The dangerous logic in saying "Ole needs to finish the season"

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've seen this line by a lot of supporters who have now realized Ole isn't the right man for the job and of course Rio, Scholes, Neville have said the same.

I find this a terribly dangerous proposition, and the ex-players have put themselves to shame by suggesting this. I fully understand the protection of Ole as he's an absolute legend, and for ex-players they never want to say he needs to go outright. But they can critique the style of play and the press etc. and indirectly suggest this, rather than say "he needs the season".

If Ole stays I think it's plausible that we win nothing and fall out of top 4. Of course our quality is too high and I think we will more likely finish 4th, but there will be toxicity and unrest among big players on the way. The likes of Bruno is negotiating a new contract now, of course Pogba is in talks and the likes of Ronaldo and Varane will be disgruntled by the mess. We will become a less attractive "project" for big players in the future after yet another season with a mile off the top and starting 6 months too late with a new manager.

Gary Neville himself says "Ole needs this season" before also saying "he needs a trophy". Can anyone explain this logic to me? We are out the title race probably, we are out the Carabao Cup. Does he think we will win the Champions League? Or is he insinuating the FA Cup should be sufficient for him to get a 4th crack? Does he even think Ole can win the FA Cup?! Surely not.

And for any other supporters saying Ole needs at least this season before the summer to revisit coaching staff, can you explain why? I'm not seeing the case for keeping him even for another week from any angle. I'd rather get an actual coach on caretaker, even someone like Blanc in for 8 months. It's clear there is nothing implemented with this side and it's only going to get more toxic.

Pace Abuser

There's no logic. It's just a fetish many fans have borne out of moral superiority. They can't let go of the fact the Wenger and Fergie eras are never coming back.

Ole needs to be sacked. He's admitted himself he's a clueless mess. So why should the club and fans give him anything?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its 8 games in and we are still top of the champions league group, its way too early to treat the season as a write off and either let him manage it out or look for a caretaker manager. A good manager can salvage everything.

He can't possibly finish the season; there is no way back from yesterday. The team is regressing and Ole doesn't know how to turn it around. What's more, it's unfair on Ole to leave him dangling any longer. Put the poor guy out of his misery and let him get on with his life. Keeping him for another six months is just more time wasted. It's over now, end it.

Chairman Steve

Us not getting Top 4 is the fecking same as a mid to lower Premier League team getting relegated. If Palace or Soton are bottom 3, shipping goals for fun after spending a lot of money, they’re not going to give their manager the end of the season and hope for the best, they’re sacking that manager and getting a new guy in sharpish.

Why United is some kind of special case where that shouldn’t happen is idiotic.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Its 8 games in and we are still top of the champions league group, its way too early to treat the season as a write off and either let him manage it out or look for a caretaker manager. A good manager can salvage everything.
So you ignore the clear signs of failure, until it gets beyond breaking point?

Look at how Chelsea turned their season around from pure shit to winning the CL with a proper manager.

It's not like we have an old dusted squad that needs millions to rebuild, we've got class players - but very little cohesion or idea of what they're doing.

Get somebody in to properly drill them and we will be up there with the best.

EVERYBODY can see how bad we are coached/tactically poor.

Revan

Assumptionman
United fans, Neville, Rio and Scholes not having any logic? I am so surprised.

Agree with the OP. The season is there to be saved with the FA Cup, UCL and the fourth place still on play. The league is unfortunate already gone, but we can still get something from this season. No reason at all to destroy yet another one by being stubborn idiots.

Ronaldo and Cavani have very little time left at this level of football, but sure let’s write off the season for them and 20 other players to be nice to the manager.

All that is really important is being nice to an incredibly well paid bloke who was given the chance of a lifetime for 3 years.

Shambolic madness.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
So you ignore the clear signs of failure, until it gets beyond breaking point?

Look at how Chelsea turned their season around from pure shit to winning the CL with a proper manager.

It's not like we have an old dusted squad that needs millions to rebuild, we've got class players - but very little cohesion or idea of what they're doing.

Get somebody in to properly drill them and we will be up there with the best.

EVERYBODY can see how bad we are coached/tactically poor.
I think you are agreeing with me?

Jacob

I can see United replacing Ole the last day of the transfer window in the summer, giving no time for the new manager to make his mark.

OverratedOpinion

I think the biggest risk of him getting the rest of this season is that the players are too good to not go on a decent run at some point. If they can't get rid of him now then they definitely won't then.

Nickelodeon

I don't believe Neville can say that without having any ulterior motive. Whether it is Mates FC or some other angle, but he was hapless in trying to explain how Ole has brought stability. He was confident in saying that Ole will be given the entire season. Utterly disgraceful from everyone involved. If these guys are our legends, then better to have a hall of fame like City.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Exactly, yesterday's result was the clearest indication he's not winning or competing for anything this season. I was fine giving him til the end of the season, provided he at least could show we could still be competitive and challenge, but he's now showing that is now not even possible.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Reckon we finish 7th if he stays.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ole absolutely does not need to see out the season.

