The David Moyes appreciation thread

UnitedObsession99

Breaking the prem record for the highest amount of crosses in one game - 81. Only 18 met one of our players......

Wasnt there the story of him not realising how popular man utd was, taking the players on a run along the beach during pre season which got abandoned pretty quick because they were swamped by fans?

For us on the outside it was obvious pretty quick he was out of he depth, you can only imagine what it must have like for the players.
Blame the person getting on the end of the cross. Converting half those chances would be a meaty result!

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Still remember that first game at Swansea, thinking it's going to be same old stuff. :lol:

Kelly15

"I actually think if Sir Alex was here this year it would be difficult for Sir Alex as well, and I'm sure he'd be aware of it. I think people are aware there's a squad that is a bit more aging, so I think it would have been a tough season for probably whoever was in charge of Manchester United this year."

"Questioning his godlike predecessor? Check. Questioning his players? Check again. Using them both to make excuses for himself?"

When he said this I stopped supporting the manager. Sir Alex told us to support the manager and I did. Until he said that.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
In almost every post I make these days, I mention that Woodward is the root cause of our problems.
While he is our DoF, we are going nowhere.
It is clear I rate Woodward incredibly low.

David Moyes is the one guy who I rate even lower than Woodward!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
"I actually think if Sir Alex was here this year it would be difficult for Sir Alex as well, and I'm sure he'd be aware of it. I think people are aware there's a squad that is a bit more aging, so I think it would have been a tough season for probably whoever was in charge of Manchester United this year."
This is exactly the reason why I rate Moyes so poorly.
SAF consistently through the years had us finishing in the top 3 and most of the time winning the league. Then this chump comes and says that this year would've been different?

Had we hired Jose in place of Moyes and Jose was managing a team of champions, I think we'd have finished top 2. The mentality of that set of players was that of winners, so they'd have understood what he demanded, having been under SAF, who also had high demands.

We'll See Out There!

OMG. I still struggle to be leave he was given the biggest job in world football, how? Terrible decision. Take a look at his picture as a young trainee at Dunfermline (I can't add pics perhaps someone on here can help enlighten the masses) total mutant!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The dissapointmens of LVG and Mourinho has a bit softened me up to Moyes. We spent a lot of money since then and hired succesfull managers and we're probably worse off than where Moyes left us.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I know he's probably disappointed he lost the job, but I also think it was for the best. Not just for the team, but his health. He looked like a zombie ghost towards the end. Moreso than usual. Aged 20 years in 20 weeks.

Big Andy

Bloke
OMG. I still struggle to be leave he was given the biggest job in world football, how? Terrible decision. Take a look at his picture as a young trainee at Dunfermline (I can't add pics perhaps someone on here can help enlighten the masses) total mutant!

clarkydaz

So many memories,

It was gently pointed out that his team were 21 points worse off than at this stage last season. “Well, I was at Everton so I wasn’t 21 points worse off,” he replied. “I was at Everton.” Okay, but United, how has it gone that way? “The improvement in the teams in the Premier League has been big,” he said
I look forward to going up against pep Guardiola for the first time, but ive no doubt i'll be doing it plenty of times in the future
we'll try and make it difficult for Newcastle

SirMattlives

Ah, the Moyes episode. It's still hard to fathom it all and am sure business schools will be using it as a case study for years in how transitions can be messed up even with the best of intentions. Hard to really go back in time but I remember thinking it was both an odd decision but maybe not the worst. There had been talk of Pep coming in or even Jose then, and my feelings at the time were that I did not want United to be the club that had a new manager every three years from the euro roundabout.

Moyes seemed to be a semi-valid option and with the endorsement of SAF it was not too outlandish to imagine he'd rise to the challenge. He was, at the time let us not forget, well-regarded in the game, liked by most people, and his teams always gave us a game. That said, he'd never won anything of note, Everton seemed to sleepwalk into new seasons and take an age to get going, and more ominously, his Everton sides never really seemed to get the better of Liverpool. I also hated that his idea of buying new players immediately seemed to include Baines and Fellaini, neither of whom I felt were good enough. Still....I was prepared to give him another year if only to see how he might shape up given he was expecting enough time to build a new team.

