The David Moyes appreciation thread

TrustInOle

Of course. Moyes inherited a dynasty, a team that finished 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st and had been at the CL final 3 times in the past 4 years.

He managed to dismantle that legacy, erode the institutional knowledge of the coaching staff, and just create a culture of inferiority around the club.

By contrast, Ole inherited a team that finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 6th and had only won minor trophies (FA Cup, UEFA).

I'm not saying Ole is better than Moyes or vice versa, but to elevate Moyes to anything beyond mediocrity is lunacy.
Just looking back on them numbers, it feels almost dreamlike we were once so dominant. 1 point separation in a 7 year span of championships is insane, and quite possibly our strongest ever run, in a time oil money was starting to take effect. The great man really saved his best till last. Jeez I miss him. :(

Edit: also forgot to mention 3 champions league finals, only losing to the best team of that generation. Simply wow.

stevoc

Rooney and Carrick are fair play.

Fletcher was done at this point. Next season under LVG played few games, didn't convince, was sold in Jan.

Rafael, he was becoming injury prone by Moyes seaosn and after LVG sold him, again in Jan of his first season in charge, he did absolutely nothing in the rest of his career. He had a great season when we last won the title, but didn't convince for the next parts of his career, at United or after it.

Evans, not better than our current 2 main defenders imho, though it's a point that many will argue about.

Chicharito, he was a squad player that you thew in when you are losing or pressing to get 1 more goal. Of course a solid option on the bench but he was never a main starter player and couldn't become later on either.

Nani, LVG sent him on loan once he got the job then got sold. Did nothing after he left either.

The problem is you are evaluating this squad based on names. Yes, on the paper the names are far better than now, but on the pitch is a different story. It was a squad that consisted of majorly washed out players that Fergie made one last push with and squeezed everything form the majority of them in his last season. That was it for them. It was time for the majority of them to move on and start a rebuild. We didn't, so what happened happened. LvG came and sold the majority of them, but ended up replacing them with bad players too, which didn't solve the problem.

Both this squad and the current one needed/needs a rebuild and both of them hired the wrong manager for that imo.
I'd say your problem is you evaluating those names and that squad with the most negative and pessimistic slant possible and well just exaggerating in parts. The squad had just won the league, Fergie was a genius not a magician, it was still a bloody good squad despite the fact it needed some key recruits. And it was far batter and more experienced than the current one. That is obvious to anyone with even a bit of objectivity on the matter.

No idea what your angle is if you are a Moyes fan boy or more likely just want to have a moan about Solskjaer but i honestly can't be arsed debating each one of your points individually and explaining how i disagree with the majority of them. So lets just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

stevoc

Of course. Moyes inherited a dynasty, a team that finished 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st and had been at the CL final 3 times in the past 4 years.

He managed to dismantle that legacy, erode the institutional knowledge of the coaching staff, and just create a culture of inferiority around the club.

By contrast, Ole inherited a team that finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 6th and had only won minor trophies (FA Cup, UEFA).

I'm not saying Ole is better than Moyes or vice versa, but to elevate Moyes to anything beyond mediocrity is lunacy.
I definitely agree with that mate, it's people re-writing history to use it as a stick to beat Ole with. When theres absolutely no need, Ole's done enough to criticize him on his own without bullshit comparisons.

stevoc

Questioning everything he asked them to do/not to do for starters, and encouraging impressionable youngsters like Adnan to do the same.
Lets be honest mate none of us know if the players really done that. All we really had to go off for the most part was tabloid articles which obviously could have been made up or leaked by staff other than the players.

And whats the bit about Januzaj?

el3mel

I'd say your problem is you evaluating those names and that squad with the most negative and pessimistic slant possible and well just exaggerating in parts. The squad had just won the league, Fergie was a genius not a magician, it was still a bloody good squad despite the fact it needed some key recruits. And it was far batter and more experienced than the current one. That is obvious to anyone with even a bit of objectivity on the matter.

