Film The death of cinema?

F-Red

45,000 jobs to go. Fecking tragic.
The majority of the 5,500 UK jobs were zero hour contracts (bar managers), it's loose to call it a job.

2) Global box office is still trending upwards:
The growth is attributable to a few markets:

Also, certainly in the UK, an increase in box office takings is more attributable to the 15% increase in pricing rather than an increase in demand.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I don't know what kind of setups you guys have at home but mine certainly can't compete with the big screen, sound quality and general immersion of the cinemas. A movie experience at home is incomparable to one at the cinemas in my opinion.
100% this

slyadams

I have a decent screen and sound system at home, I would still rather see a big release at the cinema. Perhaps I'm a dinosaur, but you can't replicate the immersion and, with particular movies, the atmosphere.

I remember I went to watch the Nun on the opening night and about half an hour in an actor dressed up as the Nun slowly walked into the cinema and walked around for about 20 minutes. With the movie, the darkness, the sound and the atmosphere it was brilliant.

Bojan11

Cineworld and Warner Bros have hatched a multi-year agreement that will see the No. 2 global exhibitor show the studio’s 2021 theatrical and HBO Max day-and-date titles in the U.S. as of their theatrical release. Then, beginning in 2022, Warner Bros theatrical releases will have a 45-day window of theatrical exclusivity at Cineworld’s Regal chain in the U.S.
As for the UK, Cineworld’s second largest market, Warner Bros and Cineworld have agreed to an exclusive theatrical window of 31 days prior to PVOD, and an extended window of 45 days for films that open to an agreed upon box-office threshold. Cineworld expects to resume operations in the UK in May, in line with current government guidance.

Drifter

American
You can get a decent projector and screen nowadays, and with a good set of speakers, you are sorted.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Who's supporting their local cinema and heading to the movies next week then?

I've got some credit left on a Cineworld gift card that I'm itching to use; it'll probably go on a screening of Godzilla Vs. Kong. Can't wait for the big screen experience.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Who's supporting their local cinema and heading to the movies next week then?

I've got some credit left on a Cineworld gift card that I'm itching to use; it'll probably go on a screening of Godzilla Vs. Kong. Can't wait for the big screen experience.
I'm going to watch Minari next Sunday.

Different type of film but same reason - nothing beats the big screen :drool:

Oo0AahCantona

Nothing can beat a good cinema experience, but my problem is that the lack of ushers and security mean more and more chavs and rude bellends come in, talk the entire way through, take phone calls etc and its such a pain every single fecking time having to go up to people and tell them to shut up. Its also pretty dangerous sometimes dependant on who is talking. Completely killed the vibe for me in recent times.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Nothing can beat a good cinema experience, but my problem is that the lack of ushers and security mean more and more chavs and rude bellends come in, talk the entire way through, take phone calls etc and its such a pain every single fecking time having to go up to people and tell them to shut up. Its also pretty dangerous sometimes dependant on who is talking. Completely killed the vibe for me in recent times.
This above ruins it for me. Especially as I like watching horror movies and those attract the worst kind of people.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
This above ruins it for me. Especially as I like watching horror movies and those attract the worst kind of people.
I agree with this. Respite is when there is a good movie that chavs won't see. If it ain't a blockbuster, you can have a good experience.

Still, can get some posh inconsiderate people too.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I might be lucky but the only bad cinemas I've been to are ones in city centres or big shopping malls (Westfield, that sort of thing). I'll happily avoid those forever.

Oo0AahCantona

Like the prices are a bit of a pisstake, but i can stomach the 10 quid + ticket, the 5-10 quid popcorn and a coke, so long as the experience they are giving is top class. Instead, they keep upping the prices and reducing the quality of service and amount of staff.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The cinema doesn't really do much for me these days, although the general vibe when you go with mates is quite nice. I do have some really fond memories of going quite a lot with my mum when I was a kid though, so it'd be a shame not to be able to give that to mine one day if it does fully die.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't know what kind of setups you guys have at home but mine certainly can't compete with the big screen, sound quality and general immersion of the cinemas. A movie experience at home is incomparable to one at the cinemas in my opinion.
Home is much better. No feckwits talking, reading their phone or talking through the film and you can actually turn the lights out. With emergency exit lighting and row number lighting and lighting along the steps it is impossible not to be constantly distracted and annoyed.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Cinema+ a well mannered audience exceeds the home experience ,for me. I'm lucky enough to have had very, very few issues regarding a poor audience experience.

fergieisold

Home is much better. No feckwits talking, reading their phone or talking through the film and you can actually turn the lights out. With emergency exit lighting and row number lighting and lighting along the steps it is impossible not to be constantly distracted and annoyed.
Thought you meant home as in HOME in Manchester for a second! Anyone who isn't a fan of the big chain cinemas should try HOME - really nice place with no chavs.