The F1 Thread 2011 Season

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well the 2010 season has now finished and tyre testing for the pirelli's gets underwat next week so it's time to look to 2011! Looking forward to seeing Seb with the number 1 and double laurels on his car :drool:

First bit of news I've seen is that Hulkenburg has been let go by Williams and Barichello is carrying on into a remarkable 19th season in F1, he's like motorsports Ryan Giggs!

McLaren and Ferrari are certain to retain their drivers into next year, but despite Red Bull's contract position there is doubt as to whether Webber will continue in the team. Renault are sure to retain Kubica unless he is offered a better gig, but Petrov may find himself looking for a drive.

Mercedes will surely hold on to both Rosberg and Schumacher, while BMW would seem to have little reason to make any changes with Heidfeld and the exciting Kobayashi. Force India have also had a good season again, seemingly punching above their weight at times but progressing nicely for a new team on the grid. Their drivers have by and large done well but as Vijay Mallya has eyes higher up the WCC table will he look to bring in someone new?

From there we are left with Torro Rosso, Lotus, HRT and Virgin, who may make changes for any number of reasons with sponsorships and pay drivers providing much needed income for the teams at the smaller end of Formula 1.

The new year, as always, brings a raft of changes with the cars, with the return of KERS, the removal of double diffusers and F Ducts and perhaps the biggest change being the move to Pirelli rubber. The teams will surely have their hands full with designing their new specs, but it should make for an interesting season. Will we see a Brawn-esque leap to the front from one of the smaller teams through a clever interpretation of a regulation?

One thing is for sure, it's going to be a long wait to February when the covers start coming off the new chassis'!

Rooney1987

I read on Autosport Petrov might renew his deal with Renault.

It will be very intresting to see what Brawn and Merc will come up with as they stop work on the 2010 car half way through the year to work on the 2011 car. We know what happened last time Brawn did this.

pauldyson1uk

Looking forward to next season already.
Did hear on BBC yesterday that Mercedes and the most advance with this new KERS system.
Pirelli rubber is going to be a massive learning curve for both team and company and I can see a few problems with that.
The Indian GP should be interesting if the track gets sorted in time , hopefully it will be a passing track and not like the other new ones.
Its only 116 day till P1 in Bahrain

Leg-End

Mercedes are thought to have the best KERS system right now and they will provide it to any Mercedes powered cars I think so McLaren should again have the best KERS system of the top teams unless Mercedes themselves hit back next season.

The weight of the cars is going to be raised to 640kg which is interesting as I am pretty sure I also heard they are no longer allowed to place too much ballast all over the car. And ofcourse it also offsets some of the KERS weight penalty abit.

Hitchcocker

FFS who does Massa blow to remain at Ferrari?

I don't care who the fecker's agent is, he's utter wank.

Hitchcocker

Were you saying that in '08?
Even if you won't believe me when I say this now, I always never believed Massa to be championship material. If he had won that title, he'd be the worst world champion since Jacques but now we've got Button for that.

Leg-End

Even if you won't believe me when I say this now, I always never believed Massa to be championship material. If he had won that title, he'd be the worst world champion since Jacques but now we've got Button for that.
Here we go, page 1 of the new F1 thread and already it starts.

Leg-End

Yeah you don't rate Massa and I don't disagree but why does the worst world champion have to come into it? There is no such thing as a bad World Champion.

Hitchcocker

Yeah you don't rate Massa and I don't disagree but why does the worst world champion have to come into it? There is no such thing as a bad World Champion.
Yes there is if you compare the World Champions among each other.

Leg-End

Wasn't even born when he won the title.
Neither was I but how can you judge Villeneuve or Button to be the worst world champions without looking back throughout history? Villeneuve won 7 races in his title year, Button won 6, Vettel won 5 this season. Race wins ofcourse are not the main factor in judging how good a drivers championship is but if you judge them on the year they won their title they are nowhere near the worst champions of all time.

Hitchcocker

Neither was I but how can you judge Villeneuve or Button to be the worst world champions without looking back throughout history? Villeneuve won 7 races in his title year, Button won 6, Vettel won 5 this season. Race wins ofcourse are not the main factor in judging how good a drivers championship is but if you judge them on the year they won their title they are nowhere near the worst champions of all time.
I don't appreciate having words placed in my mouth. Nowhere did I say Villenueve or Button were the worst in history.

Leg-End

Fair point you said since. But pinpoint for me exactly why did you choose Button & Villenueve?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Schumacher to take Webbers place? :D Wonder if there are any odds.

Seriously though I think he needs a better car this year, he will rejuvinate himself.
A driver's marker is always his team mate, MSC underperformed in 2011. He should have left his career where it was and been remembered for the great driver that he was.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's a long time until winter testing, we gotta argue about something.
ha true, well I'll throw my 2p's worth in then - every World Champion is a worthy one, the cars don't drive themselves.

Button was excellent in 09, and it's just silly to call him a bad WDC.

phelans shorts

Rosbergs twitter.

Nice way to finish the season with 4th!Had a big pool team party last night. Everyone thrown in. Now sitting in police car as I got stopped

police let me go after1hr in station.missed out on party+Had2call my dad to get my liscence from my room.he was not amused.Now dubai cycling

:lol:

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I can see Mercedes and Schumacher having a better season. Rosberg will still be the main man for them though.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Shame about Hulkenburg. I think he is a quick guy. It is a shame that Williams will probably have to go with someone who brings in some money.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

phelans shorts

Bruno senna, karun chandhok and Lucas di grassi are quite regular tweeters (predominantly the first two)

EDIT: Gascoyne always updates from the pit wall too, let's you "feel" how the track evolves

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Anyone have any idea about any big rule changes for next year?

I saw it mentioned on BBC that KERS is back for next year. Anything else?

Hopefully Pirelli bring tires that have a bigger difference between hard and softs to mix things a little.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I remember reading the whole FIA release last year about the rule changes being brought in over a few years but for the life of me can't remember them all. The press release and all the regulations will be on the website though. The FIA site is pretty good..

F-Red

Anyone have any idea about any big rule changes for next year?

I saw it mentioned on BBC that KERS is back for next year. Anything else?

Hopefully Pirelli bring tires that have a bigger difference between hard and softs to mix things a little.
Adjustable rear wings was mentioned in yesterdays race by Brundle.