No idea what your angle is if you are a Moyes fan boy or more likely just want to have a moan about Solskjaer but i honestly can't be arsed debating each one of you points individually and explaining how i disagree with the majority of them. So lets just agree to disagree.
I was about to replay, then the second paragraph came, and I got it it was totally pointless to have any sort of discussion with you from the start. Ok.

b82REZ

Questioning everything he asked them to do/not to do for starters, and encouraging impressionable youngsters like Adnan to do the same.
Any good manager or leader should welcome their staff/players questioning them.

Moyes was unbelievably arrogant and thought the SAF endorsement made him immune from criticism and scrutiny.

decorativeed

I actually worked for United at the time Moyes was in charge. My first day at work had me wiping the sweat and champagne off the Community Shield. I didn't have the feeling it would be the first of many we'd win with him, as I'd watched a lot of his football at Everton with my ex, and it was almost always dire stuff.

Anyway, one day we went on a trip to Carrington, although the players had finished training for the day and gone home. Only Phil Neville was still around, running laps around one of the pitches, or so we thought. The manager's office overlooked this pitch, with a sign above the door that read 'Davd Moyes' (yes, they had misspelled his name and he'd either not noticed or had been too meek to bring it up with anyone). It had tinted windows, so I put my hands up to my brow, pressed onto the glass and tried to have a nosey inside. After about 20 seconds of scanning it for objects of interest, I realised Moyes himself was sat motionless at his desk staring at me. That just about summed up his tenure for me.

Last edited:

Suedesi

:eek:
I actually worked for United at the time Moyes was in charge. My first day at work had me wiping the sweat and champagne off the Community Shield. I didn't have the feeling it would be the first of many we'd win with him, as I'd watched a lot of his football at Everton with my ex, and it was almost always dire stuff.

Anyway, one day we went on a trip to Carrington, although the players had finished training for the day and gone home. Only Phil Neville was still around, running laps around one of the pitches, or so we thought. The manager's office overlooked this pitch, with a sign above the door that read 'Davd Moyes' (yes, they had misspelled bis name and he'd either not noticed or had been too meek to bring it up with anyone). It had tinted windows, so I put my hands up to my brow, pressed onto the glass and tried to have a nosey inside. After about 20 seconds of scanning it for objects of interest it that I realised Moyes was sat motionless at his desk staring at me. That just about summed up his tenure for me.
WTF :lol:

tomaldinho1

Anyway, one day we went on a trip to Carrington, although the players had finished training for the day and gone home. Only Phil Neville was still around, running laps around one of the pitches, or so we thought. The manager's office overlooked this pitch, with a sign above the door that read 'Davd Moyes' (yes, they had misspelled bis name and he'd either not noticed or had been too meek to bring it up with anyone). It had tinted windows, so I put my hands up to my brow, pressed onto the glass and tried to have a nosey inside. After about 20 seconds of scanning it for objects of interest it that I realised Moyes was sat motionless at his desk staring at me. That just about summed up his tenure for me.
Was this the reason you used to work there out of interest? Caught snooping by the man himself.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

The idiot can't even spell his own name right.

decorativeed

Was this the reason you used to work there out of interest? Caught snooping by the man himself.
No, nothing like that. I just moved on. One of the happiest days working there was when I got my email from Ed Woodward, saying they'd parted ways with Moyes though. I knew about 5 mins before the press. It's pretty much the only time I was ever ITK on anything!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Moyes never really had the dressing room, and the players did not respect him. His small time press conferences didn't help either. If Ole loses the dressing room he too will go
I got news for you buddy. Even if Ole has the dressing room on side, if he languishes in mid-table, he'll be gone.
Woodward doesn't know much about football, but what he does know is the league position. He'll know that we are barely above the relegation zone and if this continues, Ole is not the man to back with 100s of millions.
Woodward has a history of publicly backing managers and then firing them. LVG was repeatedly reassured, even when Woodie was in talks with Jose. Same with Moyes (a couple of weeks later, he got fired).

When Ole is fired, he won't see it coming. He'll believe that being near the relegation zone is perfectly fine. Woodie will eventually tell him that this is not acceptable and that he is being relieved of his duties.
When LVG and Jose were fired, neither was given any warning - Ole will suffer the same fate.

