Television The Falcon & The Winter Soldier

Robertd0803

Wasnt as instantly hooked like with Wanda Vision. Sams story isnt as interesting as Buckys at the moment. Seeing how he deals with his past was fascinating.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah it's not as interesting from the off as Wanda, but then it doesn't need to be as different as that was. I like the stuff with Bucky and Falcon's fight scenes were pretty good.

Like others have said though, Mackie is a charisma vacuum.

Drifter

American
Very average beginning to the series. Can't say I really cared for both characters, but I'll stick with it in case I miss something related to the larger MCU.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm sure they'll end up making us like him but I just don't find Falcon's charatcer particularly interesting. The Winter Soldier's a pretty interesting character but I've found his MCU adaptation to be a little dull, this show will probably hinge on whether or not Stan or Mackie have any charisma and chemistry. Like other's have said, Wandavision was a lot more interesting to start off with, I've got faith in the MCU so I'll give it a good few episodes.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Neither character really grabbed me in the movies they were in. I also still blame Mackie for being such a shite Kovacs that Altered Carbon was cancelled.

GBBQ

I'm sure they'll end up making us like him but I just don't find Falcon's charatcer particularly interesting. The Winter Soldier's a pretty interesting character but I've found his MCU adaptation to be a little dull, this show will probably hinge on whether or not Stan or Mackie have any charisma and chemistry. Like other's have said, Wandavision was a lot more interesting to start off with, I've got faith in the MCU so I'll give it a good few episodes.
People had binned off Wandavision up until episode 3/4. The first two episodes were very poorly received by most. Not saying this will follow the same trajectory but I do at least expect things to improve when they team up and we get more of Daniel Bruhl.

Sylar

People had binned off Wandavision up until episode 3/4. The first two episodes were very poorly received by most. Not saying this will follow the same trajectory but I do at least expect things to improve when they team up and we get more of Daniel Bruhl.
Is this right? From what I saw, a lot of people liked it? Are there any viewing figures to support this?

b82REZ

Is this right? From what I saw, a lot of people liked it? Are there any viewing figures to support this?
Go back and look at some of the posts on here.

Critically it was well received, but I think reviewers got to see the whole series, or at least a few of the early episodes. A lot of the general public bitched and moaned about the sitcom episodes early on.

Sylar

Go back and look at some of the posts on here.

Critically it was well received, but I think reviewers got to see the whole series, or at least a few of the early episodes. A lot of the general public bitched and moaned about the sitcom episodes early on.
So when you say most, you mean a few here. I don't think red cafe posters are indicative of overall habits
. When you say a lot, again, I will dispute that unless you have proof of that to show the drop in numbers based on the early episodes

GBBQ

So when you say most, you mean a few here. I don't think red cafe posters are indicative of overall habits
. When you say a lot, again, I will dispute that unless you have proof of that to show the drop in numbers based on the early episodes
Jesus, chill out. When did the caf become a bastion of accurate speaking. Plenty of people didn't like the first two episodes and not just here. On Reddit, IMDB, metacritic there was quite a number of negative reviews.

Oldyella

I don't think it lost numbers, but there was a lot of online grumbling. But like this, MCU has a lot of credit in the bank and people were willing to give it time.

Bucky is definitely the more interesting character but he's been fleshed out far more already. Falcons whole thing is basically thats he's friends with Steve, hardly a great character hook. But I'm interested to see what they do with him here.

b82REZ

I never claimed there was a drop off in numbers and frankly I couldn't care less if there was.

I'm giving you anecdotal evidence, not just based on the premature criticism on the caf. Reddit wasn't particularly enamoured with the early episodes.

To gauge an idea of what the initial reception was have a gander at the thread on here. If you want analytics get in touch with Disney and let us know.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
- The action set-piece with Falcon flying and fighting the bad guys in the flying suits was pretty cool. Almost Mission Impossible in feel. Mackie is very good with the fight choreography, to his credit; it's when the mask comes off and he's just acting where it falters.
I have to say, considering that the baddies only had gravity and their costumes to change their speed or direction and Falcon had the ability to instantly change his direction & gain and lose speed with the engine on his back, he was really fecking inefficient.

Sylar

Jesus, chill out. When did the caf become a bastion of accurate speaking. Plenty of people didn't like the first two episodes and not just here. On Reddit, IMDB, metacritic there was quite a number of negative reviews.
I'm confused
You're telling me to chill out but I'm genuinely asking a question
Im not mad or anything so am not sure why you are.

I saw lots and lots of positive reviews from critics, fans and even new people checking it out, hence why I'm questioning the a lot / majority / most aspect

I never claimed there was a drop off in numbers and frankly I couldn't care less if there was.

I'm giving you anecdotal evidence, not just based on the premature criticism on the caf. Reddit wasn't particularly enamoured with the early episodes.

