Gaming 1836 - The Europa Universalis 4 Experiment (Hands-off) - Map & stats in second post - Final Map and Stats update - Timelapse video

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'm running the "was this predetermined?" run, just to see if... well, things had to happen the way they did. It's up to 1694 and some things are similar (Stobzilla and Grib were first to go), but it's surprisingly different. I'll post the final map when it's in 1836, so you guys can imagine what could have been.

Phil Jones Face

Is anybody planning on running another paradox game experiment?

I was thinking (hopefully with nimics blessing!) of running a historical nations EU4 run, mainly as I think it would be pretty cool to play out the events/missions, but I hadn't planned on starting it until late July when I've got some time off.

I could start it before then if nobody else had anything in mind, but the pacing would likely be slower than nimics due to work.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

I was thinking (hopefully with nimics blessing!) of running a historical nations EU4 run, mainly as I think it would be pretty cool to play out the events/missions, but I hadn't planned on starting it until late July when I've got some time off.

I could start it before then if nobody else had anything in mind, but the pacing would likely be slower than nimics due to work.
In before the inevitable swarm :lol:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I did a thing. It's nothing big, just a timelapse video. Don't ask me how long it took me to get the years in.

Okay I'll tell you, it took a long time. I haven't tried to make or edit a video since I was making CS frag-movies with my pirated Sony Vegas when I was 14.

:lol: :eek:

Look at those two nations in western Canada dance to the music from 3:20. Wow. Then @BD comes along and gobbles them up.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

Im a big Paradox and EU4 fan so count me in for anything. How exactly what a historical nations run work though? Just each of us pick a country?

Phil Jones Face

Im a big Paradox and EU4 fan so count me in for anything. How exactly what a historical nations run work though? Just each of us pick a country?
I was thinking randomise, otherwise we would end up with the early sign ups picking good nations like the Ottomans and the stragglers left with the Norways.

Open for suggestions though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

I ran a few CKIII test runs which went pretty smoothly so think that would work.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Of course, but if you upstage me I will never forgive you.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'm already vaguely thinking about another one, but there's no rush. I'm not trying to flood the market or anything, let @Phil Jones Face get his going. Maybe sometime this summer, unless everyone is tired of them by then.

I think next time I might let you guys design your countries a bit more. It'll be a hassle, but I might just write a list of all the possible national ideas you can pick and let you actually pick them. We'll see.

Edit: oh yeah, and I already did all of the work in getting the years ready for video editing, so now I might as well use them for future timelapse videos.

Phil Jones Face

I'm already vaguely thinking about another one, but there's no rush. I'm not trying to flood the market or anything, let @Phil Jones Face get his going. Maybe sometime this summer, unless everyone is tired of them by then.

I think next time I might let you guys design your countries a bit more. It'll be a hassle, but I might just write a list of all the possible national ideas you can pick and let you actually pick them. We'll see.

Edit: oh yeah, and I already did all of the work in getting the years ready for video editing, so now I might as well use them for future timelapse videos.
I'd recommend taking a look at the government types too for your next one. You can get some quirky ones. I did a multiplayer playing as a pirates republic, just raiding everybody for shits and giggles.

I ran a few CKIII test runs which went pretty smoothly so think that would work.
I take that to mean you'll be doing the CK3 experiment first?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

Also dibs on a spot for the next one! A good spot as well, none of this silly Anatolia crap

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd recommend taking a look at the government types too for your next one. You can get some quirky ones. I did a multiplayer playing as a pirates republic, just raiding everybody for shits and giggles.

I take that to mean you'll be doing the CK3 experiment first?
I have some time at the start of July where i am alone in the house so can kickstart it I think.

Will run a few more tests over the end of this month so I’m sure I can take it on. :lol:

AnotherLondonManc

Hey, I did another run just for me, and... well you died. But hobbers died too, so no complaining.
It better have been me that killed him.

I'd like to think that somewhere in the multiverse, ALM successfully conquers the world

nimic

something nice
Scout
As I mentioned, I just ran the same game through again to 1836, to see how deterministic the starting position was. The results were actually quite interesting. I'll spoiler both the brief summary and Europe & World maps, since this is not canon. There can be only one.

