The danger of desperation: is it better to act now or should we wait until the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastwalker

The more I think about the inevitably of Ole's departure, the more I realise that the lack of succession planning at United means that our incompetent Board will make a knee jerk decision to avoid the opprobrium of fans. As bad as the situation is and as clear as it is that something needs to be done, calm heads need to prevail.

With that in mind, whilst a management change is absolutely essential, is it better that we announce that Ole will be leaving at the end of the season? That would give the club six months to screen and negotiate with possible candidates before pre-season. I agree that it would mean that we may need to retain Ole until May. The alternative would be to appoint an interim manager now, under the same premise (eg: Laurent Blanc, Darren Fletcher, Mike Phelan) would that be any better? The benefit of waiting until the summer for a new manager to take over is that some of the possible candidates, may be reluctant to leave their clubs mid-season.

Waiting might also be better because as we become increasingly frustrated "anyone is better than Solskjaer" seems to be the view of many United fans. Appointing permanently or even temporarily on that basis could leave us in an even worse position.

The risk is that if we look to appoint permanently now, we may struggle to get our preferred candidate. As bad as the situation is, it is not a time for desperation,.

Laurencio

He just lost 4-1 to Watford.... no, end of the season isn't soon enough. The way we are playing we'll be relegated

Infestissumam

not doing anything right now would be the worst choice. I realize the timing sucks because of the lack of options, but we just have to bite the bullet here. Things would only get worse under Ole.

get an interim coach in (I'd actually be fine with Blanc ... maybe Rangnick would be interested?) and then go for ten Hag or Pochettino in the summer.

DarkXaero

Have you seen our recent form? We're beyond waiting till the end of the season at this point.

Skills

Snitch
You can't just right off a season in November. This obsession with the season coming up, rather than the one you're already competing in is fecking mental

The Purley King

When analysing a hand of poker if you have a decision on the river someone might say “as you’ve played it you need to fold now”
They might also say “you fecking butchered this hand from start to finish and you should have folded pre”
The former and the latter both apply to us now.

tomaldinho1

The more I think about the inevitably of Ole's departure, the more I realise that the lack of succession planning at United means that our incompetent Board will make a knee jerk decision to avoid the opprobrium of fans. As bad as the situation is and as clear as it is that something needs to be done, calm heads need to prevail.

With that in mind, whilst a management change is absolutely essential, is it better that we announce that Ole will be leaving at the end of the season? That would give the club six months to screen and negotiate with possible candidates before pre-season. I agree that it would mean that we may need to retain Ole until May. The alternative would be to appoint an interim manager now, under the same premise (eg: Laurent Blanc, Darren Fletcher, Mike Phelan) would that be any better? The benefit of waiting until the summer for a new manager to take over is that some of the possible candidates, may be reluctant to leave their clubs mid-season.

Waiting might also be better because as we become increasingly frustrated "anyone is better than Solskjaer" seems to be the view of many United fans. Appointing permanently or even temporarily on that basis could leave us in an even worse position.

The risk is that if we look to appoint permanently now, we may struggle to get our preferred candidate. As bad as the situation is, it is not a time for desperation,.
Have you missed the last 6 games or so?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He needs to be sacked. Else we face relegation.

But the answer is more Potter than Rodgers.

Irwin99

Interim manager looks by far the best bet and I'd hate a rushed appointment. Would prefer it to be someone experienced like Hiddink, Wenger, etc but knowing our luck it'll be a former player.

Redlyn

Mate we are in relegation form. We should absolutely bring in a care taker. It cannot be worse than now. There are an uncountable number of managers who could come in in a caretaking capacity and it would be better than maintaining this downward spiral.

We shouldnt let fear of the unknown paralyse us into being out of europe completely next season.

hobbers

Funny thread.

Yeh lets piss away the season and finish in the bottom half.

James35

Bloody hell we could get an echo dot to manage the team better than Ole.

He has to go now!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Absolutely act now.

The only question is whether the best manager we can get is available now or whether we should appoint an interim and hire a better manager in the summer. But neither of those scenarios involve Ole staying. There is literally zero benefit in him doing so.

Interim appointments quite often work. Hell, Solskjaer himself did a good job as interim manager despite not actually being all that good a manager in the first place.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If there was a guy available who wanted to join is, who was the new Pep/Klopp, then of course making the best of the rest of the season would be wise.

