The Daredevil Draft R1 | Edgar Allan Pillow vs 2mufc0

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

------------------------------ EDGAR ALLAN PILLOW --------------------------------------------------------------------- 2MUFC0 --------------------------------------

EAP's write up:

Formation: 4-2-3-1

Tactics:

Nothing much to explain here. The players and their roles should be straight forward. Some points to highlight:

+ A backline that is defensively stout and has a good mix of players who can bring the ball out and contribute to attack too.
+ A solid midfield who can provide adequate shielding. Hardworking plus Pirri's passing and Mazzola all round contribution makes a good blend and creativity in the middle.
+ Super strong wings. Top notch wingers aided by one-man flank fullbacks!
+ Classic CF who can not only score but also create making a cohesive attack.

Why I'll win:

+ Better flanks.
+ Better defence.
+ Better attack.
+ Solid midfield that won't be bullied by opposition.

2mufc0's write up:

The team is built to give Don Alfredo centre stage with tireless runners and movement around him, he is surrounded by players who will allow him to take the reigns in attack and build up maximising his impact on the game. The frontline is packed with movement and pace creating space to expose and giving the Don plenty of options with his passing range. The defence and midfield provide a solid base with a strong spine able to absorb pressure and create a strong defensive wall which will be very difficult to break down.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@2mufc0

Which version of Bastian is it and how attacking will the full backs be? Just trying to get a better idea of how you will play

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I put Edgar as 4th and 2mucf0 as 3rd in the ranking (although that has something to do with me wanting to avoid Cafu/Garrincha). Now, looking on the paper, 2mucf0 looks stronger. Different CB's and it is almost final ready.

@2mufc0 do you play the high line?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Edgar Allan Pillow

I may as well ask this before someone else does. How will the Cafu and Garrincha flank work? Won't the latter just ball hog and not pass it to Cafu making the latters forward runs redundant? I'm not necessarily saying this is my position but it is certainly a common view of Garrincha

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Both teams look really good to me, and @2mufc0's midfield is of course enormous. Maybe there are some synergy issues on both teams' right flank - I actually think a RB switch would help either side.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
We should add another default rule to the footage one – if you pick Cafu when you have Garrincha, you should be disqualified :p

It always hurts me to say him in this set up, it basically takes away half of his game. Garrincha is probably the only (at least of the top ones) winger, who completely disregards his fullback as an offensive option. For a good reason, of course, as he was pretty effective on his own, but still, I just hate to see him next to an attacking fullback, especially of Cafu’a quality :(

harms

Staff
It’s a very, very good team other than that though and even then it’s not like Cafu is exposed here – he’s just not fully (or at all) utilizing his attacking potential. Still, at the moment I’m leaning towards 2mufc0, it’s such a tasty set up for Di Stefano!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
How will the Cafu and Garrincha flank work? Won't the latter just ball hog and not pass it to Cafu making the latters forward runs redundant? I'm not necessarily saying this is my position but it is certainly a common view of Garrincha
It always hurts me to say him in this set up, it basically takes away half of his game. Garrincha is probably the only (at least of the top ones) winger, who completely disregards his fullback as an offensive option.
The team doesn't necessarily have to be a one trick "give to Garrincha and relax" pony. Garrincha's game does not need Cafu, but having him disrupting the Opposition defence would definitely make Garrincha's job easier.

1. Having Cafu creates a mismatch vs opposition fullbacks. Now Cole has to make a positional call between Garrincha cutting in ahead of him and Cafu creating width by the sidelines...and leaving either free would be a disaster.
2. It stretches the defence opening up more spaces for Garrincha.
3. Cafu's crossing creates an additional way to get the ball to my forwards.

It'd be a straight forward tactics just to have a defensive fullback on Garrincha and hope to control him. But Cafu there means such a tactic is not available for my opponents.

Jim Beam

We should add another default rule to the footage one – if you pick Cafu when you have Garrincha, you should be disqualified :p

It always hurts me to say him in this set up, it basically takes away half of his game. Garrincha is probably the only (at least of the top ones) winger, who completely disregards his fullback as an offensive option. For a good reason, of course, as he was pretty effective on his own, but still, I just hate to see him next to an attacking fullback, especially of Cafu’a quality :(
Djalma played behind, not the most attacking player. You don't think he would adjust a bit with Cafu? I mean, I wouldn't call him selfish.

Jim Beam

The matchup's really is there to my advantage.

Vierchowod/Shesternyov vs Suarez is more favorable to me than Elkjer vs Terry/Silva.
Plus Garrincha will definitely have the better end of this matchup.
That midfield is fantastic though. Gento and Suarez on top, not so convinced with Hamrin.

CB's are the weak spot and Elkjaer would have a good game most likely.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That midfield is fantastic though. Gento and Suarez on top, not so convinced with Hamrin.

CB's are the weak spot and Elkjaer would have a good game most likely.
Can't deny that. But with Stiles and Pirri, I do have a solid pair that won't be completely bullied in the game. Mazzola adds a lot of defensive workrate too.
Garrincha getting past Cole is likely to happen more (esp with Cafu creating problems there too).
Elkjaer will definitely have joy there.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@2mufc0

Which version of Bastian is it and how attacking will the full backs be? Just trying to get a better idea of how you will play
Would like to use world cup winning Schweinstieger sitting in front of the defence. Full backs are balanced, I actually think I've got his biggest threat covered with Cole down the left as he was pretty solid in defence supported by Silva and Bastian.
I put Edgar as 4th and 2mucf0 as 3rd in the ranking (although that has something to do with me wanting to avoid Cafu/Garrincha). Now, looking on the paper, 2mucf0 looks stronger. Different CB's and it is almost final ready.

