The elephant in the room….. could this club face a relegation battle in the 22/23 season?

Rangnick certainly didn't do well, but he also wasn't the 'ABSOLUTE WORST EVER' that a lot of people seem to make out.
He was absolute garbage, mate. Doing better than Ole means nothing - they were both shite, and Rangnick was brought in to fix the mess. He did nothing, showed literally nothing as a coach that suggested he could get a tune out of the players, and tanked the atmosphere at the club even further with his self-serving bollocks and continual burying of the players. Looked every inch a coach that had done virtually no coaching in a decade and had zero man management skills.

The only reason he's not the worst United manager I've ever seen is that we were only saddled with him for six months while 2018 meltdown Mourinho got nearly a full year (edit: let's make that second-worst, I'm often pretty successful at pretending Moyes never happened these days...)

Rangnick's '10 new signings' comment that is always bought up was over the course of a couple of years (for some reason people seem to make out he wanted it all at once), and that's pretty much exactly what we're going to do considering we made five for this season and everyone still says we need at least one striker, a couple of midfielders, a goalkeeper and perhaps a rightback and centreback.
Counting Malacia as the sort of signing Rangnick desperately needed is extremely generous - definition of a backup player, replacing Telles, and not a particularly good one anyway. It's actually a good example of the knee-jerker logic - Shaw is one of their favourite targets as an example of a "proven failure" who's thrown four different managers under the bus in his time here, and this new kid who was "worthy of the shirt" would show him the door after a couple of good early games.

So that's four new first-XI signings, and as I said in my last post, seven of the same players Rangnick and his most rabid defenders on here spent six months tearing apart, and we've already produced what is likely to be this club's second-best points tally of the ten post-Ferguson years.

We absolutely need more signings to go from third place to competing with Man City and peak Liverpool for titles. That wasn't Rangnick's remit last season - top four was well within reach when he was appointed, and he did such an incredible job chasing it that the knee-jerk jokers on here started making topics like this one :lol:

Last edited:

ScholesyTheWise

While relegation wasn't likely,
I think posters who thought we'd finish around 10th place weren't talking out of their asses at the time.
It wasn't a safe bet at the time, that we'll sign someone of the ilk of Casemiro - with De Jong staying at Barca -

And if you think of ETH having to make do with Eriksen, Mct, and Fred as his main men...
deary me.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
To the people who are now having a good laugh and acting all clever, let me remind you that the start of the season was THAT bad, and nobody could have predicted that we'd be where we are today.

If you did predict that, why didn't you take out a bet and why aren't you a millionaire today?
I predicted it. I said we’d get top 4 and a trophy.

Doesn’t make me a genius. I just didn’t get hysterical after two matches.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I did think we were a Casemiro signing away from a fight for Europa, never hysterical enough (in a non-joking way) to think it would be worse than that.

I'd argue the difference between us and Liverpool is Casemiro.

Herman Toothrot

To the people who are now having a good laugh and acting all clever, let me remind you that the start of the season was THAT bad, and nobody could have predicted that we'd be where we are today.

If you did predict that, why didn't you take out a bet and why aren't you a millionaire today?
Love the energy of this post. I wonder how much you would have had to put on to get back millions on betting United not getting relegated with 36 games to go. We must of been odds on to go down, right?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
While relegation wasn't likely,
I think posters who thought we'd finish around 10th place weren't talking out of their asses at the time.
It wasn't a safe bet at the time, that we'll sign someone of the ilk of Casemiro - with De Jong staying at Barca -

And if you think of ETH having to make do with Eriksen, Mct, and Fred as his main men...
deary me.
I'd say that is fair

Real_Knut

Predicting relegation was hysterical at the time and is rightly laughed at now. However, we did look horrible and could easily have ended up a way down the table. Getting in Casemiro was important but I'd argue ETH's work on the team was even more important. It goes to show what kind of impact he has had and should go into any evaluation of his season at United.

On Rangnick at United: yes, he got more points per game than Ole did (1.4) as a whole last season. However, if we compare the games Ole was in charge (first 12 league games) with Rangnick's last 12, the story is different. Rangnick got us 12 points in the last 12 games - 1 per game! That is actually close to relegation form and gives more perspective on how he took the team from bad to worse. Also, seeing ETH in this light gives some more indication that he has done very well to get us to where we are.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

If people had stuck a tenner on us not being relegated they’d have won millions? Who the feck is your bookie?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
To be fair to the OP, this thread was made before we signed Casemiro. Had we not signed him, who knows how bad it could have been.
We won our next 4 league games without Casemiro starting including wins over Liverpool and Arsenal. He also missed 7/30 league games after the City defeat through suspension - we took 13 points in those games. So that’s 25 points from the 12 league games Casemiro didn’t start following the creation of this thread. That isn’t relegation form - that’s top 4 form. So I think we do know that we weren’t getting relegated even if we didn’t sign Casemiro.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

You don't have to be clever to call this a dumb thread, relegation and all that nonsense is the second worst thread on caf, first is "we won't win championship with 2018-19 or 2019-20 squad".

