The Fifth Redcafe Sheep Draft SF - 2mufc0 vs. Indnyc/crappycraperson

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Fair enough mate. The point largely is that you are matching up to Neeskens in that position, knew in advance you were, and however hard it is to deal with that Simeone at least has a fighting chance there.
But at the same time it appears Neeskens is going to man the midfield by himself, Stiles is going to be busy with Sir Bobby and Eusebio, and with the extra man in midfield he's going to be defending a lot of the time. They have Ronaldo and Platini and the way I see it the best way to stop them is to keep them off the ball, Gerson will allow me to keep possession and keep the ball ticking in midfield.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
If I played Simeone people would say 'why do you need Simeone when you have Varela'. Gerson is the superior footballer and will put in a defensive shift too, playing these 3 in midfield help control proceedings and outnumber the opposition in the middle. Seems to be another redcafe rule you can only have 1 midfield playmaker.
Diamonds are not easy to set up and it is obvious there would be scrutiny on choice of midfielders for the same.

crappycraperson

Scout
But at the same time it appears Neeskens is going to man the midfield by himself, Stiles is going to be busy with Sir Bobby and Eusebio, and with the extra man in midfield he's going to be defending a lot of the time. They have Ronaldo and Platini and the way I see it the best way to stop them is to keep them off the ball, Gerson will allow me to keep possession and keep the ball ticking in midfield.
What non sense. My MF 3 is fine. Platini, Neeskens and Stiles is a great combo. Latter most is assigned to do his job in front of the defense, any of your MFs would run into him if they go into similar space. Neeskens is as complete as they come, he started his career at right back. He can create, win the ball back and score. Not going overboard, he is absolutely one of the best B2B players of all time. Platini is capable of playing from deeper positions as well. To say Neeskens is alone in MF is bizarre.

To reduce the game to midfield battle of numbers is farcical in itself since that's not how it will play out at all.

idmanager

Keeping aside the whole tactical debate, one team has done well to address the deficiencies in the reinforcements while the other has messed up an already great setup, probably because of the wing backs criticism.
I don't see too many strengths gained by Sir Bobby's team after the first round win.

Great job to @Indnyc and @crappycraperson though. Were one of the two weakest sides left in the competition after the first round IMO, but have done amazingly well building that squad.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What non sense. My MF 3 is fine. Platini, Neeskens and Stiles is a great combo. Latter most is assigned to do his job in front of the defense, any of your MFs would run into him if they go into similar space. Neeskens is as complete as they come, he started his career at right back. He can create, win the ball back and score. Not going overboard, he is absolutely one of the best B2B players of all time. Platini is capable of playing from deeper positions as well. To say Neeskens is alone in MF is bizarre.

To reduce the game to midfield battle of numbers is farcical in itself since that's not how it will play out at all.
No problem with Neeskens in there, but if your expecting Platini to play as a B2B midfielder that would be nonsense.

crappycraperson

Scout
Keeping aside the whole tactical debate, one team has done well to address the deficiencies in the reinforcements while the other has messed up an already great setup, probably because of the wing backs criticism.
I don't see too many strengths gained by Sir Bobby's team after the first round win.

Great job to @Indnyc and @crappycraperson though. Were one of the two weakest sides left in the competition after the first round IMO, but have done amazingly well building that squad.
Thanks idmanager. Win or lose this game, we are happy with how our team turned out. We were pretty honest in our convo about requiring good draws in first 2 rounds, that we got too.

crappycraperson

Scout
No problem with Neeskens in there, but if your expecting Platini to play as a B2B midfielder that would be nonsense.
I have not mentioned platini as b2b at all. But he does have a free role of sorts in midfield. That does not mean he can run around like headless chicken but goes to his actual performance for Juve where he did drop deep at times to kick start attacks in addition to playing the traditional role of 10 who would create/score. In any case, this is surely a non argument, Platini would be a factor in any MF battle.

Enigma_87

You know who
Mate, it's not like Modric, Gerson and Charlton were one dimensional playmakers who didn't bring any other skill set to the table.
Gerson is really old school playmaker mate. He's also on the side where Junior is operating and there is Modric, who I agree can operate next to designated playmaker, and there is Sir Bobby on top of that in #10 behind Eusebio/Ronaldo.

