The "England have had it easy" narrative

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
English press is guilty for that. You press is still in ancient past. Only 5 nations play football( including england). Others are second class. Because of them other nations think that you are arrogant.

cyberman

Is it England's fault that Germany never topped their group and didn't get into the half that England did?

Is it England's fault that Spain never beat Russia?

Is it England's fault that Argentina failed to top their group so ended up on the other half of the side?
England didn't top their group either!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think it is debatable, especially as a number of the big teams just haven't performed, so the easy route is based entirely on reputation. Brazil weren't particularly great, Argentina were awful. If we were in a group with Germany and they bombed out in the same way, would it still be an "easy route" because they were shite, or would the perception change because Germany were great 4 years ago?

It's cup football. Pressure is on the big teams, the lesser teams raise their game. Even the lower ranked teams rarely get blown away over the course of the competition. England sides with better players on paper have crashed out of equally "easy" groups and knockouts. England have succeeded, so far, in not being embarrassed like usual.

We have Croatia next, and they've been among the best performers overall, Colombia are a good side but they decided to play like a Tony Pulis side, and we were grouped with one of the favourites but that game turned out to not be decisive so both team rotated. I guess a bit of luck with the latter, but we lost anyway, so it doesn't really matter whether we played a strong or rotated Belgium side.

I think England fans are defensive about it because it seems to be used as means to discredit England's progress through this tournament, which is a little unfair.

SER19

So if England win, they would have beaten a good team, rather than an average team? Croatia definitely won't be referred to as part of an easy route?
No Croatia are a good team and difficult for any team to beat. But compared to what you might expect in a semi final it’s as good as it gets.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
It's funny how the narrative was that England were arrogant for suggesting that Colombia and Sweden were easier games than the other half of the draw yet now those same idiots are saying oh they were easy games after all. I'm loving the bitterness and hate to be honest just because England are doing quite well for a change. Some people just can't bear to see the English happy about anything.
feck em. It's coming home:D

acnumber9

The thing is you sound bitter though. Moaning about England fans, moaning about England’s TV coverage.

If Scotland, Ireland or Wales were doing well in a World Cup the focus would be on them, just like it was when the Welsh were in the semi finals of the Euros. Surely you would expect that before watching the TV coverage?

Your analogy would never happen.
Where have I complained about the fans? Maybe your perception is the problem and not bitterness on the part of everyone who doesn’t support England.

Kag

How would anyone call that arrogant? Stupid, maybe. England clearly ended up in the easier half of the draw. That much is obvious. The Belgian defeat really was a blessing in disguise. Arguably a canny bit of management by Southgate.

Still, you can only beat what’s in front of you and Sweden/Colombia were made to look poorer than they did in their previous matches. So who’s to say England can’t do the same to Croatia/France/Belgium?
Lots of people were calling England supporters arrogant in the England discussion thread on here; pretending to see hype when there was nothing other than it's coming home remarks and suggestions that it would be easier to beat Colombia than it would Brazil. I agree with you, by the way.

Kag

I’d say they could win by not making the whole tournament about England. The first think the commentary teamed talked about after Croatia won their own World Cup quarter final was England. That’s naturally going to grate with people trying to watch a game not involving England who do not support England. The Colombia v Senegal game was 90% about how little England had to fear from either team.
In England the whole tournament is about England/home nations. And so it bloody should be. It's the national broadcaster that we pay to view.

If you're not comfortable with that then there are other free, non-partisan alternatives to view instead. Russia Today, perhaps.

Josep Dowling

Where have I complained about the fans? Maybe your perception is the problem and not bitterness on the part of everyone who doesn’t support England.
:lol: I have no issue with people who don’t support England.

But moaning a UK based TV coverage has an English bias is plan stupid, which is what you did.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
They have had it easy, a WC when you can get to the final without having to face any version of Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Holland, Portugal is a very rare opportunity. It is not a criticism of England to make that point, they have taken advantage of what has fallen for them, played well and every other team on that side of the draw had the same chance to do something special.
This is exactly the sort of weird mental gymnastics I'm on about though. You've named eight teams there that I assume stand out to you as typically the best in the world, yet England have just beaten Sweden very comfortably in the quarter finals, when Sweden have been directly involved in three of those teams not being in the quarter finals. They finished ahead of Holland in the qualifying group, knocked Italy out in the play-offs, and topped Germany's group at the tournament itself. England have now got Croatia in the semi-finals, which is being deemed "easy" when Croatia turned over Argentina 3-0 in the group stage. That's literally enough teams for one half of a quarter final draw being knocked out or beaten by teams that England have faced or have to face.

