The Deadwoods Assassinated by Babyface

Stepney73

Agreed, this is where we should be shrewd and get rid of average players but on big wages. That should be the first step of the build process.

Pogba(as he wants to leave) /Jones/Rojo/Perrera/Matic/Alexis, total 6 players as a start in this summer window
Lingard/Smalling if possible then Mata ( I think UTD likes to keep him at club in some capacity even after his playing career hence they renewed last time which I think not necessary, I have a feeling he will represent UTD in Spain and act as an ambassador for us. Anyway he got just one more year so I think board seeing him as an experienced player can guide young players).

Once we start the above process and add 4/5 quality players I think we can go back to where we belong.
This way of thinking has got to stop with Utd fans and has got us where we are with all this"one of our own staying on in some way or another"

Stepney73

If Jones is actually healthy during the summer we ought to send him packing asap.
Get rid: Jones, Lingard, Matic, Sanchez, Rojo.

Keep Smalling if possible. Pereira and Mata are decent squad players. I'm still Pogba in.

The first part of your post I couldn't agree more

The second part of you post I couldn't disagree more

arthurka

If Lingard is booted out I cannot really complain.. That in it self is enough but if he takes Pogba with him I will smile for months.

Stadjer

As long as Jones and Lingard are still part of the Manchester United first team i wont consider the clearing out of deadwood to be completed.

Onerealunited

Our problems won’t be sold by sending out players. We should solely focus on bringing in players to strengthen the first team and then automatically 2nd or 3rd choice players would leave

Schmeichel=God

He's started well in my opinion at clearing out players whose time at the club had surely come to an end. There's definitely more to come and I feel like he does hold an axe and will drop it!

Below is my opinion on any summer shakeup.

Tier 1 must goes:
Pogba
Lingard

Tier 2 dependent on acquisitions/replacements: (Could retain for squad use & to keep longer serving experienced members of the squad.)
Mata
Jones - (If Smalling goes he should probably stay)
Pereira
Matic

'Deadwood' to keep in my opinion:
Smalling - I continue to be completely camp Smalling in and have been for years.
Shaw - I don't know how many chances he's got left in my book. But I'm back in the keep him for another season camp.

Tempted to jettison if adequate replacements could be acquired:
Martial

mad1max954

He's started well in my opinion at clearing out players whose time at the club had surely come to an end. There's definitely more to come and I feel like he does hold an axe and will drop it!

Below is my opinion on any summer shakeup.

Tier 1 must goes:
Pogba
Lingard

Tier 2 dependent on acquisitions/replacements: (Could retain for squad use & to keep longer serving experienced members of the squad.)
Mata
Jones - (If Smalling goes he should probably stay)
Pereira
Matic

'Deadwood' to keep in my opinion:
Smalling - I continue to be completely camp Smalling in and have been for years.
Shaw - I don't know how many chances he's got left in my book. But I'm back in the keep him for another season camp.

Tempted to jettison if adequate replacements could be acquired:
Martial
pretty much entirely agree with this list, but I’d probably keep perrera st least one more season, he is a good enough squad player imo and is reasonably versatile

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is such a weird player to me. I do this to myself too. He has proved himself useful as a CB, option in a three imo. That might be enough to keep him around as cover for a while now that Williams looks to be steadily improving and a better option than him.

Steerpike

He is such a weird player to me. I do this to myself too. He has proved himself useful as a CB, option in a three imo. That might be enough to keep him around as cover for a while now that Williams looks to be steadily improving and a better option than him.
Luke Shaw is just about the only left footed defender we have. He has looked strong and sharp the last couple of times he's played (I actually had him as MoM against Chelsea), and his ability to play as the left of a back three gives us tactical options. There is also evidence that he and Brandon Williams play well together, and the latter would certainly benefit from having a more experienced left back to guide him.

SpyLuke10

Rojo and Alexis Sanchez need to be gone permanently.

Lingard needs to leave as well.

I would sell Jones as well but that depends on whether or not Smalling stays or goes. I'd like for us to keep Smalling and sell Jones but I reckon Smalling will want to go to Roma permanently.

He is definitely not deadwood but it seems that Pogba will also leave after the Euros. We seem to be targeting Grealish as his replacement.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Sanchez and Rojo are not coming back. Raiola will take his garbage out with him as he leaves so that will rid us of Pogba and Lingard thankfully. Perreira might, unfortunately, stay because if Pogba and Lingard leave we are left with only Mata as a backup #10 and he's surely going to slow down significantly come next year. Matic looks like he's shackled off whatever long term injury that was holding him back last season and looks a solid player again. Looks to have another year of utility in him left. Good back up for our midfield three of Scott, Fred and Bruno.

