Television The Falcon & The Winter Soldier

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Contains spoilers but pretty much nails it.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
The costume is sick, pretty much pinpoint his comic one.

decorativeed

The costume is sick, pretty much pinpoint his comic one.
Yeah, it's possibly the most comic book accurate costume in the history of the MCU. But... I think it needed the kind of treatment they gave some of the other costumes so it translated more naturally to the screen. The headgear in particular looked daft.

decorativeed

Which is my problem with it. A douche is a douche, you can always see it coming. And it played out exactly as predicted. Having being a mirror to Steve, and making Bucky and Sam the douches for not giving him a chance would have played a little better. Watching someone fall is far more interesting when its not expected.
So your problem is that it's not a completely different adaptation of a pre-existing character, written to be at odds with the source material, just so it could be less predictable?

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
So your problem is that it's not a completely different adaptation of a pre-existing character, written to be at odds with the source material, just so it could be less predictable?
It’s an opinion. But if you want to go into all the other differences over the MCU, we can do that and see what lines up and what doesn’t. Let’s start with nick fury. Black or white? Sam Jackson or the Hoff? The original guardians of the galaxy were...not the ones we got in the movies. Captain marvel, wasnt that...a guy? Walter, not Wendy, Lawson. Oh wait, Wendy didn’t even get a sniff at being captain marvel. In fact, there’s a whole bunch of people supposed to be captain marvel before carol danvers shows up to suck all the charisma out of every room she walks into.

And that’s just off the top of my head. So please, stop with this nonsense argument that characters, events and personalities haven’t or can’t been changed for the move to live action. I have an opinion on how the character played out.

By the way, remind me who took over the captain America mantel after Steve Rodgers? And who was it that gave him that mantel? Who was leading shield at that time? wait, that was tony stark wasn’t it? But he’s dead? How can he be dead if everything has to be faithfully recreated word for word? You should write a letter.

Roane

Bucky's therapist was in everybody loves raymond. She was Peggy the cookie scout woman who ray was afraid of

Rooney1987

Just finished it. Enjoyed it but thought WandaVision was a little better.

Falcon home life story was a little weak, they could have thought of something better then Sam having to apply for a loan after defeating Thanos.

Reiver

Thought the series started slowly but finished very strongly.
For most of the series I would have said Bucky was by far the more interesting character but, when they started talking about the implications of a black person taking on the role of Captain America, it hit on a very interesting issue.
Liked Zemo; thought the leader of the Flag Smashers was awful. USAgent has potential. Looks like a film might be on the horizon and I'm looking forward to it.

decorativeed

It’s an opinion. But if you want to go into all the other differences over the MCU, we can do that and see what lines up and what doesn’t. Let’s start with nick fury. Black or white? Sam Jackson or the Hoff? The original guardians of the galaxy were...not the ones we got in the movies. Captain marvel, wasnt that...a guy? Walter, not Wendy, Lawson. Oh wait, Wendy didn’t even get a sniff at being captain marvel. In fact, there’s a whole bunch of people supposed to be captain marvel before carol danvers shows up to suck all the charisma out of every room she walks into.

And that’s just off the top of my head. So please, stop with this nonsense argument that characters, events and personalities haven’t or can’t been changed for the move to live action. I have an opinion on how the character played out.

By the way, remind me who took over the captain America mantel after Steve Rodgers? And who was it that gave him that mantel? Who was leading shield at that time? wait, that was tony stark wasn’t it? But he’s dead? How can he be dead if everything has to be faithfully recreated word for word? You should write a letter.
So, to sum up, you're pissed off that they changed the race of Nick Fury and the sex of Mar-Vel, but wanted them to change the personality of a different character for no good reason? You also think that an Oscar-winning actress is a charisma vacuum, echoing some of the milder online abuse she got just for daring to star in the first female-led MCU film while being vocally feminist and left-wing. Strangely at odds with your take on the Gina Carano situation a couple of months back, really.

Glad you enjoyed the show. Hope you find the rest of the MCU just as fulfilling.

Last edited:

Sylar

The finale was a trainwreck. Shoddily edited, poorly choreographed action, silly Cap costume, poor writing (that big speech was comically on-the-nose), the nonsensical character 180 turn from Walker, the hugely anticlimactic closure to Bucky's redemption arc. Just so bad.

I was reasonably invested in the series and particularly liked the penultimate episode but the finale soured things. A sub-par series overall.
What is the 180 turn you're taking about? That he saved people? Or something else?

Norman Brownbutter

So, to sum up, you're pissed off that they changed the race of Nick Fury and the sex of Mar-Vel, but wanted them to change the personality of a different character for no good reason? You also think that an Oscar-winning actress is a charisma vacuum, echoing some of the milder online abuse she got just for daring to star in the first female-led MCU film while being vocally feminist and left-wing. Strangely at odds with your take on the Gina Carano situation a couple of months back, really.