The logic of "any version of x team" just doesn't stand up, because ultimately, if Germany, Argentina, Italy, Holland, Spain and Portugal aren't actually good enough, other teams are, and in this tournament cycle teams like Sweden and Croatia have stepped up and dispatched typically better opposition. The full extension of that logic sees "Arsenal had a tough draw in the 3rd round of the 2017/18 FA Cup because they came up against two time European Champions, Nottingham Forest" become a valid argument.

Apparently both Colombia and Sweden were better teams than us and were going to knock us out. As soon as we beat them, they become shit and we've been lucky with the route.

The same people who are spouting their easy-route bitterness weren't saying the same to Italians in 2006, when they played Ghana, USA, Czech Republic, Australia and Ukraine before their semi final.

Yes, the bottom half of the draw is easier than the top half, but it's not easy.
This is the crux for me. Apparently England are lucky to not have faced Germany, Argentina, Italy and Holland, but are in fact lucky to be facing the teams that have been better than them.

Portugal had an "easy" run to the 2016 Euros final (they only won one game in 90 minutes!) but that's not discussed. Italy, as you've said, Brazil in 2002 had a group with Turkey, Costa Rica and China, then faced Belgium, England and Turkey on their way to the final, both actually quite celebrated wins.

@Alex99 I love your football posts in general, mate, but I can’t agree with you here. Bringing up Germany and Argentina getting knocked out earlier means diddly squat. England have only beaten Tunisia (via a 93rd minute set-piece), a pub team in Panama and a well-organised-but-ultimately-qualify-bereft Sweden team in order to reach the semi-finals of the World Cup. As tournament runs go at this level, it’s among the most lenient any nation could hope for.

It’s a terrific achievement to reach the World Cup semi-finals - there is no disputing that. However, let’s not get all misty-eyed and make this England run into something it plainly isn’t.
The point I'm making referring to other teams is that the teams that England are apparently fortunate to not be facing, have all fallen short against "lesser sides" to the point where two of them (three if you include Chile) didn't even qualify for the tournament.

In years gone by England aren't beating Tunisia. It's finishing 1-1. They're not turning over Panama 6-1, it's a scrappy 1-0 after a lacklustre performance. They're not beating Colombia on penalties, they're getting knocked out. They're not comfortably dispatching a group topping Sweden, it's a draw or disappointing defeat. But now they have beaten Tunisia, battered Panama, eliminated Colombia and cast aside Sweden, suddenly there's caveats on every single one of them. This hasn't happened for any other team that's had a favourable draw in years gone by, because it's just been accepted.

I'd obviously much rather have England's route than the one traversed by Belgium/France, but everyone's acting like this is the first time there's been a "strong" half of the draw and a "weak" half when it blatantly isn't true, and it's also not the first time where upsets in other games have presented a team with perhaps a more favourable draw in a later round.

I think a slightly separate issue is that I think this England side absolutely would fancy themselves against Holland and Italy. They would fancy themselves against the Argentina, Germany, Spain and Portugal sides of this World Cup. I believe they'd do themselves proud against the likes of Brazil and Uruguay too, and I'm hoping they get the chance to prove themselves against one of Belgium or France next Sunday, rather than the exhibition-esque affair on the Saturday. But because these sides have fallen short against teams that haven't got the historical pedigree, England's draw is now considered easy.

Walters_19_MuFc

You have to play what's in front of you.

The likes of Brazil, Germany, France, Belgium, Spain and co. have all struggled against the so called lesser teams. Germany had an easy group on paper and came last. There's no easy games.

Fact is, whether people like it or not, we're in the semi finals because we deserve to be there. Hopefully we can go on to win it.

Mister_Stubbs

Who cares, let’s just enjoy the fact it’s coming home and ignore everyone else.

Treble

So many words for such a poor point. It's obvious that the route to the semi final has been relatively easy.