There is just too many "cooks" and on top of that the other team is sporting a very dynamic duo in terms of movement in Neeskens and Stiles.

In a tiki - taka, a team full of playmakers and in a very specific formations historically sure you can use it as an example, but in reality how many teams have sported a midfield 3 (with a wide full back playmaker)? And that in a what looks like a counter attacking setup @2mufc0 is sporting.

idmanager

Gerson is really old school playmaker mate. He's also on the side where Junior is operating and there is Modric, who I agree can operate next to designated playmaker, and there is Sir Bobby on top of that in #10 behind Eusebio/Ronaldo.

There is just too many "cooks" and on top of that the other team is sporting a very dynamic duo in terms of movement in Neeskens and Stiles.

In a tiki - taka, a team full of playmakers and in a very specific formations historically sure you can use it as an example, but in reality how many teams have sported a midfield 3 (with a wide full back playmaker)? And that in a what looks like a counter attacking setup @2mufc0 is sporting.
You have been kind by not including Baresi in the argument there.

Enigma_87

You know who
And what's wrong with having players in central midfield who can play make? I wouldn't say my midfield is that unusual I would compare it to Madrid's Modric-Casemiro-Kroos-Isco midfield.
Not at all, I've explained several times why Gerson is in there and all I've got in response is 'too many playmakers' so I admit I'm getting a bit frustrated. And it's not meant as a personal insult, so if you or @Enigma_87 are I apologise.
I mentioned in our game mate. I don't take it as an insult, far from it, don't worry about it. Just after our discussion in the previous game, you added Gerson in the place of a stopper. :lol:

I've used 2 playmakers before (as I love picking Xavi) and have no issues with having 2 of them, but it looks a bit too much here for me.

Indnyc

Thank you!

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Fair enough mate, your entitled to your opinion but will have to agree to disagree. Sir Bobby, my strikers and to a certain extent Modric is dynamic too and they have a strong base in Varela to play their game.

idmanager

This would have sold slightly better IMO. The diamond just makes it look lacking space for anyone to exert themselves.

Enigma_87

You know who
Fair enough mate, your entitled to your opinion but will have to agree to disagree. Sir Bobby, my strikers and to a certain extent Modric is dynamic too and they have a strong base in Varela to play their game.
No problem mate. I won't bring it up anymore to clutter up the thread I think I've made my point clear, so we can agree to disagree.

crappycraperson

Scout
Stays quiet on the number of potential indian votes for crappy who havent voted in other draft games. :smirk:
I can't see the voters so don't know who you are referring to but I have not sent PMs to folks asking to vote for my team here if that's what you think. I wanted to discuss this game controversy free so I have stuck to game points strictly.

MJJ

I can't see the voters so don't know who you are referring to but I have not sent PMs to folks asking to vote for my team here if that's what you think. I wanted to discuss this game controversy free so I have stuck to game points strictly.
Yeah I am not accusing you crappy, have played with you and against you before and know you are a fair competitor.

This is an old "argument" that has been going on between moby and me, sorry for bringing it to yours and 2mufc0's game(well anto brought it based on a joke).

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Tricky match up.
Biggest mismatch to me looks like Charlton vs. Stiles. Stiles needed a team effort to contain Eusebio in 66 and couldn't shut him down on his own. he can't shut down Charlton on his own. I feel like that back four of ind/cra are needed just to try to contain the trio of Fenomeno-Eusebio-Charlton.

Despite the quality of both defenses this game seems like it would be high scoring on both sides based on the tactics. Have to think about this one more

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Fair enough, but jesus looking at those voters.. Strange to say the least.

Last edited:

idmanager

Fair enough, but jesus looking at those voters.. Strange to say the least.

This one looks pretty much over for me now anyway, you guys have a strong team and I've seem to manage to draw the stronger teams each round. Congratulations to you and Indnyc.
Could we please stop making posts like this with so much time to go and the difference being what,?
Clearly has an impact on games and voters.

Would be good to close the tie then and there when people post such stuff and congrats are exchanged.
Harms did the same in the other thread.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
This would have sold slightly better IMO. The diamond just makes it look lacking space for anyone to exert themselves.

Exactly what I was thinking. It also avoids the obvious questions of fit when it comes to the diamond which don't exist in a 433

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Could we please stop making posts like this with so much time to go and the difference being ?
Clearly has an impact on games and voters.