Glad you enjoyed the show. Hope you find the rest of the MCU just as fulfilling.
Yeah, mate. Im so pissed off I started an argument and made shit about some guy an on internet forum because he said he would have preferred a slightly different arc for a character on a tv show...Oh no wait, that was you. Buh bye now.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Also, didn't Walker fecking murder someone? Czechia, I mean, Latvia are hardly going to be like, "Yes, foreigner who murdered someone on a busy public street in our capital city, off you go home immediately".
I suppose the terrorist group he belonged to had just murdered an agent in cold blood, then repeatedly tried to kill a bus full of world leaders.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I started to like it a lot at episode 4, but then 5 and 6 were a bit meh again. I just don't care about Sam.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
You also think that an Oscar-winning actress is a charisma vacuum, echoing some of the milder online abuse she got just for daring to star in the first female-led MCU film while being vocally feminist and left-wing.
When did an Oscar became an indulgence for any future acting transgressions? And surely there’s more to Larson’s backlash than her starring in the first female-led MCU superhero movie. I don’t discount right-wing/conservative/4-Chan-ish mob that went to war with her, but as a fellow feminist and left-winger I personally really don’t like Larson, both on and off the screen.

Being on the right (well, left) side of an argument doesn’t exempt you from being arrogant, condescending and borderline annoying.

harms

Staff
As much as I like his reviews, he does get unbearably assholish when it comes to social issues addressed in movies/ by the industry. His stuff on Carano and feminism is too much on the brow for a movie review.
Second that. I’ve watched a few of his videos when they started to appear in my recommendations before giving up on him as he tends to include those shallow and petty arguments in most of his reviews.

decorativeed

When did an Oscar became an indulgence for any future acting transgressions? And surely there’s more to Larson’s backlash than her starring in the first female-led MCU superhero movie. I don’t discount right-wing/conservative/4-Chan-ish mob that went to war with her, but as a fellow feminist and left-winger I personally really don’t like Larson, both on and off the screen.

Being on the right (well, left) side of an argument doesn’t exempt you from being arrogant, condescending and borderline annoying.
I suppose it's not - Nick Cage being the example that springs to mind - but it's only something I've ever read as a critisism of her because of Captain Marvel, almost exclusively by men and almost always alongside a political statement or personal attack on Larson. I've never spoken to anyone in real life who has an issue with her or her performance in the film. It's fine if you have an irrational dislike of an actor, but the vitriol and scale of negative online comments seemed to me to make the idea that it could all have been down to individual taste that less likely.

decorativeed

Yeah, mate. Im so pissed off I started an argument and made shit about some guy an on internet forum because he said he would have preferred a slightly different arc for a character on a tv show...Oh no wait, that was you. Buh bye now.
I'm not starting an argument, because I know from past experience that when presented with facts that disprove your point, you just vanish into thin air. I'm just saying that your point was confused and self defeating. You think that changing the physical appearance of comic book characters is the same as changing their core characteristics and storylines. I disagree.

Sylar

I suppose it's not - Nick Cage being the example that springs to mind - but it's only something I've ever read as a critisism of her because of Captain Marvel, almost exclusively by men and almost always alongside a political statement or personal attack on Larson. I've never spoken to anyone in real life who has an issue with her or her performance in the film. It's fine if you have an irrational dislike of an actor, but the vitriol and scale of negative online comments seemed to me to make the idea that it could all have been down to individual taste that less likely.
A lot of hate for Captain Marvel happened before the movie came out, because of the fact that it was a female lead. Theres no denying that, and it was in response to a lot of people being happy that a female was leading the movie.
That happened, and it was similar to Black Panther.

Both movies got praised OTT (Captain marvel more so imo) but the response was a huge amount of OTT hate going the other way. Its a standard response nowadays unfortunately. (and thus the reasonable middle ground gets ignored)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Second that. I’ve watched a few of his videos when they started to appear in my recommendations before giving up on him as he tends to include those shallow and petty arguments in most of his reviews.
His reviews are low brow, surface level trash. He's rarely said anything remotely thought provoking in his reviews.
Wish his 'reviews' would stop popping up on my YT page. Not even sure he loves films.

Last edited:

Jev

What is the 180 turn you're taking about? That he saved people? Or something else?
Yeah, him suddenly becoming a good guy again after his evil turn the weeks prior, with Bucky even cooperating with him like they hadn't fought mortally a few days before.

Oldyella

Yeah, him suddenly becoming a good guy again after his evil turn the weeks prior, with Bucky even cooperating with him like they hadn't fought mortally a few days before.
I suppose Bucky saw that he grabbed the van rather than look for Vengance but yeah I would have liked that there was a little more friction left there.

Norman Brownbutter

I'm not starting an argument, because I know from past experience that when presented with facts that disprove your point, you just vanish into thin air. I'm just saying that your point was confused and self defeating. You think that changing the physical appearance of comic book characters is the same as changing their core characteristics and storylines. I disagree.
No, you are trying to start some shit because I pointed out changes from the source material of past marvel productions, and you called me a racist, bigoted, misogynistic, homophobe for it. If your going to say that my opinion is dumb because thats how the character was written, then Im entitled to point out the fallacy of that argument and present examples of changes made that no one, with the exception of bigoted pricks, had any issues with. Its an adaptation, its not a word for word recreation. And my point was simply that I felt the story would have been improved by a slight tweak to US Agents arc. It certainly would have played better with Zemos points against super soldiers.

