Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

Irwin99

The pixel remaster editions are coming out on April 19th apparently: Every FF from 1 to 6 can be bought individually or as a collection.

Weirdly looking forward to playing FF2 again which is a bit of a black sheep in the franchise. And of course FF6.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm quite sure these pixel remasters have been out for a while? Or are talking about systems aside from PC? The FF6 one is brilliant with the updated sound.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'm quite sure these pixel remasters have been out for a while? Or are talking about systems aside from PC? The FF6 one is brilliant with the updated sound.
Aside from the screen tearing issues it was pretty solid.

Irwin99

Been getting all the plats for the pixel remasters; on FFV now. If anyone hasn't played V and doesn't mind a silly, light-hearted plot then this is a really good FF game. i'd forgotten how fun it could be.

Apparently the new FF-FF16- has been banned in Saudi Arabia for allegedly having a gay character in it who's important to the plot. Kudos to Square for not giving in and changing their stance on request.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apparently the new FF-FF16- has been banned in Saudi Arabia for allegedly having a gay character in it who's important to the plot. Kudos to Square for not giving in and changing their stance on request.
Nice. I saw that it was only £50 on Hit which is pretty good. Do they take your payment when you order or just before dispatch?

Irwin99

Nice. I saw that it was only £50 on Hit which is pretty good. Do they take your payment when you order or just before dispatch?
When i buy on PSN it usually charges me straight away, not sure what the policy is elsewhere.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
When i buy on PSN it usually charges me straight away, not sure what the policy is elsewhere.
Just hit the pre order on Hit. £51.

- Your credit card will not be charged until the goods are ready for dispatch. :cool:

Zen86

How similar is 16 going to be to 15? I'm a long term fan of the series, but 15 was gash. The first FF I've owned and not seen through to the end.

The combat was bobbins and the world/characters/dialogue was just too fecking corny.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How similar is 16 going to be to 15? I'm a long term fan of the series, but 15 was gash. The first FF I've owned and not seen through to the end.

The combat was bobbins and the world/characters/dialogue was just too fecking corny.
It sound like they've tried to take elements from multiple FFs from reviews I have heard but also that they are following a FF7 Remake type model when it comes to open world/linearity. I have a feeling it will be similar to FF12 i.e a good game that introduces something different to the FF genre but doesn't stand with the classics FF5-10.

Irwin99

Just hit the pre order on Hit. £51.

- Your credit card will not be charged until the goods are ready for dispatch. :cool:
Nice.

I will be playing it on release but i'm waiting for the reviews to decide whether i buy a physical copy or download. I get the feeling it will be a good game regardless, i just don't know if it will be a good FF game (Devil May Cry type games have never been my thing)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Nice.

I will be playing it on release but i'm waiting for the reviews to decide whether i buy a physical copy or download. I get the feeling it will be a good game regardless, i just don't know if it will be a good FF game (Devil May Cry type games have never been my thing)
I think as above it might be on the same level as FF12. A 7/10 game-ish but at least better than any of the trash FF13 and it's side bitches cooked up and the disappointing FF15.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You get the feck out.
Not sure why that's so controversial (unless you rate it higher and I think it has potential to be an 8 with some refinements, definitely not lower though). It was a good game. Perhaps it's because I rate the other FFs so highly though as I would have FF5-10 as all 8/10 or above games, multiple being 9 or 10.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not sure why that's so controversial (unless you rate it higher and I think it has potential to be an 8 with some refinements, definitely not lower though). It was a good game. Perhaps it's because I rate the other FFs so highly though as I would have FF5-10 as all 8/10 or above games, multiple being 9 or 10.
XII is class. I think it wasn't as warmly received because it abandoned turn based combat but the combat system was actually really vast and complex, it had a good story, great world, it was a great game, not the best FF but still an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me.

Irwin99

The original 12 was a real slog for me. My god! that game was horrifically slow, had the most depressing dungeons at times and a story that wasn't fun and had no drama or emotional engagement. I remember as a kid i had a Milhouse from the Simpsons style meltdown at the ending of 12 and was like "is this it?!" :lol:

TZA improves the game a lot with the speed up option and job system makes it a far better game, but for me I just would not want to play the original ever again.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
XII is class. I think it wasn't as warmly received because it abandoned turn based combat but the combat system was actually really vast and complex, it had a good story, great world, it was a great game, not the best FF but still an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me.
I think in the context of FF I would have it at a 7 or 8 just because of how good FF6-FF9 are (all 9 or 10 out of 10 games). I'd have 5 and 10 as 8/10ish games.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'd rate both 10 and 12 higher than 8

6 > 7 > 9 > 10 > 12 > 8 > 5 > the rest a long way away
7 = 6 > 9 > 8 = 4 > 10

If we add Chrono Trigger (CT) and the Lost Odyssey (LO) which are Final Fantasy games without being Final Fantasy games then: 7 = 6 > CT = 9 > 8 = 4 > 10 = LO.