To gauge an idea of what the initial reception was have a gander at the thread on here. If you want analytics get in touch with Disney and let us know.
GBBQ stated it was binned off and poorly received 'by most' but then used a few red cafe posters as the source.

But yeah , that thread was a mix of liking it vs not liking it like every thread ever on this forum.

And of course I'd love to know the numbers as analytics is something I do and it intrigues me. I can't find any regarding it so anybody who makes a claim like he did, im fascinated to know how they come to the conclusion. I never said you mentioned a drop off, the reason I brought it up was the post by GBBQ. If there was a drop off like he indicates it would be in the numbers

I don't think it lost numbers, but there was a lot of online grumbling. But like this, MCU has a lot of credit in the bank and people were willing to give it time.
I saw a lot of
'Where is this going'
'It's slow'
I won't disagree I saw that. But hardly the stuff gbbq claimed and him getting worked up because I merely questioned how he came to the conclusion

Really odd people would get offended at being questioned on a forum when there is genuine interest on it

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

I have to say, considering that the baddies only had gravity and their costumes to change their speed or direction and Falcon had the ability to instantly change his direction & gain and lose speed with the engine on his back, he was really fecking inefficient.
:lol: That much is true. Literally every advantage in the air. It's like a shark not being able to catch up with some asthmatic humans in a wide open sea.

GBBQ

I'm confused
You're telling me to chill out but I'm genuinely asking a question
Im not mad or anything so am not sure why you are.

I saw lots and lots of positive reviews from critics, fans and even new people checking it out, hence why I'm questioning the a lot / majority / most aspect
You were being pedantic about a flippant phrase I used when responding to another poster and then challenging other posters to show viewing numbers to support their statements. The feedback on the first two episodes is definitely a lot less enthusiastic than the later episodes. That's evident in redcafe, reddit, imdb ratings and Metacritic. Ok its not most but to illustrate the fact that we shouldn't be judging a show on its pilot episode its a fair overall point to make.

Sylar

You were being pedantic about a flippant phrase I used when responding to another poster and then challenging other posters to show viewing numbers to support their statements. The feedback on the first two episodes is definitely a lot less enthusiastic than the later episodes. That's evident in redcafe, reddit, imdb ratings and Metacritic. Ok its not most but to illustrate the fact that we shouldn't be judging a show on its pilot episode its a fair overall point to make.
I never challenged anybody. Again, im not sure why youre getting so angry about this, I was curious because I havent actually seen the numbers and am intrigued to see the stats behind it.

But regardless, anyway, i agree with the bolded :)

Sylar

I liked the episode..

Interesting take with the captain America stuff. Can see it being too big for the guy to take on (his face or mouth is weird, not sure what it is, makes him look like a cocky villain)

Also bringing back a villain for the next episode

Bucky and sams chemistry has been good so far especially with the psychiatric

Hamnat

It's really good so far. I have to say I underestimated this series a bit thinking it would be pretty generic. They are touching on some potential hotbutton political and social themes here in a cool way by adding the "super hero" element. And reading a few interviews with the creative team which apparently was very diverse they don't get shy with continuing the storyline.

I wasn't aware they were going to introduce Isaiah Bradley. That was a short scene but it was poignant really. Black people being experimented on and used in government lab experiments and as guinea pigs has a dark history in America. Also introduced to another Young Avenger in that scene Patriot ,Eli Bradley. Follow that up with the cops harassing Sam in the streets for daring to have an intense conversation with Bucky. I mean it's real. It happens everyday here, but Disney went there and didn't shy away from the reality.

I like that they are giving John Walker decent screen time. Last episode we were given his smarmy introduction from Sam's point of view watching the reveal. Now we get to see him as a person. It was an interesting episode he wasn't written as one dimensional really. He was given the time to have some layers here to his character from the scene before his intro in the football game and interview with Good Morning America. To his later interaction with Bucky and Sam.

Sylar

So when do we expect Bucky to finally turn into a green Rabbit ?
Won't happen but rabbit from gotg (raccoon really) should try and come for his arm

It's really good so far. I have to say I underestimated this series a bit thinking it would be pretty generic. They are touching on some potential hotbutton political and social themes here in a cool way by adding the "super hero" element. And reading a few interviews with the creative team which apparently was very diverse they don't get shy with continuing the storyline.

I wasn't aware they were going to introduce Isaiah Bradley. That was a short scene but it was poignant really. Black people being experimented on and used in government lab experiments and as guinea pigs has a dark history in America. Also introduced to another Young Avenger in that scene Patriot ,Eli Bradley. Follow that up with the cops harassing Sam in the streets for daring to have an intense conversation with Bucky. I mean it's real. It happens everyday here, but Disney went there and didn't shy away from the reality.