I thought this was damning, from LVG
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47704834
At present, nothing has changed from Van Gaal's time, with Woodward in overall charge and Matt Judge, who has a masters degree in economics and finance and 13 years' experience in investment banking, negotiating fees and contracts. United are adamant their priority is the football side and success on pitch is the objective for everyone at the club. Van Gaal does not agree.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Ferguson was certainly able to keep a dressing room of strong characters together in a way Moyes never would. That Moyes season shambles set the new culture of the past 6 years.

If the club was unsure of post-Fergue succession they should have hit up a proven flexible manager like Ancelotti for three years while providing a major backstage overhaul after a detailed review. Ancelotti would have been a good sounding board for this with his experience working at many of the other big clubs.
I'm not gonna ask you why you think Davd Moyes wouldn't be able to keep a dressing room of strong characters together because you might answer me, but of course SAF could, it was his dressing room, it was his way or the highway, but it didn't happen overnight, far from it. He was given time to bounce out players who weren't pulling in the same direction(McGrath and Whiteside, two crowd favourites the obvious examples), Moyes wasn't, and the worst thing was those who were pushing back hardest at Moyes were finished at the top level and on their way out of the club anyway, at least some of them have had the decency to put their hands up since and say they got it badly wrong.

In hindsight we can all suggest what the club maybe should have done post SAF, personally can't see the point.

momo83

Massive Snowflake

Ole inherited a team that finished 2nd. He took over a team that was 8th in the league (Maybe I’m wrong) where the team finished at the end of the season is down to him. If he had qualified for the CL no one would have credited it to Mourinho.

fps

I'm not gonna ask you why you think Davd Moyes wouldn't be able to keep a dressing room of strong characters together because you might answer me, but of course SAF could, it was his dressing room, it was his way or the highway, but it didn't happen overnight, far from it. He was given time to bounce out players who weren't pulling in the same direction(McGrath and Whiteside, two crowd favourites the obvious examples), Moyes wasn't, and the worst thing was those who were pushing back hardest at Moyes were finished at the top level and on their way out of the club anyway, at least some of them have had the decency to put their hands up since and say they got it badly wrong.

In hindsight we can all suggest what the club maybe should have done post SAF, personally can't see the point.
I absolute agree that it was his dressing room where his authority was unchallenged. I think that was also what Mourinho was going for and expected, he must have been fuming about the behind the scenes shenanigans.

Moyes though, I don’t know, there are ways to put your stamp on a new club and I think he simply didn’t have the personality to make the players excited about his vision.

Eric7C

Bring back David, at least we will see endless crosses into the box.

PeteManic

Moyes just made one massive error and that was not just realising or wanting to realise that all he had to do was do nothing - come in, smile, shake hands, keep the same backroom team and the same players and treat them like Ferguson did and just let everything tick over until he got to understand how the club worked.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Pressing Masterclass with David Moyes. I wonder why didn't We implement this? instead We got the Depressing Masterclass. But He seems knowledgeable. A misunderstood genius? A genius that was understood by wrong assumptions? nobody knows.

Edit : Put the speed to 0,25x if you want to experience hell.

SirAF

Ageist
Pressing Masterclass with David Moyes. I wonder why didn't We implement this? instead We got the Depressing Masterclass. But He seems knowledgeable. A misunderstood genius? A genius that was understood by wrong assumptions? nobody knows.

Edit : Put the speed to 0,25x if you want to experience hell.
He was at Everton for ten years so he’s obviously going to know his football. He just wasn’t good enough for an elite club.

lsd

The Oracle
He was at Everton for ten years so he’s obviously going to know his football. He just wasn’t good enough for an elite club.

What was it Rio said about him ?

He certainly had a plan but just didn't quite know what the plan was

Fussball13251

Neil Lennon :lol:
Mate... Lampard, Rodgers, Neil Lennon, Dick Advocaat, etc, are all probably better managers than Moyes and Ole.

