The "England have had it easy" narrative

Verminator

I think it’s fairly clear what I’m referring to. You can’t say anything about this England team without being called bitter. I’ve never seen the word used so often. It would be nice to watch Russia v Croatia or the like without the focus being on England. I don’t think the vast majority are watching it to only see who England play, that’s utter nonsense. Would you like every Premier League game you watch being about Liverpool? I wouldn’t care about England doing well if they wouldn’t make the whole competition about them.
I'd expect Liverpool TV to rattle on about Liverpool.
I'd expect Croatian TV to obsess about Croatia.
Do you think Belgian TV were ignoring their team while showing Sweden vs England?

Take a look at yourself.

automaticflare

Maybe because you did? Obviously you can only play what's in front of you but how is it not the easier route? Was our route to the CL final in 2011 not an easy one? Marseilles, Chelsea, Schalke.

I just find the need for validation really weird. Everyone think you play shit football, so what? You've not played anyone good, so what? Just take it on the chin. If you enjoy the performance of your team, why outside opinion matters, like, at all?
Spot on. Don’t need to justify your most successful tournament since 1990 as being an Overachievement or that players are world class or anything like it. Just enjoy where you are and accept that you have had a bit of luck in the way the draw worked out for you.

Everyone else on the planet can see it

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
:lol:

I'm just saying, you're on a Manchester United forum, not an England forum. I don't know why you'd expect threads about England to be free of people critiquing the side or indeed actively wanting them to lose.

Fair enough.

It is coming home though.

automaticflare

I'm just saying, you're on a Manchester United forum, not an England forum. I don't know why you'd expect threads about England to be free of people critiquing the side or indeed actively wanting them to lose.
Hey sure you have united fans actively wanting united to lose some games

GHam

Its a once in a lifetime opportunity for engerland, how could anyone deny it?

i dont think there will a world cup again where engerland wont face anyone of

- brazil
- argentina
- uruguay
- germany
- spain
- france
- italy
- portugal
- netherlands
- belgium

en route to the world cup final. thats like the 10 greatest international teams of all times.

instead, beating panama and tunisia gets you put of the group, where you beat colombia(missing their most important player) on pens, get past mighty sweden (who even lost to poor germany) thanks to headers and pickford..

:confused: so scoring headed goals from open play, and our goalkeeper making saves. You're bizarrely using those two things as weird, lucky byes to the next round?

What if we kicked the goals in against Sweden? Would that be better for you?

That is quite frankly one of the strangest things I've read on this or any other football forum.

acnumber9

Unfortunetly the national TV stations of any given country are going to talk about their own national side above all else in the later stages of a tournament.

If you wanted to get the feel of the country you do support, perhaps a holiday there would have provided you with the experience you were after.
Yes. I should definitely leave my country to be able to watch Russia play Croatia without the focus being on England. Seems reasonable.

acnumber9

I'd expect Liverpool TV to rattle on about Liverpool.
I'd expect Croatian TV to obsess about Croatia.
Do you think Belgian TV were ignoring their team while showing Sweden vs England?

Take a look at yourself.
ITV is not an English broadcaster. The comparison to Liverpool TV is therefore incredibly stupid. If you were watching Man United beat Chelsea in an FA Cup tie would you expect the first sentence at the end of the game to be about the team they face in the next round?

I wouldn’t expect the first mention right at the end of England beating Sweden to be about anyone other than England or Sweden to be honest.

PoTMS

And France aren't exactly praised on this board, so it shouldn't really matter.
France are being touted by many to win the whole thing as they alongside Belgium have the best players on paper. No other teams come close. The reason England is being praised is because us fans literally expected nothing from them.

togg

Who gives a toss if it's deemed an easier route. It's not as though England is considered one of the globally elite teams. We lost to bloody Iceland for goodness sake. Looking at England's footballing history, apart from the odd occassion, every route is hard......

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
ITV is not an English broadcaster. The comparison to Liverpool TV is therefore incredibly stupid. If you were watching Man United beat Chelsea in an FA Cup tie would you expect the first sentence at the end of the game to be about the team they face in the next round?

I wouldn’t expect the first mention right at the end of England beating Sweden to be about anyone other than England or Sweden to be honest.
I can't speak for others but personally my heart is bleeding to hear of this most unjust of experiences you had to endure. There you were, waiting in eager anticipation of some post match analysis about the game just played only to be met with the insufferably cruel blow of hearing about the importance of that fixture for the country to which the broadcaster belonged.

This is an epic tale of injustice and I personally feel that heads should have to roll after this.

I can only hope that you had a soothing cup of cocoa to hand to help you recover from this devastating turn of events.

automaticflare

Who gives a toss if it's deemed an easier route. It's not as though England is considered one of the globally elite teams. We lost to bloody Iceland for goodness sake. Looking at England's footballing history, apart from the odd occassion, every route is been hard......

Not true you fecked yourselves over to be honest many many times against absolute shit teams or dropping points in group stages against Tunisia to finish second in the group.

acnumber9

I can't speak for others but personally my heart is bleeding to hear of this most unjust of experiences you had to endure. There you were, waiting in eager anticipation of some post match analysis about the game just played only to be met with the insufferably cruel blow of hearing about the importance of that fixture for the country to which the broadcaster belonged.

