The Debate (Sky Sports)

Apokalips

Love Undisputed first take not do much but it's still good .

It could work over here with permanent hosts one a journalist and one a former sports star and the right moderator and doesn't have to be a purely football show . Get people who know about more than football .

I'm not a basketball fan but love undisputed whenever Shannon gets a chance to wear his GOAT mask when LeBron does well . Plus the hosts side bets always make it entertaining
Couldn't work because we don't have the personality in our sports. Imagine a Skip Bayless character that is purposely a hater? We don't have the fun factor in our Sports broadcasting, just look at the stupid comments over Pogba dancing in his home, things American athletes do all the time.

We're too stiff over here for such a show. Look at the difference between Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares UK and USA, it's like night and day and reflects the differences in culture between our audiences and the US audience.

Foxbatt

Good God, no wonder the state of English football is going down the drain with lunatics like Ian Holloway. He has not the slightest idea of anything apart from his very narrow view of the world. What has Brexit or Europe got to do anything about VAR or handball? " Telling us how to play our own game"? Yeah bring back the Home Championship and the find out there is no one else left to play with. They have all buggered off to join Europe. How stupid are some of these people? How on Earth do they even become football managers. I have no issues with people supporting Brexit or Remaining but to blame the new handball rule and VAR to EU is the height of Idiocy.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Couldn't work because we don't have the personality in our sports. Imagine a Skip Bayless character that is purposely a hater? We don't have the fun factor in our Sports broadcasting, just look at the stupid comments over Pogba dancing in his home, things American athletes do all the time.

We're too stiff over here for such a show. Look at the difference between Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares UK and USA, it's like night and day and reflects the differences in culture between our audiences and the US audience.
Or Shannon who is purposely a fanboi ? I feel like the guys in various british shows take themselves way too seriously so I defo agree with you. Same thing with french shows (radio is a bit better)
Skip and Shannon (and their guests) have a very good balance between fun and seriousness.

Speedicut75

Good God, no wonder the state of English football is going down the drain with lunatics like Ian Holloway. He has not the slightest idea of anything apart from his very narrow view of the world. What has Brexit or Europe got to do anything about VAR or handball? " Telling us how to play our own game"? Yeah bring back the Home Championship and the find out there is no one else left to play with. They have all buggered off to join Europe. How stupid are some of these people? How on Earth do they even become football managers. I have no issues with people supporting Brexit or Remaining but to blame the new handball rule and VAR to EU is the height of Idiocy.
He now does a stint on TalkSport and listening to both him and Alan Brazil in full "stream of consciousness" mode is truly horrific. He seems to have no filter whatsoever: everything that he's been ruminating over, whether that be related to sports, current-affairs or politics, gets melded together and spaffed out in the course of any discussion whether on topic or not.

lsd

The Oracle
I think a big part of how well the US shows work too is that the hosts and guests are allowed to be themselves ie totally biased and upfront about who they support and who they hate .

There's no fake sitting on the fence trying to be fair to all teams that Sky try to enforce

Apokalips

Or Shannon who is purposely a fanboi ? I feel like the guys in various british shows take themselves way too seriously so I defo agree with you. Same thing with french shows (radio is a bit better)
Skip and Shannon (and their guests) have a very good balance between fun and seriousness.
Yeah, that's 100% true. Our pundits here in Europe take themselves too seriously, whereas it's like a performance art in America. Shannon/Stephen A have their role and Max/Skip have theirs and it seems like they all just have fun with it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Holloway always came across as an idiot. But this is something else :lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
English football is actually doing very well. The national team made the semi finals of the last 2 tournaments and are playing a good brand of football, The Premier League is the most viewed in the world and we've just had 4 English teams in the 2 European Cup finals. Holloway doesn't really have any power in the game and a lot of the classic English managers aren't anywhere near the top.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, that's 100% true. Our pundits here in Europe take themselves too seriously, whereas it's like a performance art in America. Shannon/Stephen A have their role and Max/Skip have theirs and it seems like they all just have fun with it.
Here in Italy we certainly don't :drool:

Also somebody should quote holloway's explanation

Seen snippets, here's my favourite
What I’m saying is, as an English person, I’m sick and fed up of being told what we’ve got to do. Our country is fantastic. If you let us make our own rules up, do what we want to do, we’ll be in control of it a lot better

freeurmind

weak willed
There was one yesterday discussing the penalty "controversy" and Lingards form.

ValenciaRocks

There was one yesterday discussing the penalty "controversy" and Lingards form.
Yep, saw this too... fair to say Holloway talks out of his arse. He’s clearly out of his depth and hasn’t put much thought into his analysis at all.