The decision to sell Fellaini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amerifan

No, I'm saying Harry is much better because he can actually play football, you know, like contribute to the team rather than making dirty fouls, giving up the midfield and making us play Burnley/Stoke route one football.

As if your defending him by claiming 2 goals a season while being utter sh*te is better than 1 goal a season being one of the top CB's in the league. :houllier:
I see. I didn’t realize this was an either/or. Yes, Maquire is a much better player.

starman

Not a mistake in trying to move the style of football forward.

Was a mistake in getting rid of him before Matic and if the llorente rumours are true, was a mistake in not keeping hold of him and using as a back up striker instead

cyril C

We have hit the lowest point when we start to miss Fellaini.

Herrera was very good player though, shame he left on free transfer. Him and McT would have been good pair alongside Pogba.
Agree. Fellaini never fits into our team so it was a bad mistake right from the start. LVG and Mourinho somehow made the best of him but you would never call that FIT IN. The worst possible example is that we replace him with even worse players, making our academy boy "dearly missed" is a joke.

cyril C

Well, Ole can't dodge the Smalling and Lukaku decisions, they were purely his. How they don't fit into his plan....

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Well, Ole can't dodge the Smalling and Lukaku decisions, they were purely his. How they don't fit into his plan....
He hasnt once tried to dodge them, has he? Lukaku had to go, and Smalling I believe went not because we didn't rate him, but because we had 400 centre-backs and he was the only one anyone was showing serious interest in.

RedIan

Selling Fellani and Lukaku were the right decisions. Not replacing them is an unforgivable mistake And piss poor management.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Fellaini shouldn't be even signed in the first place in perspective of ever playing quick, attacking football.

waza7111

It was the right decision to sell Fellaini. But to let both Fellaini and Herrera leave without replacing at least one of them was really stupid.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Just because his replacement is trash doesn't mean we should have kept Fellaini. It was the right move to sell him. If anyone should have stayed, it should have been Herrera.

stevoc

Selling Fellaini is one of the best pieces of business we've done in years. It was the right time for him to go.

Roboc7

Worth remembering Fellaini wanted to leave, he threw the towel in and went to China because a caretaker manager wasn’t picking him.

cyril C

He hasnt once tried to dodge them, has he? Lukaku had to go, and Smalling I believe went not because we didn't rate him, but because we had 400 centre-backs and he was the only one anyone was showing serious interest in.
Pogba wants to go as well why didn't we let him go for free? We kept Rojo and Jones, finally get rid of Darmian, then let the best backup (if you think Smalling is behind Lindelof) on loan?

Lukaku is another big joke. Did he not perform at PSG? Did he not able to score when Rashford was injured? He may not be a Lewandoski but at least a pacy, powerful striker who will be very expensive to replace. By the way who do you think should be the replacement, say at 80m, under 28y old? So how can Ole tell Lukaku he is not part of his plan? This is as bad as how Conte handle DC.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Now, I didn't like the sight of Fellaini starting games for us, as much as anybody. While he had his uses, he didn't represent what I wanted to see from a Manchester United player. But we appear to have replaced him with Andreas Periera. And to be honest, it's not even a contest. Fellaini is miles better than them based on what we've seen of both thus far.

I don't know what happened behind the scenes but you don't sell disappointing players by replacing them with already in house and much worse ones. Surely Ole was involved in this absurd call? This and Herrera being replaced by Mctominay are two extremely weird pieces of squad building.

I never thought I'd miss Fellaini. fecksake this club.
Have a word with yourself, amol. FFS.

Nickelodeon

We don't miss him. We miss a potential replacement / improvement. As things stand, shockingly, none of our 4 primary CMs from last season are playing that too without any replacements. If we were today to see any of our squad players (Lingard, Mata etc.) and we don't replace them, then suddenly we'll start missing them too.

If anything, we should miss Lukaku who was on fire the other night. And if he wasn't a player we had already sold, I'd be praying for signing him.

Alabaster Codify7

It was 100% the right decision. In no circumstances should Fellaini have been given an improved contract, and that is essentially what he wanted. 100k+ is too much to pay someone whose main contribution / skill was "being a handful". If we wanted that, we could have signed Troy Deeney for £20m and paid him 50k a week or something.

He had to go.

However, not replacing him with a better midfielder, or not replacing him at all actually, was a ridiculously poor decision and still is.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's clumsy and not a player you'd expect to be at United.

But I think people forgot about how many times He scored and saved us points during his time here. I'd still play him over Pereira to be honest. Both aren't fit to be a ManUnited midfielder mind you.

Dr. Dwayne

Oh I don't really miss Fellaini. Never liked him as a footballer. But watching Periera start for us never stops amusing/irritating me. Makes Fellaini seem genuienely great. Says more about Periera though
Too much turkey and wine, then?

Yeah Perreira isn't good enough but he wouldn't be playing if Pogba was available.

At least he isn't a red card waiting to happen, mind.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

But I think people forgot about how many times He scored and saved us points during his time here. I'd still play him over Pereira to be honest. Both aren't fit to be a ManUnited midfielder mind you.
Selling him wasn't the problem. Not replacing him is

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

Yeah Perreira isn't good enough but he wouldn't be playing if Pogba was available.
Fellaini has more quality and attributes useful to any football team than Andreas Pereira. Also, Pereira was partnering Pogba early-on at the start of season. He was first-choice CM.

He picked up 2 red cards in 177 appearances at the club over 6 seasons, no where a red card casualty as you seem to portray.

stevoc

Oh I don't really miss Fellaini. Never liked him as a footballer. But watching Periera start for us never stops amusing/irritating me. Makes Fellaini seem genuienely great. Says more about Periera though
I don't know i don't see much difference between them, as a central midfielder (in a midfield two) both are mediocre.

