The EL final loss: a measured response

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Funny stat, the average age of a Superbowl winner as head coach is the same than the average age of a PL winner, 50 years old. One of the theories that I have heard about why younger managers are more successful is that winning even if you are talented requires a level of dedication that only a young-ish person can provide.
Another theory could be in these long established sports it requires some sort of tactical innovation or new idea to get to the top which younger coaches might provide more readily. Also 50 is not too young if you assume they usually started their coaching career in their 30s. It'd mean about 15-20 years in their coaching career is the peak. There you go Ole fans, statistically he's just about to peak.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Another theory could be in these long established sports it requires some sort of tactical innovation or new idea to get to the top which younger coaches might provide more readily. Also 50 is not too young if you assume they usually started their coaching career in their 30s. It'd mean about 15-20 years in their coaching career is the peak. There you go Ole fans, statistically he's just about to peak.
That's true and I have seen it mentioned. The idea that future managers that are currently learning the management side of the game use current top managers as examples and end up knowing them inside-out. And yes 50 isn't too young but it's generally the first half of managers careers since you are most likely to start in your late 30s. Nagelsmann is going to be an interesting case study since he has started extremely young, though joining Bayern will most likely see him win very soon.

Denis79

Okay.
The Brighton match was the last time they lost. Let's go back to December when West Brom drew with City(like we drew with Villa Real) the league wasn't decided then.
If the league had been decided that was not the point. The point was that anybody can get a result against anybody.

We lost the league back in the day because we could beat West Ham on the last day of the season(under SAF). Anybody can lose in a one off match regardless of the quality of the teams involved or the quality of the manager.
We lost several very important matches this season, City have not, that's why they got to 2 finals and won the League. We had it all in our hands in the CL group stage and bottled it, We lost the EL final to an inferior team, we were infront of City in the league and lost it by 12 points.

We have had an ok season, no more no less. Ole deserves to stay on for another year but our loss against Villareal wasn't just one of those days, it's a pattern that we aren't as good as many seem to think we are.

Fully Fledged

We lost several very important matches this season, City have not, that's why they got to 2 finals and won the League. We had it all in our hands in the CL group stage and bottled it, We lost the EL final to an inferior team, we were infront of City in the league and lost it by 12 points.

We have had an ok season, no more no less. Ole deserves to stay on for another year but our loss against Villareal wasn't just one of those days, it's a pattern that we aren't as good as many seem to think we are.
Again
I am not happy with were we are, the Glazers have truly shafted us but I would take this season against any Jose season.

RUCK4444

So who's to blame?
Why does it have to be one single reason? Why do we need a scapegoat? We simply lost an even game against a decent opponent who were playing for their life(in this case: CL football) and defending their goal with all they got. We were not outplayed. We weren't even the worst team. And we lost after 22 penalties.

This basically. The trophy would have meant more for the team and Ole than if would for us fans, if we are honest.

The single biggest annoyance with the loss, for me, was the fact it would be blown out of all proportion and ultimately finishes a relatively positive season on a poor note, which is then used as the brush to tar the whole season with.

Of course I would have liked a trophy but more so to help galvanise the team and help Ole buy time to continue what I see as good progress overall for the team.

Iron

Europa league final, minor trophy? We cannot win the title against city players and coach, we overachieved this season with 2th place. We cannot win the champions league, we either struggle to qualify for it or get past the groupe stages, we might beat a top club in the ko but not 4 in a row. League cup, city has won it 4-5 times in a row and to win fa cup again we must beat great teams, to many that can eliminate us. So what trophy remains?

Wilt

Personally I’m still fuming Utd got themselves into the EL, however....

We could hardly have wished for a more easy opponent, yet we absolutely bottled it due to a combination of half arsed players and awful team management.

The Oracle

Personally I’m still fuming Utd got themselves into the EL, however....

We could hardly have wished for a more easy opponent, yet we absolutely bottled it due to a combination of half arsed players and awful team management.
This.

Idxomer

They played an exceedingly negative game. Even shit teams are hard to beat when they play 11 behind the ball, and Emery obviously knows what he's doing organising his team to do so. Really annoying for us but ultimately we had to break them and we didn't
Every manager seems to know how to organize his team against United to play behind the ball hence almost every result in the league this season was undecided till the end of the game.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There wasn't even that much to analyse about the game compared to so many others. The better side dominated the game, the weaker side defended very well and managed to get a result. It happens all the time. We win that match 8 times out of ten. This was one of the two unfortunately.

Ole picked the right team as a manager who expected to have most of the ball. Emery picked the right team as a manager who didn't. There was no tactical dominance on show. Nobody was shown up. The game played out exactly as it should have, but we weren't at our best (few teams ever are in a final) and we couldn't put them away.

