Television The Expanse (TV Show)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Really enjoying season five so far and trying to get my girlfriend into as well so we watched the first two episodes of season one. She immediately commented what a bad actor Steven Strait is which made me smile as I'm not the only one who thinks that. Think I mentioned it before in this thread and I have not seen him in anything else but I find his acting really cringy at times.
Oh, you’re not the only one. He’s a cardboard Jon Snow with bigger muscles.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Really enjoying season five so far and trying to get my girlfriend into as well so we watched the first two episodes of season one. She immediately commented what a bad actor Steven Strait is which made me smile as I'm not the only one who thinks that. Think I mentioned it before in this thread and I have not seen him in anything else but I find his acting really cringy at times.
100% agree :D He's gotten better, but he's bad. Cas Anvar is too, but he used to get away with because his character is a nice guy until Cas showed he's a horrendous human.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I disagree with you about it being a bore, even on Earth, but there has been some cringe dialogue. There have been some moments where I’m thinking, ‘surely you could’ve at least pretended to be subtle there’.
The worst bit of dialogue so far (I'm only up to ep 4) was Bobby's story of her pet rat.

"I sobbed for days." Or maybe it was "hours". Either way, nobody ever says sobbed.

Ibi Dreams

100% agree :D He's gotten better, but he's bad. Cas Anvar is too, but he used to get away with because his character is a nice guy until Cas showed he's a horrendous human.
The woman who plays Naomi is the worst imo, though it's possibly just more noticeable since she's British and I am too.

My favourite performances are Amos, Bobby and Anderson Dawes. Anderson's belter accent is the best one, a lot of them sound a bit silly but his is cool

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The woman who plays Naomi is the worst imo, though it's possibly just more noticeable since she's British and I am too.

My favourite performances are Amos, Bobby and Anderson Dawes. Anderson's belter accent is the best one, a lot of them sound a bit silly but his is cool
The OG of bad acting in The Expanse has been and remains Avaserawhatshername. She's awful, awful awful. Amongst a lot of other dodgy acting.

Anderson Dawes hasn't been in it for a while now has he?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The OG of bad acting in The Expanse has been and remains Avaserawhatshername. She's awful, awful awful. Amongst a lot of other dodgy acting.

Anderson Dawes hasn't been in it for a while now has he?
I agree, she's terrible.

Shout out to Camina too who is about as believable as a badass space pirate as I am as a ladies man.

Yeah Jared Harris hasn't been in it in ages, assuming because he's been involved in other projects like Chernobyl and Foundation.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I agree, she's terrible.

Shout out to Camina too who is about as believable as a badass space pirate as I am as a ladies man.

Yeah Jared Harris hasn't been in it in ages, assuming because he's been involved in other projects like Chernobyl and Foundation.
Is this the only show enjoyed by many on here but where nearly every main character/actor is considered terrible or unbearable? :lol:

The only real bad actors are Holden and Naomi. The rest are quite enjoyable, Avasarala, Camina, Cas Anvar, etc.

And who else watched this waiting for T Dawg to die? :lol:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Is this the only show enjoyed by many on here but where nearly every main character/actor is considered terrible or unbearable? :lol:

The only real bad actors are Holden and Naomi. The rest are quite enjoyable, Avasarala, Camina, Cas Anvar, etc.

And who else watched this waiting for T Dawg to die? :lol:
Thomas Jane made the first few seasons extremely enjoyable, and Jared Harris was his usual brilliant self.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Thomas Jane made the first few seasons extremely enjoyable, and Jared Harris was his usual brilliant self.
Agree. But Avasarala is truly terrible.

I found the latest episode a bit boring. Naomie's story with her son (also very bad actor) is just boring drama on spaceships and feels like it's been going on forever. Season seems a bit disjointed for the moment.

Massive Spanner

Amos is easily the best character and actor left in it. I also liked Cutty/Fred, shame he's gone. And Thomas Jane pretty much carried the first few seasons, the show has definitely been lacking a good lead since then.

I think the last few episodes have shown that when there's not something big happening and it focuses more on the characters it can be pretty shite.

Along with the charisma of actors such as Thomas Jane, Jarred Harris and David Strathairn, it's missing the otherworldliness of earlier seasons so far (the Julie Mao chase, the interaction with the Miller construct, protomolecule in action, ring gates appearance). I don't mind the larger political angle this season, but Drummer just floating around in space and Naomi's lousy family feud have been a big miss for me. The entire "See what a narcissist and evil villain Marco is and how he manipulates his son?" bit has been really really really hamfisted.

Pagh Wraith

Have to agree on Naomi. She's been my least favourite character from the beginning. Just don't see what she adds to the show. Don't really care about her stupid family feud either. And I wish she'd stop talking in a Belter accent as she's clearly no good at it.

The arc starting halfway through season two about the tensions between Mars and Earth and the protomolecule experiments on children remains the high point of the show for me.

And what a load of rubbish episode 5.07 was. Found myself playing with my phone watching it.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm trying not to see any spoilers (even though I've read the book)... So don't spoil anything motherfeckers...

Do y'all think you're finding it a bit dull due to the 1 per week schedule it's now on? I'm about 3 behind you lot and plan to watch in chunks but I won't lie listening to you is deflating as feck. I had high anticipation/expectations....

But then again, this is redcafe. It's probably fine...

Pagh Wraith

First 5 were really good, last 2 have been a bit boring, calm before the storm and it all heats up though.
True. Didn't mean to paint a too negative picture of season five. The first episodes were really good and episode four is one of the best of the show and all science fiction.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Forgot about Ashford when thinking of great actors on the show. He was great, real tension in his scenes and great charisma. Cutty/Fred great also. Guess he got out too late in this show!