I know that 10 is mentioned as one of the classics, but I thought it was significantly below the classic FF games.

Zen86

It sound like they've tried to take elements from multiple FFs from reviews I have heard but also that they are following a FF7 Remake type model when it comes to open world/linearity. I have a feeling it will be similar to FF12 i.e a good game that introduces something different to the FF genre but doesn't stand with the classics FF5-10.
Hopefully not too open world, but that seems to be the thing these days. I did really enjoy 12 to be honest.

padr81

Supports
Man City
If someone shat on their hand and rubbed it on my screen, I'd rate cleaning it higher than 8.

I have an irrational hatred of that game, I don't think I've ever seen as many characters I dislike in a videogame. Zell is the worst character in any FF (yes even worse than Snow, Hope, Quina or Vanilla), Selphie sucks too, Squall is an asshole, Rinoa is annoying. Only Quistis and Irvine aren't infuriating but then Irvine pulls the "I couldn't be arse telling you dudes we all grew up together" which makes him infuriating. By the end of the game I was cheering for Ultemicia.

I wish the whole game was about Laguna. Just Laguna going around playing triple triad. Everything else in that game annoyed me.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
If someone shat on their hand and rubbed it on my screen, I'd rate cleaning it higher than 8.

I have an irrational hatred of that game, I don't think I've ever seen as many characters I dislike in a videogame. Zell is the worst character in any FF (yes even worse than Snow, Hope, Quina or Vanilla), Selphie sucks too, Squall is an asshole, Rinoa is annoying. Only Quistis and Irvine aren't infuriating but then Irvine pulls the "I couldn't be arse telling you dudes we all grew up together" which makes him infuriating. By the end of the game I was cheering for Ultemicia.

I wish the whole game was about Laguna. Just Laguna going around playing triple triad. Everything else in that game annoyed me.
I absolutely love 8 but agree re the characters. I never took a liking to any of them bar Squall and Laguna. Contrast that to 7 and it’s telling.

But a game I still replay every couple of years. The soundtrack is immense.

Revan

Assumptionman

Then just imagine that this theory is correct: https://squallsdead.com/

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

:mad::nono:

Lastwolf

It's actually a pretty decent story I think, just told badly(?) or at least not how we'd expect as a western audience, there are lots of problems I have with it (some of it is even translated poorly) but it's not as bad as people make out imo.

It's supposed to about a group of magic war orphans and their pre-destined fate to be turned into child soldiers by their surrogate father figure to battle against future witch-Hitler across time and space, who is possessing his wife/ their surrogate mother. That's a story I'd want to explore, unfortunately it kinda gets lost in the weeds but that's fairly typical of a lot of anime for example. They often opt for "this is how it is now, it's cool, so move past it" approach.

A coupla months ago I watched a video about fixing some movie's shit story (think it was the new matrixes, can't remember exactly I watched a bunch of them) and I was thinking to myself, you could easily do this with FF8. I even vaguely looked into doing it but I figured it's already been done by someone and I'm not a writer or anything so I'd probably make it worse.

Anywho, there was a bunch of things I'd forgotten or misremembered, it's interesting that you mention liking Laguna the best, I found his story VERY confusing and he's a bit of a cnut. He causally goes AWOL in the middle of a war, becomes a adoptive father to a little girl and has a relationship with her mother and half marries her (?) it's very unclear, he then goes on "one last mission" when she with his child (tbf he didn't know this) and doesn't think to actively look for them after the war for about 4 years. He finds out that she dies after giving birth and despite being ruler of the most technically advanced and rich countries in the world, fails to locate either child even though they were only actively hiding one of them. Even then now that I think about it, they didn't even start hiding Eloine until Squall is about 5-6.

Zell is comic relief, he's no more annoying than any of them imo (but Cait Sith is waaay worse) and I've always had a soft spot for Squall probably cause I was a angsty antisocial teenager at the time :D. The Irvine reveal was a bit dumb, but he was in a weird situation where he meets up with a bunch of people he last saw 6 years ago, as a kid and none of them acknowledge they know each other or grew up together, if they'd had a scene or two more of him saying "we know each other" and them blanking it would have been better, but the mechanics of Guardian Forces and how they cause memory loss is very poorly explained in general.

Last edited: