Television The Expanse (TV Show)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Duarte‘s voice sounds familiar as hell but I can’t place it. Almost like the dad from Invincible…? But that can’t be it.

Only 6 episodes and they’re just barely over 40 min. runtime so far? Can’t say I’m thrilled about it…

Last edited:

dinostar77

Epsiode 4 done, how is there only 2 episodes left and that's it? So much story to tell. This I'd what annoys me about tv, mindless crap gets renewed and goes on forever, an interesting scifi show struggles to get renewed.

dinostar77

One epsiode to go and its all over. Fecking amazon. This show is so bloody good. Deserves more season. Gutted its ending. One of if not the best space based scifi show of the last 20 years.

Going to give Foundation on appleTV a go. Based on a isaac asimov book apparently. Supposedly very good.

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
One epsiode to go and its all over. Fecking amazon. This show is so bloody good. Deserves more season. Gutted its ending. One of if not the best space based scifi show of the last 20 years.

Going to give Foundation on appleTV a go. Based on a isaac asimov book apparently. Supposedly very good.
There's a not very active thread on here about Foundation. The fact it's pretty inactive, in my opinion, is because the show was not great. It has absolutely amazing opening credits (rivalling The Expanse) and some great moments and actors, but also has a lot of confusing pointless moments.

Back to The Expanse, how on earth are they going to finish this :lol: I'm starting to think it might end in a pretty dark The Empire Strikes Back kinda way to set up for a future movie?

Bobski

I would go as far as saying it is one of the best Sci-Fi shows ever and also an example of a very faithful adaptation. Changes were made of course, but they stayed within reason and often were superbly received, Ashford for example is an entirely different character in the books, but there is nothing about the TV change to him I disliked, he still feels like an Expanse Character. Drummer another one, combined a few characters into her role probably because of time constraints but it works.

To be fair to other adaptations The Expanse has shallower characters than your standard Fantasy/Sci-Fi books, it is more driven by plot, action and politics than the chapter long internal monologues that are a staple of other series. Much easier for a visual medium to adapt.

Going to miss this show, rarely get a sci fi show that good.

As for Foundation, I don't love the books, but if I did I think I would be furious with this show. I

dinostar77

Honestly hope netflix or someone picks this up. I doubt it though, as amazon would have to allow the seasons of The Expanse they filmed onto other streaming platforms.

Its annoying its like GoT hinting at the White Walkers then ending the show before we got to see them on screen.

Why is it really good scifi shows dont get the numbers they need to keep going? Babylon 5, Stargate Universe, Firefly etc.

Well at least we have the reboot of Babylon 5 inbound this year from the original creator of the show.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Some great character moments this episode. Probably the best scenes this season.

In terms of more content to come, I don’t know why they spent valuable time in a season that was only 6ep x ~45min on those strange dogs intros unless they were planting a seed for future stories. It’s cute, I guess.

dinostar77

Major spolier below so dont click on it if you havent read all the books.

How can the Expanse finish without it covering the rise and fall of the laconian empire? Also not cover the species that killed the ring builders?

The scenes that season 6 show of laconia suggests to me that the creators of the tv series are planting the seeds just incase it does get picked up for further seasons by someone else.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Major spolier below so dont click on it if you havent read all the books.

How can the Expanse finish without it covering the rise and fall of the laconian empire? Also not cover the species that killed the ring builders?

The scenes that season 6 show of laconia suggests to me that the creators of the tv series are planting the seeds just incase it does get picked up for further seasons by someone else.
Yeah, hence my Empire Strikes Back comment if they're setting it up for a future movie. It'll be such a shame otherwise.

dinostar77

I was just browsing a reddit thread about the future of the series. Amazon only signed to produce up to season 6. Eventually amazon will loose the rights to the Expanse seasons they created and they will revert back to Alcon Entertainment, the company who own the long term rights to the show.

Alcon have plans for The Expanse for the future. The general consensus was that there would a tv miniseries of some kind to bring the tv show to and end at the same place as the books. All speculation. We'll have to wait and see.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Not too sure about the whole Pet Sematary storyline, but the season has developed nicely and has been very watchable. Just as it was getting up to speed, the whole show might be over. :(

It doesn't feel like they're building up to any kind of huge climax, either. Really hope it gets picked up by someone else or finished off with movies, but I'm not sure of the viability of either of those options if Amazon hasn't gotten enough eyes on it to justify keeping it in its current form.

WPMUFC

This is why I never trust media companies with good SciFi. They either have no clue how to structure it to keep people engaged leading to quick decline, or in this example, are too frightened to commit long term. Then fans are stuck hoping for TV movies or someone else to pick up the rights. I think it's crazy to end this show on the Marco story line considering where the actual story goes.

The Marco story is probably the weakest of the book series and i'm kind of shocked they thought that was worth the ending.

Last edited:

Simbo

Enjoyed this season, back to form. To think there is just 1 episode left though... that has to be a joke.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Watched the first 3, about as meh as it's been for the last few seasons.