@2mufc0 do you play the high line?
I think my graphic is a bit off that's a bit higher than I would like to, so not particularly high really.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Good luck @Edgar Allan Pillow .

I know Terry is a cnut but I think he's upto the physical challenge against Elkjaer, Terry was an immense defender to be fair and doesn't get fairly rated in drafts. In terms of achievements he's done more than Elkjaer in his career.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Would like to use world cup winning Schweinstieger sitting in front of the defence. Full backs are balanced, I actually think I've got his biggest threat covered with Cole down the left as he was pretty solid in defence supported by Silva and Bastian.
:cool:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
As for @2mufc0's defence, I probably rate it a good deal higher than most here, especially due to Thiago Silva. Don't think Terry & him will be bullied easily, even though Elkjaer will be a nuisance for any defense.

Cole/Silva/Schweinsteiger is also a great triangle to keep Edgar's right flank in check; Gento seemed decent defensively as well from what I've seen.

harms

Staff
Djalma played behind, not the most attacking player. You don't think he would adjust a bit with Cafu? I mean, I wouldn't call him selfish.
Djalma had a reputation of an attacking fullback (obviously the era has to be taken in consideration), so I think it’s actually a point against Garrincha here. He wasn’t as selfish as his reputation suggests, I guess, but his service only went to other attackers who had occupied other zones – Pelé, Didi and the likes (insert Didi’s crossing story). I haven’t seen him sharing the ball with anyone in his domain though, and he was pretty unique at that – I can’t think of another winger that I’d feel is as incomparable with an attacking fullback as Mane was.

He doesn’t need overlapping fullback to lure defenders out or to create space for him – that’s why he was so great, he did that all of that by himself simply by using his feet. It’s very intriguing to think about how his playing style would’ve developed today, but he isn’t playing today – and for me he still remains the worst possible wing partner for any offensive fullback.

Jim Beam

Djalma had a reputation of an attacking fullback (obviously the era has to be taken in consideration), so I think it’s actually a point against Garrincha here. He wasn’t as selfish as his reputation suggests, I guess, but his service only went to other attackers who had occupied other zones – Pelé, Didi and the likes (insert Didi’s crossing story). I haven’t seen him sharing the ball with anyone in his domain though, and he was pretty unique at that – I can’t think of another winger that I’d feel is as incomparable with an attacking fullback as Mane was.

He doesn’t need overlapping fullback to lure defenders out or to create space for him – that’s why he was so great, he did that all of that by himself simply by using his feet. It’s very intriguing to think about how his playing style would’ve developed today, but he isn’t playing today – and for me he still remains the worst possible wing partner for any offensive fullback.
Fair points, I probably also wouldn't pair them, but on first look and without much thinking it looks like a great flank. I also admit I didn't watch so much of Brazil in 1958 and 1962, so I have always felt a bit uncomfortable in picking any player from that team. Guess it also didn't cross Edgar mind as they were his 1st and 2nd pick. Speaking of... why the hell Luis Suarez Miramontes isn't playing? :confused: I had a feeling this team looked better after drafting phase in comparison to what you assembled in this game, but only now realized that you benched him.

Mind you, 2mufc would still probably take this, just looks too strong.

harms

Staff
Fair points, I probably also wouldn't pair them, but on first look and without much thinking it looks like a great flank. I also admit I didn't watch so much of Brazil in 1958 and 1962, so I have always felt a bit uncomfortable in picking any player from that team. Guess it also didn't cross Edgar mind as they were his 1st and 2nd pick. Speaking of... why the hell Luis Suarez Miramontes isn't playing? :confused: I had a feeling this team looked better after drafting phase in comparison to what you assembled in this game, but only now realized that you benched him.

Mind you, 2mufc would still probably take this, just looks too strong.
I’m sure that it’s not the first time he has paired them together although it’s entirely possible that I’m confusing him with someone. My reaction is a bit over the top since it’s not the first time I see them paired together (with Cafu going in very early stages of the drafting), which absolutely baffles me – if you rate Cafu that highly (and rightly so), don’t put him in such an environment where he can’t showcase his best qualities.

He has Suarez on his bench? Weird, especially since he has a great understanding with Mazzola.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I was disappointed as well when Edgar picked Cafu after Garrincha. Not much to add apart from what harms has already said.

Coming to the game, the teams look very similar and very close.

2mufc0 wins my vote because -

1. Terry on a first look does look perfect against Elkjaer
2. As good and balanced as Edgar's midfield is, 2mufc0's is at a completely different level.

Som emore things that I don't like -

1. Hamrin without an attacking fullback.
2. Bastian as a holder. Play a double B2B pivot, you have Di Stefano ahead of them FFS!
3. Dont rate Thiago Silva that much in an all time sense.

I do seem to dislike more things in 2mufc0's team :confused:

Jim Beam

Shame, for shame, changing my vote.
You have some strange reasoning lately. :D I will trust your and harms judgement on Cafu/Garrincha. The only other thing I agree with (aside from difference in midfield quality) is Hamrin without an attacking FB and by the look of things both wingers have perfect partners in the other team.

Still not sure how Pirri/Stiles can get away against that midfield. The only argument to be had is that Edgar would be really dangerous on the counter, but that makes the decision to not play Miramontes even more weird.