The enigma that is West Ham United

Acole9

Outstanding
I think Pellegrini knew that if he carried on playing Roberto that would seal his fate.

Red00012

It would be great to see them relegated.
Wouldn’t miss them playing in their cup final against us.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
They are horrendous. I must be cursing them because whenever I watch they are crap.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Rice has been terrible tonight.

I do think he's a decent player but his passing has been woeful. Seems Noble influence rubbing off on him as he's always been an awful distributor of any pass that isn't a 5 yard sideways one.

I assume Jack Wilshere is on one of his annual four month breaks?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The old cnut in charge really blew it tonight. They got their early spawny goal and he should have shut up shop. But he went all out for more and it bit him on the arse. Gave us the space we needed and our wingers got everything going.

Based Adnan

How is Ryan Fredericks a premier league player? And how the feck is Snodgrass playing every week?

Laughable tonight, and they have some horrid players whose main goal seems to be to injure their opponent. I'd love to see them go and blow their bubbles in the championship next year.

SAFMUTD

Rice seems very poor at the moment, overall all west ham play very very poorly.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Moyes is a big name manager with a lot of pedigree. Managed United in the Champions League and took the plunge to take a job in Spain. Okay it didn't work out but the guy stayed humble and to his roots, taking the job at Sunderland before guiding the Hammers to a 13th place finish — a MASSIVE plus for the club as they're a team everybody and their dog wants to see relegated. If he can work a bit of the old Moyesy magic again he might have them competing for 12th by the end of the year!

That old Chilean Pelligrino was too hold and Chilean to handle the firey cauldron of East London. If there's one man that can do that, it's David.

Arise Sir Moyes, your time is now :drool:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
They're not really an enigma. They have quite a lot of rubbish players and are therefore rubbish. People just pretend otherwise for some reason

Declan Rice is a prime example. He's a starter in the England team now but if I asked anyone to tell me what it is he's actually good at, they'd have to completely make up an answer.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They're not really an enigma. They have quite a lot of rubbish players and are therefore rubbish. People just pretend otherwise for some reason

Declan Rice is a prime example. He's a starter in the England team now but if I asked anyone to tell me what it is he's actually good at, they'd have to completely make up an answer.
One of those ‘weird feelings in football’ where the average fan thinks West Ham have a good set of players and should automatically only be behind the top 6 and a few others.

It’s a bit like Bournemouth who ‘play good football’, but in actuality they’ve had a shocking 18 months or so, with only Norwich and Palace scoring fewer goals this season.

Classical Mechanic

Not really, he’s a pure DM he’s very good at breaking up play through tackling and intercepting. He a decent enough passer too. His weaknesses are being too slow in defensive transitions and not being able to take the ball under a high press.

Josep Dowling

We should try to poach Anderson.
Not sure. Players like him are part of the problem at West Ham. Luxury players who don’t get stuck in when the going gets tough.

Reminds of a second rate Nani.

West Ham’s biggest problem is poor recruitment. I mean Fabianski gets injured and their two backs up this season are not even Championship standard.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not really, he’s a pure DM he’s very good at breaking up play through tackling and intercepting. He a decent enough passer too. His weaknesses are being too slow in defensive transitions and not being able to take the ball under a high press.
Also the fact he isn't actually very good at any of what you described. He's an average player who's been hyped into something more, based on having a few good games.

You can go through a list with West Ham of similar.

Anderson for example. Has a lot of technical ability but every time I watch them he is absolutely dreadful. If he became available for some odd reason you'd have people on here suggesting we should sign him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

I disagree. Already you've got a poster above asking to sign Felipe Anderson. Issa Diop was linked to Man. United at times last season although he can't get a regular game at the moment. Fabianksi has shown he's a good keeper down the years and his absence has seen them drop down the league rapidly.

I thought Haller would be a great signing but he's really struggled lately.

There's a decent core there that shouldn't be way below likes of Everton and Newcastle in that mid table pack.

Dolf

How are they not top 4 with a wonderkid like Rice, who apparently was so good many on here wanted us to buy him this summer.

Classical Mechanic

Also the fact he isn't actually very good at any of what you described. He's an average player who's been hyped into something more, based on having a few good games.

You can go through a list with West Ham of similar.

Anderson for example. Has a lot of technical ability but every time I watch them he is absolutely dreadful. If he became available for some odd reason you'd have people on here suggesting we should sign him.
He‘s 7th in the league for tackles per game and 8th for interceptions so he’s actually one of the best there is at it. His pass completion is the same as Jorginho and he actually makes slightly more successful long passes than him. He’s 20 years old so has plenty of scope to improve.

I don’t think we should sign Rice or Anderson.

Hoof the ball

He‘s 7th in the league for tackles per game and 8th for interceptions so he’s actually one of the best there is at it. His pass completion is the same as Jorginho and he actually makes slightly more successful long passes than him. He’s 20 years old so has plenty of scope to improve.

I don’t think we should sign Rice or Anderson.
Not all successful long passes are equal. For eg. Many of those long passes by Rice are diagonal switches to either flank, which are lower risk and higher percentage. In contrast, Jorginho plays more speculative long passes over the heads of the opposition defensive line and onto the striker's run, which are higher risk and lower percentage.
You can't necessarily look at that stat and draw from it that it's evidence that Rice is a better long passer than Jorginho, because quite frankly we all know it's simply not the case.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
The West ham way as far as I'm aware is it's staying in the prem by the skin of your teeth most years

Classical Mechanic

Not all successful long passes are equal. For eg. Many of those long passes by Rice are diagonal switches to either flank, which are lower risk and higher percentage. In contrast, Jorginho plays more speculative long passes over the heads of the opposition defensive line and onto the striker's run, which are higher risk and lower percentage.
You can't necessarily look at that stat and draw from it that it's evidence that Rice is a better long passer than Jorginho, because quite frankly we all know it's simply not the case.
Sure, I said Rice is a decent enough passer. Jorginho is better but that defines his game whereas Rice is defined as being a ball winner.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Imagine if they never sold players, they could have won the PL in the late 2000s with Rio, Lampard, Carrick, Cole, Defoe, Johnson, Benayoun, Mascherano & Tevez in the same side.

DavidDeSchmikes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44140002
16th May 2018

"When David and his team arrived, it was the wish of both parties that the focus be only on the six months until the end of the season, at which point a decision would be made with regards to the future," said West Ham joint-chairman David Sullivan.
"We feel that it is right to move in a different direction. We aim to appoint a high-calibre figure who we feel will lead the club into an exciting future for our loyal supporters within the next 10 days."