Bar a few good stretches of episodes in the first 3 seasons it's been a painfully average show, overall. Not sure why it gets such hype, maybe because people are starved for a decent sci-fi.

dinostar77

Just completed season 1 of Foundation on AppleTV. Visually utterly stunning. Some of the most iconic visuals ive seen in a scifi show. Puts big budget scifi movies to shame.

Season 2 has been green lit by apple. Remains to be seen if we get the full 8 seasons as planned by the creators.

Never read the books, but the show itself was an entertaining watch, some individual storylines better than others. Big fan of the cleon "empire" story. Best of the show and keen to see where it goes from here.

Show has been influenced by scifi movies (obviously) i.e 2001 Space Oddessy, Star Wars etc. Also influenced by games i.e. Mass Effect.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Bar a few good stretches of episodes in the first 3 seasons it's been a painfully average show, overall. Not sure why it gets such hype, maybe because people are starved for a decent sci-fi.
Yet here you are watching the 6th season.... to completion no less :smirk:

dinostar77

One of the best things about The Expanse is how realistically it portrays technology and science. Ok apart from epsien drive, the juice and protomolocule. The rest is grounded in reality in a way star trek for example has never been.

There are some things that have been ignored i.e. no sound in vacuum that is space, but sound is needed for the viewer. Also budget limitations mean there is only so much zero g, or low gravity stuff they can do.

Its not hard to envisage that in the next 1000 years we could have colonies on the moon, mars, asteroid belt and beyond. People who are born in these places and never visit Earth in their lifetime. How would living generationally on other planets, moons etc affect human physiology? Earth would still be the cradle of civilisation but would it still be home if you were a martian? The Expanse raises some interesting questions...

afrocentricity

A show doesn't have to be great for me to watch it til the end. It's a perfectly fine show that I've invested a lot of time into so why wouldn't I?
I'm just wondering why you'd bother based on your description of the series as a whole, but then I took your post at face value and not one of those 'exaggerate everything!!!' type posts... never mind.

One of the best things about The Expanse is how realistically it portrays technology and science. Ok apart from epsien drive, the juice and protomolocule. The rest is grounded in reality in a way star trek for example has never been.

There are some things that have been ignored i.e. no sound in vacuum that is space, but sound is needed for the viewer. Also budget limitations mean there is only so much zero g, or low gravity stuff they can do.

Its not hard to envisage that in the next 1000 years we could have colonies on the moon, mars, asteroid belt and beyond. People who are born in these places and never visit Earth in their lifetime. How would living generationally on other planets, moons etc affect human physiology? Earth would still be the cradle of civilisation but would it still be home if you were a martian? The Expanse raises some interesting questions...
One of the things I love most about the show, so scientifically grounded... Did you see the puke in helmet scene? :lol:

Massive Spanner

I'm just wondering why you'd bother based on your description of the series as a whole, but then I took your post at face value and not one of those 'exaggerate everything!!!' type posts... never mind.

One of the things I love most about the show, so scientifically grounded... Did you see the puke in helmet scene? :lol:
Why are you so touchy? What am I exaggerating?

I agree with dinostar that the best thing about it is the science, one of the main things that keeps me watching.

afrocentricity

Why are you so touchy? What am I exaggerating?

I agree with dinostar that the best thing about it is the science, one of the main things that keeps me watching.
I'm giving you a bit of needle as it's one of my pet peeves....

This was your post:

Now excuse me if I took that at face value and wondered why you stuck with a painfully average show that was mostly filler etc... Take your own advice and stop being so touchy :p

Anyway, I think it's a good show that more often than not is very engaging, I have fonder memories from the books but hey... I've rewatched the first 3 seasons 3 or 4 times so... yeah. I'm predicting either an incredibly underwhelming finish or a fecked up cliff hanger.

Massive Spanner

I'm giving you a bit of needle as it's one of my pet peeves....

This was your post:

Now excuse me if I took that at face value and wondered why you stuck with a painfully average show that was mostly filler etc... Take your own advice and stop being so touchy :p

Anyway, I think it's a good show that more often than not is very engaging, I have fonder memories from the books but hey... I've rewatched the first 3 seasons 3 or 4 times so... yeah. I'm predicting either an incredibly underwhelming finish or a fecked up cliff hanger.
I mean, I'm allowed express an opinion. I always find it weird when people get touchy when someone doesn't like a show as much as they do.

I also never said it was mostly filler, just that a lot of plot lines haven't been engaging enough.

MadMike

Would you recommend reading the books after having watched the show? Is there significant development that is left out of the show?

dinostar77

Yes that was great. "Peaches" really did make a mess.

afrocentricity

Would you recommend reading the books after having watched the show? Is there significant development that is left out of the show?
Yes I would, there are more story arcs and notes, as well as differences. I imagined some things very differently, some better some worse. (the show is past where I'm up to but I'm definitely gonna go back and finish reading them)

I mean, I'm allowed express an opinion. I always find it weird when people get touchy when someone doesn't like a show as much as they do.