This is an epic tale of injustice and I personally feel that heads should have to roll after this.

I can only hope that you had a soothing cup of cocoa to hand to help you recover from this devastating turn of events.
Thanks for the intelligent conversation and for making me like England fans even more. Enjoy the rest of the World Cup.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
:lol: Christ !

It's been one of the easiest routes to a world semi final in the competition history. Just be grateful that you've made it this far(In fairness most England fans are).
Nah.

Check out both Germany and Turkey from 2002 or Italy from 2006

There is one or two easy runs every tournament

Verminator

This is almost intelligible.

A national broadcaster will concentrate on that country's team.
I think you are plowing a lone furrow here.

I think what has been missed so far is, this may have appeared to be an easy route, for a tournament favourite.
Which England definitely were not..

England have been playing their peers, and in Colombia''s case, superiors.
So, a favourable route, but not easy.

LoCalXT

:lol: of course it's been an easy road for England....but once the ball drops anything can happen.
England just have to play what's infront of them...they didn't decide the groups.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: Christ !

It's been one of the easiest routes to a world semi final in the competition history. Just be grateful that you've made it this far(In fairness most England fans are).
This.
Southgate gambled on getting the easier route. We got past Colombia, just, and it's paid off.

If England get to the final or even win it, won't matter how we did it.
When we won in 1966 we only played 5 games, all at Wembley. Goal in the final that probably didn't actually cross the line.

Name on the trophy is all that matters.

Kag

It’s a UK broadcaster that we all pay to view. Not everyone in the UK supports England clearly. I don’t like the assumption everyone watches wants English clubs to do well in Europe either and I doubt I’m the only Man United fan on this forum that thinks that.
Most people do support England though, hence the fervour. If Wales or Scotland were in the semi finals then the chat would be all about them, and rightly so, because they are home nations and have many supporters. I'm not even sure what you're pissed off about.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I thought the whole point of the Belgium debate was that the loser landed on the "easy side" of the draw.

The only teams that England have beaten so far are Tunisia, Panama, Colombia and Sweden. Yes, as OP says, you can only beat what's in front of you but what's been in front of you has by and large been dross hence the whole approach to the Belgium game.

acnumber9

This is almost intelligible.

A national broadcaster will concentrate on that country's team.
I think you are plowing a lone furrow here.

I think what has been missed so far is, this may have appeared to be an easy route, for a tournament favourite.
Which England definitely were not..

England have been playing their peers, and in Colombia''s case, superiors.
So, a favourable route, but not easy.
Most people do support England though, hence the fervour. If Wales or Scotland were in the semi finals then the chat would be all about them, and rightly so, because they are home nations and have many supporters. I'm not even sure what you're pissed off about.
You’re right. I’m the first person in history to not like biased and one eyed coverage of Football. I’m responsible for the countless threads and posts complaining about football coverage on this forum. Of course what I should do is either leave my country if I don’t like it or watch it in a language I don’t understand.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It has been an easier route, surely that can't even be disputed, England teams of the past may still have failed given this route though so I guess credit is due to southgates england.

The talk of bias and not been neutral regarding commentary is a strange one for England, yes in Italy, Belgium etc the commentators are not at all neutral and that's great, it's commentary for their country. Here in the U.K., I'm not sure How it is in Scotland or Ireland but here in Wales we still listen to national BBC radio one, itv news etc and its England England England for weeks, people who know shit about football on the radio getting carried away and singing it's coming home and playing English football songs, it is tedious I'll be honest, then if they do win or get further all the national news and papers will be England crazy where as I really couldn't give a shit about England while living here in Wales, when Wales got quite far (for us) in the euros we just had pieces in the Wales on Sunday and a page in the back of the mirror and it was mainly England just crying about us.

I'm not saying it's wrong or know anyway to change it, just pointing out then when every game we watch on tele is England related even when they're not playing and I'm not English or even living in England it kinda does get on my tits.

Verminator

You’re right. I’m the first person in history to not like biased and one eyed coverage of Football. I’m responsible for the countless threads and posts complaining about football coverage on this forum. Of course what I should do is either leave my country if I don’t like it or watch it in a language I don’t understand.
How many others are complaining about bias from a national broadcaster during an international tournament ?

Verminator

It has been an easier route, surely that can't even be disputed, England teams of the past may still have failed given this route though so I guess credit is due to southgates england.

The talk of bias and not been neutral regarding commentary is a strange one for England, yes in Italy, Belgium etc the commentators are not at all neutral and that's great, it's commentary for their country. Here in the U.K., I'm not sure How it is in Scotland or Ireland but here in Wales we still listen to national BBC radio one, itv news etc and its England England England for weeks, people who know shit about football on the radio getting carried away and singing it's coming home and playing English football songs, it is tedious I'll be honest, then if they do win or get further all the national news and papers will be England crazy where as I really couldn't give a shit about England while living here in Wales, when Wales got quite far (for us) in the euros we just had pieces in the Wales on Sunday and a page in the back of the mirror and it was mainly England just crying about us.

