Television The effect of covid 19 on film and TV

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Have we truly started seeing the effect of covid 19 on film and TV?

How much of an effect will it even have?

While some productions may have been scaled back or delayed, how has the virus affected the interaction between actors?

Will we see characters wearing facemasks to reflect reality?

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
Production now is a lot different than what it looked like back in January. Depending on size of set, they’re broken down into zones and each crew person gets a wrist band that represents what zones they can go to. Only people who have to be on set can be on set, the rest stay out in their zones. There’s also always at least one COVID compliance officer, well probably several on a large scale production, who’s responsible for making sure everyone is following production safety guidelines and sometimes is responsible for setting up rapid testing on set.

Movie shoots are typically 12hr days 6 days a week so you don’t have a whole lot of time to go out, but I think if you’re on a show or movie shoot you’re pretty much agreeing to just go to work, store and home.

Talent wise, they wear masks up until it’s time to roll and do final hair/makeup touches. As they can’t always be 6ft apart in a scene they definitely get tested regularly.

From what I’ve read and experienced, film/tv/commercial sets have been relatively safe. I know of one 1st Assistant Director who passed away after getting covid from a set, but on the whole there have been few incidents relatively speaking. I think there’s been at least one movie that shut down production because of positive test on set.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Interesting to see films and series about it.

Edit - for those interested that episode is on now Netflix now.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

While some productions may have been scaled back or delayed, how has the virus affected the interaction between actors?

Saw an ad for some awful-looking American courtroom drama where all characters were wearing face masks and perspex all over the courtroom.

All Rise?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
they can feck right off, nobody has been that happy.
The characters in the show in general tend to be pretty happy, but if you watch the episode some of the characters take lock down very hard

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Must be. There's been nothing good out at the cinema since March and even when things opened, there was very little choice (Tenet is the only thing that springs to mind).

I like to frequent the Phoenix here in Leicester and the Broadway in Notts (both great) but the last thing I wanted to watch was pre-Covid - that Terrance Malick film I forget the name of.

Interesting to see films and series about it.

Awful awful awful. Cinema should be about about bringing you to a different world, whether through bonafide entertainment or thoughtful introspection.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That’s what I’m curious about. Well, not so much films about the pandemic but when will it start being acknowledged in minor details. Like, when will the handshake disappear from tv screens? Because it sure as shit isn’t coming back in real life any time soon.
Pretty much every TV or film production now I've seen/read about are doing social distancing to the letter (atleast when the camera's are on). The only programme I've heard about that ain't bothering are Home and Away in Australia.

Don't know if the pandemic will be referenced a lot but will you certainly see social distancing measure's which will stand out like a sore thumb especially when characters are couples/live together!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think Line of Duty just finished filming. They basically stayed away from their families the whole time.

Saw an advert for an awful looking Michael McIntrye show earlier which seems to have been created with social distancing in mind. Everyone sitting around some big wheel.

CallyRed

Soaps obviously have adapted and I think in Coronation St they have done scenes with characters wearing face masks.

hungrywing

As for 'covid-themed' movies there are several in the pipeline, the highest profile of which is probably this one.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/doug-l...pt-heist-film-anne-hathaway-stars-1234573982/

b82REZ

Cinema was already on its last legs. The impact of Covid has just accelerated the process.

While I'm sure there'll be some cinemas to show films on a big screen more and more companies will use streaming services to premier their features.