The disrespect of Nemanja Matic

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Oh Carrick I would say he'd be absolutely perfect for this team but that would suggest he wasn't perfect for the sides he did play in

What a player :(

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
More like a disrespect for Carrick thread at times!

I like Matic. Can see the logic behind extending his stay, hopefully Garner will slowly replace him.
This! The amount of people who overhyping Matic's passing ability, positioning skills & his reading the game with additional some posters actually start to compare him to Carrick is crazy. People need to watch Carrick again and see what a true proper holding midfielder is with very good passing ability, positioning skills & reading the game.

Matic has done well this 2nd half of the season but let's not trying to go over the top when giving him credit like he's anywhere close to Carrick.

Stacks

In the right conditions he's a superb player, but those conditions feel increasingly rare in the premier league.

When we're massively on top, and his role is primarily providing an outlet for the attack to quickly recirculate possession, he's genuinely fantastic. Really underrated passer, particularly between the lines. But only if he's given all the time in the world.

Problem is that he's slow, not actually a defensive player and when we're not controlling possession he's not great.

Just because he plays where Carrick played, doesn't mean he's that similar. Carrick for me was one of the very best in the game at reading play, positioning and dropping into the back 4 when needed. Matic is simply a more attacking player, he's never been a defensive shield and really isn't very good at it. He frequently loses midfielders running past him, doesn't provide a screen on the edge of our box and despite his height isn't particularly good at defending aerial threats in our box.

Still feel this is our most crucial upgrade: if we could get a truly defensive player to hold that base, we'd get a lot more from Pogba and Fernandes.
Spot on
That pass he made to Rashford against Leicester was world class. He took the ball from defence and strolled past the midfield and cut open the defense and Rashford was thru.
I have slated him a lot in the past. I have to say that I am happy to be wrong.
If Matic plays well, United play well. I still think our team would be better if we replace Pogba and get a better combination to play with Bruno and Matic.
What the hell??? I've heard it all.

lex talionis

The underrating of Matic on the Caf is borderline criminal, but what can't be denied is that Matic can't perform at a top level for 35-45 matches next season. We need to acquire or develop a successor to Matic now. Fred and McTominay are not the answer for DM.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The underrating of Matic on the Caf is borderline criminal, but what can't be denied is that Matic can't perform at a top level for 35-45 matches next season. We need to acquire or develop a successor to Matic now. Fred and McTominay are not the answer for DM.
Agreed

USREDEVIL

Has had 2 good spells at United... Fall 2017 and post-Covid break 2020. Was subpar in the 2+ years in between.
He was a classy player, smart and good ball control. He's on the decline. He will have a good spell here and there but otherwise i think we need to get a proper DM or something like that. Matic can be a great sub though that's for sure.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
He was a classy player, smart and good ball control. He's on the decline. He will have a good spell here and there but otherwise i think we need to get a proper DM or something like that. Matic can be a great sub though that's for sure.
Class is permanent. He has been consistent since he arrived. Always has space around him, always intelligent. A leader. Has benefitted from the wingback style and mastered the long hooked pass over the oppo full back. Also benefitted from the arrival of other leaders, esp. Maguire and Bruno.

He’s had a terrific season. Of course at his age there will be questions as to how long he can go on, but thankfully little sign of decline; definitely another season In those legs. I must say the very short break this summer is tough on players, come on MUFC open the purse strings and get In some cover.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Matic has certainly looked far better this year, but he is still apt to mistakes, against Leicester he failed to track a runner on our left side, and they got round the back, he was also slow to pick up a Leicester player on the edge of our box who had time to pick his spot and sidefooted a very good chance just wide, with De Gea scrambling. But on the plus side, he did intercept some passes, won the ball a few times, and had several great passes, but I'm not happy with him and Pogba in a midfield two, we seem to allow other teams to have the ball in central midfield between centre circle and our box, which puts pressure on our back four. In certain matches I think Matic would be ideal next season, but I would rotate him with Fred/McTominay. Having Pogba alongside him doesn't work for me. I think the club are looking at Garner to take over from Matic eventually, but, if as expected, Garner goes on loan next season, he will be needed, and also the following season when Garner (or Levitt or Galbraith) will gradually be introduced to the team.

PieCrust

I don't think that's true. I would say he's being overrated more than under right now. Matic is just ok and certainly an area that needs improvement both in the starting XI and for depth. There are of course posters with an irrational hatred of him, but you can say that for any player really. I think once you recognize who those posters are and just ignore them, you begin to see that both the critiques and praise for Matic both have merit.

I rated Matic much more at the time of his transfer and he did start well. He's still never been as good at United as he was at Chelsea. Then he had a terrible run of form where he really deserved the criticism he received, and just like the rest of the players, had a great start when the league came back and then performances dropped off a cliff for the last few matches.

Denis' cuff

This! The amount of people who overhyping Matic's passing ability, positioning skills & his reading the game with additional some posters actually start to compare him to Carrick is crazy. People need to watch Carrick again and see what a true proper holding midfielder is with very good passing ability, positioning skills & reading the game.