You really see how lame some of the actors are when the good actors are not there to bounce off.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It’s missing the grand mystery of the protomolecule, as well as the acting talent mentioned above to make up for it.

It would have benefited from a binge watch as the suspense for the next episode feels forced in the second half of the season. I’m not hankering to know what the mystical science or unknown enemy will do next...I’d just as soon watch an Amos biopic.

Still better than the large majority of shows out there now, mind, and the first half of the season was good.

parkthebuslads

Just caught up and am enjoying the season (more so than the previous one).
Thoughts:
  • The show is stunning, the best looking show I've seen.
  • Naomi continues to be the absolute worst. Not a fan of the actress or her Belter accent.
  • Marco is poorly cast. He's not presenting as the charismatic leader he's apparently supposed to be. Perhaps should have been an older actor too.
  • I'm enjoying Holdens commitment to delivering every line in the exact same way.
  • Can we get an Amos and Peaches spinoff?
  • The lack of protomolecule content is very disappointing

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Thoughts:
  • Naomi continues to be the absolute worst. Not a fan of the actress or her Belter accent.
  • Marco is poorly cast. He's not presenting as the charismatic leader he's apparently supposed to be. Perhaps should have been an older actor too.
  • I'm enjoying Holdens commitment to delivering every line in the exact same way.
I 100% agree with 90% of this.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Intriguing! Naomi fan?
Nah, her and Holden as two of the remaining leads are what’s dragging the later seasons down. And same as you I want an Amos spin-off.

It is Marco whom I like, but maybe that’s just in part due to his striking appearance. I’m not a good judge of acting talent.

Bobski

Forgot about Ashford when thinking of great actors on the show. He was great, real tension in his scenes and great charisma. Cutty/Fred great also. Guess he got out too late in this show!

You really see how lame some of the actors are when the good actors are not there to bounce off.
Ashford was a fantastic character in the show, very different to the books, his chemistry with Drummer was compelling, a great change to run with that and create new motivations from it.

Excellent show, and without wanting to derail the thread I love how it handles diversity, a light touch, you have a huge spread of culture, sexuality, race, religion but it all feels natural, with realistic conflict which is close enough to mirror real life issues but not take you out of the fictional world.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Ashford was a fantastic character in the show, very different to the books, his chemistry with Drummer was compelling, a great change to run with that and create new motivations from it.
One of the examples of the advantages of having the source writers heavily involved with the show. They created a superb upgrade for Ashford.

Bobski

One of the examples of the advantages of having the source writers heavily involved with the show. They created a superb upgrade for Ashford.
Absolutely, the difference between the likes of GOT which changed characters was stark, Show Ashford fit perfectly into the story without diminishing other characters, and immediately felt authentic in that interpretation.

Ashford and Anderson Dawes are 2 of the best performances in the show.

Hammerfell

Thoughts:
I disagree with 60% of this.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Erich could be interesting addition to set of characters, hopefully they make him something more than he previously was. Great post apocalyptic atmosphere scene with him and Amos talking things out.

Also that Karal character from Inaros' team looks like more interesting villain than Marco himself.

Pagh Wraith

Thoughts:
I for one am 100% in agreement with this.

Simbo

Naomi can't get killed off soon enough for me, bring on some Drummer rage!

Massive Spanner

Yawn again. This is pure shite right now. Completely losing the will to keep watching.

That water bubble scene was so bad :lol:

SirAnderson

So I finally caved and started watching this. Binged 2 seasons in 3 days, and about to start the last episode of season 3. Enjoy the characters and the storyline for the most part.

I don't know...I've enjoyed it in the sense that it gives you something to think about and look forward to finally understanding later on. But in saying that, its also the let down, because just went things get realllly interesting, its the final 2 episodes and its over. Must have been terrible to watch this episode by episode and wait for a new season to come out.

I hope the season that's currently going is the final one? Seems like one of those that need to get to a point or else it will just get "Lost". Pun included.

PS: Holden is a terrible actor and irritating character other than his first season.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Ah okay, think I'm going to stop now at season 3 and wait till that one drops so I can watch them all at once. Feel like the cliffhanger is more bearable than what it will be if I push on to 4, and 5.
That’s not a bad idea. S4 introduces some story arcs that will lead into S5.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Enjoyed the penultimate episode.

I seem to be in the minority here but I've enjoyed all the Earth-based scenes. I also think this has been the actress who plays Naomi's best season for performances.

Unfortunately, Steven Strait seems to get worse with the passing of time, but at least in Marco Inaros they have a villain of equal one-note-ness to balance him out...two negatives make a positive?

My season ranking would be something like this as it stands:

1: 9/10
2: 9/10
3: 8.5/10
4: 7/10
5: 8/10

I have a question for any book readers: does Anderson Dawes continue to be a main side character in the books throughout the series? Answers in spoiler tags, if you please.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Enjoyed the penultimate episode.

I seem to be in the minority here but I've enjoyed all the Earth-based scenes. I also think this has been the actress who plays Naomi's best season for performances.

Unfortunately, Steven Strait seems to get worse with the passing of time, but at least in Marco Inaros they have a villain of equal one-note-ness to balance him out...two negatives make a positive?

My season ranking would be something like this as it stands:

1: 9/10
2: 9/10
3: 8.5/10
4: 7/10
5: 8/10

I have a question for any book readers: does Anderson Dawes continue to be a main side character in the books throughout the series? Answers in spoiler tags, if you please.
We should probably make another thread for that question.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
We should probably make another thread for that question.
Probably.

I should add that I don't want any details, I'm just curious as to whether he was written out purely due to Jared Harris's ever-rising star or if the character also fades into obscurity in the books.