The Deadwoods Assassinated by Babyface

VanGaalEra

With the news of Smalling going on loan to Roma, it seems as though Ole is the one who finally clears out our deadwood. The following have been sold/loaned out since Ole arrived:

Fellaini
Herrera
Valencia
Lukaku
Sanchez
Smalling

To follow:
Jones
Rojo
Darmian

Are you happy with the clear out? Are you happy the players are leaving but annoyed with the lack of incoming players?

romufc

This is a good start, there are others that need to leave but we all know they will be gone by next year.

Matic, Young, Rojo, Darmian will be gone by next summer.

Then the team will have a new look to it.

Matt007a

Smalling and Sanchez are still our deadwood once their loans end. He's done well getting rid of players we don't need so far but there is plenty more work to do yet.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Going to be a few tears about Herreras name in there with that title

ArjenIsM3

With the news of Smalling going on loan to Roma, it seems as though Ole is the one who finally clears out our deadwood. The following have been sold/loaned out since Ole arrived:

Fellaini
Herrera
Valencia
Lukaku
Sanchez
Smalling

To follow:
Jones
Rojo
Darmian

Are you happy with the clear out? Are you happy the players are leaving but annoyed with the lack of incoming players?

This. It's clear Ole can be ruthless. I just wish Ed could keep up. Ole said he wanted replacement for anyone that left and he wanted business to be done before pre-season started. Ed's not managed either of those things. He's let Ole down by not replacing Lukaku and not signing a CM and it took him ages to get the AWB and Maguire deals done.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The players will need replacing eventually but am I annoyed they're not being replaced right now? Nope couldn't give a toss. More than happy to endure the possible short term pain

VanGaalEra

The players will need replacing eventually but am I annoyed they're not being replaced right now? Nope couldn't give a toss. More than happy to endure the possible short term pain
Buckle in and join me in the same boat, ride through the next couple of seasons whilst we rebuild.

MS4

Its a shame we did not get at least 2 more players.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Plenty of work still to be done but it's clear what he wants out.

Very positive start.

Dr. StrangeHate

Fellaini
Herrera
Valencia
Lukaku
Sanchez
Smalling

To follow:
Jones
Rojo
Darmian

In addition to this if he can get rid of Jlingz and Mata that would be grand. I might even be happy with 6th this season if he does that.

Zlatattack

Happy - no/yes. It's great for a start but it must continue.

I want to see Matic, Young, Rojo, Jones, Darmian go too.
I also want to see Lingard, Fred, Bailly replaced.

Clearly this won't all happen in 1 window, but I want to see a mix of youth being promoted (into squad roles) and top quality players coming in for the first team role.

We got rid of Herrera, he was a first choice midfielder. We've not replaced him. We got rid of Lukaku who was our first choice striker, we've not replaced him. That's not good enough.

Mugiwarared71

Fellaini
Herrera
Valencia
Lukaku
Sanchez
Smalling

To follow:
Jones
Rojo
Darmian

Not really i would get rid of Jones over Smalling any day and players like young and Matic Darmian Jones should of been first to bite the dust . It is a start however but going about it in the wrong order i would of taken sanchez over playing lingard personally and the fact Jesse is english is the only thing he has in his locker .

Skills

Snitch
Happy - no/yes. It's great for a start but it must continue.

I want to see Matic, Young, Rojo, Jones, Darmian go too.
I also want to see Lingard, Fred, Bailly replaced.

Clearly this won't all happen in 1 window, but I want to see a mix of youth being promoted (into squad roles) and top quality players coming in for the first team role.

We got rid of Herrera, he was a first choice midfielder. We've not replaced him. We got rid of Lukaku who was our first choice striker, we've not replaced him. That's not good enough.
No he wasn't.

Zlatattack

Also Herrera was anything but deadwood. He would have made an excellent CDM had we used him consistently in that role.

Yes it's a good start, I get the feeling that we need to get our wage bill down before we can buy anymore players.

