...

We have had three convincing wins this season.. Leeds, Newcastle and Tottenham.. all have been pretty bad this season. Lost as many games as we have won...

Is there really any reason to continue with him? Have we ever played good football under ole apart from a few good runs? How many times does he need to scrape through to keep his job?

he’s taken us as far as he can now.. time for something different...

Jibbs

I say talk to Eric Ten Hag. If he is ready to come in winter break, it is wonderful, otherwise appoint VDS first as CEO and an interim manager, than appoint ETH in summer.

Winrar

Europa League final loss was the best time. Better yet after Leicester FA cup semi
Retrospectively speaking those were definitely better times to do so without rewarding him with a 3 year contract.

But I saw progress year over year so this year maybe I thought things would get better and with the additions this summer I thought we were going to be serious contenders. Obviously I was horribly wrong on that account.

Banana Republic

Unless they have somebody lined up and ready, it has to be a caretaker manager or team.
We face Villarreal in a crucial CL game in 3 days time, with a real risk of going out, especially now with squad moral being rock bottom.
Chelsea up next in a weeks time.

The worry is, that the caretakers will be from the existing set up.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Retrospectively speaking those were definitely better times to do so without rewarding him with a 3 year contract.

But I saw progress year over year so this year maybe I thought things would get better and with the additions this summer I thought we were going to be serious contenders. Obviously I was horribly wrong on that account.
Yes performances were not good. We just made a steller signing in Ferdnandes. And Ole proved for the second year in a row he couldnt get us over the line

AFC NimbleThumb

You can't just right off a season in November. This obsession with the season coming up, rather than the one you're already competing in is fecking mental
Some were basically writing it off in August. ‘Squad not as good as Citeh, blah blah blah’. ‘Needs a DM, blah blah blah’.

We’ve done this to ourselves.

Someone

Something
We have to act now, anything else would be complete madness. An interim manager would be fine if we can't find someone long term.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Now I finally realize many Man Utd fans are so clueless.

Wait till summer? Sacking managers who are doing a horrid job is as natural as breathing for any football club.

The SAF era is over. Since 2013. Ole should be sacked tonight just like Moyes and Mou were sacked.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Actually, the 2nd best time to sack Ole would’ve been after the Liverpool thrashing…

Then the 3rd best time would’ve been after the City dismantling…

So, this is currently on ‘4th best time to sack Ole’ for the Utd board… and that’s this season - for any remotely ambitious or clued up owners he would’ve gone after the EL final defeat!

Winrar

Actually, the 2nd best time to sack Ole would’ve been after the Liverpool thrashing…

Then the 3rd best time would’ve been after the City dismantling…

So, this is currently on ‘4th best time to sack Ole’ for the Utd board… and that’s this season - for any remotely ambitious or clued up owners he would’ve gone after the EL final defeat!
The signs were there that something like 0-5 Liverpool was going to happen throughout the season. But something he said after the Leicester game didn't really sit well with me, it's not an exact quote but it was something like "I don't know what I have to do to make us play better"

Usually I don't pay too much attention to these quotes but I don't know how anybody can defend someone saying they don't know how to do their job 3 years into it. The #1 defense for Ole was that he needed to take time to implement his style in the team - a defense that I was guilty of making on his behalf - and then he says he doesn't know what to do after 3 years? That is not acceptable at any job let alone for a United manager.

But you do have a point - It's clear that Ole was a dead man walking as soon as the first half of Liverpool game ended, if it wasn't so before.

Irwin99

I don’t want to write off a season but to all those posters saying he has to go now (*** I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you) but what if your options were (a) Rodgers/5th or (b) caretaker to end of season, 8th and a shot at Ten Hag/Poch/ZZ

Worried board jumps to another wrong decision
This is my feeling. Clearly he has to go but I can't really understand the clamour for Rodgers and i'm not really seeing many long term options available. Zidane just doesn't seem a right choice either. I'd hate to go with another underwhelming option just for the sake of getting someone/anyone else. I would much rather we give it to an experienced caretaker for the rest of the season and see how it goes (but for god's sake don't employ him permanently after winning 5 matches or something)

This is a criticism of the board, not Ole, the fans, etc. Conte was probably the best option (no guarantee he would have solved anything) but that ship has sailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.