Mister_Stubbs

Does anyone on this forum think Croatia are an average team that England should beat comfortably?
I’d say an above average team yes. They have looked average their last two games and apart from the midfield, we are Man for man better than them on paper.. which of course means sod all but I’m confident if we play a fast paced game they won’t be able to handle us.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Well, it's true. England played against teams that you would expect them to beat. I don't think England play a lot better compared to last few competitions (maybe except Hodgson era) but this year they seem to have fairly easy route, a bit of luck and most importantly the ability to beat the teams they should be beating. Doesn't matter how the competition ends, it's already a successful one.
Germany played teams that you'd expect them to beat and they lost to two of them meaning they were eliminated. If they'd beaten them, England could have played them, instead they've had to play a team that was better than them in this tournament (and was also better than both Italy and Holland in qualifying).

Argentina played teams that you'd expect them to beat and they drew with one and lost to another. If they'd beaten them, England could have played them. Instead, Argentina ended up on the other side of the draw and England now come up against the team that beat them 3-0.

Spain played teams that you'd expect them to beat. They managed to beat one, drew with another courtesy of a VAR-assisted, stoppage time equaliser, and ended being eliminated on penalties by the other. If they'd beaten them England could be facing them on Wednesday rather than Croatia.

I just don't get how England have been lucky to come up against sides that have proven themselves better this time around than the likes of Argentina and Germany.

kps88

Portugal had an "easy" run to the 2016 Euros final (they only won one game in 90 minutes!) but that's not discussed. Italy, as you've said, Brazil in 2002 had a group with Turkey, Costa Rica and China, then faced Belgium, England and Turkey on their way to the final, both actually quite celebrated wins.
These were all discussed at the time. Germany's route to the final in 2002 was also relatively easy and that was talked about at the time. No one cares about it years later though. Will be the same with England.

TheLiverBird

You have to play what's in front of you.

The likes of Brazil, Germany, France, Belgium, Spain and co. have all struggled against the so called lesser teams. Germany had an easy group on paper and came last. There's no easy games.

Fact is, whether people like it or not, we're in the semi finals because we deserve to be there. Hopefully we can go on to win it.
Absolutely this all day long

You get to the Semi Finals by beating those infront of you

We've done that, thoroughly deserve to be there

Teams on paper can look easier, but at this level, with pressure that comes with the latter stages of a World Cup, no games are easy

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
You have had an easy route, though. But in the end, it doesn’t really matter. As has been said a few times, you can only beat what’s in front of you and for this relatively weak England team to have reached the SF is a great achievement no matter how they got there. Even if Croatia has a better midfield, I actually fancy you to get to the final.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Group Stage: Cameroon/Russia/Sweden, R16: USA, QF: Netherlands, SF: Sweden. Group Stage: Ireland, Norway, Mexico. R16: Nigeria, QF: Spain, SF: Bulgaria. These are the opponents Brazil and Italy beat in order to reach the final in 1994 in a tournament similar to this one in terms of how the big boys performed (England were missing then just as Italy failed to qualify for this one among the past winners). This "favourable route" is not even unprecedented to cause such a stir.

They only "luck" England enjoyed is that they spent most part of the last 50 years "creating" a reputation for themselves as notorious bed wetters in big tournaments and now that they actually have a well-functioning gameplan, they might win the damn thing without having faced a single one of the past winners (if Belgium reach the final). It helps not to face Germany at home and France lead by Zidane and Henry (2006) when you have forgotten how it feels to win something. Not England's fault, by any means, but the element of "luck" is pretty obvious to be detected here. Just as Brazil were helped by their easy route in order to lift a curse that was hanging over them for 24 years, England got their rub of the green this time around. It's the same "luck" that had deserted England in 1990 & 1996 when they played better than Germany yet they went out on penalties in both occasions.

Funnily enough, the last time someone won the WC without facing a single one of the previous holders was back in 1974 when West Germany chose to throw away their last group game against East Germany in order to avoid a second group which consisted of Holland, Brazil and Argentina and face Poland (good team like Croatia in this WC), Sweden and Yugoslavia (who only beat Zair in that competition) instead. If England face the much talented but inexperienced at the highest level Belgium in the final, it will be a route very similar to Germany's in 1974. So, good tactics/performances, cynicism and a bit fortunate that many of the other big boys didn't do well or faced each other, it's all happened before. Just enjoy the ride.

acnumber9

:lol: I have no issue with people who don’t support England.

