The decision to sell Fellaini

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Now, I didn't like the sight of Fellaini starting games for us, as much as anybody. While he had his uses, he didn't represent what I wanted to see from a Manchester United player. But we appear to have replaced him with Andreas Periera. And to be honest, it's not even a contest. Fellaini is miles better than them based on what we've seen of both thus far.

I don't know what happened behind the scenes but you don't sell disappointing players by replacing them with already in house and much worse ones. Surely Ole was involved in this absurd call? This and Herrera being replaced by Mctominay are two extremely weird pieces of squad building.

I never thought I'd miss Fellaini. fecksake this club.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We have hit the lowest point when we start to miss Fellaini.

Herrera was very good player though, shame he left on free transfer. Him and McT would have been good pair alongside Pogba.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fellaini was a very good option for us, like it or not. Good plan B, physical enough, decent target man for DDG to punt it to and he actually wasn't terrible in passing.

amolbhatia50k

It was the right decision. Fellaini went to China, not to Real Madrid or Barcelona.
Yes. But imagine thinking we have someone better in the ranks and then that person turning out to be Andreas Periera.

Davie Moyes

I was thinking the same recently. He was a very good plan B, however like with Sanchez and Lukaku it was the right decision to let them go, not replacing them is the big mistake.

pascell

Didn't know Fellaini played RW :confused:

Fellaini was never good enough for the club and would bare no improvement to this current side either. We'd be berating Ole further if he was rotating between Fellaini and Matic, good choice selling Fellaini imo.

amolbhatia50k

I was thinking the same recently. He was a very good plan B, however like with Sanchez and Lukaku it was the right decision to let them go, not replacing them is the big mistake.
I mean, I didn't even like Fellaini much. I'd happily replace him for some midget technician. But Periera and co? Come on now. What manager takes such weird calls. Feels of fans want to see youth so I'll give it to them (regardless of quality)

King Eric 7

I was thinking of Fellaini yesterday and how much we miss him as a team. It seems that Ole wants us to play a certain way and thinks that it's better to do that with substandard players rather than be pragmatic with the ones we do have.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The decision to let go the players we've let go have all been correct (I mean i'd rather we kept Herrera, but once he had made his mind up to not stay then that was that).

Our decision to replace exactly zero of them is what is monumentally idiotic.

DoomSlayer

Yes. But imagine thinking we have someone better in the ranks and then that person turning out to be Andreas Periera.
So is Fellaini bossing it in China now or what? What is your presumption that the Belgian is better than the likes of Pereira based on? Wishful thinking and our current horrific run of form?

Herrera has also not been some sort of revelation at PSG, has he?

Grande

I really liked Fellaini as a character, and I thought it was and is very correct and even important to let him go. He forced his way into the plans of a couple of very different managers who to begin with didn’t see the use for him. It tells you all about his very good attitude and surprising flexibility. At the same time he was a crutch to lean on, when we need to learn to walk the hard way.

To me, McTominay and Fred are both better choices at this point, than Fella would have been. We need a new midfielder, but not one like Fellaini, and we don’t need him taking up squad place being useful on rotation. Woodward need to see we are thin there withou being able to point at three useful rotation options there. So be it if we lose a few points we could have gotten with an odd corner goal.

Camilo

It was a terrible decision. Just like Herrera, just like Lukaku. You cannot sell good solid professional players and replace them with young inexperienced and unproven kids, especially when the remaining professionals are so average. It's fecking ludicrous thinking. We've weakened ourselves. We've made our team worse. Selling players without replacing them is never a good decision. Chong, who has the build of a 12 year old, is in the bloody squad for goodness sake... Pathetic.

Judas

Open to offers
The right decision, the wrong decision was the lack of business done since he left in the middle of the pitch. Shows you how terrible we are when people are feeling nostalgic about him. He was a ugly plan B, one that we were all hoping we'd upgrade on, now we don't even have a plan A.

Bwuk

Sadly Fellaini would walk into our current side.

He'd be a much better option than Fred.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So is Fellaini bossing it in China now or what? What is your presumption that the Belgian is better than the likes of Pereira based on? Wishful thinking and our current horrific run of form?

