Television The Disappearance of Madeleine Mccann Netflix Documentary

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Good point.

I was thinking to simple on that one.

There are just so many different theories, I don't believe it will ever be solved.

My biggest grind with the whole story, is that those 2 have been making money off it the whole way. Guilty or not, I don't understand how that can happen. The news stories, books, interviews etc. It is wrong on so many levels.
Kate McCann wrote the book to fund the search for Madeleine.

Carolina Red

Staff
Genuinely surprised by that, you live in the States I assume? People forget some of the stuff the McCanns pulled in the months after she went missing, there was a worldwide concert (Gerry McCann wanted Elton John to lead things but can't remember if he turned up) and they got their own audience with the Pope ffs. :houllier: All that was making worldwide headlines in 2007.

Have to say watching the first two episodes of that Sunderland doc and I was rolling my eyes at all the dumbed down info "THREE teams get relegated from the premier league" etc. Probably a bug bearer of mine with how Netflix do documentaries.
Yep. In the US, and 07 was my senior year of high school / freshman year of college. My thoughts were elsewhere, to say the least.

AkaAkuma

One of the things that stuck out for me watching various documentaries on it was that there were references of madeleine being 'difficult' or a more high strung child. I believe the implication was that the parents were disassociated somewhat from her.

Just on the genitalia comment. While its disturbing out of context, I think its quite rational in context. She is having recurring thoughts of her child being raped and her mind has painted that awful picture in her mind. The only way to counter such a thought as a parent is to focus on the the beauty and innocences of your child. I probably wouldn't refer to things the way she did, but I can understand the concept of focussing on the innocence of a child when all thoughts are negative.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Ad hominem attacks won't get you anywhere. If you can't be bothered to do the basic reading, why should I do it for you?
Usually if you make a claim, i.e that something exists somewhere the onus would be on you to point out exactly where so that it's easily accessible and so that the discussion can continue.

The only reason people come out with the bolded, is because typically they know it's unreasonable for someone to have to read the sheer number of resources to find something that doesn't actually say what was claimed in the first place, and so it's an easy out to put the onus on the other person knowing that it's unlikely to happen.

Keefy18

While it's very easy to say you'd never leave your kids for more than however long, I think people underestimate how close the restaurant was to the room. Plus there were hourly checks. These checks were made on rotation by the group, so this surely rules out any idea that Madeline was dead "days" before the missing date (one theory).
Their timelines didn't add up at all, there's no way they took turns every 20-30 mins like the said they done.

It most likely would rule out the dead for days theory though.

Keefy18

Have to say watching the first two episodes of that Sunderland doc and I was rolling my eyes at all the dumbed down info "THREE teams get relegated from the premier league" etc. Probably a bug bearer of mine with how Netflix do documentaries.
Netflix has a global audience and not everyone would that to be fair. So they have to cater to all as much as possible.

diarm

In one of the earlier episodes they showed the British ambassador to Portugal arriving to the town and speaking to the press. Is the guy with him a young Nigel Farage?

Big Andy

Bloke
If it was child trafficking, why didn’t they take the twins as well?

Kate McCann gives me the chills, she’s deffo guilty of summat...

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
If it was child trafficking, why didn’t they take the twins as well?

Kate McCann gives me the chills, she’s deffo guilty of summat...
Because carrying three children is harder than one.

Personally i think the family had been scouted by a paedophile who had been biding his time to strike, and when he did he took her somewhere in the rural areas and buried her out there. Every other soloution just seems so far fetched. The parents didn’t really have a window of opportunity to do it with all of their friends there too. If she had just left of her own accord her body would have been found locally. Being driven to the local marina and driven to Africa is a scenario but to not have any witnesses is abit unlikely if they were trying to keep her alive. She would have been awake and crying/screaming, cctv etc.

iammemphis

They're funding the search. They're not making money.

They were already rich doctors.
I heard they used the Madeleine fund to pay off their mortgage. It meant they could not work for a year while they searched for her, but still.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Quite a few on here seem adamant it was the parents but is there anything actually substantial to support this?