We will need to sign a proper right-winger (Jadon) to relegate James to his rightful position of 'backup'. Rashford/Martial/Greenwood can alternate the LW/ST role as needed. But we will need a proper striker to have a fourth man supplying the goal-scoring roles.

3 signings. That's all that is left needed. The defense is sorted.

The lovely thing about United is the wildcard of the academy. If we can sign top quality players to nail our starting 11 we can rely on our academy to excite us with the backups.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Players that need to leave still:

Sanchez
Smalling
Rojo
Jones
Lingard
Mata
Matic
Periera
Pogba
Fosu-Mensah

Thats still 10 who have little to no value in the squad.

We obviously arent shifting that many in the summer.

I'd focus this summer on the following:
Smalling
Sanchez
Pogba
Lingard
Rojo

3 on loans currently anyway so no difference to the squad now

Mata/Matic can be squad options and bring experience.
TFM maybe on a loan or to stay as back up
Periera/Jones to be back up only but depending who comes in Periera may well get a fair amount of game time
Agreed, the problem is that all of those, Pogba aside has no value in the market either. Maybe some Championship club would be willing to pay a couple of million for Jones and Lindgard

SpyLuke10

Sanchez and Rojo are not coming back. Raiola will take his garbage out with him as he leaves so that will rid us of Pogba and Lingard thankfully. Perreira might, unfortunately, stay because if Pogba and Lingard leave we are left with only Mata as a backup #10 and he's surely going to slow down significantly come next year. Matic looks like he's shackled off whatever long term injury that was holding him back last season and looks a solid player again. Looks to have another year of utility in him left. Good back up for our midfield three of Scott, Fred and Bruno.

We will need to sign a proper right-winger (Jadon) to relegate James to his rightful position of 'backup'. Rashford/Martial/Greenwood can alternate the LW/ST role as needed. But we will need a proper striker to have a fourth man supplying the goal-scoring roles.

3 signings. That's all that is left needed. The defense is sorted.

The lovely thing about United is the wildcard of the academy. If we can sign top quality players to nail our starting 11 we can rely on our academy to excite us with the backups.
I agree that we need a right winger. We also need a DM though. Scott, Fred, Bruno and Matic is not enough. Also, we need a replacement for Pogba if he leaves. A creative midfielder like Grealish for example. You need 6 good players for those 3 midfield positions. Currently, with Pogba, we have 5. Matic is the only DM of those 5, the rest are all #8s, either creative #8s like Pogba or Bruno, or ball winning #8s like Fred or McTominay.

As you can see, we need a DM, and if Pogba goes we'll definitely sign another creative #8/#10.

I've geared this comment towards us playing 4-3-3 but the point still stands even if we are to play the 4-2-3-1, except the creative #8 will play as the #10, with the other #8 deeper with the DM.

SpyLuke10

Agreed, the problem is that all of those, Pogba aside has no value in the market either. Maybe some Championship club would be willing to pay a couple of million for Jones and Lindgard
Ummmm..... Smalling definitely has value. Matic and Pereira I reckon as well. Like you said Pogba is very valuable. In fact, pretty much all of them would have clubs who'd like to sign them, wages would be the problem though. Isn't Jones on 100k a week?!

UDontMessWith24

Some day we're going to look on this thread and proudly saw Solskjaer was the first to get rid of bad players. An innovator for sure

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Go
Lingard
Jones
Rojo
Sanchez

Stay
Smalling
Pereira
Bailly
Matic
Mata

Although I think Pogba should go, he is not qualified as deadwood here.

BaneIsPain

I don’t mind all the outgoing players but I’m concerned the replacement that we ought to bring in. We seem hesitant to bring in new players.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
There will be not shortage of Premier Leagues clubs after them if they are made available, and for decent money too.
Ummmm..... Smalling definitely has value. Matic and Pereira I reckon as well. Like you said Pogba is very valuable. In fact, pretty much all of them would have clubs who'd like to sign them, wages would be the problem though. Isn't Jones on 100k a week?!
Well "no value" was a bit poorly phrased, but i think most of them will net about 10-20 million at best, of course if you add it all together it becomes a decent sum which can be reinvested.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
Looking at your midfielders and attackers, the only ones that seem to be starter quality are Pogba, Fernandes and Rashford.
Fred, Matic, McTominay, James & Martial are good for rotation. Maybe Perreira as well.
But that's too many rotation players and not enough starting quality.

The defenders are fine. De Gea too, if he rediscovers his form.