Herrera has also not been some sort of revelation at PSG, has he?
First. Fellaini is better than perreria

Second. Somebody is better than nobody

DoomSlayer

First. Fellaini is better than perreria

Second. Somebody is better than nobody
Fellaini is old, past it and not better than Pereira, unless you want to play the ball in the air only.

I agree we need midfielders sharpish, but Fellaini is definitely not the one and it was excellent that he was finally moved on.

Siorac

Fellaini was a clumsy oaf and we're well rid of him.

We should have signed at least one midfielder in the summer, however. But that was obvious anyway.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
We have hit the lowest point when we start to miss Fellaini.

Herrera was very good player though, shame he left on free transfer. Him and McT would have been good pair alongside Pogba.
I find it weird that you think we've just hit our lowest point now after having defended Oles obvious mediocrity since February.

It makes absolutely no sense selling a player when we have no intentions of replacing him. This ones on our manager.

NinjaFletch

The decision to let go the players we've let go have all been correct (I mean i'd rather we kept Herrera, but once he had made his mind up to not stay then that was that).

Yeah, this, we've sold well and generally bought well under Ole. We have however sold far quicker than we're willing or able to replace. That is the issue, not the decision to clear out players who aren't at the level we need.

(Oh, other than Herrera leaving which was stupid.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Just Fellaini ? Herrera, Lukaku, Sanchez the list goes on.

Next year it will be Pogba and we will replace him with some average players.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Nothing wrong with selling him, not replacing as well as also letting Herrera go, and the miss-guided purchase of Fred are the issues. Fellaini isn't going to make this side play well

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I find it weird that you think we've just hit our lowest point now after having defended Oles obvious mediocrity since February.

It makes absolutely no sense selling a player when we have no intentions of replacing him. This ones on our manager.
Tbh I feel I have hit the lowest point when I read or reply to your posts.

DoomSlayer

This ones on our manager.
No, it is not. The manager might have wanted to sign 1-2 midfielders, probably wanted to keep Herrera but the board didn't comply. When are they going to be held responsible and get sacked for these 6 years of our club's destruction?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I do wonder if not replacing players has something to do with wishful thinking on Ole's part, trying too much to recreate what Fergie had and assuming they'll 'get it' more than someone bought, or if that's something the board wanted for either financial reasons or an attempt to please the fans.

romufc

Exactly, fans are getting confused. The reason we let them go is because a) they were not good enough
b) they were not performing
c) didn't want to be here

Fans who keep coming out with it was a mistake or we could have done with x player or y player need to go back and watch games / check results when they were here. These people have VERY short memories.

Last season it was Daley Blind, this season its Herrera and Fellaini.

So what we should have played Herrera 300k to convince him to stay here and then have fans complaining we pay too much?

matt10000

Selling was more a political move than anything else. Mourinho recognised that Fellaini was a useful last option to have when nothing else is working and so you just resort to hit the donkey on the head and hope it ricochets into the opposition net. Not pretty but an option never the less

Ole came in and Fellaini represents everything that went wrong when Moyes took over and the shambles since , this was a political decision more than a footballing one.

Shark

@NotShark
Sadly Fellaini would walk into our current side.

He'd be a much better option than Fred.
100%. Fred is an absolute waste of space. How often did Fellaini lose the ball? not very often from what I remember, he was a neat passer of the ball. Last night Fred might as well have been playing for the opposition.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
Behind the scenes the scenario that fits what has been happening I assume is that the board have told Ole just do whatever keeps the fans happy.

The most inflammatory players (To the fans) have gone - Fellaini, Lukakku, Sanchez. Utd have gone back to the days of bringing the kids through and developing from within. Ole is back and at the wheel. Whatever the fans wanted is what happened from what I saw. That (And not spending a lot this season) says to me they are worried about fan fallout and Wenger style protests, and they are worried about wasting more money.

To me though they have put a nail in the coffin, theyve gotten rid of the players that will carry United through, sure the kids are exciting but they need someone inspirational and demanding driving them on, but Lukakku/SAnchez were actually good players, just needed managing.