Because carrying three children is harder than one.

Personally i think the family had been scouted by a paedophile who had been biding his time to strike, and when he did he took her somewhere in the rural areas and buried her out there. Every other soloution just seems so far fetched. The parents didn’t really have a window of opportunity to do it with all of their friends there too. If she had just left of her own accord her body would have been found locally. Being driven to the local marina and driven to Africa is a scenario but to not have any witnesses is abit unlikely if they were trying to keep her alive. She would have been awake and crying/screaming, cctv etc.
I think her body would have been discovered had it been buried so either she is alive or her body was incinerated. Someone who works on a farm could have access to an incinerator or she was burned on a bonfire. If it wasn't a pedophile ring scouting the family then possibly it could have been someone working in the area, at the restaurant or as part of the villa complex who could have scouted the family without attracting too much suspicion. I imagine this has already been investigated as it's not really been discussed as a possibility. Therefore it is more likely it was a some organisation.

In the documentary they mention that the McCanns had booked that restaurant for every evening, this was written in the reservation book of the restaurant which could have been seen by someone involved. Moreover, the window to take the child may have actually been a lot larger as the second person to check on her did not actually verify if she was in the room or not. The group was checking on the children every 20-30 minutes. So, if Maddie was taken after the first check by Gerry McCann then he possibly could have had a 30-40 minute head start before it was realised Maddie had been taken.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Watching episode 5 right now and just reiterates people, particularly on social media are cnuts

Josep Dowling

Just got reminded on Facebook of when Kate McCann wrote about Maddy's "perfect little genitals".

I find it so hard to believe they weren't involved in some way.
Sorry what? In what context would she post that?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sorry what? In what context would she post that?
She’s imagining her daughter being abducted
And raped. Not sure why she’s needed to go into such detail. Does make you think she’s a bit of a weirdo. They both are tbh.

iammemphis

And raped. Not sure why she’s needed to go into such detail. Does make you think she’s a bit of a weirdo. They both are tbh.
In all honesty i think if my 5 year old daughter disappeared off the face of the earth, never to be seen again i would go insane aswell. It would be unimaginable suffering.

Josep Dowling

Yes, sorry I carried on reading and saw the article.

I’ve watched to episode six now. I think these types of mysteries usually have a simple truth.

The evidence with the dogs is enough for me to suggest something happened to the girl. They then moved her in the hire car and dumped her body. How can two dogs, one used to sniff out corpses and the other to sniff out blood go to the same spot in the apartment and direct them to the boot of the car. Then go into their apartment months later and sniff out Madelaine’s toy. And finally pick out clothing for Madelaine and the parents.

And surely there is CCTV footage somewhere. It feels like the police didn’t trace any of the families whereabouts leading up to the ‘abduction’. If she had been abducted whoever did it must have been watching them. I can’t see a pedophile just taking a chance on a child being in the room on their own especially with two siblings in the same apartment. If she was taken there would be a trace, a witness, some form of evidence. The case has cost millions and they have nothing. That surely suggests an abduction never happened.

Castia

Just finished this.

Incredible to think it took 6 years for them to reveal a pedo was loose in the area during that time. I mean there were multiple reports of a predator entering tourists apartments and getting into bed with children between in the of 6-10 it’s by far the most obvious explanation of what happened in my opinion.

Ground floor apartment just off the main road with a open front door and accessible window to the kids room, I bet he couldn’t believe his look.

You could blame the parents for leaving the kids alone and I bet they’ve regretted that decision every day for the past 12 years but they had feck all to do with the disappearance. The police were incredibly bad to the point of neglecting the case. It was the biggest story in world news with hundreds of journalists and paparazzi outside the McCanns residence yet they’re main theory was Madeline‘s dead corpse was moved in a van they rented 25 days after she disappeared? what a joke.

Last edited:

Morpheus 7

I love the work that goes in to Netflix documentaries, shame the Netflix original films are so poor. Anyway, thought the first 3 episodes were excellent, it dipped and had so much unnecessary filler later on. I honestly think it could have been trimmed down, the lack of relevant information later on was a joke.