Relfy

Ole is doing a good job of weeding out the players not up to the task, or those who wanted out - Lukaku and Young for example. We will see more players get the chop this summer, but before we bemoan the lack of outgoings we must remember that these players must be replaced, so he needs to be backed in the summer to complete the overhaul of the squad.

Out of those who need to/should go, I would like to see the below.

Rojo - if not already on a permanent deal back to Argentina. His wages are massive for a player who plays so little
Jones - Constantly injured, high wages, time to move on
Smalling - Not because I don't rate him but because he has a chance at having a good career at Roma and would command a decent fee
Lingard - Not at the standard we need, signed with Mino Raiola so the writing is on the wall there
Alexis - Simply has to go by whatever means necessary as far as I am concerned

Other honorable mentions would include Mata, Matic and Pereria. Mata and Matci are not getting younger, but they do offer some experience and guidance to the younger players. Pereria is a bit like Lingard but a useful squad player for another season.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Luke Shaw is just about the only left footed defender we have. He has looked strong and sharp the last couple of times he's played (I actually had him as MoM against Chelsea), and his ability to play as the left of a back three gives us tactical options. There is also evidence that he and Brandon Williams play well together, and the latter would certainly benefit from having a more experienced left back to guide him.
Agreed, im generally not a fan of 3 at the back, but if we'r going to use it from time to time then Shaw becomes a keeper for me, think he's looked very good as the left CB of the 3.

soapythecat

We need to be realistic about how many more players we can release without replacements. There aren’t that many coming through the ranks that can step up next season.

Key players to shift:
Sánchez - doesn’t fit and big wages. Needs replacing.
Rojo - clearly not wanted and not good enough. Replaced by Tuenazabe.
Lingard - signed with Raiola. He’ll be gone for any offer. Shockingly poor player. Gomes is a suitable replacement.
Jones - needs to be moved on for his own sake. Could forge a good career elsewhere.
The emergence of Shaw at LCB kind of makes this move easy.

I wouldn’t sell anymore unless we get replacements. Squad is already quite thin.
Mata can still do a job of the bench and low key cup games.
Pereira - as above. Might force a move if not featuring though. Seems a motivated lad.
Matić - will prob run his contract down. He’s grown on most of us these last few months and could still play many games for us.
Smalling - could still play a part for us but I doubt he will come back unless told he’s first 11, which he won’t be. Will be sold and I think he’ll be great wherever he goes.

I’ve not mentioned Pogba as he’s not deadwood just a potential issue for the club until we start performing well. CL qualification will probably see him extend his contract.

Jonno

We need to be realistic about how many more players we can release without replacements. There aren’t that many coming through the ranks that can step up next season.

Key players to shift:
Lingard - signed with Raiola. He’ll be gone for any offer. Shockingly poor player. Gomes is a suitable replacement.
Jones - needs to be moved on for his own sake. Could forge a good career elsewhere.

I wouldn’t sell anymore unless we get replacements. Squad is already quite thin.
Pereira - as above. Might force a move if not featuring though. Seems a motivated lad.
Matić - will prob run his contract down. He’s grown on most of us these last few months and could still play many games for us.
Smalling - could still play a part for us but I doubt he will come back unless told he’s first 11, which he won’t be. Will be sold and I think he’ll be great wherever he goes.

I’ve not mentioned Pogba as he’s not deadwood just a potential issue for the club until we start performing well. CL qualification will probably see him extend his contract.
Good post, a few discussion points though.

Lingard wont "be gone for any offer". We'll probably try to sell him for his market value if someone comes in and wants to pay it, but we won't just throw him away for nothing just because you or some fans dislike him. Ole see's him as a good squad player and someone whos been here most of his life.

Matic has always been a top quality CM, he hasn't grown on me "this past few months". He grew on me when he helped Chelsea win a League title. I never doubted him when he was injured and fans were posting "Matic needs to leave" and "Matic is done" for no reason other than his age and the fact Mourinho signed him. He's forging an excellent partnership with Fred and is the ideal option when McTomminay doesn't play.

Mata has recently proven he can slice open teams in the PL, not just low key cup games. He's very much in rotation in this team and despite being past his best, he's one of the most talented players in the squad when you compare him and the height of his peak he reached to the likes of Chong, Gomes, Lingard, Pereira. He will still be an important player for the next 18 months or so without doubt, even if it is in a rotational sense. Much more than a low key cup game player.