Flying high

We won our next 4 league games without Casemiro starting including wins over Liverpool and Arsenal. He also missed 7/30 league games after the City defeat through suspension - we took 13 points in those games. So that’s 25 points from the 12 league games Casemiro didn’t start following the creation of this thread. That isn’t relegation form - that’s top 4 form. So I think we do know that we weren’t getting relegated even if we didn’t sign Casemiro.
He, nor the later signing of Antony, made no difference, and the squad could not possibly have fallen back into the rut it found itself in last year. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
If anything this thread should be used as testament to just how good a job Ten Haag has done. Mid to lower table wouldn't have been out of the question given how we finished last season and started this one.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Although this thread is in hindsight now hilarious I will gladly admit that after the first two games I seriously worried that ETH may pull a Frank de Boer at Chrystal Palace.

Crashoutcassius

Yet again I have to point out that we were actually worse under Ole last season, despite him having the squad that he himself built and had spent a couple of years training. Ralf came in to that dressing room that was already completely broken, lost Greenwood a couple of weeks later, and still did better than Ole was. ETH also started similarly at the beginning of this season when he was mostly using the same players, and it wasn't until he got more of his own players into the squad that we really picked up. Rangnick's '10 new signings' comment that is always bought up was over the course of a couple of years (for some reason people seem to make out he wanted it all at once), and that's pretty much exactly what we're going to do considering we made five for this season and everyone still says we need at least one striker, a couple of midfielders, a goalkeeper and perhaps a rightback and centreback.

Rangnick certainly didn't do well, but he also wasn't the 'ABSOLUTE WORST EVER' that a lot of people seem to make out.
We were worse or the same under ole for a few games. He had good league finishes, runs to finals and set records in his time at club. It unravelled in his final season. Ralf showed nothing at all with a squad of players that ETH has fired back to 3rd place 9 months later. Ralf was an embarrassment, ole wasn't the man but did some kind of job at least.

He was absolute garbage, mate. Doing better than Ole means nothing - they were both shite, and Rangnick was brought in to fix the mess. He did nothing, showed literally nothing as a coach that suggested he could get a tune out of the players, and tanked the atmosphere at the club even further with his self-serving bollocks and continual burying of the players. Looked every inch a coach that had done virtually no coaching in a decade and had zero man management skills.

The only reason he's not the worst United manager I've ever seen is that we were only saddled with him for six months while 2018 meltdown Mourinho got nearly a full year (edit: let's make that second-worst, I'm often pretty successful at pretending Moyes never happened these days...)
Ragnick took over a poisoned chalice. He was never going to get the respect of our bigger egos knowing it was a short term contract. He never showed he was a good enough coach, but what he did show is that he knew exactly what was wrong with the club and what needed to be done to fix it. That the club decided to take that advice, ignore it, and fire him, suggests they probably screwed him in other ways too. Ole by contrast hadn't got a fecking clue about anything other than letting the players do exactly what they wanted, which worked fine until some of them started wanting different things.

Relegation was never going to happen but it all underlines what a difference it makes to finally have a proper coach in charge of the club, both on and off the pitch.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
He, nor the later signing of Antony, made no difference, and the squad could not possibly have fallen back into the rut it found itself in last year. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Yes. We quite clearly wouldn’t have got relegated if we didn’t sign Casemiro. Are we actually having this discussion? “This thread about us being relegated after two games is justified because we hadn’t signed Casemiro yet” :lol:

Flying high

Yes. We quite clearly wouldn’t have got relegated if we didn’t sign Casemiro. Are we actually having this discussion? “This thread about us being relegated after two games is justified because we hadn’t signed Casemiro yet” :lol:
Blimey. This thread is about us possibly being in a relegation battle(notice the difference?) wasn't totally ridiculous because, as the OP said, we'd been in relegation form and without further signings it was potentially possible that we'd see that form continuing.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
If people had stuck a tenner on us not being relegated they’d have won millions? Who the feck is your bookie?
Don't think that is exactly what he said but does anyone know what the actual odds were of us finishing top 4 after those first 2 games?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

It doesn’t matter if the first two games were 4-0 defeats. Most people should have the perspective amongst that hysteria to know a season is 38 games and that squad was never ever going to be relegated.

wolvored

I didnt think we would be top 4 and in 2 finals after the first 2 games but would have been very surprised to not ended up top 6 at the end of the season.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We have seen this kind of thing go the other way.

Remember the “who else gets 06/07 vibes” thread at the start of last season?

ScholesyTheWise

We have seen this kind of thing go the other way.

Remember the “who else gets 06/07 vibes” thread at the start of last season?
I seem to remember a "We're gonna win the league" thread pop up after we beat Leeds 5-1.
Yeah, no....