In my opinion I think something happened involving the parents. I think an accident possibly happened involving the little girl and was covered up, this is only my opinion and I don't think we'll ever know the exact story. The risk taken with the door opened and rotational checks by people at the tapas bar feels odd. The fact there was a babysitting facility on site that wasnt used is off. They were financially well off and the risk taken raises a few questions. The fact that the times given to the police changed and checking on the children changed raises suspicion, as well as the door being opened in the room on the last visit. The point of usually checking on children is to see them in there bed safe! The shudder at the window and crime scene being interfered with before the police got there is bad. The only one I trusted in the documentary was the dog ha.. The dog was telling the truth.

Seriously though the police, tabloids, politics used in this child's disappearance was disgusting. Over 11 million pumped in to a single disappearance. You can't put a price on anybody's life but I wonder how many children could have been found with the money raised. That's the most striking thing about all this, many propheted from a very sad event. My intuition senses foul play involving the parents, always has. It doesn't mean they did, it could be a kidnapping involving child trafficking but i don't think that's what happened. I hope that there is some closure on this case.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yes, sorry I carried on reading and saw the article.

I’ve watched to episode six now. I think these types of mysteries usually have a simple truth.

The evidence with the dogs is enough for me to suggest something happened to the girl. They then moved her in the hire car and dumped her body. How can two dogs, one used to sniff out corpses and the other to sniff out blood go to the same spot in the apartment and direct them to the boot of the car. Then go into their apartment months later and sniff out Madelaine’s toy. And finally pick out clothing for Madelaine and the parents.

And surely there is CCTV footage somewhere. It feels like the police didn’t trace any of the families whereabouts leading up to the ‘abduction’. If she had been abducted whoever did it must have been watching them. I can’t see a pedophile just taking a chance on a child being in the room on their own especially with two siblings in the same apartment. If she was taken there would be a trace, a witness, some form of evidence. The case has cost millions and they have nothing. That surely suggests an abduction never happened.
Thinking about it logically though, for the dogs' marks as presented to all be accurate it would presumably mean that the McCanns killed the child, waited long enough for the cadaver scent to transfer to the surroundings, hurriedly hid the body somewhere nearby in a location so excellent that days of intensive searching didn't find it, popped off for dinner, drew attention to her absence, then waited until they were 25 days into one of one of the most high profile missing person searches in history to move the body from its already excellent hiding place to another site so equally excellent that a further decade of said missing person search never found even a trace of it? All while in a foreign country they have little local knowledge of, without leaving hard forensic evidence behind and without any of the CCTV, eye-witnesses, journalists or police around them noticing?

Alternatively, sniffer dogs (who aren't exactly infallible, whose evidence is inadmissible in court without forensic confirmation in many jurisdictions and who can be misled by even excellent handlers) searching for indicators of forensic evidence among a mix of personal and rental property might not have been entirely accurate? Which (if even some of their marks were wrong or misleading) would point away from the parents once more. Also, I think I'm right in saying only one dog marked the boot of the car, the other marked elsewhere.

Whatever the unknowns of this case, I would be very sure the McCann parents weren't wandering around with Madeline McCann's dead body in the back of their rental car nearly a month into a global manhunt in which they were under the full glare of police suspicion and global media scrutiny. In which case any material detected was (logically) the sort of thing that could be transferred after a month and then found a several months later. Which (logically) also makes it too transferable to on its own tie the McCann parents to the McCann kid's murder.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thinking about it logically though, for the dogs' marks as presented to all be accurate it would presumably mean that the McCanns killed the child, waited long enough for the cadaver scent to transfer to the surroundings, hurriedly hid the body somewhere nearby in a location so excellent that days of intensive searching didn't find it, popped off for dinner, drew attention to her absence, then waited until they were 25 days into one of one of the most high profile missing person searches in history to move the body from its already excellent hiding place to another site so equally excellent that a further decade of said missing person search never found even a trace of it? All while in a foreign country they have little local knowledge of, without leaving hard forensic evidence behind and without any of the CCTV, eye-witnesses, journalists or police around them noticing?