Johnbouche

I think what he is doing is right by the club, that is a lot of wages of our books for players who either aren't good enough for Utd or don't have the correct attitude to play for our club. Some of these departures may also result in transfer fees in the end, so I'm all for it. He is doing what he said he would and for me that earns my respect.

We will be leaving ourselves light in some areas but as long as the plans is in place now for who the want to bring in to replace these guys, then i'll be patient. Its down to club now to really back him in the transfer market. Ideally would like to see Maddison, Sancho, a LB and another top quality CM bought in the next two windows.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Summed up perfectly. That's what it's all about now. I won't cry over where we end up over the next couple of seasons. I'm more excited about the direction we are going in. We'll be ok.

STYLOISRED

I also feel like there is a long term coaching/ambassadorial role for Mata in the Club's plans which is why he is on not to n that list. And i think it is a good idea to have him around the team with even though many might disagree.

spaceboyRSA

The problem with the clearout is there hasnt been any replacements, leaving us rather thin across most of the pitch.

Varun1

Herrera left the club, he wasn't pushed out by Ole.

It's telling that Bailly isn't even mentioned, like a forgotten man.

Skills

Snitch
If those players are really deadwood, you shouldn't need to replace them.

Maguire has replaced Smalling as one of the first choice CBs and Axel's come in to provide additional depth. Greenwood and James will get the minutes that Lukaku and Sanchez got last season under Ole.

Herrera is the only one we haven't replaced/promoted anyone to take his minutes.

romufc

Also Herrera was anything but deadwood. He would have made an excellent CDM had we used him consistently in that role.
Why is everyone reacting as if Herrera was an amazing player. for sake he wanted £250k a week.

I am not crying my eyes about losing him, he got 30 appearances once in his time here.

Enigma_87

You know who
I wouldn't call players like Lukaku and Herrera deadwood, especially since neither is replaced.

Happy about Smalling being finally on the edge of being off. Valencia was at the end of his contract so naturally it wouldn't be extended.

Would have been happy if we replaced Fellaini and Sanchez. As it is we have a worse squad than before the clear out.

We have to replace those players not simply hand them off.

Zlatattack

No he wasn't.
Yes he was. Apart from his time under Ole, he spent 18 months as first choice striker at our club. It could be argued that we replaced him with Rashford and now Martial is the competition for Rashford, but then it's our left wing that only has James as cover. Either way across our main 3 attacking positions we've gone from having;

Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mata, Sanchez, Periera

To having;

Rashford, Martial, James, Lingard, Greenwood, Mata, Periera

We've replaced a premier league proven striker with an academy graduate and a senior attacker (albeit a dud) with a championship recruit.

It might work out for us, but it's a risky approach and it hasn't addressed the depth across the attack. We had 3 players we could rely on for goals, and we now have 2 players we can rely on for goals. If James and Greenwood tear it up this season, i'll be wrong and the risk will have been rewarded. If they don't - we're stuffed. Lukaku was our second top scorer last season.

Santos J

It's great to see. Not even including players shifted down the pecking order like Young, Matic etc. & the CB's for Tuanzebe.

Adamsk7

The thing that heartens me the most about this is it’s very clear that Ole knows what we all know - who’s good enough and who’s not. He’s targeted exactly the players we have been screaming at to leave for the last few years and he’s trying to bring in a brand of football where only really top players will survive.

this is going to be slow, we are going to have more lows than highs in the next couple of years but I am convinced it’ll be worth it and more convinced than ever that we have the right man for the job. He still needs to grow in his role and develop too but of all the managers we have had post Fergie, I can at least see that he gets it.

Allas8

The problem with the clearout is there hasnt been any replacements, leaving us rather thin across most of the pitch.
I count 28 players in our first team squad, including 3 goalkeepers, so 25 outfield players.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
In fairness, Under Jose we got rid of Depay, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Valdes, Rooney, Januzaj, McNair, Varela and Mkhi over 2 summer windows.

