Television The Expanse (TV Show)

Revan

Assumptionman
New TV show, based on The Expanse series of the books from Daniel Abraham (Long Price Quartet, The Dagger and the Coin) and Ty Franck (assistant of George RR Martin).

The premiere is tomorrow, and the first season is already shot. Here's a trailer:

I guess that the normal rules apply, so no book talk. If there is interest on the books, we should create an another thread (similar to GoT-ASOIAF threads).

I am quite excited for it, especially considering that there hasn't been a good sci-fi since Battlestar Galactica (my favorite TV show). Hopefully, it can be as good as it.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Thought it starts December 12th, same day as The Childhood's End, based on awesome Arthur C. Clarke novel.

EDIT: Not too hot about that trailer of the Expanse though.

Revan

Assumptionman
Thought it starts December 12th, same day as The Childhood's End, based on awesome Arthur C. Clarke novel.

EDIT: Not too hot about that trailer of the Expanse though.
Tomorrow it will get released in streaming services, while on December 12th on Sci-fi.

Haven't heard for the Childhood's End (to my shame, haven't read anything from Clarke), though it looks quite interesting.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just watched the first episode.

I think that it was decent, though not spectacular for a pilot. At times the acting wasn't the best. But then I am not sure that Battlestar Galactica had great acting in the beginning, but soon I fall in love with it. It had definitely a better pilot though.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yep, saw that too. 3 and 4 have been leaked.

2 will be released today in syfy.

Revan

Assumptionman
Watched the second episode. It is a really good TV show, so far they have been doing everything right.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Just watched the first 2, it's interesting but not really grabbed me yet, will keep watching for now.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just watched the first 2, it's interesting but not really grabbed me yet, will keep watching for now.
I like how they are taking the time and doing things slowly (unlike Chidhood's End who has been going very fast).

Stemmy

Second season airs this Wednesday Feb 1st. I really enjoyed the first season.

I believe for international it'll show episode by episode on Netflix after it airs on Syfy in the US?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Watching S1 episode. Battle Star Galactica meets our Solar System.

Haven't thought it great so far

Stemmy

If you're enjoying it even a little rcoobc, I'd encourage you to watch more as the season just gets better as it all starts tying together.

Plus, there's Thomas Jane with the most ridiculous hair you're thankful for fedoras.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
If you're enjoying it even a little rcoobc, I'd encourage you to watch more as the season just gets better as it all starts tying together.

Plus, there's Thomas Jane with the most ridiculous hair you're thankful for fedoras.
Yeah will do. It's not bad, just not as good as some of BSG (especially the opening of the series proper where they are just getting hammered). And the politics is probably better in the book than the show?

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"

Agreed on the hair, it was really distracting me from the show at times as I couldn't think about anything else.

Good show though, really enjoyed the first season.

DadiBG

Should I read the books before watching this?
Not at all. In fact, as far as I understand it season one has parts of the first and the second book, so reading them will spoil some stuff for you from the upcoming season. Plus, it makes complete sense without reading the books and it's not too difficult to keep up with it :)

Revan

Assumptionman
Should I read the books before watching this?
It is the same story, for most part. Books are quite good. I liked the first season, but the books are better.

Saying that, they aren't classics, and while I like them, they have a lot of problems. The characters (bar the main two) aren't very well flashed until the fifth book.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Not at all. In fact, as far as I understand it season one has parts of the first and the second book, so reading them will spoil some stuff for you from the upcoming season. Plus, it makes complete sense without reading the books and it's not too difficult to keep up with it :)
It is the same story, for most part. Books are quite good. I liked the first season, but the books are better.

Saying that, they aren't classics, and while I like them, they have a lot of problems. The characters (bar the main two) aren't very well flashed until the fifth book.
Thanks guys!

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
11 "Safe" February 1
12 "Doors & Corners" February 1
13 "Static" February 8
14 "Godspeed" February 15
15 "Home" February 22

Fracture90

Attention to detail in this show is amazing. Gravity torture, ship deceleration in vacuum of space in order to stop etc.

Pretty good so far, hyped for the 2nd season. Still waiting for them books to come out in my country :(

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Latest episode very good again, things are moving along at a decent pace and I'm pumped for the next episode (and the rest of the season) now.

Also Thomas Jane has another lovely mental haircut.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Latest episode very good again, things are moving along at a decent pace and I'm pumped for the next episode (and the rest of the season) now.

Also Thomas Jane has another lovely mental haircut.
Spoiler :mad:

He's good in this. Do you think there is gonna be any kind of redemption arc for the jarhead. I dislike him, but I dont hate him. He's clearly a cnut... I'm conflicted.

Stemmy

Unless your in the US, then you'll have to torrent unfortunately.

Good episode again, you can really tell the production value has gone up this season. Started listening to the audiobooks again to get caught up. Think I finished reading them at about book 3 or 4

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Spoiler :mad:

He's good in this. Do you think there is gonna be any kind of redemption arc for the jarhead. I dislike him, but I dont hate him. He's clearly a cnut... I'm conflicted.
I'm so sorry, it's so great that it probably did deserve spoiler tags :lol:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Oh yea by jarhead I mean
the one that threw him around the room in episode two (that fight was so one sided)
:lol:

Dumbat12

Oh yea by jarhead I mean
the one that threw him around the room in episode two (that fight was so one sided)
:lol:
His name is Amos.

Just watched the first 2 episodes of season 2 and I have to say, these episodes kept the high quality of the last two episodes from last season. Hope it continues that way.