How many times did he save points during his time here?

AshRK

Selling Fellaini, Lukaku and letting go Sanchez, Herrera were all good decision but not replacing them with adequate quality is the reason we are struggling.

Lynty

Pogba, McTominay, Fred, Matic and Pereira 'should' (under normal circumstances) have been enough cover for a double pivot midfield.

Fellaini shouldn't have ever been signed. Herrera shouldn't have been allowed to leave. But neither needed replacement.

What we actually need is a good midfielder. Not more midfielders.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Pogba, McTominay, Fred, Matic and Pereira 'should' (under normal circumstances) have been enough cover for a double pivot midfield.

Fellaini shouldn't have ever been signed. Herrera shouldn't have been allowed to leave. But neither needed replacement.

What we actually need is a good midfielder. Not more midfielders.
Finally someone who see the root of the problem. Signing Fellaini and letting go of real midfielder like Kroos is exactly the reason why United can't keep up even to this day.

Getting absolute crumbs on the market like half senile Schweinsteiger is another example.

Dr. Dwayne

Fellaini has more quality and attributes useful to any football team than Andreas Pereira. Also, Pereira was partnering Pogba early-on at the start of season. He was first-choice CM.

He picked up 2 red cards in 177 appearances at the club over 6 seasons, no where a red card casualty as you seem to portray.
If Pogba was available now he'd be partnered with McTominay (when he's fit) or Fred, who wasn't match fit at the start of the season. Pereira got his chance and didn't take it.

Just because he only received two red cards doesn't mean he wasn't a constant risk. Was he generally unfairly treated by referees? Yes, but those elbows were always a danger.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Regardless of Pogba, Periera has been designated as an important midfielder for us this season. One player doesn't change that I'm afraid. Woeful decision by Ole.

And yes, while Fellaini wasn't great and not the kind of player I wanted to see play for us, he was better than Periera and by a margin.

Eriku

Let’s not pretend like him and his elbows couldn’t have had a fair few more. And most of his appearances were off the bench.

Dr. Dwayne

Regardless of Pogba, Periera has been designated as an important midfielder for us this season. One player doesn't change that I'm afraid. Woeful decision by Ole.

And yes, while Fellaini wasn't great and not the kind of player I wanted to see play for us, he was better than Periera and by a margin.
I'm not sure I agree. Pereira is more mobile, has a better range of passing, shot and dead ball skills. Fellaini was stronger and better in the air. His chest control was a thing of beauty, of course. With the exception of that miracle chest, neither of them are able to apply their abilities consistently. Fella, being older, was a logical choice to go. Pereira, somehow, still retains a bit of potential to improve, although I don't see it happening.

We're in a serious rebuild after a bunch of other managers gave us a squad like a shanty town and it will take a bit of time to sort out.

Based Adnan

People still saying we shouldn't have got rid of Fellaini :lol:

His minutes have been taken up by a player that can actually play in midfield properly in McTominay

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"

From what I can see he scored twelve goals in 119 premier league games.
Edit: seems we won three games in the premier league by one goal difference when he scored.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I was looking at our players injuries in the last 5-6 years and Fellaini was often in the physio room. It's weird how I don't remember it that way.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
If Pogba was available now he'd be partnered with McTominay (when he's fit) or Fred, who wasn't match fit at the start of the season. Pereira got his chance and didn't take it.
Solskjaer has played 4231 for majority of this season where Pereira has either played as an AM/CM or RM. He's been a regular fixture in our side this season in different roles, it has little to do with Pogba. I mean, he has literally started in 11 PL matches out of 13 so far this season.

Just because he only received two red cards doesn't mean he wasn't a constant risk. Was he generally unfairly treated by referees? Yes, but those elbows were always a danger.
He knew how to use his physicality, you can rough your opponents up until you pick up a booking after which you can reign yourself in. It's called being smart. Also, I hope you realize that retrospective punishment has been in play for years in PL, if his elbows were that much of a risk. He would've been suspended on many more instances. To sum up, Fellaini being a liability is one of many myths which is regularly repeated on this board.

Let’s not pretend like him and his elbows couldn’t have had a fair few more. And most of his appearances were off the bench.
In the end he only ever got sent off twice in over 150 appearances for the club, the poster made it sound like Fellaini was a total liability on the pitch. Far from it, even with his technical shortcomings he was a very useful player. But, that never prevented our 'fans' from piling on abuse on Fellaini both on social media as well as on pitch.

From what I can see he scored twelve goals in 119 premier league games.
Edit: seems we won three games in the premier league by one goal difference when he scored.
Believe it or not, all good moments we've had post Fergie years. Fellaini played a vital role. Be it a league cup SF goal, or an FA Cup SF goal or a EL SF goal. He saved our asses on many instances.

People still saying we shouldn't have got rid of Fellaini :lol:

His minutes have been taken up by a player that can actually play in midfield properly in McTominay
Are you imagining things? No one is saying we should have never sold Fellaini. Selling him was the right call, but not replacing him was foolish. Especially when another mid in Herrera was already leaving.

Last edited:

Eriku

In the end he only ever got sent off twice in over 150 appearances for the club, the poster made it sound like Fellaini was a total liability on the pitch. Far from it, even with his technical shortcomings he was a very useful player. But, that never prevented our 'fans' from piling on abuse on Fellaini both on social media as well as on pitch.
Like I said, I don't think that stat represents the whole truth. Him and Rojo are two players who made me worry about us winding up with 10 men.

I TOTALLY agree on the abuse from fans, though. I mean, I was really pissed off when he got subbed on and cost us a win against Everton by immediately clumsily fouling in our box and giving them a penalty, but booing your own players and the vitriolic abuse he got on social media is definitely not on. We still see that with Ashley Young, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.