Television The Expanse (TV Show)

lilcurt

So sad that a sci fi show this good gets cancelled before it's time... Doesn't give me much hope for the rest of the genre.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So sad that a sci fi show this good gets cancelled before it's time... Doesn't give me much hope for the rest of the genre.
That sentiment kind of reminds me of the Splinter Cell video game series: not a large enough audience so the big money moves on and it either stops getting made or they dilute its essence into mindless action.

There is some light there in the gaming sector with Hitman and a rumored new SC game; hopefully Dune part 2 is a smashing success for sci-fi (I think it will be).

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That last episode was fire. Please, please, please get finished on another network. Loads of action and epic moments.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Vastly underestimated the easter egg in the season finale of the Expanse.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-expanse-series-finale-easter-eggs/

We have:
Aliens
Halo
Mass Effect
Dune
2001 Space Oddessy
The last starfighter
Return of the jedi
Total Recall
Galaxy Quest
Interstellar
Blade Runner
Minoroty Report
Stargate SG1

Thats one badass assault team.
Just watched and started chuckling when I saw the names, had to pause it and go back to have a proper look. I got almost all of them, but there are a couple I have no clue about.
The shows writer had revealed who the odd ones out were…

Excellent work. And just for the record, Kathleen Garrity, Hidy Ochai, and Rob Levine were, respectively, my karate teacher, sensei, and black belt, in college

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Got a real ME2 suicide mission feel from that ending battle. Almost sure "The new armour held up." line is a nod to it.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
What was the deal with the kid on that planet. Zombie kid. How did that fit in the plot? I think I missed something, because it felt like something accidentally included from another show.

anyway, the finale was good. Would be criminal not to do another season. I’ll miss Amos the most.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
What was the deal with the kid on that planet. Zombie kid. How did that fit in the plot? I think I missed something, because it felt like something accidentally included from another show.

anyway, the finale was good. Would be criminal not to do another season. I’ll miss Amos the most.
Thats the set up for the final 3 seasons

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Yeah, that is why it has been pointed out that it was odd to spend valuable screen time in a shortened season on that if there weren’t solid ideas for continuing the show somehow.
There are two storylines to sort out if you watch the end credits carefully, Laconia/Duarte/Protomolecule & then the Ring Entities. There’s a suggestion going round that a movie to cover the last 3 books may happen rather than more series. Either way, I really hope they do something to finish it all properly.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Amos and Avasarala's scenes were few but they were funny.

"Don't call me that. I'm a member of a parliament, not your favourite stripper."

"You can be both."

"You look like shit."

"You look amazing."

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Amos and Avasarala's scenes were few but they were funny.

"Don't call me that. I'm a member of a parliament, not your favourite stripper."

"You can be both."

"You look like shit."

"You look amazing."
:lol: I love Amos

Let’s be honest. We all developed a man crush when he got his kit off in season 5.

I was shocked to discover that Steven Strait is only 35, he looks and gives off a vibe of being much older than that. Wes Chatham, by contrast is 43. I’d have pegged him for the 35 year old.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
:lol: I love Amos

Let’s be honest. We all developed a man crush when he got his kit off in season 5.

I was shocked to discover that Steven Strait is only 35, he looks and gives off a vibe of being much older than that. Wes Chatham, by contrast is 43. I’d have pegged him for the 35 year old.
Had to laugh at how much they glowed up Amos though.

Season 1 Amos...

Season 6 salon quality Amos...

Ya would though.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This would be amazing...

On top of that If they could inject into the game some of the rules from Expanse paper RPG like ship battles with all tactical assets like distance to target bonus, avoiding torpedoes or shooting it with PDC... think this could be better than Mass Effect, Homeworld and FTL combined.

Bobski

This would be amazing...

Dude, that would be just... Chills. I would be rocking with Ashford and Drummer, everyone else negotiable.

On a similar note I am hoping someone takes Wheel of Time and gives us an amazing RPG out of it, probably the only good thing to possibly come out of that show.

Ahmer Baig

Started watching this series after hearing so many good reviews about it. Already hooked. Will finish season 1 today. The series is amazing.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The last season was poor and hardly worth watching imo. Shame as is was mostly very good before then.

dinostar77

There are 4 more books following on from where the tv series stopped. Hopefully they might cover them oneday.

Revan

Assumptionman
The last season was poor and hardly worth watching imo. Shame as is was mostly very good before then.
I thought that the season was good but cannot understand for life of me why they spent 3 seasons in Filip’s father rather than in the infinitely more interesting Laconia/Ring entity plot.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
There are 4 more books following on from where the tv series stopped. Hopefully they might cover them oneday.
Like the final season of the series, the final novel of the books was underwhelming. Not the GoT-"I wish i never laid eyes upon this crap"-level of disappointing, but just highlighting the weakest parts of the whole saga by laying way too much focus on James fecking Holden (yeah that phrase occurs a cringe amount of times in the final novel), instead of, well, any of the other themes the series ever dealt with.

dinostar77

Like the final season of the series, the final novel of the books was underwhelming. Not the GoT-"I wish i never laid eyes upon this crap"-level of disappointing, but just highlighting the weakest parts of the whole saga by laying way too much focus on James fecking Holden (yeah that phrase occurs a cringe amount of times in the final novel), instead of, well, any of the other themes the series ever dealt with.
Ive just started tiamaths wrath. So still got a few books to go before the last one: Sins of our fathers.

I think the author has made a huge mistake (where i have got to in the books), by bringing the story back to the sol system. He should have done a GoT i.e. white walkers and had the race that killed the gate builders to start to attack and take out the ring gate colonies.

I agree there is too much focus on holden. One of the books, concentrates on amos. Im being vague here on purpose not to spoil it for folk. But that was really enjoyable as it didnt focus on holden.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
A couple nerd channels that came up on my feed talked about how there was a lot of interest in covering the rest of the story. It sounded surprising but I guess it might make sense given how streaming services would covet a beloved franchise to pull subscribers in sort of like what is happening with other fantasy worlds.

I remain pessimistic about anyone doing it properly though.

Bobski

Doing a watch through, and it is just such a great show, we don't get genre shows of this quality very often, well written, plotted, complete commitment to the theme, the political stuff feels like a very possible near future, it looks great, the action scenes are tense, space feels immense, lonely and alien. Peoples motivations and actions make sense for their experiences, and the story drives everything, we don't have the hugely unsubtle insertion of current politics or social issues that plague so many shows, anything along those lines feel organic and natural within the confines of this work.

Damn, I miss it, and it is one of the few instances when I think the show was better than the books.