Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

el3mel

FF6 & 9 are must-plays. FF8 is a personal favorite.
FF5 is quite underrated in my opinion, but I think it is because of the grind being real there. If you emulate it then you'll have superspeed to get through the grind.
The job system in 5 was awesome. But everything pre ps1 is hard to enjoy unless you dont mind the very old schools graphics. I personally love sprites, but I have more than a few mates that laugh at me endlessly for playing those games.

Final Fantasy tactics is a fecking master piece btw, try that too @el3mel
Thanks a lot you both.

I don't have much problems with the spirit stuff as at the end of the day I played lots of Pokemon games, beside recently I just went through many old Castlevania and Metroid titles on GBA and DS so it's fine for me.

I was thinking of playing 6 on GBA yes as I always find it one the top or very close to the top in most FF main games rankings on internet. X grabbed my attention simply because of its presence on PC. I might try tactics as well now that you mentioned it.

Think I'll start with 6 then. :cool:

el3mel

So I have played 11 hours so far in 6 on GBA (emulated) and it has been a pretty fun ride so far. Story is really engaging and characters are all likeable. Random encounters are a little bit annoying like any JRPG but I find the game to be mostly easy so far. Some characters are just overpowered.

Revan

Assumptionman
So I have played 11 hours so far in 6 on GBA (emulated) and it has been a pretty fun ride so far. Story is really engaging and characters are all likeable. Random encounters are a little bit annoying like any JRPG but I find the game to be mostly easy so far. Some characters are just overpowered.
The first half of FF6 is the best game ever. The second part is also excellent though not as good.

el3mel

The first half of FF6 is the best game ever. The second part is also excellent though not as good.
How long is it ? 30-40 hours ? If so still a good amount of time ahead of me to even reach its half.

Revan

Assumptionman
How long is it ? 30-40 hours ? If so still a good amount of time ahead of me to even reach its half.
Something like that. I did more or less everything (was around level 99 with all characters) maybe in 40 hours (7 years ago so I don’t remember the exact number of hours).

el3mel

Something like that. I did more or less everything (was around level 99 with all characters) maybe in 40 hours (7 years ago so I don’t remember the exact number of hours).
Still long time ahead of me then.

el3mel

I didn't I'll lose Shadow forever if I didn't wait on that floating content ? Pretty shame really. It made no sense for me to wait while the timer is still going on, I wonder how many actually waited on their first playthrough of this years ago without following any guide ?

Also, feck this cultist tower, worst dungeon of the game, maybe one of the worst in almost JRPG I have played. Only thing I hated about this game so far and I'm in the final dungeon at the moment.

Revan

Assumptionman
Still long time for me in this 40 hours game, I am still on the first half of it.

2 days later: I am on the final dungeon.

Amazing game!

el3mel

Still long time for me in this 40 hours game, I am still on the first half of it.

2 days later: I am on the final dungeon.

Amazing game!
I'm on the 27 hours mark at the moment. :D

I played more than 8-9 hours a day. I'm totally free and have absolutely nothing to do. :lol:

Irwin99

I’d love a remake of 6 with Kefka in his full insanity/glory. I sometimes wish some of the characters were a bit more cohesive. I do feel some of them could turn around and say at any point “who the hell are all these people I’m with?”. Also, make Terra undisputed main character.

Revan

Assumptionman
I’d love a remake of 6 with Kefka in his full insanity/glory. I sometimes wish some of the characters were a bit more cohesive. I do feel some of them could turn around and say at any point “who the hell are all these people I’m with?”. Also, make Terra undisputed main character.
She is. Even the main theme is called Terra's theme.

Irwin99

She is. Even the main theme is called Terra's theme.
She is in my view too but
you can complete the game without her. Spoiling this just in case for other people. The game jumps all over the place with its characters as a narrative choice but i kinda wish Terra was the lead character in the world of ruin

el3mel

I felt Tifa was the main character in the first half while Celes is in the second half or something.

But I liked the unorthodox way of having most characters playing a major role in the story to nearly equal level.

Revan

Assumptionman
I felt Tifa was the main character in the first half while Celes is in the second half or something.