I also never said it was mostly filler, just that a lot of plot lines haven't been engaging enough.
Lighten up fella... why so glum?

Yes that was great. "Peaches" really did make a mess.
The sickest was the slingshot gate entry attempt in season 3 I think :nervous:

dinostar77

The books are a good read or listen to i.e. audible. Where the show is ending on tv, there are a further 4 books that go beyond the tv ending point and some major plot lines and suprises. So definitely worth a read.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The books are a good read or listen to i.e. audible. Where the show is ending on tv, there are a further 4 books that go beyond the tv ending point and some major plot lines and suprises. So definitely worth a read.
Yeah the audibles were good quality as far as I can recall. And it’ll feel somewhat fresh as the show combined/eliminated certain characters.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I can’t believe they
shortchanged Naomi regarding her last-minute investigation that finds out how to cook the ships approaching the station. That was peak Expanse…and it should have been so easy to adapt; like season 5 it was almost like it was written for television but they didn’t take full advantage.

I don’t care about the integrity of the adaptation to the books, just the clearly missed opportunities to improve the dramatic quality of the show. Similar to The Witcher, in a way.

Nerd rant over, I guess.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Second half of the season was a step up from the first. Thought the finale was about as good as could have been expected given the build-up. I liked the way Inaros went out, rather than in a shootout or killed by his own son.

They wrapped things up neatly enough but left plenty there for a potential future on another network. Let the petitioning begin!

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I can’t believe they
shortchanged Naomi regarding her last-minute investigation that finds out how to cook the ships approaching the station. That was peak Expanse…and it should have been so easy to adapt; like season 5 it was almost like it was written for television but they didn’t take full advantage.

I don’t care about the integrity of the adaptation to the books, just the clearly missed opportunities to improve the dramatic quality of the show. Similar to The Witcher, in a way.

Nerd rant over, I guess.
Yeah, as I was watching it, I was thinking I wish they'd dragged that out way way more.

Pretty sad it's finished though overall.

dinostar77

They needed more epsiodes. Rushed ending. But left open incase someone does pick it up for season 7. I really hope so.

Amazon epsiode description says season finale not series finale, so theres hope.....

Also did you guys notice the Aliens reference to the colonial marines?

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Great finale. Rest of the season was poor though. No idea why they wasted so much time on Naomi’s angsty son instead of more interesting stuff.

still think the earlier seasons were the best. Show kinda lost its way after Thomas Jane left.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Bobski

Loved it from the start to end(if this is the end with so much good material still to draw on) and it is a show that benefited hugely from having the authors on hand to keep it true to the source, the vast majority of the changes felt like logical choices based on the medium and time constraints, or alternatives that the authors might have chosen. Very rarely did it feel like the usual Genre TV writer self insert berating the viewer with a message. Not that The Expanse was apolitical, far from it, more that they did it in a way that rarely broke immersion and ran in step with the plot and characters.

We need more great Sci-Fi, so much story telling potential in the genre, and there is a vast amount of superb work out there to adapt if the original ideas are not there. However I look a show with the quality of The Expanse scraping and struggling from Sci-Fi to Netflix to Prime and it disheartens me. This show could have been Game Of Thrones for Sci Fi, crossover appeal, making the genre commercially viable with a load of other shows trying to take up the slot. Doubt it will happen. Look at this thread, 14 pages in 6 years for a show of this quality.

Last edited:

Hamnat

Just finished it and I was happy with it. Sure I think there are some things that they could have left out in the season to give a more well-rounded "final season" in whole. But, I think overall they did an amazing job. Considering the show could have ended very early seasons ago with the ending on cable. Being given a second chance on Amazon prime with a far bigger budget I appreciate that. We got more from some of these great characters, and I can't be upset at that.

Given that there is more that can be explored from the novels, I only finished the first so far, maybe there is still hope for someone else to pick up the mantle. All these streaming services looking for content this is a great one to get more out of that hasn't been done before.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Vastly underestimated the easter egg in the season finale of the Expanse.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-expanse-series-finale-easter-eggs/

We have:
Aliens
Halo
Mass Effect
Dune
2001 Space Oddessy
The last starfighter
Return of the jedi
Total Recall
Galaxy Quest
Interstellar
Blade Runner
Minoroty Report
Stargate SG1

Thats one badass assault team.
Just watched and started chuckling when I saw the names, had to pause it and go back to have a proper look. I got almost all of them, but there are a couple I have no clue about.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
They needed more epsiodes. Rushed ending. But left open incase someone does pick it up for season 7. I really hope so.

Amazon epsiode description says season finale not series finale, so theres hope.....

Also did you guys notice the Aliens reference to the colonial marines?
Yep…go look a bit closer that entire screen is a tribute to a lot of different sci-fi shows & films.