Alternatively, sniffer dogs (who aren't exactly infallible, whose evidence is inadmissible in court without forensic confirmation in many jurisdictions and who can be misled by even excellent handlers) searching for indicators of forensic evidence among a mix of personal and rental property might not have been entirely accurate? Which (if even some of their marks were wrong or misleading) would point away from the parents once more. Also, I think I'm right in saying only one dog marked the boot of the car, the other marked elsewhere.

Whatever the unknowns of this case, I would be very sure the McCann parents weren't wandering around with Madeline McCann's dead body in the back of their rental car nearly a month into a global manhunt in which they were under the full glare of police suspicion and global media scrutiny. In which case any material detected was (logically) the sort of thing that could be transferred after a month and then found a several months later. Which (logically) also makes it too transferable to on its own tie the McCann parents to the McCann kid's murder.
Yep. Great logic a lot are missing.

Dogs like you speak aren't infallible. And they can't speak! So cannot be certain on that.

And the massive gap between disappearance and hiring the car is a huge flaw too.
Maybe the first dog sniff (death smell) was correct and the hire car (which was dna wasn't it) wasn't.

A baffling case all in.

I'll always think it was some opportunist, but someone who was looking to commit such a crime at some stage and had an exit plan scripted.
Most likely one of the now long dead suspects.
Im sure there was some guy who was in contact with such a character who mentioned his bid to abduct.but can't remember too much as the guy was killed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
In all honesty i think if my 5 year old daughter disappeared off the face of the earth, never to be seen again i would go insane aswell. It would be unimaginable suffering.
Oh definitely, I think it's the worst possible scenario any parent could imagine. Maybe she's just not a very emotional person, perhaps hides it for the camera.

I really hope they aren't involved in some way, but a lot of their story + the facts found in the room and the car, seem awfully suspicious.

It's a huge coincidence that the smell of death was found in their hotel room, their hire car AND on Madeleine's favourite cuddle toy. These dogs don't make mistakes.

How it got to that point is difficult to know.

arnie_ni

Stumbled across this conspiracy theory. Have no idea how much is true

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Girlfriend was watching it and I fell asleep. Was so boring.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Probably what happened in the hotel bar, they all got bored and had a little nap, next thing you know international search afoot.

Patchbeard

Same. I really hope she wants to watch game of thrones and not anymore of this tonight :nono:

To be honest, I thought the parents seemed absolutely distraught in the immediate aftermath, rather than being the unemotional weirdos that a lot seem to think they are.

Josep Dowling

In fairness I got to my conclusion without finishing the series. Probably jumped the gun a bit.

AkaAkuma

I've watched most of the documentary and have realised they probably had nothing to do with it, but were negligent. It's worth watching for that reason alone... It pieces everything together rather than leaving you with fractured opinions from different source across the web.

As for hiding a body in a freezer for 25 days. For that to happen they would need help to locate one. So why then would they move the body in their own hire car, surely the people helping could provide a less conspicuous car. And also why was a suspected accomplish never found... Or maybe they just found an unattended freezer by chance.

caid

People using the house previously might have murdered someone in the spots the dogs marked too.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Just finished this.

Incredible to think it took 6 years for them to reveal a pedo was loose in the area during that time. I mean there were multiple reports of a predator entering tourists apartments and getting into bed with children between in the of 6-10 it’s by far the most obvious explanation of what happened in my opinion.

Ground floor apartment just off the main road with a open front door and accessible window to the kids room, I bet he couldn’t believe his look.

You could blame the parents for leaving the kids alone and I bet they’ve regretted that decision every day for the past 12 years but they had feck all to do with the disappearance. The police were incredibly bad to the point of neglecting the case. It was the biggest story in world news with hundreds of journalists and paparazzi outside the McCanns residence yet they’re main theory was Madeline‘s dead corpse was moved in a van they rented 25 days after she disappeared? what a joke.
Pretty much this. I'm convinced someone entered the apartment and took her. Whether she's buried somwhere in the area or she was taken out of Portugal is anyone's guess.
There was talk about that exact apartment being watched in the days before she vanished.