But I liked the unorthodox way of having most characters playing a major role in the story to nearly equal level.
Yep, this is correct. Terra is the main character in Balance, while Celes (who is amazing too) in Ruin. Balance is longer though, and also the main theme is called Terra.

el3mel

Finished the final dungeon today, full time at the end was 29 hours. Amazing experience.

Think I need a rest for some time as I'm totally burnt out with how much I played it last few days. :lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I’m on a bit of an FF music binge at the moment and I don’t care what any of you say, FF8 had the best soundtrack of any FF game. Unreal. Critique the game all you want (even though it’s excellent), but don’t take away from what is arguably Uematsu’s finest work. Premonition is just :drool: :drool:

The entire sequence of music when you face Ultimecia though is incredible

Minkaro

XV is one of the September PSnow games, if anyone’s got that.

I imagine the number of people who have, and who haven’t played the game yet in this thread may be quite low, but just in case.

Irwin99

I'm trying to get into Crystal Chronicles but not really liking it. Will persevere. Thankfully there's no platinum trophy so I won't get all stupidly compulsive about getting it.

Wonder if they will ever re-release FF tactics? I feel like it's the only big FF game I've not played (along with 11 and the two 13 sequels which i wouldn't touch with a barge pole)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm trying to get into Crystal Chronicles but not really liking it. Will persevere. Thankfully there's no platinum trophy so I won't get all stupidly compulsive about getting it.

Wonder if they will ever re-release FF tactics? I feel like it's the only big FF game I've not played (along with 11 and the two 13 sequels which i wouldn't touch with a barge pole)
You can get tactics on iOS. It’s a great game.

Irwin99

You can get tactics on iOS. It’s a great game.
Where would it be among the best FF games in your opinion? I know it gets a lot of praise but I don't recall there being that much fuss over it when it was released.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Where would it be among the best FF games in your opinion? I know it gets a lot of praise but I don't recall there being that much fuss over it when it was released.
I don’t really rank it alongside normal FFs as Tactics isn’t anything like a traditional FF in a lot of ways, but it’s excellent in its own right, well worth the £12 or so. @Bojan11 will pay.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I just voted X.

My sad life means I am currently playing it on a Saturday night. 86 hours in, grinding Blitzball for the Jupiter Sigil (PS2 version) to power up World Champion.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I just voted X.

My sad life means I am currently playing it on a Saturday night. 86 hours in, grinding Blitzball for the Jupiter Sigil (PS2 version) to power up World Champion.
God I hated blitzball! I didn’t mind it at first but the sheer amount of games you have to play to get all the reels and the sigil is a pain in the arse.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
God I hated blitzball! I didn’t mind it at first but the sheer amount of games you have to play to get all the reels and the sigil is a pain in the arse.
To be fair it’s not too bad if you break the matches up between catching fiends for the monster arena.

At least it is not as tedious as dodging lightning for Lulu’s Sigil or dodging butterfly’s for Kimahri’s.

I just did the chocobo race earlier for Tidus’ and that is infuriating. Blitzball is relaxing compared to them 3 haha.

Revan

Assumptionman
VIII being runner up, and X ahead of VI and IX makes this poll the worst poll of all time.

As always, the correct rating is VII = VI > IX > VIII = IV > X

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Finished FFXII recently and it was really good. Definitely my second favourite after VI (and before VII).

VIII being runner up, and X ahead of VI and IX makes this poll the worst poll of all time.

As always, the correct rating is VII = VI > IX > VIII = IV > X
I'm liking X being this low. Great battle system but terrible in every other way.

Edit: Well, not 'terrible'. More underwhelming. Monday morning blah.

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Finished FFXII recently and it was really good. Definitely my second favourite after VI (and before VII).

I'm liking X being this low. Great battle system but terrible in every other way.
Harsh I think. Had some great characters (Auron) and I really enjoyed the story. Dark Aeons and the Monster Hunter Arena were great side quests too.

EwanI Ted

How do people feel about the 7 remake? I'm up to Chapter 14 and I'm underwhelmed so far. The battle system feels more like a Tales game than a FF game so far, I'm not really liking the button mashing aspect.