Moyes is nothing special. Had he been manager of Rangers Porto probably would have won 4:0 and had he been manager of Centic Lazio probably would have won 3:0 at Parkheaf.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole makes Moyes look like Napoleon bonaparte

redmanx

The David Moyes Appreciation Thread.....I cant get my head round this, whats to appreciate about this thread or David Moyes? Moyes is a part of our history Id prefer to forget but that's not possible because he is integral to our failures since he left. His terrible tenure lead to where we are now with the squad needing a massive overhaul just to be competitive after 6 years of incompetence both on the field and off. Moyes tried to create his own history by throwing out tried and trusted staff and methods but their replacements, like him, were sub standard. In a matter of days we lost the cohesion SAF had spent years building up and went into free fall despite the attempts of two of the best managers ever to pull us out of it. It wasn't helped that not only did we lose SAF but David Gill went at the same time and for a club of Manchester Uniteds achievements and status to replace SAF & Gill with Moyes and Ed Woodward was criminal. I appreciate that Moyes would probably have fared some what better if Gill had remained but in the end he was the architect of his own demise, as history will appreciate.

SirAF

Ageist
The David Moyes Appreciation Thread.....I cant get my head round this, whats to appreciate about this thread or David Moyes? Moyes is a part of our history Id prefer to forget but that's not possible because he is integral to our failures since he left. His terrible tenure lead to where we are now with the squad needing a massive overhaul just to be competitive after 6 years of incompetence both on the field and off. Moyes tried to create his own history by throwing out tried and trusted staff and methods but their replacements, like him, were sub standard. In a matter of days we lost the cohesion SAF had spent years building up and went into free fall despite the attempts of two of the best managers ever to pull us out of it. It wasn't helped that not only did we lose SAF but David Gill went at the same time and for a club of Manchester Uniteds achievements and status to replace SAF & Gill with Moyes and Ed Woodward was criminal. I appreciate that Moyes would probably have fared some what better if Gill had remained but in the end he was the architect of his own demise, as history will appreciate.
It’s a joke!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It’s a joke!
Nothing is a joke about him. When He first came to the Premier League, He was somebody's son. After He spent 10 years at Everton, He was somebody's son who had spent 10 years at Everton.

SirAF

Ageist
Nothing is a joke about him. When He first came to the Premier League, He was somebody's son. After He spent 10 years at Everton, He was somebody's son who had spent 10 years at Everton.
My bad :lol:

FujiVice

I thought the kit we had under Moyes was our best in years. Looked like a proper football shirt.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’d rather have Moyes in charge right now. That is how bad it is at the moment ffs!

I’d rather have Moyes in charge right now. That is how bad it is at the moment ffs!
No. This is just wrong. Look at the two teams Moyes and OGS took over. One was the PL winners (by 11 odd points!!), and one was a club in free fall under Jose after 5 years of poor performances.

Moyes destroyed so much of what was good under SAF. I’d rather have Big Ron (assuming he’s still alive) back than Moyes.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Paying above Fellaini's release clause to sign Fellaini 2 months late, spending a whole summer negotiating a deal to not sign a left back and coming back early from pre season to not sign Cesc Fabregas, and then fumbling an attempt to sign Herrera which clearly we did nothing with until at least a month AFTER he'd rushed back from our tour, are still up there as Woodward highlights as well.

My favourite Moyes moment was Carrick wasting our last chance to win the game at Arsenal by passing the ball back into his own half for absolutely no reason.

redmanx

Paying above Fellaini's release clause to sign Fellaini 2 months late, spending a whole summer negotiating a deal to not sign a left back and coming back early from pre season to not sign Cesc Fabregas, and then fumbling an attempt to sign Herrera which clearly we did nothing with until at least a month AFTER he'd rushed back from our tour, are still up there as Woodward highlights as well.

My favourite Moyes moment was Carrick wasting our last chance to win the game at Arsenal by passing the ball back into his own half for absolutely no reason.
My favourite Moyes moment was when the door of his former office hit him on the arse on his way out for the last time.

Bwuk

Mate... Lampard, Rodgers, Neil Lennon, Dick Advocaat, etc, are all probably better managers than Moyes and Ole.

Moyes is nothing special. Had he been manager of Rangers Porto probably would have won 4:0 and had he been manager of Centic Lazio probably would have won 3:0 at Parkheaf.
Lennon :lol:

Made an arse of things with Bolton, Hibs weren’t bothered about seeing the back of him. Celtic have got worse under him than under Rodgers.