Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

Hammerfell

Though yes this is a concern. If it's two discs and one of them takes place entirely in Midgar, I've no idea how they fit the rest of the game onto one more disc.
I thought it was Midgar that’s got two discs?

Raw

I'm afraid they might cut a lot of content from the game.
I can see that too now that Midgar is the first part. Unless this will have like 5+ parts then I fear some of the less important areas might get cut or just turned to cut scenes. There's a ridiculous amount of content in disc 1 after all.

My guess is:
Part 1: Midgar
Part 2: Up until Forgotten Capital. Areas like Kalm, Mythril Mine, Gongaga, Bone Valley, Sleeping Forest, etc get cut. And some optional side quests.
Part 3: Up until end of game. Some snow areas and other optional side quests get cut.

Then they'll release a few DLC packs to rectify some of that for an extra £15 each or so. Then release a complete edition in like 2026. This is modern Squeenix after all.

Ainu

I don't see them putting in a world map, it wouldn't work with the level of graphical detail they're going for anyway. So you have to wonder how all the different towns/locations would work. We might see a post-Midgar game that's about as linear as Midgar itself.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't see them putting in a world map, it wouldn't work with the level of graphical detail they're going for anyway. So you have to wonder how all the different towns/locations would work. We might see a post-Midgar game that's about as linear as Midgar itself.
I agree...I have a feeling that they're going for the style of you're playing a movie rather than a game type thing.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It just looks like the same engine and combat as XV which was bang average (though the game itself wasn't bad). Wish they'd have just fecking did a modern version of the turn based materia system instead of this shite.

Raw

I can see it being similar to FF12, main locations split up by large zones you travel through. How they'll get the airship/boats to work I don't know, I hope it isn't as disappointing as just selecting the locations on a map and automatically getting there.

Ainu

I can see it being similar to FF12, main locations split up by large zones you travel through. How they'll get the airship/boats to work I don't know, I hope it isn't as disappointing as just selecting the locations on a map and automatically getting there.
Similar to FF12 would be brilliant but sadly I can't see it. It would take them ages to design such areas and the fact we haven't seen anything outside of Midgar doesn't make me hopeful. It might be more along the lines of FFX with a fairly linear progression until you get the airship, at which point it does turn into simply selecting locations on a map menu. That would kill the exploration though.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Though yes this is a concern. If it's two discs and one of them takes place entirely in Midgar, I've no idea how they fit the rest of the game onto one more disc.
If it's one disc for midgar alone, they'll have practically said it will be a two-parter with the two-disc comment, which would make most things in the game cut.
As I understood it, Midgar will be the first part, but it will be 2 discs for Midgar alone as part 1.

If they do end up having Midgar with 2 discs as part 1, then I doubt they'll explore the other areas properly (compared to what they are doing with Midgar). Junon for example is a fairly huge area that could take a disc on it's own if Midgar is 2 discs.
I also wonder how they'll sort the issues around going back to places you've been. Backtracking is a lot of fun in these games for some of us.

I can see that too now that Midgar is the first part. Unless this will have like 5+ parts then I fear some of the less important areas might get cut or just turned to cut scenes. There's a ridiculous amount of content in disc 1 after all.

My guess is:
Part 1: Midgar
Part 2: Up until Forgotten Capital. Areas like Kalm, Mythril Mine, Gongaga, Bone Valley, Sleeping Forest, etc get cut. And some optional side quests.
Part 3: Up until end of game. Some snow areas and other optional side quests get cut.