Stobzilla and Grib were again two of the first to get killed. Dan, PSV, Walrus, VeevaVee and Vidyoyo were dealt with one way or another, and KirkDuyt was pretty small.

On the other hand, the two undisputed superpowers of the last game, hobbers and Solius, didn't have the same game. hobbers actually got killed pretty fast, and Solius never got his start on Crackers, which means he never got in a position to attack North Africa, and never betrayed BD (who played the Organic Potatoes role, facing a decline at the end). altodevil was also a strong power last time, but this time he got killed, and Welsh Wonder had a good game instead. RedSky was in a personal union under adexkola instead of Solius.

Denis79 survived and then sone, and AnotherLondonManc didn't get involved in North Africa but still got involved in Anatolia and Greece. Dr. Dwayne survived, Tiber survived. Shakesey, one of the victims of the real timeline, actually did really well. Bizarrely, Tuscany conquered most of Italy (killing both P-Nut and VeevaVee), and Poland did really well too. I definitely did not set this up thinking any historical countries would do anything in Europe, and that's how the real game turned out. Not sure why this was so different like that.

hobbers

That looks like the real countries were nerfed to feck in our game.

Although even the Timurids, Qi and Japan have all been wiped out as well.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
How is CK compared to EU? Surely there can be no other game like EU4
CK is similar, but more character focused. You effectively play as a dynasty rather than a nation, and each character will be much more fleshed out with traits and stats, and will develop over time.

It’s not uncommon in CK3 to end up trying to plot to kill your own brother, to take other his lands. Or to deliberately exile one of your sons to make sure that the better child will be first in line to take over as your heir; you play as one character and when they die, you play as their heir.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
As I mentioned, I just ran the same game through again to 1836, to see how deterministic the starting position was. The results were actually quite interesting. I'll spoiler both the brief summary and Europe & World maps, since this is not canon. There can be only one.

Stobzilla and Grib were again two of the first to get killed. Dan, PSV, Walrus, VeevaVee and Vidyoyo were dealt with one way or another, and KirkDuyt was pretty small.

On the other hand, the two undisputed superpowers of the last game, hobbers and Solius, didn't have the same game. hobbers actually got killed pretty fast, and Solius never got his start on Crackers, which means he never got in a position to attack North Africa, and never betrayed BD (who played the Organic Potatoes role, facing a decline at the end). altodevil was also a strong power last time, but this time he got killed, and Welsh Wonder had a good game instead. RedSky was in a personal union under adexkola instead of Solius.

Denis79 survived and then sone, and AnotherLondonManc didn't get involved in North Africa but still got involved in Anatolia and Greece. Dr. Dwayne survived, Tiber survived. Shakesey, one of the victims of the real timeline, actually did really well. Bizarrely, Tuscany conquered most of Italy (killing both P-Nut and VeevaVee), and Poland did really well too. I definitely did not set this up thinking any historical countries would do anything in Europe, and that's how the real game turned out. Not sure why this was so different like that.

:lol: Did I die or did I once again survive as one tiny province?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

Wow, that is quite different. Shakesy and Crackers living it up large, and Igor.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I hate this reality.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Died I'm afraid. I think the games prove your position was quite dangerous, but then I did sort of carve out a spot for you where I could.
Makes sense! It was slap bang in the middle of a lot of activity with little route to escape.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I did a thing. It's nothing big, just a timelapse video. Don't ask me how long it took me to get the years in.

Okay I'll tell you, it took a long time. I haven't tried to make or edit a video since I was making CS frag-movies with my pirated Sony Vegas when I was 14.

There's like 30 people who searched for something EU4 related and ended up watching this video, presumably with no idea who any of you people are. There's also 5 people who got it in their recommended list. Those 5 must have been watching a lot of Paradox timelapse videos. There are a lot of them out there, to be fair.

I tried adding a link to the thread in the description, but YouTube wants me to send them a picture of my official ID before they'll let me. It's like they don't trust random people on the internet anymore.