Television The Expanse (TV Show)

Revan

Assumptionman
Good finale to a meh season. Marcos' actor is terrible though. The pilot dying was going to happen cause of the sexual allegations, so was prepared about that.

The final scene (potentially a big spoiler):

I assume those are the Goths, right?

dinostar77

Finished season 4 of the The Expanse. Shame there are so few great gritty space based scifi shows around. We see to get one per decade, last being 04 Battlestar Galactica.

Anyway read the books so i knew what was coming but still good to see it on screen.

Onto season 5, i think the books go downhill after this season personally.

Two whole books about Marco Inaros and nothing about the gate builders or the unknown aggressor who wiped them out

dinostar77

Finished season 5 of The Expanse. The higher budget for cgi and sets is really noticeable. Looks fantastic. Shame they had to rush some of the last epsiode to get it all squeezed in.

Authors of the books confirmed in a recent interview that tv season 6, will follow book 6 and thats our lot on TV.

Hopefully they will come back in the future and finish books 7/8/9 with a follow-up tv series.

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished season 5 of The Expanse. The higher budget for cgi and sets is really noticeable. Looks fantastic. Shame they had to rush some of the last epsiode to get it all squeezed in.

Authors of the books confirmed in a recent interview that tv season 6, will follow book 6 and thats our lot on TV.

Hopefully they will come back in the future and finish books 7/8/9 with a follow-up tv series.
That would be weird. The last scene of the season was clearly hinting for the story of books 7-9.

dinostar77

This the last season then? If you have read the books it wouldnt suprise me if they bought this show back in 10/15/20 years time.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The last two seasons were bang average, hope this is a return to form.
Character development (Burton, Holden, Camina) in season 3 reached maximum potential. If they'll drag it too much with same things, they'll risk going The Walking Dead path. I reckon it's still gonna be good, the whole thing could use just one new ambigous character like Ashford who stole the show for more than few great episodes.

Anyway, December will be crowded with sci-fi / fantasy series so it better return to form or the general momentum will just drop.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The last two seasons were bang average, hope this is a return to form.
Hope so too. Seasons 1-3 were fantastic.

Agree with an earlier post that Inaros just isn't that interesting as a villain, even after getting to know him. Dawes would've been the much better villain because of how charismatic Jared Harris is.

Widow

Love the show. Every single episode and can't wait for it to return.

Sigh TW s2 also on the way, December looks like being a good month

SirAnderson

Just finished season 5 now after telling myself to wait until season 6 dropped and then to binge watch both, now I will have the insufferable task of waiting till December for it to start, worse, till February next year for it to all come out so I can binge watch it.
Part of me glad it is the final season, really looking forward to seeing how it all ends. Hope it will not disappoint, been one heck of a ride.

Revan

Assumptionman
This the last season then? If you have read the books it wouldnt suprise me if they bought this show back in 10/15/20 years time.
I do not think that is the reason. More likely the rating or something not plot related.

Finishing it with movies would be nice but the problem is that the story really starts in the final three books. So there is a shitload of stuff going there to fit only in movies.

lilcurt

I do not think that is the reason. More likely the rating or something not plot related.

Finishing it with movies would be nice but the problem is that the story really starts in the final three books. So there is a shitload of stuff going there to fit only in movies.
I think it will be down to ratings and also sci fi generally costing a lot to produce, Expanse will surely suffer from that looking at the sets.

A shame as my favourite genre of TV and so few shows have a full run.

For those who love this show give Farscape a try. Manages to tell it's whole story, ending in a film and has fantastic character development.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I find a lot of sci fi shows and movies rather samey but Expanse for whatever reason tickles my fancy. Shame about the ratings. I do think the show peaked between s2 and s3 and it tailed off slightly. But it was still something I looked forward to.

I will give Farscape a go, thanks lilcurt.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I’m a little wary of a six episode final season; it is a cursed thing after GoT.

I know it was probably impossible from a practical standpoint immediately following the Amazon takeover, but knowing now how short of a time we have left I wish they’d spent less time on that planet in S4. It would have resulted in a dramatic change in direction halfway through the season, but they had already done a hard 90 turn midway through a season before.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I’m a little wary of a six episode final season; it is a cursed thing after GoT.

I know it was probably impossible from a practical standpoint immediately following the Amazon takeover, but knowing now how short of a time we have left I wish they’d spent less time on that planet in S4. It would have resulted in a dramatic change in direction halfway through the season, but they had already done a hard 90 turn midway through a season before.
It felt like a bit of a wasted season, tbh.

SirAnderson

I find a lot of sci fi shows and movies rather samey but Expanse for whatever reason tickles my fancy. Shame about the ratings. I do think the show peaked between s2 and s3 and it tailed off slightly. But it was still something I looked forward to.

