The David Moyes appreciation thread

redshaw

The 5-0 demolition of Bayer Leverkusen.

Players probably decided to forget who their manager was and enjoy themselves. Moyes thought he was the messiah.

Morpheus 7

Steve Round and lads brought in, Mike Phelan and Rene Meulesteen let go. That's when the alarm bells were ringing for me. Smooth transition from the smooth operator Moyes, never has happy when he was fired. He was so out of his depth on every level it was frightening.

stevoc

Apparently Today is the last day of Moyes’s 6 year contract.
It reminded me of simpler days, when everything seemed just as simple of a fix as just sacking Dave Moyes.

Will never forget:

• That equalizing goal against Fulham at home in the 93’ minute.
  • Fellaini
  • The tres hombres pretending to be agents, negotiating the transfer of Ander Herrera to Manchester United, and failing.
  • Almost buying Toni Kroos
  • Mata’s helicopter and how everybody was euphoric over finally having a Spanish midfielder.
  • Januzaj emerging as a saviour against Sunderland, later on again vs Swansea at home and him starting as a false 9 against Chelsea a week after that, in some really bizarre formation.
  • Olympiacos away, by far the worst match I’ve ever seen us play.
  • How he replaced SAF’s staff with a bunch of weird people from Everton.
  • How everton finished above us in the very same season.
  • When he showed Rio Ferdinand and Vidic videos of Phil Jagielka.
  • Getting trounced by Pool and City at home, never felt so defeated watching football.
  • That Evra screamer vs Bayern
Yeah sign for Real Madrid the current European Champions and play with Ronaldo or join Moyes Manchester United who aren't even in Europe and play with Fellaini. Tough one that.

He was never signing Kroos.

stevoc

I really hope the curse is now lifted
Was thinking the same myself. And to be fair the club has probably deserved the ignominy of the last 6 years for not only hiring Moyes but also on a 6 year contract no less.

Hubris.

stevoc

I can understand if some supporters are disappointed with Moyes' attitude, the fact that he left the club before, or that he wants to be more like city, however, some people are taking this into extreme.

He’s been our best Scottish manager in the year he’s been here post Fergie I really don’t think you can argue against it, some were more consistent perhaps, but when he’s on, he’s on a different level to any other manager we have.

Now, thinking about Schweinsteiger’s time here, and the respect he got from the OT crowd and fans overall, is something I’m truly struggling with.
The guy was the bigget mercenary I’ve ever seen play for this club, he was absolutely shite and past it, pocketing crazy wage every week to either be in the physio’s room or back in Germany.

The guy couldn’t give less of a feck about this club, yet people respected him and no one called him a “scumbag”.
Moyes who got Everton above us in 2014, is despised by some fans.

Help me to understand this, because I’m really stuck.
Moyes is a thundercnut, you are welcome.

Was thinking the same myself. And to be fair the club has probably deserved the ignominy of the last 6 years for not only hiring Moyes but also on a 6 year contract no less.

Hubris.
Perhaps the cloud has lifted! No matter some of the poor decisions the club had made over the past few years, no matter the frustrations of having Jose and LVG in the dugout - Moyes’ appointment was the biggest mistake the club has ever made. He destroyed the club in the space of 8 months. Started when he decided he didn’t want to actually start the job, instead going on holiday.

He was so out of his depth, it was comical. We had 19 PL laughing at how bad he was. Much of this could be forgiven if he had some humility, but to this day he thinks he did a good job and would have sorted the club out if he had more time. Dillusional.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Remember the standing ovation he got during plane fiasco. Was disgusted.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Knew from day 1 it was a mistake. He just never seemed like a elite level manager.

Mental how he managed to get a side that had walked the league the previous season to finish 7th.
I don't think Moyes was in any way good enough for us, completely out of his depth but I always think the idea that he "took a title winning squad and somehow finished 7th" a bit harsh. Cause it probably wasn't a title winning squad, we just had a ridiculous manager at the helm and peak RvP. By the time Moyes took over half that team were completely spent and RvP was back to his injury-ridden self. Rooney was also declining rapidly, and a severe lack of investment in the last few seasons was showing, as well as the fact that we only signed Fellaini in the summer.

So yeah, not remotely good enough, a decent manager should've still gotten top four, but that squad wasn't really a 'title winning squad'. as weird as it sounds, seeing as they'd just won the title.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The task of moving on from being Fergie's United was never going to be easy. I must say I'm resigned to the fact that any manager would have found it difficult taking over what was essentially an analogue club, like some ancient stone tablet with glyphs only Fergie could read, in 2013 with City on the rise. However we probably couldn't have done a worse transition if we'd tried.

Robbie Boy

Was clear as day he was a dreadful appointment. I was gutted when we announced him.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Biggest ever mistake in the history of sports.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I've never been able to get over how "hi-tec" our manager's office is!

It reminded me of simpler days, when everything seemed just as simple of a fix as just sacking Dave Moyes.

Will never forget:

• Fellaini
  • The tres hombres pretending to be agents, negotiating the transfer of Ander Herrera to Manchester United, and failing.
  • Mata’s helicopter and how everybody was euphoric over finally having a Spanish midfielder.
  • Januzaj emerging as a saviour against Sunderland, later on again vs Swansea at home and him starting as a false 9 against Chelsea a week after that, in some really bizarre formation.
  • Getting trounced by Pool and City at home, never felt so defeated watching football.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
There's no concrete confirmation of the Jagielka video thing but regarding Moyes, jokes > fact
And boy, was Moyes a joke! The start of a long road we are still on: fix sights on one man for the job and don't bother giving real consideration to anyone else

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Breaking the prem record for the highest amount of crosses in one game - 81. Only 18 met one of our players......