Then they'll release a few DLC packs to rectify some of that for an extra £15 each or so. Then release a complete edition in like 2026. This is modern Squeenix after all.
When I read those names, I think that Kalm, Mythril Mine, Sleeping Forest & Gongaga won't be cut fully. I can see Bone Village be fully cut as it's really just there as a fail-safe if you miss items/materia and for the short Lunar Harp search, but Kalm has the famous story of Clouds first trip with Sephiroth, so at the very least they'll make a small sequence there even if it isn't playable. Sleeping Forest can't be fully cut in my opinion due to it's importance in the part after Aerith leaves the party. Gongaga I'd be sad if they cut due to the significance of Zack to the whole story (on top of some materia and a meeting with the Turks). Gongaga is small though, so they might keep it to a fight with the turks and the rest a small sequence.

It's hard to imagine a massive game like FF7 be remade where some parts are expanded upon (Midgar) while others are likely to get cut. I might struggle to see it as the same game.

Art Vandelay

If it's one disc for midgar alone, they'll have practically said it will be a two-parter with the two-disc comment, which would make most things in the game cut.
As I understood it, Midgar will be the first part, but it will be 2 discs for Midgar alone as part 1.

If they do end up having Midgar with 2 discs as part 1, then I doubt they'll explore the other areas properly (compared to what they are doing with Midgar). Junon for example is a fairly huge area that could take a disc on it's own if Midgar is 2 discs.
I also wonder how they'll sort the issues around going back to places you've been. Backtracking is a lot of fun in these games for some of us.

When I read those names, I think that Kalm, Mythril Mine, Sleeping Forest & Gongaga won't be cut fully. I can see Bone Village be fully cut as it's really just there as a fail-safe if you miss items/materia and for the short Lunar Harp search, but Kalm has the famous story of Clouds first trip with Sephiroth, so at the very least they'll make a small sequence there even if it isn't playable. Sleeping Forest can't be fully cut in my opinion due to it's importance in the part after Aerith leaves the party. Gongaga I'd be sad if they cut due to the significance of Zack to the whole story (on top of some materia and a meeting with the Turks). Gongaga is small though, so they might keep it to a fight with the turks and the rest a small sequence.

It's hard to imagine a massive game like FF7 be remade where some parts are expanded upon (Midgar) while others are likely to get cut. I might struggle to see it as the same game.
I'm getting the same fear. Although I didn't quite understand the two blu rays comment, if it was two for the first instalment or two total.

If they start taking liberties and adding in unnecessary stuff while taking out stuff that I want to see in this new engine then I'm going to be annoyed. To be honest I don't even fully want a remake this... remade. Giving the old game modern graphics would have done for me.

Sephiroth turning up to taunt Cloud so early and that black mist around Aerith have me very worried.

I was playing a bit of 7 yesterday. Got up to Wall Market, it's weird having not played in 20 years. Like going back to somewhere you used to know and trying to remember everyone.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Work mate just pre ordered the big £260 edition. Can't say I blame him.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

The way I see it; games don't run on the disks anymore so they? So "Midgar" being on disk one followed by a "Insert Disk Two" for the rest doesn't necessarily mean that Disk One equals 50% of the game run time. A lot of the assets found on Disk One will be reused for later parts of the game. So, "Disk Two" might very well mean 60 or 70% of the remaining game runtime. I hope.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Read the first class edition includes cactuar summon materia dlc. Does this mean you will have to buy materia with real money now? That seems a bit lame.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Fingers crossed that they keep the CPR mini game :drool:

Raw

Read the first class edition includes cactuar summon materia dlc. Does this mean you will have to buy materia with real money now? That seems a bit lame.
Probably just Cactuar, Carbuncle and Chocobo Chick. Summons that weren't in the original anyway.

Still sucks though.

Raw

Fingers crossed that they keep the CPR mini game :drool:
There's so many little minigames in FF7 that I'm worried they won't keep the majority of them. They're not important but they add to the charm of the game. Like the dolphin jumping one! Imagine that with these graphics :lol:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I hope they keep the mating Rees-Mogg game.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Ps. I've just picked up from where I've left off in FFVII and am at the Gold Saucer before Cloud's date. I've sort of made the game easymode by equiping 2 HP plus' to each member of my party and equiped them with a weapon/armor which has double growth. Also just about to get regen through having double growth on cure. I've never had that spell before disc 2.