Himannv

Such an interesting case, but one that can provide nothing but frustration as we'll simply never know.

While it's very easy to say you'd never leave your kids for more than however long, I think people underestimate how close the restaurant was to the room. Plus there were hourly checks. These checks were made on rotation by the group, so this surely rules out any idea that Madeline was dead "days" before the missing date (one theory).

The evidence of "blood" and smell of "death" in the room from the Police dogs is interesting, as is the dna match in the hire car. Unexplained situations.
I think the idea was that they were all in on it. All 7 of those people could have known she was dead and they all played along for some reason to fool the police. Would have been pretty simple if so.

Having said that, I do think this was actually an abduction and some sick freak kidnapped this girl (and unfortunately probably abused and killed her and dumped her body somewhere).

Revaulx

I think the idea was that they were all in on it. All 7 of those people could have known she was dead and they all played along for some reason to fool the police. Would have been pretty simple if so.

Having said that, I do think this was actually an abduction and some sick freak kidnapped this girl (and unfortunately probably abused and killed her and dumped her body somewhere).
I just can’t believe the McCanns could inspire such devotion and loyalty from a group of people unless they were all somehow complicit, which seems ludicrously far-fetched.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Same here. Gave the second episode a go last night but turned it off once I realized there would be no new material or any groundbreaking new theories/evidence.

Interesting case though and hard to know for sure what happened. I think she would've been well out of the surrounding area by the time the manhunt got underway, so she wasn't just killed and dumped somewhere. Either shipped off or taken far away from Praia Da Luz is my guess, if I'm not mistaken the Portugese police didn't have immediate road blocks either.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The most likely outcome is she has been trafficked but due to her case being so famous she is unfortunately probably not alive anymore. :(
I fear this would be the outcome. I'm not sure how big this story was in parts of Eastern Europe though, Maddie could pass in those countries as a native but her eye is distinctive so even if you changed her hair colour and style, plus the bodily changes that would have taken place over 12 years she would still have that distinctive eye. If the story was not very big or has been forgotten in Eastern Europe then I think she could be alive there, they aren't typically visited by British tourists and there are plenty of places to keep a low profile.

My theory is flawed because if Maddie was taken to Eastern Europe, why not take a child from much closer? It would have been quite difficult and risky to move her across Europe.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I fear this would be the outcome. I'm not sure how big this story was in parts of Eastern Europe though, Maddie could pass in those countries as a native but her eye is distinctive so even if you changed her hair colour and style, plus the bodily changes that would have taken place over 12 years she would still have that distinctive eye. If the story was not very big or has been forgotten in Eastern Europe then I think she could be alive there, they aren't typically visited by British tourists and there are plenty of places to keep a low profile.

My theory is flawed because if Maddie was taken to Eastern Europe, why not take a child from much closer? It would have been quite difficult and risky to move her across Europe.
A little blonde english girl would be quite valuable according to the many films I've watched.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
But there are plenty of blonde children in Eastern Europe so what makes English girls that much more valuable?
Everyone hates the English? English girls are more difficult to obtain because of the status of the country? I don't know really, I was initially being flippant.

Thisistheone

Never actually followed this case much back in the day so watching the doc now I'm amazed at the neglect of the parents. They all had very young kids and basically shipped them off all day to kids club and then left them alone in the apartment every night while they went off to that bar. Maddie & the other kids were even crying the night before but still they left them alone. Having a 3 year old daughter myself, that just shocked me.

At a guess I think Madeleine was kidnapped by a gang & taken abroad. In 90 minutes she could have been driven to the Spanish border or put on a boat and taken to Morocco hours before police suspected Maddie had been abducted. A gang would observe the McCann's leaving their kids alone every night and it would be fairly easy to park a car at the road by their apartment, get in and out within a minute and drive away.