Other examples: Manits in the films is quite soft spoken and generally passive. In the comics shes assertive and a trained fighter. The mandarin...Nah, I dont need to say anything else on this one. Hank pym, where was he when Ultron was created? In the comics its a big point that he regrets his involvement. But thats no where to be seen as he wasnt around for Ultron. Tony Stark is a bit of an alcoholic. But that got played down quite a bit, didnt it? Planet Hulk became a story for Thor. Lots of Hulks character development is gone now. He just magically becomes smart hulk with no real explantion given. Hela is now Loki and thors sister. Which is weird because in the comics she is Thors niece because, thats right, she is Lokis daughter...or a loki.

And of course theres Zemo, the man himself from civil war and this show. An evil egomaniacal piece of shit in the comics. Which is a far cry from the relatable and sympathetic character we see in the movie and the show. But sure, tweaking the arc slightly of US Agent to make him less of a douche at the start would be too much...

decorativeed

No, you are trying to start some shit because I pointed out changes from the source material of past marvel productions, and you called me a racist, bigoted, misogynistic, homophobe for it. If your going to say that my opinion is dumb because thats how the character was written, then Im entitled to point out the fallacy of that argument and present examples of changes made that no one, with the exception of bigoted pricks, had any issues with. Its an adaptation, its not a word for word recreation. And my point was simply that I felt the story would have been improved by a slight tweak to US Agents arc. It certainly would have played better with Zemos points against super soldiers.

Other examples: Manits in the films is quite soft spoken and generally passive. In the comics shes assertive and a trained fighter. The mandarin...Nah, I dont need to say anything else on this one. Hank pym, where was he when Ultron was created? In the comics its a big point that he regrets his involvement. But thats no where to be seen as he wasnt around for Ultron. Tony Stark is a bit of an alcoholic. But that got played down quite a bit, didnt it? Planet Hulk became a story for Thor. Lots of Hulks character development is gone now. He just magically becomes smart hulk with no real explantion given. Hela is now Loki and thors sister. Which is weird because in the comics she is Thors niece because, thats right, she is Lokis daughter...or a loki.

And of course theres Zemo, the man himself from civil war and this show. An evil egomaniacal piece of shit in the comics. Which is a far cry from the relatable and sympathetic character we see in the movie and the show. But sure, tweaking the arc slightly of US Agent to make him less of a douche at the start would be too much...
Nowhere did I do that. Not even sure how you've inferred that from what I said. Neither did I say that the MCU had always stuck to 100% comic-accurate portrayals of their characters, just that this one character - the one most have praised as the highlight of the show - is relatively faithful. You appear to have the comprehension skills of a gibon.

Last edited:

Doracle

Enjoyed this series but didn’t think it was anywhere near as good as WandaVision.

I thought the overall character arcs for both main characters worked well but the surrounding story/characters were underdeveloped. The main villain was extremely underwhelming - both the acting and the role she was given - and the Powerbroker “reveal” was both unsurprising and seemingly illogical.

Probably needed a couple more episodes to allow more time to set some background - the “slow” penultimate episode was one of the best. Overall I’d say 3/5 for me.

harms

Staff
His reviews are low brow, surface level trash. He's rarely said anything remotely thought provoking in his reviews.
Wish his 'reviews' would stop popping up on my YT page.
That’s fair :lol:

I’m going to make your day now — you can click on three dots near the suggested video and choose the “don’t recommend me this channel” option. One of the best features on YouTube.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
That’s fair :lol:

I’m going to make your day now — you can click on three dots near the suggested video and choose the “don’t recommend me this channel” option. One of the best features on YouTube.
Oh,super. :D

Hamnat

Also, didn't Walker fecking murder someone? Czechia, I mean, Latvia are hardly going to be like, "Yes, foreigner who murdered someone on a busy public street in our capital city, off you go home immediately".
He probably had diplomatic immunity as an agent of the American government working with the GRC. So his punishment was shown in that committee hearing. They just didn't show all the "red tape" local police station, bureaucratic stuff before he leaves for the hearing back in the U.S. which we did see.

I think they could have added a line or two between Bucky and Walker where Bucky said "are you done being crazy and trying to murder?" And that would have solved some people's unease about them just jumping in to work with each other even though they were all in a crisis situation and Bucky could see he was legit trying to help.

Spoony

The People's President
I enjoyed Falcon and Winter Soldier. Sam's a proper hero. The Power Broker stuff confuses me, but good series nonetheless.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Never mind that, who's idea was it to hire Mick Hucknall as the villain?

Seriously, I've never seen that woman in anything before, so I don't know if she's just a bad actress... But genuinely has to be one of the worst acting performances I've even seen from a big budget show.

Sylar

On reflection, I enjoyed this quite a lot and the great acting outweighed the awful. I'd probably rewatch this, which I don't often do with series.
The new captain america was a surprise with his arc and the acting for it.