Wasnt there the story of him not realising how popular man utd was, taking the players on a run along the beach during pre season which got abandoned pretty quick because they were swamped by fans?

For us on the outside it was obvious pretty quick he was out of he depth, you can only imagine what it must have like for the players.
I said he would be out of his depth when SAF stepped on to the pitch to say we should get behind the new manager...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I can understand if some supporters are disappointed with Moyes' attitude, the fact that he left the club before, or that he wants to be more like city, however, some people are taking this into extreme.

He’s been our best Scottish manager in the year he’s been here post Fergie I really don’t think you can argue against it, some were more consistent perhaps, but when he’s on, he’s on a different level to any other manager we have.

Now, thinking about Schweinsteiger’s time here, and the respect he got from the OT crowd and fans overall, is something I’m truly struggling with.
The guy was the bigget mercenary I’ve ever seen play for this club, he was absolutely shite and past it, pocketing crazy wage every week to either be in the physio’s room or back in Germany.

The guy couldn’t give less of a feck about this club, yet people respected him and no one called him a “scumbag”.
Moyes who got Everton above us in 2014, is despised by some fans.

Help me to understand this, because I’m really stuck.
help you understand Schweiny? I suggest you get some videos (not just clips) to see the passion with which he played. If you really think he's the biggest mercenary we've had, I think you stopped watching us long ago

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
do you remember him whining about "we are trying very hard... blah blah..."

Andersonson

Uno, dos, tres times.

I do hope he gets a new job though. He was a very good manager for Everton.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There's no concrete confirmation of the Jagielka video thing but regarding Moyes, jokes > fact
How did you feel when David Moyes made you and Rio Ferdinand watch videos of Phil Jagielka defending? Was it as big a deal to the pair of you as has since been made out?
Christopher Barnard, via Twitter

(Pauses) Players don’t always like what managers say to them. That’s normal – it even happened with Fergie. The sad thing for me wasn’t any specific incident; it was that with David as manager and me as captain, we didn’t do well. As a team we wanted to prove people wrong after Fergie went. We hoped to be better. We were not. We all lost and must share the responsibility and guilt, David as manager and me as captain.
I mean this is as close to a confirmation as a professional footballer will ever give. I mean if he didn't made you do it, you just say — he didn't, you don't start elaborate and careful explanations abound the manager's faults in general.

harms

Staff
"I think if I'd brought him off (against Newcastle) some people would say 'What are you doing? You are 1-0 down and you're taking off your top goalscorer." - Moyes on playing a half-fit Robin van Persie for 90 minutes in the 1-0 defeat to Newcastle.
Quite possibly the worst quote I've heard from a professional manager. It's so surreal that it's even funny in a way.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I can remember a couple of years before SAF stepped down, there was a debate (perhaps on MOTD) and some stooge mentioned that David Moyes could take over at United one day.
I laughed it off as being ridiculous....:houllier:

harms

Staff
Biggest cock up any multibillion pound organisation has ever made?
There are still cases like Samsung stealing some tech from Apple, which led to them paying a 1 billion dollars in court fees... and losing 12 billions more in company's valuation due to the market reaction on the news.

harms

Staff
help you understand Schweiny? I suggest you get some videos (not just clips) to see the passion with which he played. If you really think he's the biggest mercenary we've had, I think you stopped watching us long ago
r/woooosh

It's an edited post from another thread.

man united 4eva

TRUERED89

Will never forget:

• Fellaini
I guess you've forgotten Sevilla at home or Valencia away under Jose, or Cardiff at home under Ole. Or Wolvsburg away under LVG? That certainly isn't the worst game post SAF. Also we've gotten slapped twice under Jose by City at OT, although Moyes had the biggest defeatist attitude there has been worse games since his sacking.

Ekeke

5.5 years later we still look set to use a right winger playing centrally after extending Mata

Sir Scott McToMinay

I guess you've forgotten Sevilla at home or Valencia away under Jose, or Cardiff at home under Ole. Or Wolvsburg away under LVG? That certainly isn't the worst game post SAF. Also we've gotten slapped twice under Jose by City at OT, although Moyes had the biggest defeatist attitude there has been worse games since his sacking.
None of these were as bad as Olympiacos away, it wasn’t some fluke win for them, we were thoroughly outplayed in a CL KO match against feckin Olympiacos, it was absolutely embarrassing.

TRUERED89

None of these were as bad as Olympiacos away, it wasn’t some fluke win for them, we were thoroughly outplayed in a CL KO match against feckin Olympiacos, it was absolutely embarrassing.
Sevilla at home was in no way a fluke win for them, they dominated and deservedly won the game, felt way more dejected after that game. Atleast with Olypiakos we still went though and won the seond leg (RVP hattrick). Sevilla knocked us out at Old Trafford in the last 16 stage, much worse.. (with Jose saying, why are you upset? United always go out! I myself have knocked united out twice!)

Sir Scott McToMinay

Sevilla at home was in no way a fluke win for them, they dominated and deservedly won the game, felt way more dejected after that game. Atleast with Olypiakos we still went though and won the seond leg (RVP hattrick). Sevilla knocked us out at last 16 stage, much worse.. (with Jose saying, why are you upswt? united always go out! I myself have knocked united out twice!)
Not saying losing to Sevilla is acceptable but there’s a world of difference between losing to Sevilla who were a regular top 4 team in La Liga and serial EL winners, and losing to Olympiacos.
We were truly horrendous that night in Greece.

TRUERED89

Not saying losing to Sevilla is acceptable but there’s a world of difference between losing to Sevilla who were a regular top 4 team in La Liga and serial EL winners, and losing to Olympiacos.
We were truly horrendous that night in Greece.
I personally felt way worse after Sevilla, especially with the team we had out and Jose's comments after the game. But each to their own..