However, there isn't, only potentials who "could" step up, or more experienced types like Zidane, or previously Conte, who have and do win stuff now.
If you can get Zidane in now, it makes very wise sense. He has the pedigree and has the big name player management skills.

If we can't get him, then you do worry what's next up.

Roboc7

Threw away 3 points and wasted two weeks when anyone with any sense could see Ole was done after the City game. It’s just farcical how club is run, no doubt whatever we do next will be a shit show as well.

Amira

Even Ole was competent as an interim manager. So why would that be a bad idea now?

The problem is getting ahead of yourself and handing him an extension rather than focusing on the original plan and looking for a permanent manager with proven credentials.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I initially thought our best bet would be to keep ole till season end but I just never expected this dive in form. We are playing as badly now as I’ve ever seen and the players appeared to have downed tools. I can’t face all this backlash on the players when the root cause is starring us right in the face. Sad to say but get him gone tonight!

Chipper

Adulterer.
There's still plenty to play and fight for this season so would absolutely prefer now.

The average manager only lasts 2 years in the PL anyway. Two-thirds of a season is a considerable chunk of that and would be a lot to give up on.

Rockets Redglare

We’d genuinely be at risk of relegation with him in charge. Bring someone decent in and we should get top four, it’s that simple.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

:lol:

AFC NimbleThumb

Sacking OgS in itself isn’t the wrong decision. Getting carried away with any uplift from his successor in a caretaker capacity, as we did with him, would be.

He should have gone some time ago.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We just got beat 4-1 against Watford mate

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Has to be now. New manager will give everyone a fair shake whilst weeding out the weak and substandard, most of those happen to be Ole favourites. Players who are clearly talented but almost certain to leave if Ole stays will be unlocked and maybe an integral part of the team. A new manager now can salvage top 4 and maybe a cup run, whereas Ole staying is mid table finish and could see the like of Pogba, VDB, Martial, Bailly, Cavani and even Ronaldo gone. Then it’s another rebuild job of two years and £300m.

Teja

Any good links yet? Surely that can't sack him and give it to yet another United old boy to manage?

SER19

The longer you allow mediocrity to persist, the more it becomes embedded. I love solskjaer, always will, but he simply has to go now. This long term vision idea needs to die too. You get the best coach available for the players you have, and right now, solskjaer is not that.

Flying high

I agree that we shouldn't rush into getting a new permanent manager, but there's no way Ole can stay now.

Redfrog

Joke of a thread. Close that nonsense.
At this rate we will be in the championship at the end of the season.

PoTMS

What kind of question is this? What the feck is wrong with some of our fans?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It would have been better to have acted last summer, or actually even better, in summer of 2019.

Now ideally you'd want to wait until next summer but failing managerial reigns usually engender a downward spiral of results that make non-action very difficult.

A result and performance like today, as culmination of this season's many horrible performances, no choice whatsoever. Sack the clown.

wolvored

Improbable but suppose he wins the last 8 games of the season and we scrape 4th? This incompetent board would look at it as a positive and probably keep him on. No he needs to go now. If we are desperate have Ronaldo, Bruno or a senior player as interim until the end of season. Even take Lampard as an interim, thats how desperate we need to be, just feck Ole off.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Improbable but suppose he wins the last 8 games of the season and we scrape 4th? This incompetent board would look at it as a positive and probably keep him on. No he needs to go now. If we are desperate have Ronaldo, Bruno or a senior player as interim until the end of season. Even take Lampard as an interim, thats how desperate we need to be, just feck Ole off.
Not just keep him on but give him another extension

::sonny::

If you wait till the summer next season you are going to play in the championship

The situation is already desperate considering the current form and the absolute inability to win a game against any opponent

The Dane

He has to go before our next match on Tuesday. Even no Manager and the players just meet half an hour before the game and agree on the tactics and the line up is better than this.

DizeeGorilla20

I was thinking the same. I mean what if (as crazy as it sounds) he somehow fluked a Champions League win or something in the same way Di Matteo did with Chelsea?

No way would the board sack him them and we'll just find ourselves in the same position next season. Get him out now. If we lose under a caretaker, so what, we're losing now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.