Television The Falcon & The Winter Soldier

Sylar

Out today. Bumping this thread as its hidden away, heh.

But should be the usual fun Marvel affair after the mysteries behind Wandavision.
Looking forward to this for some good action and light fun :)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Anthony Mackie is a charisma vacuum
Yeah this is my biggest problem with it, he's such a crap actor. He ruined Altered Carbon season two. I do like Sebastian Stan though and his character has been largely explored so far.

I'll probably watch it, I guess 40 minutes of Marvel big budget silliness a week isn't a bad way to spend lockdown.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Looking forward to watching this later, should be more of traditional MCU show with lots of action & fun compared to WandaVision (which I loved).

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Just watched it, I liked it a lot. Done a great job in making falcon and the winter soldier more "human" (how do superheroes support themselves?).

Got a lot of time for Bucky channeling his inner Ollie Queen too.

Hamnat

Strong first episode. Action sequences just as big and cinematic as you would expect from any blockbuster movie. But, they also really seem to be digging deep into Sam, and Bucky's characters here in a very good way. I really liked how they in just the first episode started digging really deep into who they are and how they interact with the new world after Endgame.

What motivates them, family life, everyday interactions we knew nothing about. A lot of potential here. And should be an easy jump on point for anyone put off with the more fantastical, cerebral settings of WandaVision.

The bank scene with Sam and his sister was very interesting. A mundane interaction but you see that being a super hero that isn't a billionaire doesnt really pay the bills. You can be an actual Avenger and can't get a business loan.

Last edited:

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What happened to that serum and the machine that they used to make the original Cap? Could they not just do it again on somebody with charisma instead of using this blurt and the Six Million Dollar Bucky.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
They wasted no time getting to the big explosions :lol:

Solid start. I liked how they focused on the struggles with them getting back to “normal” life after The Blip, especially Bucky’s struggles & him befriending that civilian’s dad.

6 months after the events of Endgame, I think that puts it further in the timeline than Spider-Man: Far From Home?!

Last edited:

el3mel

Quite decent start, I won't say spectacular in any way but it's interesting enough to follow, and the story is still not clear yet.

I didn't like the shaky cameras and the direction felt a little bit off in some scenes but mostly it's alright.

Let's see where this is going.

Smores

Enjoyed it more than i expected as like others i don't really care for actors or characters. Somehow a decent enough watch, maintaining low expectations though.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Has kept me interested enough to keep watching

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It was very much standard MCU, a bit meh

I loved the direction Wandavision took. Something different.

I will watch this new show and I enjoyed some of the winter soldier stuff with him dealing with his past, the Falcon stuff I thought was very bog standard, a bit of a cliche wasn’t it?

Edit: I actually hate when people say “meh” and I just did. Whoops

Sandyman

It was very much standard MCU, a bit meh

I loved the direction Wandavision took. Something different.

I will watch this new show and I enjoyed some of the winter soldier stuff with him dealing with his past, the Falcon stuff I thought was very bog standard, a bit of a cliche wasn’t it?

Edit: I actually hate when people say “meh” and I just did. Whoops
I thought the opposite. You don't see a "superhero" struggling to make ends meet in real life often, do you.

Overall, it was a good episode.

el3mel

I thought the opposite. You don't see a "superhero" struggling to make ends meet in real life often, do you.

Overall, it was a good episode.
I mean, superhero or not he still needs a job as a source of income.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What happened to that serum and the machine that they used to make the original Cap? Could they not just do it again on somebody with charisma instead of using this blurt and the Six Million Dollar Bucky.
Watch the first MCU Captain America film and you'll find out. That's your homework for the weekend.

el3mel

:lol:

Yeah but they don't focus much on that. Who wasn't excited to see Tobey Maguire running around delivering pizza in Spiderman 2 :p
In fairness Spider-Man always struggled for money. Even in the current Spencer's run in the comics he had to work as a sponsor for a newspaper to earn his living.

Hamnat

In fairness Spider-Man always struggled for money. Even in the current Spencer's run in the comics he had to work as a sponsor for a newspaper to earn his living.
Marvel is in general pretty good about having that "everyday" struggle feel to their heroes. Most of the X-Men live off the few billionaires in their ranks with the huge global corporations etc. Then you have the super geniuses like Stark, Reed, Pym, T'challa all their patents and wealth from that.

And the everyday joes which is most everyone else. Daredevil's money is from his lawyer salary etc. Spider Man has always worked. She-Hulk is a lawyer. In the context of the show showing that they aren't in this for the "fame and riches" because they aren't hand in hand as we see. They are doing the hero work out of duty, out of a real want to save the world and protect people. Serves to give them a depth and keep them "relatable" and interesting.

el3mel

Marvel is in general pretty good about having that "everyday" struggle feel to their heroes. Most of the X-Men live off the few billionaires in their ranks with the huge global corporations etc. Then you have the super geniuses like Stark, Reed, Pym, T'challa all their patents and wealth from that.

And the everyday joes which is most everyone else. Daredevil's money is from his lawyer salary etc. Spider Man has always worked. She-Hulk is a lawyer. In the context of the show showing that they aren't in this for the "fame and riches" because they aren't hand in hand as we see. They are doing the hero work out of duty, out of a real want to save the world and protect people. Serves to give them a depth and keep them "relatable" and interesting.
I don't think this is specific for Marvel. DC also had their heroes having their own jobs in their real identity to earn their living. Superman doesn't earn money from saving the world, his work as a journalist does. It makes perfect sense because, yeah, this is how world works. The government isn't going to pay them for saving the world.

Hamnat

I don't think this is specific for Marvel. DC also had their heroes having their own jobs in their real identity to earn their living. Superman doesn't earn money from saving the world, his work as a journalist does. It makes perfect sense because, yeah, this is how world works. The government isn't going to pay them for saving the world.
You are right I wasn't intending to do a DC vs Marvel heroes comparison in the comment but I see it can come out that way.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Better than expected. I've never found Falcon a particularly interesting character, which doesn't help, but Bucky has a lot of miles in him.

Norris

Echo those who said the Bucky's story feels a little more interesting than Falcon's at the moment. It's still very early stages though. I remember dislinking Wandavision for the first 2 episodes as well.

Hoof the ball

- The action set-piece with Falcon flying and fighting the bad guys in the flying suits was pretty cool. Almost Mission Impossible in feel. Mackie is very good with the fight choreography, to his credit; it's when the mask comes off and he's just acting where it falters.

- Bucky storyline of his list of redemption and mental health issues/psychiatrist is intriguing. This is definitely the hook for me.