But moaning a UK based TV coverage has an English bias is plan stupid, which is what you did.
You keep refusing to answer if you would enjoy listening to people talk about Liverpool constantly in games not involving them. Perhaps because it would show the hypocrisy. I’ll leave you to it.

Skills

Snitch
Who gives a shit? Portugal won the euros by winning a single game in regulation time. It's hardly held against them.

acnumber9

In England the whole tournament is about England/home nations. And so it bloody should be. It's the national broadcaster that we pay to view.

If you're not comfortable with that then there are other free, non-partisan alternatives to view instead. Russia Today, perhaps.
It’s a UK broadcaster that we all pay to view. Not everyone in the UK supports England clearly. I don’t like the assumption everyone watches wants English clubs to do well in Europe either and I doubt I’m the only Man United fan on this forum that thinks that.

McUnited

Haters will hate.

England have done well and earned their right to be there. Who gives a feck what the narrative is from the haters.
Pointing out that one half of the draw is less demanding doesn't make one a hater.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
You keep refusing to answer if you would enjoy listening to people talk about Liverpool constantly in games not involving. Perhaps because it would show the hypocrisy. I’ll leave you to it.
That's not comparable though.

You're complaining about a UK broadcast talking about the only UK side in a tournament. Regardless of whatever game is on, the majority of the UK audience will have some sort of vested interest in the UK side at the tournament, far more so than they have any interest in the other side.

Do you think the French and Belgian broadcasters spent yesterday discussing England, Sweden, Croatia and Russia, or do you think they spent it discussing France and Belgium respectively?

A UK broadcaster discussing Liverpool when Manchester United are playing Chelsea isn't remotely similar. It isn't even similar for them to do so when Burnley and Huddersfield play, because the majority of the audience will not have a vested interest in Liverpool.

It's a weird comparison and you're not proving any hypocrisy by making it.

Irrational.

If you offered any team Tunisia, Panama, Belgium (without needing to win), Colombia (without their best player), Sweden and Croatia as a route to the World Cup final they would snap your hand off, because it is on paper as easy a run of fixtures as you could possibly hope for in this tournament.

That doesn't mean England haven't done well, they have. Particularly when you consider previous England sides screwing up against the likes of Iceland. England had the chance to blow it against both Tunisia and Colombia but didn't and they deserve credit for that.

You can only beat what's in front of you but you would have to be bizzarely biased to deny that what's been put in front of England is a relatively easy run.

Look at it this way: would you have swapped your fixtures for that of any of the other semi-finalists? I think not.
Exactly my view. Nail on the head.

This forum has suddenly become awash with posters who will call you a 'hater' any time you try and apply some logic or question the sequence of favourable fixtures.

There's nothing wrong with that and it has put England in a tremendous position, but likewise the people who question the lack of quality England have faced are not wrong either.

Josep Dowling

You keep refusing to answer if you would enjoy listening to people talk about Liverpool constantly in games not involving them. Perhaps because it would show the hypocrisy. I’ll leave you to it.
Because it’s never going to happen so it’s a stupid analogy.

Canagel

They have had it easy. You can't deny that. Playing Tunisia, Panama, Belgium B, Colombia and Sweden to get to the semi finals is the easiest route ever. England have been expected to win every game so far (apart from Belgium) which they have done so far. But you can only beat what's in front of you and they're doing exactly that so we give them big credit of course.

fergies coat

They have had it easy, a WC when you can get to the final without having to face any version
of Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Holland, Portugal is a very rare opportunity. It is not a criticism of England to make that point, they have taken advantage of what has fallen for them, played well and every other team on that side of the draw had the same chance to do something special.

Get the same trophy for a tough run as for an easier one.
The same Italy that got beat off sweden?
Or Spain who were humbled by Russia?
Germany got spanked by Mexico and South Korea, and the less said about the Netherlands the better.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Of course England have been on the more favourable side of the draw, but let’s not fail to acknowledge that those teams earned their right to be there. With some of the shite luck in recent years it’s just nice to be in a semi final - and a winnable one at that!!

Stop with all the masochist nonsense ye fannies.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
England has had it easy.
They have done their job anyway and should be happy about that. Trying to claim they haven't got it easy compared to those on the other side of the brackets... :lol:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If Liverpool TV were showings a champions league game not involving them , you're damned right that I would expect to hear them talking about Liverpool. I wouldn't enjoy it but I wouldn't complain about it either.

But that is why I don't watch Liverpool tv.