Would be good to close the tie then and there when people post such stuff and congrats are exchanged.
Harms did the same in the other thread.
Yeah your right mate. Edited my post, could you do the same, cheers.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports

This is really a great example of how presentation seems to affect perception.

Same exact players but just tweak the positions a little bit to make the formation look more balanced and it feels smoother. Also I feel not using sharemytactics would help as they have some of the worst looking arrows.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This is really a great example of how presentation seems to affect perception.

Same exact players but just tweak the positions a little bit to make the formation look more balanced and it feels smoother. Also I feel not using sharemytactics would help as they have some of the worst looking arrows.
What other websites are there to make formations? And I've already mentioned it before Charlton is likely to drift to the left at times.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

That's how I'd anticipated it as well. Gives Gerson a little more defensive support on that flank.

Not sure about this though. Jack Charlton and Carvajal were never going to cut it at in the semi-finals, moving to a back four with the Lahm switch was the right thing to do. The left-side problem is still there, but that's more personnel than system - as in no system will easily resolve it.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Cheers, looks a lot more customisable.
Yes. Arrows are a lot more customizable so they look more natural in the tactic. 12 arrows here and they don't look excessive at all

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Just a couple thoghts before bed, one thing I've encountered over the last 3 games is the issue of Leo Junior cutting in making him incompatible, however going by this logic it's difficult to envisage him being able to play with any type of central midfielder or central playmaker which imo is very unfair. It would be interesting to hear ideas in what sort of formation and personal people think he would work with.

Secondly I never thought having players with the ability to pass the ball and create would be a negative, playing against defensively strong teams you need as many options to create as possible and having more creative players can only be a plus.

Indnyc

Just a couple thoghts before bed, one thing I've encountered over the last 3 games is the issue of Leo Junior cutting in making him incompatible, however going by this logic it's difficult to envisage him being able to play with any type of central midfielder or central playmaker which imo is very unfair. It would be interesting to hear ideas in what sort of formation and personal people think he would work with.

Secondly I never thought having players with the ability to pass the ball and create would be a negative, playing against defensively strong teams you need as many options to create as possible and having more creative players can only be a plus.
Passing ability isn’t the problem. It is about having players complimenting each other’s styles. Junior is fine as a left back but then with Charlton, Gerson and Modric you would ideally want 1of them to be a b2b midfielder. Then Junior coming inside isn’t that bad because the b2b midfielder could take on a more defensive role.

In the current team, Junior is the weakest defender on the pitch (not a slight on him, just the quality of other defenders around) and him coming inside would be overlapping with Gersons role.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Passing ability isn’t the problem. It is about having players complimenting each other’s styles. Junior is fine as a left back but then with Charlton, Gerson and Modric you would ideally want 1of them to be a b2b midfielder. Then Junior coming inside isn’t that bad because the b2b midfielder could take on a more defensive role.

In the current team, Junior is the weakest defender on the pitch (not a slight on him, just the quality of other defenders around) and him coming inside would be overlapping with Gersons role.
Stylistically, as I've mentioned before this midfield 3 is no different than Madrid's central 3 and they went on to win 2 EC's in a row, and all 3 of them are different types of players. I don't really need an all action B2b when I have Charlton and Modric is world class at linking attack with defence. Leo Junior maybe the weakest defender on the pitch but he only has to deal with Amoros on that side however Stiles is the weakest midfielder on the pitch and he's going up against 3 of my best players, I think that's a much bigger area of concern.

crappycraperson

Scout
Stylistically, as I've mentioned before this midfield 3 is no different than Madrid's central 3 and they went on to win 2 EC's in a row, and all 3 of them are different types of players. I don't really need an all action B2b when I have Charlton and Modric is world class at linking attack with defence. Leo Junior maybe the weakest defender on the pitch but he only has to deal with Amoros on that side however Stiles is the weakest midfielder on the pitch and he's going up against 3 of my best players, I think that's a much bigger area of concern.
How is Stiles going up against 3 players? That's absurd. He is part of the midfield and defensive set up that will take on yours.

It is also telling that you have completely ignored Maldini in these discussions since you know he more than Stiles would shut down Eusebio.