Matic has done well this 2nd half of the season but let's not trying to go over the top when giving him credit like he's anywhere close to Carrick.
Aye, Matic is an excellent dm but he isn’t anywhere near Carrick for passing. Carrick knew where he was passing before he received the ball - superb one-touch player. Matic dawdles on the ball, slows the game down without any clue. With his limitations, he should just feed Poggers or the wide players and stick to the job he’s very good at.

Foxbatt

Neither is Carrick for the passing of Scholes. This is not a comparison of our former midfield players.
This is on what we have now. Pogba is a world cup winner but I still don't think he is the best for United.
It's a team game and to me Matic on this form is more important than Pogba on his current form. I don't think Pogba is the best option for United now. We need a different kind of a player to replace him. A world class player who can fit into the system Ole wants to play.

lex talionis

I don't think that's true. I would say he's being overrated more than under right now. Matic is just ok and certainly an area that needs improvement both in the starting XI and for depth. There are of course posters with an irrational hatred of him, but you can say that for any player really. I think once you recognize who those posters are and just ignore them, you begin to see that both the critiques and praise for Matic both have merit.

I rated Matic much more at the time of his transfer and he did start well. He's still never been as good at United as he was at Chelsea. Then he had a terrible run of form where he really deserved the criticism he received, and just like the rest of the players, had a great start when the league came back and then performances dropped off a cliff for the last few matches.
I agree with all those points other than the claim that Matic is just ok. DM is a position we need to strengthen, but when Matic has the rest he needs due to his age he’s much better than just ok. But when he’s overworked he’s barely ok.

Ole decided that for the run in for top four he would go with almost same starting XI all the way. Matic was brilliant until the last few games. The evidence is overwhelming that we need to bring in a proper DM to supplement and soon replace Matic, but the job he did for us this season when we needed it most was fantastic.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Has had 2 good spells at United... Fall 2017 and post-Covid break 2020. Was subpar in the 2+ years in between.
He also had a good patch when Ole first took over. He was also quite good for a while before the Covid lockdown.

What we've seen from him for a few years is that he is quite capable of playing very well, but he can't maintain it.

He was great for Chelsea for about two years. Then struggled for 12 months.
He joined us and was great for half a season. Then struggled for 12 months.
He was great for a month or two after Ole first took over. Then struggled for about 8 months.
After losing his first team spot for a while (form and injury), he came back in and was good for 2 months. Then had lockdown, came back and was good for another month. Signs of him starting to struggle again towards the end of the season.

The big question is whether his inconsistency is mental - ie. once he's cemented his spot he loses focus and drive, or whether it's physical (or mental) tiredness since when he's in the team he basically plays 90 minutes every single match in every competition.

Foxbatt

We need to replace him and there is no doubt about it. But replacing him with McTominay is not the answer.
We need someone better than Matic.

PieCrust

I agree with all those points other than the claim that Matic is just ok. DM is a position we need to strengthen, but when Matic has the rest he needs due to his age he’s much better than just ok. But when he’s overworked he’s barely ok.

Ole decided that for the run in for top four he would go with almost same starting XI all the way. Matic was brilliant until the last few games. The evidence is overwhelming that we need to bring in a proper DM to supplement and soon replace Matic, but the job he did for us this season when we needed it most was fantastic.
So overall, he's just ok.

Matic seems like an ideal candidate to be a rotational player. I would disagree that he's really ever been brilliant over an entire match. He does have his moments, but hardly deserves praise for a full 90' in most cases.

At this point in his career, Matic is a player with a wealth of experience to be shared as a mentor and still has ability to play in matches as long as he's not over worked. Matic is the definition of "just ok" for a club such as Manchester United.

lex talionis

So overall, he's just ok.

Matic seems like an ideal candidate to be a rotational player. I would disagree that he's really ever been brilliant over an entire match. He does have his moments, but hardly deserves praise for a full 90' in most cases.

At this point in his career, Matic is a player with a wealth of experience to be shared as a mentor and still has ability to play in matches as long as he's not over worked. Matic is the definition of "just ok" for a club such as Manchester United.
Nope. Overall, he's just fantastic. But don't expect him to be able to maintain fantastic form twice a week for more than a month or two. The problem we need to solve is who to replace Matic with when he's given all he can give and he's just about to revert to being just ok.

As for the 90 minutes thesis, I'll give you that. But exactly who on squad has ever been brilliant for 90 minutes this season? Martial during the hat trick match for sure, Bruno four or five times, Maguire once or twice, Greenwood once or twice...that's about it. Being fantastic for an entire 90 minutes is a very high bar that few United players have ever met in the last several years.

I would be completely on board with bringing in a world class DM to replace Matic but I just don't know who would be realistic within the budget that we're going to have this summer. I'm not opposed to Declan Rice as one for the future but I've never seen anything in his game that screams class. And it seems pretty clear that we're developing Garner for the future, but there's no chance he'll be ready for regular first team action at OT for 2 or maybe 3 seasons. So perhaps in the end we muddle along with Matic, Fred and McTominay while we spend a massive sum on Sancho and an attacking midfielder to cover for Bruno. We definitely need to have a plan for the 20-25 matches that Matic will not be able to compete in, so that he can perform at a high level in the matches that he can compete it.