What bitter comments like this fail to realise is that these are national broadcasters, talking about one of our 4 national teams.

When Wales were smashing the euros, a lot of the focus was on them. If NI made the wc semis, the same would happen. They'd be talking about their potential opponents.

Some people in the UK will actively hays the English team. Some people in England will. Some people in the UK will think football is a complete waste of time and won't believe that they're paying money for others to watch football.

How far do wd have to take everyone into account in your opinion?

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
I absolutely do not buy into this "England have had it easy" narrative in this World Cup.

England may have had a fairly easy group for qualification to this World Cup, but they got through it almost flawlessly, unbeaten, with only two draws, both away from home. They've now beaten everyone they've had in front of them, aside from one team in a dead rubber at the end of the group stage, in a game in which both sides heavily rotated their squads, with that team also making it to the last four.

This World Cup has seen current World Cup holders, Germany, exit at the group stage, finishing bottom of their group with only one win, having lost to both South Korea and Mexico. It's seen the runners up from the last World Cup, Argentina, exit in the first knockout round, with just one win, having drawn with Iceland and lost 3-0 to Croatia. We've seen Spain eliminated in the first knockout round, again with just one win (a single goal victory over Iran), being eliminated by Russia, and drawing with Morocco courtesy of a stoppage time, VAR-assisted goal. We've seen Portugal eliminated in the first knockout round, another with just one win (a single goal victory over Morocco), drawing with Iran in the group stage. Even Uruguay, who made it to the quarter finals before going out with a whimper against France, only beat Saudi Arabia and Egypt (who lost to Saudi Arabia) by a single goal. Croatia, England's semi-final opponents, who looked very good in the group stage, have now needed penalties to get past both Denmark and Russia in the knockouts.

We've also got Netherlands and Italy who didn't even qualify. Netherlands drew with Sweden, lost to Bulgaria, and were battered 4-0 by France, and ended up third. Italy scraped a stoppage time win over Macedonia away, then drew with them at home, and were battered 3-0 by Spain, before ultimately failing to score against Sweden over two legs in the play-off. Both struggled against the same Sweden side that are now being brushed aside as "easy opponents" after England pick up a comfortable 2-0 win over them in the World Cup quarter finals, after Sweden topped their group.

Going back to previous tournaments, in Euro 2016, you see England being eliminated in the first knockout round by Iceland, with only win in the group stage after drawing with Russia and Slovakia. Tournament winners Portugal progressing to the knockouts as the third of four lucky losers without a single win against Hungary, Iceland and Austria, beating Croatia in extra-time, needing penalties to get past Poland, with the semi-final against Wales (the only team England managed to beat) being their only regulation-time win in the whole tournament as they also beat France in extra time in the final.

In the 2014 World Cup England mustered just a single draw against Costa Rica to win their only point of the tournament. In 2010 England were humiliated by Germany in the first knockout round, being eliminated with just a single, one goal victory over Slovenia, after losing to the US and drawing with Algeria in the group stage.

The apparent Golden Generation didn't even qualify for Euro 2008, drawing at home to Macedonia, away with Israel, losing away to Russia, and being beaten home and away by Croatia.

You can only beat what's put in front of you, and in the 15 matches England have played to first qualify for the tournament and now progress through it, they've won 12, drawn two, and lost just one, that being a non-event final group game with both teams already qualified and rotating their squads heavily. Frankly, it's bollocks to say England have had it easy, because there's no easy way to make it to a World Cup semi-final.
'You don't buy into it'...Of course not! Croatia is the first true test and it's come as late as the semi's! So yeah, they have had it easy.

Dante

Average bang
So Sweden, Colombia and Croatia should be thrown out of the competition and replaced by Germany, Chile and Spain?

The message I'm getting from certain posters is that you're only as good as your reputation, not your results.

It's massively arrogant to downplay the achievements of the opponents that England have faced so far. They deserve to be there because they've been better than the so-called big teams that everyone in championing.

England have faced THE BEST opponents they could have possibly faced based on the games that have been played.

automaticflare

So Sweden, Colombia and Croatia should be thrown out of the competition and replaced by Germany, Chile and Spain?

The message I'm getting from certain posters is that you're only as good as your reputation, not your results.

It's massively arrogant to downplay the achievements of the opponents that England have faced so far.
Doesn’t mean they are good or that they have not overachieved themselves