The measured response would be disappointment instead of rage. Support for a team who have clearly given everything all season instead of pitchforks and scapegoating. An acceptance of a season thats been entertaining and progressive even if it was ultimately fruitless. Why are these reactions beyond so many on here? Why are people so determined to not enjoy sport?

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
There wasn't even that much to analyse about the game compared to so many others. The better side dominated the game, the weaker side defended very well and managed to get a result. It happens all the time. We win that match 8 times out of ten. This was one of the two unfortunately.

Ole picked the right team as a manager who expected to have most of the ball. Emery picked the right team as a manager who didn't. There was no tactical dominance on show. Nobody was shown up. The game played out exactly as it should have, but we weren't at our best (few teams ever are in a final) and we couldn't put them away.

The measured response would be disappointment instead of rage. Support for a team who have clearly given everything all season instead of pitchforks and scapegoating. An acceptance of a season thats been entertaining and progressive even if it was ultimately fruitless. Why are these reactions beyond so many on here? Why are people so determined to not enjoy sport?
Why is supporting losing, accepting losing and enjoying losing beyond so many on here?

Hmmm. Yes everybody, half glass full and all that. Sleep.zzzzzzz

Last edited:

Fahad Jawaid

The measured response would be to consider after how many semi finals and final losses would it become acceptable that our coach is a bottler and his lack of game management is not up to scratch.

During the season Chelsea sacked Frank, Juve has sacked Pirlo and PSG has also sacked their manager to bring in Pochettino (Madrid also kind of sacked Zidane). So the point I am trying to make is, all big clubs despite getting CPL football realized that these clubs should be winning trophies each season and just finishing in the top 4 is not enough.

Whereas look at Utd fans and board they are just happy getting top 2, despite the fact that our competitors had the worst seasons (Chelsea and Liverpool), we even got to first place but bottled it and there never seemed to be a belief that we could compete for the title within the team or the manager.

In the Fa-Cup, he had that stupid press conference where he said trophies is not the barometer for success or something just before the Fa-Cup Quater final and ended up benching Bruno (just before the international break i may add) and bowing out of that competition as well.

Lastly in the Europa League final, the game management was the worst I have seen from any manager, from not making obvious changes (Rashford and DDG) to not making team changes and actually wasting time and playing for penalties against an opponent who it seemed were playing for penalties from the start was diabolical management.

I really hope the board for once actually back him and we manage to sign the likes of Sancho, Kounde and Rice. Because there would not be a single excuse left for Ole to go on and get trophies. If he fails to do that even after signing these players, I hope the board grows some balls and get rid of him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
As an onlooker, rather than a United supporter, and therefore with a dispassionate take on the matter, I’m surprised that you expect any different.
What you get out of Ole is what you’d reasonably expect to get from a manager lacking high level experience, he’s good and with the resources of the biggest club in England he’s got you to 2nd place in the PL and a runner up spot in the Europa, but he’s not the finished article and he will polish his act.
There are many positives. He’s improved season upon season, he’s getting more out of your squad than he did when he first arrived and IMO he’ll be better again next season.
Regards losing to Villarreal; he’ll have learnt a lot from that and if you played them again tomorrow then he’d use that knowledge and beat them, as you would beat them every week if you played them every week for the next decade.
They’re crap compared to United on every level except management experience, their manager had been there before and won it before whereas Ole was on work experience.
I think that you should put more trust in Ole, he’s shown that he can learn from his lessons. In fact, as a City supporter, I can vouch in all honesty that the results of recent derbys show that he can have the measure of Pep on occasion.
I agree with some of this but not on the bit where you think we'd beta Villareal if we played them again tomorrow: we failed against lots of teams who defended like them during the season: Sheffield Utd, WBA, Fulham and on the truly awful night in Istanbul. I hope you're right about Ole being able to polish his act, but I wouldn't put more than a pound on it...

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
People love it when Messi scores against teams like Villarreal or worse but when we play them the team is suddenly a bunch of shit that we should walk over.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Provide much protection? From what exactly for god sake! We absolutely dominated them with 60% possession approx.

Did they need protecting from themselves?

Christ on a cracker!

Any other pearls of wisdom you want to part with today?

Laughing at Pogba's performance? Goes to show how much you understand about the game.

100 Touches (most for MF last night)
85% Passing accuracy
8 Of 11 long balls completed
4 Of 5 Aerial duels won
1 Clearance
5 Interceptions
1 key pass

Shows he was involved heavily in terms of attack and defence... yes, lets have a laugh.
Some of the CAF members are unreasonably negative when it comes to Paul Pogba. They still seem to hate him for leaving the club back in the day.

Either that or they have no knowledge of what they are watching and the only good players are ones that score goals for us.

I can vouch for the fact that even a performance like Kante's in this UCL final wouldn't be appreciated by them and they would vote for Kai Havertz as their Man of the Match.

Just triggers me for some reason when people fail to notice contributions made by non goal scorers. Wonder if they ever appreciated Carrick or even Scholes for that matter.