Gomes? What has he done to demonstrate he's a suitable replacement for Lingard, a man whos played shedloads of games for us? Are you basing that on the hype? Because I've seen him in the youth teams play at a decent standard with flashes of quality, but nothing to suggest he can play 30-40 games per season for the first team.

wolvored

Key players to shift:

Ive never seen Periera have a good game for us. What does he actually bring to the team? Mata needs to be moved on as well. His influence was never that great and its getting less and less.

padzilla

Hipster
Ive never seen Periera have a good game for us. What does he actually bring to the team? Mata needs to be moved on as well. His influence was never that great and its getting less and less.
Agreed in both cases. Pereira is ineffective on the whole and shouldn't be considered good enough long-term, Mata's best days are well behind him, I actually think they were behind him before he joined us - he can still do a job against weaker opposition but is not good enough for crunch games.

mu4c_20le

Well he has five assists so clearly he does bring something. The thing is, he was supposed to be a squad option, not a permanent starter. Same with Mata, he's probably just here to make up the numbers in an already thin squad, has experience and is a good personality in the dressing room.

soapythecat

Because, like I said in the post, we can’t replace and boot out all those we don’t seem good enough in a couple of windows. We still need some depth in an already thin squad. Both of those players can still play a part in some way as there isn’t enough coming through to replace them just yet.
As much as we want lots of underperforming players out of the door, his isn’t a game of footy manager, we have to be realistic about ins and outs.

jackal&hyde

Our problems won’t be sold by sending out players. We should solely focus on bringing in players to strengthen the first team and then automatically 2nd or 3rd choice players would leave
It creates a bad atmosphere in the club when to many players that think they are good enough don't get to play.

SiRed

Quite excited for the summer - I can see 3 first teamers brought in and maybe a squad option upfront.
Realistically i see Pogba, Lingard, Jones and Gomes moving on.

and this is how i imagine next seasons line up

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Williams
Fernandes Neves Grealish
Sancho Martial Rashford

With squad options
Romero
Dalot
Shaw
Smalling
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Matic
Fred
McT
Andreas
Mata
James
Greenwood
Dembele???

And i think from here we would be 1 more summer away from a complete overhaul.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Cool so people still think we should get rid of about half our squad in the summer because they are "deadwood".

So we're going to make about 10 signings in the summer are we? All of which will be better than the players we have?

Grow up

BarstoolProphet

This way of thinking has got to stop with Utd fans and has got us where we are with all this"one of our own staying on in some way or another"
It's not our 'way of thinking' though. There were strong rumours at the time of the contract signing that this was the main reason behind giving him a renewal.

RedIan

I dont get why Matic name keeps getting touted, he has been outstanding since McTominay got injured, he brings a calmness and quality to a young team and I’d keep him for at least another season.

the players who lack quality need moving on, Pereria Jones and Lingard. - rojo is better than these 3 but I’d get rid as he is a complete sicknote.

Mata has quality but his lack of Pace doesnt suit our style, however on occasion he is needed and does well, again I’d keep another season. (Unless we get 2/3 world class midfield players in)

Gator Nate

Absolutely, especially in a 3-5-2 set.

I have no problems keeping Shaw on for rotation and keeping Matic to play against certain sides and setups. It would be far easier to find better players, move these down the depth chart, and slate the bottom-feeders. Shaw and Matic aren't bottom-feeders.

As for Smalling, I won't deny he's got talent, but I don't know that he'll work well in our back line. Serie A seems to be a good place for those we don't want, or who don't want to be here.

Lentwood

I would approach it as below;

Must Go:

Lingard & Jones - symbolic of the post-SAF years of mediocrity
Rojo and Sanchez - two loans that need to be made permanent transfers
Mata - on 160K a week and contributes maybe one or two good moments a season
Pogba - unnecessary distraction, on ridiculous money and has barely played this season. Sell for £100m+ and bring in a CF with the money

Open to Offers:

Pereira - not good enough for Utd but should be approaching his prime and we shouldn't sell for less than £25m in this market
Smalling - seems to have done well in Italy but Bailly, Lindelöf, Maguire & Tuanzebe (plus Shaw at LCB) should be enough going into the new season. Wouldn't sell for less than £20m though.

-Supreme-

Our squad players are yet again cannot be relied upon and we have had to bring on our first team players to win us the game against a very poor Norwich side

Ole should start giving mins to Chong and Gomes and stop playing Mata and Lingard - let's hope we find buyers in the summer

GazTheLegend

Our squad players are yet again cannot be relied upon and we have had to bring on our first team players to win us the game against a very poor Norwich side

Ole should start giving mins to Chong and Gomes and stop playing Mata and Lingard - let's hope we find buyers in the summer
Gomes will be gone tomorrow.