Shark

@NotShark
Just Fellaini ? Herrera, Lukaku, Sanchez the list goes on.

Next year it will be Pogba and we will replace him with some average players.
Yet there's a vast amount of people on here that think Ole should walk into a DOF role, complete morons. The morons that have played a part in getting us into this mess, shooting down anyone that dared say he'd be a disaster of an appointment.

DoomSlayer

100%. Fred is an absolute waste of space. How often did Fellaini lose the ball? not very often from what I remember, he was a neat passer of the ball. Last night Fred might as well have been playing for the opposition.
:houllier: Absolute rewriting of history. Fred is incredibly awful for a £52 million player, but Fellaini was even worse when it came to the technical side of the game, bar a few moments each season. Scoring some scrappy goals here and there don't make Fellaini a useful CM, he was kind of acceptable as a battering ram, nothing more.

Have you people seriously forgot how hilariously bad Fellaini was on the ball? How he was as slow as Matic and was a walking red card a lot of the games, giving away silly fouls and penalties?

owlo

Useful player, pushed out by the manager in line with fan sentiment at the time without any short term intention to replace.

Same as Lukaku. (Except Fellaini seemed to like playing for the shirt)

OGS the oaf at work. People can blame the board all they want, but it's the manager who pushed them out without identifying a replacement first.

And now the pressure is on Rashford, Greenwood, Gomes, McTominay etc to replace these guys and take the flak when they can't immediately step up. Disgraceful management and I've been saying it all summer.

Shark

@NotShark
:houllier: Absolute rewriting of history. Fred is incredibly awful for a £52 million player, but Fellaini was even worse when it came to the technical side of the game, bar a few moments each season. Scoring some scrappy goals here and there don't make Fellaini a useful CM, he was kind of acceptable as a battering ram, nothing more.

Have you poor seriously forgot how hilariously bad Fellaini was on the ball? How he was as slow as Matic and was a walking red card a lot of the games, giving away silly fouls and penalties?
He gave away fouls, he was slow but what I'm referring to is actually giving the ball away with a sloppy pass/header. from what I remember he didn't lose possession carelessly as we've seen with Fred.

Last edited:

momo83

Massive Snowflake
The decision to sell Fellaini and push out and sell Lukaku shows that Ole has the right idea but lacks the ability.

It’s like someone who hits the gym, dresses up well to go out on the pull but then doesn’t know how to talk so goes home alone.

DoomSlayer

He gave away fouls, he was slow but what I'm referring to is actually giving the call away with a sloppy pass/header. from what I remember he didn't lose possession carelessly as we've seen with Fred.
Fellaini's aerial abilities are the only thing that make him more useful than Fred but when it comes to ability on the ball, he was even worse, especially under pressure and in high-tempo games. Fred is horrendous, that's true, but no way is Fellaini a better technical player.

And he did lose possession as much as Fred, people have just forgotten again how bad we were under Mourinho during most of his tenure here.

owlo

He gave away fouls, he was slow but what I'm referring to is actually giving the call away with a sloppy pass/header. from what I remember he didn't lose possession carelessly as we've seen with Fred.
Yea, he's nowhere near as bad as people here are making out. He went to China for a payday because he wanted an exorbitant wage at the end of his career, not because 'no club wanted him.'

The decision to sell Fellaini and push out and sell Lukaku shows that Ole has the right idea but lacks the ability.

It’s like someone who hits the gym, dresses up well to go out on the pull but then doesn’t know how to talk so goes home alone.
No, it's like somebody who sells their house because it isn't big enough without having a replacement other than their car.

Omahahaha

I mean, I didn't even like Fellaini much. I'd happily replace him for some midget technician. But Periera and co? Come on now. What manager takes such weird calls. Feels of fans want to see youth so I'll give it to them (regardless of quality)
Agreed, feels very much like it.

Red00012

Selling him was the right decision but somewhere along the line with also losing Herrera the question has to be asked to Ole and Woodward why weren’t those 2 players replaced.
No value in the market is BS, I don’t accept it, everyone knows if Utd come calling clubs are adding on millions which then the club go for a plan B option.

I genuinely don’t think there was a plan b.

Status
Not open for further replies.