I like that they are giving John Walker decent screen time. Last episode we were given his smarmy introduction from Sam's point of view watching the reveal. Now we get to see him as a person. It was an interesting episode he wasn't written as one dimensional really. He was given the time to have some layers here to his character from the scene before his intro in the football game and interview with Good Morning America. To his later interaction with Bucky and Sam.
The police thing was well done imo. The bank scene was too

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Really good episode. I’m loving them referring to Bucky’s history when he was under Hydra & how much he did when he was being controlled. The soul gazing :lol:

The scene with Isaiah & then immediately after with the cops was powerful. Hopefully his appearance wasn’t just an Easter egg & we get to see him again later on.

Can’t wait for them to get to Zemo.

I’m not sure about Walker. On one hand he seems a decent bloke who is trying to be his own version of Cap, but then he has that face & I’m hoping Bucky crushes his face with the shield.

el3mel

Great episode. The interaction between Sam and Bucky was hilarious. The chemistry between them is really well done.

Nice take on the new Cap not being just a cheap imposter and actually can hold himself quite well in battle even though he lacks against super powered fighters. Sam is coming out of this looking like a coward who couldn't take the responsibility for the shield though.

Norris

Better episode than the first. They've touched on some very modern day topics as well and you can sort of see that their chemistry is getting better.

The Isaih thing was really well done too.

The new Cap looked like a decent guy at the start of the episode but is turning into a bit of a A**hole towards the end of it.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Good episode, has exceeded my expectations so far.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Really strong second episode. The chemistry between the two of them is bang on. I thought they wove the mental health and racial prejudices they both face excellently in the scenes around the Isaiah visit. It established them as B-listers as well, The Falcon not being instantly recognised by the cop and Bucky being arrested for missing his appointment.

decorativeed

Enjoyed this episode and intrigued to see where they are going with this.

Sick of seeing female British actors doing that fake accent in things at the moment though. It sounds so inauthentic. Erin Kellyman is apparently from the Midlands, so that's obviously not how she would naturally speak. Hollywood casting people must be directing them to 'do a British accent', and as such we end up with everyone sounding like Daisy bloody Ridley.

reelworld

I just learned that the actor who played Wallmart Cap is Kurt Russell son. That explains the chin and the jaw line.

Loving it so far. Looking forward what Marvel wants to bring with Isaiah Bradley revelation. It was a pretty grim story in the comics

Sylar

I just learned that the actor who played Wallmart Cap is Kurt Russell son. That explains the chin and the jaw line.
Oh wow, now that you have said that, I can totally see the resemblance. Mad.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Excellent episode
Give me more Sharon Carter. Does anyone know if she was blipped? Probably the only semi major character that wasn't in Endgame.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Best episode so far. Zemo’s a very good character & adds a nice dynamic to the Bucky-Sam relationship, which is getting better each week. Sharon being a badass was awesome & the ending was cool.

The way Sharon left the fight & her rich lifestyle, I’m going to guess...she’s The Power Broker & is using the lads to track down Karli.

Hamnat

This was the best episode yet. It keeps getting better. Madripoor was amazing and its the biggest X-men related nugget we have gotten in the MCU so far. There are so many X-men stories and characters tied to Madripoor they can go anywhere with now.

Zemo teaming up with the boys was bad ass. He went full Baron on us and it was awesome. Sharon got a much needed darker tinge to her here after 7 years on the run. It all felt natural as well she was a fully trained Shield agent who, had to go underground in the capital of the MCU crime world. I enjoyed all of her scenes this episode the fighting style was gritty and appropriately brutal. There really is so much they can do with her now.

There are so many conflicting side motivations all the characters have. Like literally EVERYONE has an ulterior motive even in the team ups. So anyone can go sideways at any point which makes it all the more interesting.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
This was the best episode yet. It keeps getting better. Madripoor was amazing and its the biggest X-men related nugget we have gotten in the MCU so far. There are so many X-men stories and characters tied to Madripoor they can go anywhere with now.

Zemo teaming up with the boys was bad ass. He went full Baron on us and it was awesome. Sharon got a much needed darker tinge to her here after 7 years on the run. It all felt natural as well she was a fully trained Shield agent who, had to go underground in the capital of the MCU crime world. I enjoyed all of her scenes this episode the fighting style was gritty and appropriately brutal. There really is so much they can do with her now.

There are so many conflicting side motivations all the characters have. Like literally EVERYONE has an ulterior motive even in the team ups. So anyone can go sideways at any point which makes it all the more interesting.
It's crazy that they did Sharon so dirty like that. Wasn't infinity war/Endgame, literally everyone else got pardoned or whatever and she's been on the run ever since. I'd be pissed.
The chemistry between the cast is really fascinating.
Think it's one of the reasons winter soldier was so good.

Hamnat

It's crazy that they did Sharon so dirty like that. Wasn't infinity war/Endgame, literally everyone else got pardoned or whatever and she's been on the run ever since. I'd be pissed.

Think it's one of the reasons winter soldier was so good.
She clearly has her own motives and I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't have a new job as a spy for another agency.