The European Super League: what will actually happen? Take your bets now!

OleBoiii

The bombshell that is the European Super League(ESL) was dropped last night so it's still too early to say what will actually happen. I've tried to compile a list of potential outcomes:

1. Nothing. Founders unpunished
The founders will be beaten into submission and things will return to normal.

2. Nothing. Founders punished
The founders will be beaten into submission and things will return to normal. The founders will also be severely punished, possibly by getting points docked.

3. The ESL will happen and that's that
Nothing will happen beyond the founder clubs opting out of the CL in favor of the ESL. This will effect other tournaments in the sense that the ESL will be the main focus of course, but we'll still see United in the PL etc.

4. The ESL will happen, but the founders will be punished
From a drama point of view this is the most "interesting", as there are so many different outcomes this can lead to. This could potentially lead to the founders leaving their domestic leagues completely.

CG1010

3. The ESL will happen and there will be some changes made to it as a compromise to make it a bit more open.

Brightonian

3. The ESL will happen and there will be some changes made to it as a compromise to make it a bit more open.
This is the only vaguely feasible outcome I would be at all happy with, and the compromise has to be that it becomes a proper open competition. I have no issue with people who think modern football is broken and the CL is not fit for purpose. I just can't watch a competition which has a pre-selected group of clubs who can't miss out on it no matter how badly they play.

I don't see this actually happening as the guaranteed involvement is surely the driving factor behind its creation.

OleBoiii

Isn't half the point that the founders can't be relegated? The only other way to make it more open is to expand it, but then the domestic leagues will suffer even more.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
5. ESL will happen, founders will be punished, lots of appeals will be made to European court etc

OleBoiii

5. ESL will happen, founders will be punished, lots of appeals will be made to European court etc
That's basically number 4.

But yeah, I'm also guessing that this will happen. The founders wouldn't go all out like this if they weren't confident about the ESL happening from a legal standpoint, but at the same time there is no way they will be able to do this without causing a massive shitstorm.

Conspiracy time: is this a part of the plan? If they are forced out of their domestic leagues despite "wanting" to remain, then it's technically not their fault. And if so: I'm curious about how many fans will actually buy it. It would be hilarious if for once the consumers actually managed to boycott such a thing.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That's basically number 4.

But yeah, I'm also guessing that this will happen. The founders wouldn't go all out like this if they weren't confident about the ESL happening from a legal standpoint, but at the same time there is no way they will be able to do this without causing a massive shitstorm.

Conspiracy time: is this a part of the plan? If they are forced out of their domestic leagues despite "wanting" to remain, then it's technically not their fault. And if so: I'm curious about how many fans will actually buy it. It would be hilarious if for once the consumers actually managed to boycott such a thing.
Football is all about money, which is coming from huge fans base / followings. Those super league clubs know they will always have the upper hands in terms of those for sure. And of course they have already expected and prepared for all the backlash and possible punishment, before they had decided to make such announcement.