Art Vandelay

Do the enemies in 7 scale with you? For the first time ever I'm actually going to grind out Aerith's level 4 limit break and I'm just concious that while doing so it's levelling Cloud quite quickly and I don't want to break the game either by him being way over powered or everyone else way underpowered because they've not levelled too.

I'm using the area's between the church and Wall Market for the levelling. Area with the death house enemy for when I need her to take hits and use limit break and area beside church for when I just need her to kill a load of enemies. Nearly 40 minutes and she's pretty close to level 2.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Do the enemies in 7 scale with you? For the first time ever I'm actually going to grind out Aerith's level 4 limit break and I'm just concious that while doing so it's levelling Cloud quite quickly and I don't want to break the game either by him being way over powered or everyone else way underpowered because they've not levelled too.

I'm using the area's between the church and Wall Market for the levelling. Area with the death house enemy for when I need her to take hits and use limit break and area beside church for when I just need her to kill a load of enemies. Nearly 40 minutes and she's pretty close to level 2.
No, they do in 8 though.

Art Vandelay

Ok so Cloud will just be over levelled. It will come in handy later I suppose when I take out all the weapons, a feat I never managed back in the day.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I think it was Ruby that I couldn't beat, yet I managed to beat everything in 10. I can't remember any of the ones from 8 really.
Ruby could be a pain. I found the trick was to go in with two characters dead so he put his tentacles in the ground straight away and didn't whirlwind one or two of your characters away. I'm sure you be facing him soon enough anyway :)

IIRC in 8 there was Ultima Weapon at the bottom of the Research Centre and Omega in Ultimecia's Castle.

Art Vandelay

Ruby could be a pain. I found the trick was to go in with two characters dead so he put his tentacles in the ground straight away and didn't whirlwind one or two of your characters away. I'm sure you be facing him soon enough anyway :)

IIRC in 8 there was Ultima Weapon at the bottom of the Research Centre and Omega in Ultimecia's Castle.
Well I'm still in the slums grinding Aerith's limit breaks before I even push on to the Don Corneo bit. So I'm a fair bit away from anything too taxing.

Was there an optional dragon towards the end of 8 as well or am I imagining that?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Well I'm still in the slums grinding Aerith's limit breaks before I even push on to the Don Corneo bit. So I'm a fair bit away from anything too taxing.

Was there an optional dragon towards the end of 8 as well or am I imagining that?
Not that I can remember, unless you're thinking of the fight with Bahamut.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm not sure. I vaguely remember a castle and a fight that I couldn't be arsed with that I ran from.

Cloud is level 14, I have 10k gil and he's on his level 2 limit break already.
I started FF9 before, I've never actually completed it so figured I may aswell head back to it. The last time I played I think i was 50/60 hours in and my save file became corrupted.

I forgot how much I love Vivi. For some reason he reminds me of @Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Irwin99

At fecking last!!!!! finally a chance to play this on the PS4 and complete my platinum collection from 7 onwards :drool:

Irwin99

There will be an option to make the game speed 3 times faster like in FF9 so i assume that can be used in the summon scenes, you just lose the ability to boost which, to be fair, i never used anyway.

Never played the chocobo mini game, wonder if that will be a part of the remaster. Sony and Sega released these little hand held memory cards for the Playstation and Dreamcast that never really took off but FF8 included a mini game that could be played on the sony version. It wasn't very good apparently but you could get rare items through it like teaching your GF the ribbon ability.

Irwin99

I've found FF platinums to be a joke! So much time consuming stuff in all of them :lol:
I even platinumed 13 ... I shudder at the memory. 10 was very frustrating with the lightning dodge, 7 was a lot of fun especially getting all the date scenes, 15 was easy, 12 was a challenge and 9 was tricky at times too. 14 has been a hell of a grind.