Yep, when the axe fell we were playing crap, the sense was the players had no faith in him (how sinister that this seemed so easy to see) and he himself looked a shadow of his former self. I don't understand some of the vitriol, I hated the fly-past protest and the appearance of the publicity seeking 'grim reaper' behind him in the stands, as it just made headlines for all the wrong reasons and became a personal attack on a man in public who was just trying to do his job. So all told, it was a sad and bad season.

For sure, the subsequent events in his career suggest he was never really qualified for the United job (he's diminished his own reputation with some of those roles) but one has to wonder if it might have been different had he kept the coaching staff in place, tweaked the side slowly and grown into it. Anyway, I have no hard feelings towards the man and hope he finds some success elsewhere.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Some people say Moyes gets too much abuse.
I say, he gets too little.

Web of Bissaka

Sorry, but what's the point of this thread?
Looks like a 'Let's bash/humiliate Moyes' party. Fun abusing/hating someone eh like bullies.

It was a dark depressing season. Past, just move on already.

Anyway, tbh the only positive I get from that sad season is my faith in our youth restored because of Januzaj.
The other youths before him that were supposedly making it into the first team are just disappointing -- Welbeck, Cleverley, Macheda, who else? and they weren't that exciting enough as in giving the impression they can be a core starter. Before them, just Rafael and Fabio and Evans are the only ones that gave that impression, and that felt ages ago. Honestly I'm losing faith there will be the next big youth coming through at that time, started early actually during SAF's last 2-3 seasons. Januzaj appear and damn impressive, so our youth can still produce exciting talent. So just one credit to Moyes among the other huge mountain pile of miseries.

More exciting youths also appear during the next managers reigns, and still now, so in a way, not really a totally bad post-saf era if we only consider the youthful aspect.

Some people say Moyes gets too much abuse.
I say, he gets too little.
Completly agree. I really don’t want to be the sort of person that hates someone I don’t know. But I hate him!

I was at Carrington to meet the players when Giggs took his first training session, 2 or 3 days after he was sacked. We had a Q&A with Albert Morgan and I asked him whether everyone was happy about the recent ‘change’? He said it was like a cloud had been lifted, and that everyone was absoubtly delighted that he’d finally gone. Says it all.

VanTheMan10

Don’t forget the banning of chips on Friday!

Apparently Today is the last day of Moyes’s 6 year contract.
It reminded me of simpler days, when everything seemed just as simple of a fix as just sacking Dave Moyes.

Will never forget:

• That equalizing goal against Fulham at home in the 93’ minute.
  • Fellaini
  • The tres hombres pretending to be agents, negotiating the transfer of Ander Herrera to Manchester United, and failing.
  • Almost buying Toni Kroos
  • Mata’s helicopter and how everybody was euphoric over finally having a Spanish midfielder.
  • Januzaj emerging as a saviour against Sunderland, later on again vs Swansea at home and him starting as a false 9 against Chelsea a week after that, in some really bizarre formation.
  • Olympiacos away, by far the worst match I’ve ever seen us play.
  • How he replaced SAF’s staff with a bunch of weird people from Everton.
  • How everton finished above us in the very same season.
  • When he showed Rio Ferdinand and Vidic videos of Phil Jagielka.
  • Getting trounced by Pool and City at home, never felt so defeated watching football.
  • That Evra screamer vs Bayern

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
appreciation
/əpriːʃɪˈeɪʃ(ə)n,əpriːsɪˈeɪʃ(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1.
    recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something.
    "I smiled in appreciation"
    synonyms: valuing, respect, prizing, cherishing, treasuring, admiration, regard, esteem, high opinion
    "appreciation of literature comes only from first-hand study of the works of great writers"
:confused:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Think his interviews have been even worse then football we produced on the pitch. That was some achievement.

klsv

Had he stayed and extended even, we would have finally gotten Sneijder at some point. Would probably be preparing a bid as we speak.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Moyes seemed to be a semi-valid option and with the endorsement of SAF it was not too outlandish to imagine he'd rise to the challenge. He was, at the time let us not forget, well-regarded in the game, liked by most people

...I was prepared to give him another year if only to see how he might shape up given he was expecting enough time to build a new team.

