The elephant in the room….. could this club face a relegation battle in the 22/23 season?

VivaRonaldo85

27 points in the last 22 PL games from January 1st. What’s that? Bottom 6 form? Not far off relegation form?

Of course people will say, “we’re only two games into the season, stop over reacting.” But I look at this as a long term endemic issue riddled throughout this squad of players.

The lack of first XI quality, the lack of squad depth, the abundance of overhyped/overrated players, the volume of poor signings, and a weak decrepit mentality throughout.

If we wake up on 1st September post transfer window with this squad, or something very similar, are we sleep walking into something more sinister than ‘not finishing in the top 6’?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
This club needs to lose all it’s commercial value so maybe a relegation battle wouldn’t be the worst.

Infra-red

It's unlikely in my view. We are terrible, but we're midtable terrible (ie 8th - 12th). I don't see us getting properly involved in a relegation battle.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
ETH will turn it around, highly doubt we'll be in a relegation scrap

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's really strange how we've gone from a record breaking away side, to not being able to win an away game in 8 matches is it? it's baffling.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It's really strange how we've gone from a record breaking away side, to not being able to win an away game in 8 matches is it? it's baffling.
That was a nonsense the stadiums were empty. Means nothing imo.

avgp_1

When things go really bad, I think we'll go back 5 and play on the counter and get enough points to get top 10-12. So relegation wont happen no, but cant see better than 8th if we make no new signings

Abraxas

I still refuse to think we'll be in any danger. The longer term form is awful, absolutely. But I think at some stage this set of players and this manager behind them have to be better than what is produced by the also rans that will feature in a relegation scrap. It's inconceivable.

Darlington Padgett

I can see us finishing between 8-12 but we're not that bad to be involved in a relegation battle.

Herman Toothrot

I wouldn't be surprised, if it became a possibility, it might even be seen as an opportunity to dig out the Glazer parasite. God knows what a mess like our club would do in that situation. Could be the tumbling of a house of cards, I'd be worried the right person would pick it up again.

Surely this team is not that bad and the manager we all wanted so much so useless. It won't happen, but these fixtures and our fumbling in the market mean it'll probably get worse before it gets better.

OleGunnar20

I don't think so, but we certainly feel closer to that than a title challenge at the moment, unfortunately.

Vapor trail

Yes anyone who doesn't think it's possibility is far too naive. New manager who takes time to implement ideas, players who are mentally fractured, a terrible defence collectively, goalkeeper who doesn't fit the philosophy of the manager, forwards don't contribute enough goals between themselves likewise the midfield. There are too many issues in a multitude of areas. I think the best this United team with consistency and a decent run of form is a 10th place finish. That is the best. There are too many teams in the league that play with more cohesion and unity.

Consider that the team has lost the likes of Greenwood, Pogba, Mata, Lingard and Matic the only real first teamer acquired is Eriksen with league experience and he realistically should be a squad player.

C'est Moi Cantona

Not relagated, but could see us been the Villa of last season, which would be shocking, and surely a watershed moment.

dove

No. But if we fail to make at least a couple impactful signings, I think we will really struggle to even get into 6th.

Swedish_Plumber

Relegation threads shouldn’t be a thing on a United forum.

Call me out as much as you want come May if we’re in a fight for our lives, but it’s just hysterical doom mongering.

Blood Mage

We didn't for one second look like scoring against Brentford and we can't defend to save our lives so it's fecking possible yes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Unless things change this window, yes. The mood is so toxic at the club, the failure in the transfer window is astounding, and I just don't see how things change. Whatever manager is in charge, it won't change. We need to sell a good chunk of players, especially the specific player that the Glazers won't sell, and we need to make signings, yet everyone is rejecting us. A bottom half finish at this point is likely if anything. I honestly don't see who we beat, because nobody can be arsed running.

If we fail to strengthen properly in what remains of this summer, I can see Ten Hag walking (he 100% should), and then we are truly fecked.

Popovic

No but we could definitely finish around 10th place. Didn't Chelsea finish there that one season?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Honestly looking at our next eight or nine fixtures I don't really see where Man Utd will pick up points. We are currently worse than Fulham or Bournemouth. Ten Hag might land on a system that allows us to grind out some results but people should really consider that we might be in a relegation battle this season. We could be in and around the bottom three by the world cup break and then it gets dangerous. We are not too big to fail.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If certain factors lined up then I'd say it's entirely possible.

Lose Vs Liverpool
Fan unrest
No more signings
Continue with the team as it is and ETH sticks with this system
Struggle for next 10 games which look tough
Get hammered by City after the world cup, to set the second part of the season off badly

DavidDeSchmikes

The season Jose got sacked from Chelsea (2nd time), they were flirting with the relegation positions at that moment, right? Or is my memory off?
16th, one point off the relegation zone

Mourinho was fired after losing 2-1 to Leicester.
At the time, it was P16 W4 D3 L9

Anders Agnalt

I don't think so, but I can't see us in the top of the table either... i would like to see us playing with either Ronaldo or Fernandes not both and Eric for Maguire. We need speed next to Matinez.

Woodzy

Considering the teams we were convincingly beaten by, I think it’s a realistic possibility at the moment. Obviously form can change and on paper we should be top half, but based on last seasons form and the opening two games we could be scrapping.

TheReligion

Abusive
If certain factors lined up then I'd say it's entirely possible.

Lose Vs Liverpool
Fan unrest
No more signings
Continue with the team as it is and ETH sticks with this system
Struggle for next 10 games which look tough
Get hammered by City after the world cup, to set the second part of the season off badly
Why do I feel you enjoyed posting that?

Laurencio

The way we're playing we could very well do what Chelsea did in their last season under Mourinho, we're quite shite.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We've took 17 points from our last 17 PL games. We have a worse squad now than we did for the majority of that run.

I didn't appreciate myself how bad this is looking to be honest.

If we're looking desperate now, wait for January if we're staring relegation in the face.

Coops73

If we got relegated the Glazers would be well chuffed because they’ll just pocket the parachute payment.

AndySmith1990

No I don't think so. But I honestly think we could see ourselves in the bottom half of the table for a lengthy period of time and ultimately end up 8-12th