I will give Farscape a go, thanks lilcurt.
Doesn't it have pretty good ratings?

It was so long ago that I watched season 1 through 3, but I recently watched 4 and 5, and thought they were quite good, even though parts or it was dragged on a bit longer than it should have perhaps, but still solid.
Just hoping season 6 delivers the goods.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Seasons 4 and 5 were quite poor (season 4 was just pointless, and half of season 5 was just bad drama with bad actors set in space). Hope this picks up in season 6, otherwise I'll probably just give up on it, despite really enjoying the first 3 seasons.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Seasons 4 and 5 were quite poor (season 4 was just pointless, and half of season 5 was just bad drama with bad actors set in space). Hope this picks up in season 6, otherwise I'll probably just give up on it, despite really enjoying the first 3 seasons.
Amos carried Season 5, without him it would have been a steaming turd of a season.

SirAnderson

Isn't season 6 the last one, and then a movie or something. I kinda enjoyed these past 2 seasons, agree with Redsky, the Amos bit I looked forward to the most, and then Bobbie as well.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Isn't season 6 the last one, and then a movie or something. I kinda enjoyed these past 2 seasons, agree with Redsky, the Amos bit I looked forward to the most, and then Bobbie as well.
It is the last one under the current Amazon contract. Then they can do whatever given they receive funding, and some are talking 3 movies to match the 3 last books.

I haven’t read all the books, but from what I know that’d be difficult a task like @Revan mentioned. Better than nothing though, I suppose.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
First episode of the new season is out now. Sad to say that it just feels like it's lost something that I can't see it getting back.

The guy playing Inaros continues to be annoying with his weird stances and constant head shaking when he speaks.

At least now we know we won't be seeing Jared Harris again!

WPMUFC

I watched the Alt Shift X recap of 1-5, also read the books, I was really hoping to binge 1-6 but i don't think i will now. Some of the changes are way too odd for me as a hardcore book fan.

But more so.....they are ending the TV series at Babylon's Ashes and Marco? Persepolis Rising but more importantly Tiamat's Wrath are so important for setting up the actual ending of the story. Tiamat's Wrath goes full on alien story whilst setting up Leviathan Falls...I really hope they aren't going to just force the ending of the novel story in a season based on BA?

Hamnat

I love the show still. And I am glad Amazon saved it once and got more out of it. I don't know the reasoning for this being the last season. Maybe, the costs or keeping the cast together to get to the other books and finish it out. Not sure. But hopefully we get a self-contained complete story based on what they have given us so far.

I really would like to get to actual "aliens" though. But it seems a bit much to get there with one season left as far as we seem to be from that. I only read the first book before the series started. Never got around to the rest even though I liked it.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I wonder if they're doing it the same as with Bosch, where the show isn't actually ending but becoming a new show with a different name, to more closely reflect the new direction and arcs.

Bobski

This actor playing Rosenfield is totally out of place in the show. Marco is bad enough but together, sheesh.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It’s a shame Marco’s actor doesn’t seem to be coming off well. A great show usually needs great villains.

He looks the part I guess, as he’s supposed to appear charismatic with intense eyes, but he’s too one-note. Maybe he was this boring in the books, I don’t really recall.

Bobski

Aye, she seems miscast to me. Just comes across extremely dull with zero emotion.
Not convincing as a belter at all, like some earther cosplaying as one. One of the shows problems is their best actors have the smaller roles, Miller, Dawes, Ashford, Drummer, she does not continue that problem.

Revan

Assumptionman
It’s a shame Marco’s actor doesn’t seem to be coming off well. A great show usually needs great villains.

He looks the part I guess, as he’s supposed to appear charismatic with intense eyes, but he’s too one-note. Maybe he was this boring in the books, I don’t really recall.
He is very rarely seen in the books. It is mostly the protagonists talking about him, and you hear about his success, but you rarely see him.

Bobski

He looks like an extra in Zoolander, can't take him seriously because of that.

dinostar77

3 episodes left to go in season 6. Last one is apparently 1hr 30min long.

There is talk of a season 7 and beyond but it wont be on amazon. Tbh, if amazon dont want to foot the bill for this series I dont see who will.

It's a shame because I do love the show, though not a fan of the direction the writer of the books went with the last few in the series.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I can't really put my finger on why it's a bit dull. Like episode 3 should have been tense given the setup but it just felt flat to me. You knew they'd escape and you knew the bad guys would live, rendering the confrontation mainly pointless. Like I get the premise, it was in character for the main bad guy to go after them but given he's meant to be some kind of genius tactician it also wasn't as he just gave his position away. He should have shown restraint for the bigger picture as he has been doing for the entire season. Dunno, just felt written in to create some drama because the episode was flat.