I don't understand some of the vitriol, I hated the fly-past protest and the appearance of the publicity seeking 'grim reaper' behind him in the stands, as it just made headlines for all the wrong reasons and became a personal attack on a man in public who was just trying to do his job.

Anyway, I have no hard feelings towards the man and hope he finds some success elsewhere.
FINALLY.

stevoc

"Questioning his godlike predecessor? Check. Questioning his players? Check again. Using them both to make excuses for himself?"

When he said this I stopped supporting the manager. Sir Alex told us to support the manager and I did. Until he said that.
Spineless Twat should have been sacked the same day he came out with that shit.

stevoc

Ah, the Moyes episode. It's still hard to fathom it all and am sure business schools will be using it as a case study for years in how transitions can be messed up even with the best of intentions. Hard to really go back in time but I remember thinking it was both an odd decision but maybe not the worst. There had been talk of Pep coming in or even Jose then, and my feelings at the time were that I did not want United to be the club that had a new manager every three years from the euro roundabout.

Moyes seemed to be a semi-valid option and with the endorsement of SAF it was not too outlandish to imagine he'd rise to the challenge. He was, at the time let us not forget, well-regarded in the game, liked by most people, and his teams always gave us a game. That said, he'd never won anything of note, Everton seemed to sleepwalk into new seasons and take an age to get going, and more ominously, his Everton sides never really seemed to get the better of Liverpool. I also hated that his idea of buying new players immediately seemed to include Baines and Fellaini, neither of whom I felt were good enough. Still....I was prepared to give him another year if only to see how he might shape up given he was expecting enough time to build a new team.

Yep, when the axe fell we were playing crap, the sense was the players had no faith in him (how sinister that this seemed so easy to see) and he himself looked a shadow of his former self. I don't understand some of the vitriol, I hated the fly-past protest and the appearance of the publicity seeking 'grim reaper' behind him in the stands, as it just made headlines for all the wrong reasons and became a personal attack on a man in public who was just trying to do his job. So all told, it was a sad and bad season.

For sure, the subsequent events in his career suggest he was never really qualified for the United job (he's diminished his own reputation with some of those roles) but one has to wonder if it might have been different had he kept the coaching staff in place, tweaked the side slowly and grown into it. Anyway, I have no hard feelings towards the man and hope he finds some success elsewhere.
I do and he won't.

Foxbatt

SAF never thought Moyes was stupid enough to sack the entire back room staff and bring in people who have never won anything. I have seen SAF say somewhere that he told Moyes it was a well run ship and he should just let it run on its own without too much tinkering.
The first thing Moyes did was sack the First Officer and the Chief Engineer and bought in a Chef to navigate the ship. It is bleedin obvious that it will run aground. I remember and I think it was in Thailand that RVP had an injury in the pre season. Moyes said that we may have over trained him. He did not know that RVP was on a a special training due to his recurring injuries.
The man said he will try to make it difficult for Newcastle. FFS this is Newcastle that we are talking about. When did Manchester United try to make it difficult for Newcastle? Certainly not in this century. We go to beat them not try and make it difficult for them.
That man destroyed Manchester United. I have a feeling that he is a closet Liverpool fan.

norm87cro

We will try to make it difficult for Newcastle. Enough said. Fecked up our great back 4 (something Jose would never do), uninspiring, dull, tactically inept and there's the Fulham game offcourse. Comparing this twat to two successful europiean managers who were here is an insult whatever the CAFs opinion is about LVG and Mourhino.