Under LVG we got rid of Welbeck, Nani, Cleverley, Buttner, Hernandez, Fletcher, Bebe, Kagawa, Zaha, Evans and Rafael.

Now, in hindsight not all of these would necessarily be thought of as "deadwood", but at the time no-one was overly upset to see them go.

My point is, we've seen huge shifts in personnel under all our managers after Moyes, and each time we've lauded them for clearing out the clutter. I'm not saying Ole isn't doing this, but our recent record would suggest that we show caution before assuming this is definitely happening.

Zlatattack

Why is everyone reacting as if Herrera was an amazing player. for sake he wanted £250k a week.

I am not crying my eyes about losing him, he got 30 appearances once in his time here.
He wasn't an amazing player, he was a competent and consistent player. The quality of our midfield is so poor, that's all it takes to be a first team starter, competent and consistent. We failed to replace him. We now have Pogba who can be described as mercurial and then other players who are just incompetent or inconsistent (not judging McTomminay yet, he's a young player). Teams need senior players, established professionals - he was one of those.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Already this is comfortably the most important period in United's post SAF history.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
In fairness, Under Jose we got rid of Depay, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Valdes, Rooney, Januzaj, McNair, Varela and Mkhi over 2 summer windows.

Under LVG we got rid of Welbeck, Nani, Cleverley, Buttner, Hernandez, Fletcher, Bebe, Kagawa, Zaha, Evans and Rafael.

Now, in hindsight not all of these would necessarily be thought of as "deadwood", but at the time no-one was overly upset to see them go.

My point is, we've seen huge shifts in personnel under all our managers after Moyes, and each time we've lauded them for clearing out the clutter. I'm not saying Ole isn't doing this, but our recent record would suggest that we show caution before assuming this is definitely happening.
All these managers clearing out the deadwood :drool:

Skills

Snitch
Yes he was. Apart from his time under Ole, he spent 18 months as first choice striker at our club. It could be argued that we replaced him with Rashford and now Martial is the competition for Rashford, but then it's our left wing that only has James as cover. Either way across our main 3 attacking positions we've gone from having;

Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mata, Sanchez, Periera

To having;

Rashford, Martial, James, Lingard, Greenwood, Mata, Periera

We've replaced a premier league proven striker with an academy graduate and a senior attacker (albeit a dud) with a championship recruit.

It might work out for us, but it's a risky approach and it hasn't addressed the depth across the attack. We had 3 players we could rely on for goals, and we now have 2 players we can rely on for goals. If James and Greenwood tear it up this season, i'll be wrong and the risk will have been rewarded. If they don't - we're stuffed. Lukaku was our second top scorer last season.
Exactly. Since Oles been the manager he's been anything but first choice and Ole is going to be the manager for the foreseeable future. Like you said Rashford and now Martial have replaced him as first choice strikers.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

No he didn't. People will beleive anything if it's what they want to hear. Herrera's absence is noticable, which is why we tried to keep him, and it's why PSG signed him.

TRUERED89

If those players are really deadwood, you shouldn't need to replace them.

Maguire has replaced Smalling as one of the first choice CBs and Axel's come in to provide additional depth. Greenwood and James will get the minutes that Lukaku and Sanchez got last season under Ole.

Herrera is the only one we haven't replaced/promoted anyone to take his minutes.
Very true! We just need to cut out the silly individual mistakes during games and we'll be alright imo. Like not missing penalties, not letting midgets win headers and not letting pea rollers go into the back of the net.

Alemar

Not happy - I think more players should have been axed, including Matic, Mata, Joel Pereira and Grant. Also, I wouldn’t treat Herrera as deadwood - he would definitely be a starter in our current team.

Born2Lose

I think the OP is wrong about Herrera. I think it makes sense that it was under Mourinho's watch that the contract wasn't sorted and so Ander looked at other options.

Around the same time as the dispute started making news, Smalling and Jones signed new contracts, and now one of them is out the door. I find it hard to believe Ole wanted to sign Smalling to a long term deal with the intention of getting rid of him in the summer.