A massive concern is we have a board who are in the running for most clueless in the league - in fact, it's difficult to not see them as the most incompetent of all.

At least the oil clubs completely insulate themselves with football people at every level who make the decisions and run the clubs from top to bottom, whilst we are constantly hamstrung from impartial input that is rarely constructive to the club or a positive structure going forward.

Our biggest issue is flailing from one calamity straight into another, but doing nothing about what's going on is gross negligence and must be arrested.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There is no club on earth that exhibits the cult of a manager as much as ours...not even Liverpool. These are the effects of having only two successful managers in our history. We are the only club in this country that talks about long-term manager. Heck, we are the only club that even calls the head coach, manager. It's going to take an awful lot for this culture to change. Deep down somewhere, some fans and people at the club are still hoping Ole can turn this around. That why they are willing to sacrifice a season for that hope.

AFC NimbleThumb

Currently it’s what we deserve, after yesterday his position should be untenable but our fans like to play Top Red Olympics. If he’s allowed to finish the season we will get what we deserve.

Kcocymkcus

Yes but he's not a good manager.

Let me ask you this. If someone put a gun to your loved ones heads and said 'Ole wins the Prem or the CL and they live....if he doesn't, they die....or you can walk away now, fancy the gamble?

Which way would you swing? Honestly?

Roboc7

There’s no logic to it, the team is performing the same as when Hose was sacked. The environment might not be toxic but it’s still untenable for it to continue and there’s no upside.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Even if Ole turns it around and get some results, I think he should be removed. It's becoming clear he can't take us any further ahead and keeping him here till the end of the season will probably damage some good work he had done

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's out the title race and he's out the Carabao Cup. He's not winning the Champions League, if that's what you're insinuating. So not sure what is salvageable here.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
"manager should see out the season, who is available" is a poor reasoning. Look at 2/3 clubs that are favorites to win the league and when did they hire the manager.

If the manager is not good enough then he isn't good enough. Few more games won't change anything.

Holocene

He's out the title race and he's out the Carabao Cup. He's not winning the Champions League, if that's what you're insinuating. So not sure what is salvageable here.
I think they're agreeing with your point. That a new manager can come in now and still end up having a good season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Those who say that believe that Ole will somehow get himself out of this mess probably through winning the FA cup or making it to top 4. They don't care about United's progression or future as long as their man is still manager.

Legend16

You need to be a moron or an opposition fan to have any interest in Ole staying til 5pm today. He is a club Legend. He is out of his depth. And being publicly humiliated. This is utterly traumatic for him (cant imagine how his family are feeling right now) and the right thing to do is to end it before it gets worse for him and United. Today. It was a bad idea, a decision made by incompetent controllers. It's not his fault. He's just not able.

led_scholes

This Ole bashing is getting tiresome. One poor game and everyone is going do lally. Not even a quarter of the season gone , all the teams will take points off each other.
One poor game? Apart from Newcastle, and Atalanta 2nd half, we have been outplayed by everyone.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
"manager should see out the season, who is available" is a poor reasoning. Look at 2/3 clubs that are favorites to win the league and when did they hire the manager.

If the manager is not good enough then he isn't good enough. Few more games won't change anything.
Indeed. There are literal PL and CL winners without a job right now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This Ole bashing is getting tiresome. One poor game and everyone is going do lally. Not even a quarter of the season gone , all the teams will take points off each other.
What Ole bashing?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If they dither and we end up out of the top four a new manager has to start next year losing pogba and a few other players, playing in the europa or europa conference. It'll be another write off year.

Better to cut ties immediately and spend the rest of the year carefully planning the future while either getting the long term guy in charge immediately n he gets a free hit or get a caretaker and new guy comes in the summer.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Is it common amongst pundits to shout a manager should be sacked immediately? I don't think so, and I doubt this is their real opinion as well.

Makes most sense to change a manager in second part of the season. Ole should be given chance to finish this difficult passage of games and then fire him.

One point from twelve in the league, with a very tough run of fixtures ahead. I said before yesterday's game a heavy defeat could see things become toxic; well, here we are. We need to be bold and change it now, before we sink even further. We don't have time to waste, if we are to turn this around.

Frank Grimes

What Ole bashing?
Some people seem to think he's not up to bringing us the major titles, mate. Obviously weren't around in 89/90 when some impatient fans were calling for Sir Alex's head. Look through a lot of these forums and Ole is getting pelters, crazy I know(the Atalanta game was less than 5 days ago). The modern fan wants everything on tap.

Woodzy

We are very, very lucky to be top of the Champions League group as far as results go.

I didn't see the Atalanta game, but we certainly didn't deserve anything against Villerael and there's nothing to show that we are capable of beating the other teams in our group for the remaining games.