I'm not saying it's wrong or know anyway to change it, just pointing out then when every game we watch on tele is England related even when they're not playing and I'm not English or even living in England it kinda does get on my tits.
Wales got good coverage on TV in England during the euros.
I'm Wales first, England second, so it would have pissed me off.
What BBC and ITV can't do is cater for every immigrant that might be here.

If other home nations were involved and there was an issue then I'd be understandind of the need to discuss.

Walters_19_MuFc

Absolutely this all day long

You get to the Semi Finals by beating those infront of you

We've done that, thoroughly deserve to be there

Teams on paper can look easier, but at this level, with pressure that comes with the latter stages of a World Cup, no games are easy
Exactly. We've lost to the so called 'lesser teams' in the past. Most recently, Iceland in the Euros.

Also came second in a group, where, on paper, we should be winning easily.

Southgate has come in. Doesn't give a damn about what the media say. He's done it his way, and so far, he's reaped the benefits.

Loublaze

ATLien
It's a BS excuse used to discredit England's achievement by the bitter "anyone but England" club.

Germany got to the final in 02 beating Paraguay, USA & South Korea & nobody made a big deal out of it. Italy's route to the semi's in 06 was Australia & Ukraine, again nobody said anything. You can only beat who is in front of you.
Its been a favorable draw, you can't deny it. Germany's 2002 squad was considered one of their worst in recent times at the beginning of the event. Their ease of passage to the final including their group was discussed and so was Italy's but tbh England have more haters than those countries :D. Comes with the territory.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
ffs :lol: you lost to the only good team you faced and when you come up against the next best team in your journey their best player is injured. Its just the way it is. If you beat Croatia then France/Belgium then fair play.
Both teams played their second string and were already through, if England had won that game people would say we only beat Belgium because they rested their best players.

Classical Mechanic

Its been a favorable draw, you can't deny it. Germany's 2002 squad was considered one of their worst in recent times at the beginning of the event. Their ease of passage to the final including their group was discussed and so was Italy's but tbh England have more haters than those countries :D. Comes with the territory.
Lou. I respect that you make no bones about your bitterness.

Remember England handed that German team their first ever competitive loss on home soil in a a World Cup qualifier 1-5. Good times.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Wales got good coverage on TV in England during the euros.
I'm Wales first, England second, so it would have pissed me off.
What BBC and ITV can't do is cater for every immigrant that might be here.
They got good coverage on TV yea and they got savage and Saunders in. I didn't hear radio 1 going all manics mad and playing Welsh football songs and bigging Wales up though because I doubt the English who were already knocked out really wanted to hear it.

I know it can't be helped but that doesn't stop it grating. Just pointing out Both Wales and England pay the tv license so when you go on about national broadcasters can be biased in their own country guess you're forgetting about us in little old Wales.

Then some things I've read from England fans in this thread they don't even know the difference between Wales and Ireland were so insignificant to them :lol:

And a quick edit for you. Wales is not an immigrant to the uk :lol::lol: so I don't know why you brought up immigrants.

SteveW

You have beaten Tunisia (barely), Panama and Sweden. You scraped past Colombia on penalties. You've done very little.

I don't now why you feel the need to be praised. The excitement of being in the WC semi final should be more than enough without pining for fake praise that you wouldn't extend to any other big football nation who'd beaten those sides.

PieCrust

The whole " bring it home" thing it's so cringe worthy. That alone makes me root for England to crash out.

There hasn't been an easier run to a final than what England has had. They've lost to the only quality team they've faced.

At the same time, that's what the tournament had presented them.

Verminator

They got good coverage on TV yea and they got savage and Saunders in. I didn't hear radio 1 going all manics mad and playing Welsh football songs and bigging Wales up though because I doubt the English who were already knocked out really wanted to hear it.

I know it can't be helped but that doesn't stop it grating. Just pointing out Both Wales and England pay the tv license so when you go on about national broadcasters can be biased in their own country guess you're forgetting about us in little old Wales.

Then some things I've read from England fans in this thread they don't even know the difference between Wales and Ireland were so insignificant to them :lol:

And a quick edit for you. Wales is not an immigrant to the uk :lol::lol: so I don't know why you brought up immigrants.
Read my post again. My background is Welsh, born in England.
I'm not referring to the home nations as immigrants. :lol:

Verminator

The whole " bring it home" thing it's so cringe worthy. That alone makes me root for England to crash out.

There hasn't been an easier run to a final than what England has had. They've lost to the only quality team they've faced.

So grating that you forgot it's actually "It's coming home."
Still you got the attention you craved.

togg

At least get the song right if you are going to criticise......

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Read my post again. My background is Welsh, born in England.
I'm not referring to the home nations as immigrants. :lol:
I did read your post and I seen the bit you said wales first yea, you did bring up itv bbc not being able to cater for every immigrant here when I had a little whinge about us in wales having to put up with all this coming home nonsense though :D

Just seemed funny, it’s all good