Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

Irwin99

It seems clearer that FF7R will include a lot of the wider cannon; a character from Dirge of Cerberus is in the Yuffie DLC apparently.I remember nothing about that game except the dodgy mechanics and the ending.

...Guess this also could mean that Genesis might be coming back (urghh!) :nervous: :mad:

Tiber

If I want to give modern FF a try should I play the one that just arrived on PS+ or the one from PlayStation Plus Collection (think it's XV)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
If I want to give modern FF a try should I play the one that just arrived on PS+ or the one from PlayStation Plus Collection (think it's XV)
XV is enjoyable enough but it’s lacking in a lot of areas and I feel it gets worse as it goes on. They do a great job of the main characters though.

VII is one of my favourite games so would highly recommend that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm struggling a bit with the FF7 Remake.

I say that, I haven't died yet (and just beat the scorpion looking thing in the reactor but I used nearly all potions) but I find it all a bit complicated having to switch back and forth between Cloud/Barret and also keeping an eye on health/mana and also selecting spells and certain attacks, all whilst having to move them around and out of danger while fighting.

Is that just me?

I saw there was the option for classic turn based when I started but I didn't pick it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

I say that, I haven't died yet (and just beat the scorpion looking thing in the reactor but I used nearly all potions) but I find it all a bit complicated having to switch back and forth between Cloud/Barret and also keeping an eye on health/mana and also selecting spells and certain attacks, all whilst having to move them around and out of danger while fighting.

Is that just me?

I saw there was the option for classic turn based when I started but I didn't pick it.
It seems a lot at first but you soon get used to it and it will come together. Need to deal with having a third player in your party yet aswell.

SuperiorXI

Is that just me?

As I got more and more powerful I just tended to stick with one and let the others do their thing

b82REZ

Is that just me?

I picked classic because I'd hoped it would be entirely turnbased but it isn't.

The hack and slash gameplay will play out itself and you can enter command lists when you earn enough to use an ability. You can still do the hack and slash if you want so I'm not sure how it benefits in anyway picking that combat scheme

el3mel

Is that just me?

Don't care about other characters being in danger or not. Just switch to them for attacking, use their ATP gauge for spell/ability, then switch to another one to do the same and so on. Only switch for attacking to keep the pressure up, let them handle themselves otherwise.

evil_geko

I miss good old turn based Final Fantasy. :( Now it's pandering to hack and slash masses.

And don't tell me turn-based combat is "outdated" and wouldn't sell, Persona 5 and Dragon Quest 11 are here to tell otherwise.

SuperiorXI

I miss good old turn based Final Fantasy. :( Now it's pandering to hack and slash masses.

And don't tell me turn-based combat is "outdated" and wouldn't sell, Persona 5 and Dragon Quest 11 are here to tell otherwise.
Same, the idea that it wouldn't sell is bollocks. If it's good enough it will sell for sure.

FFX was the last really good turn based FF I played.

el3mel

Ffvii remake is more strategic than being hack and slash actually.

evil_geko

Same, the idea that it wouldn't sell is bollocks. If it's good enough it will sell for sure.
Pretty much, look at Yakuza 7, it went from button mashing beat-em-up games to turn based and was received brilliant.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Finally got the time to complete the remake. It's...a mixed bag if that's fair to say?

LOVED the combat. I haven't enjoyed an FF combat system that much since the old turn based games. I liked the environments and I also thought the way they expanded the world and developed characters further was well done.

Having said that; I also hated how they expanded the world and developed characters further, because a lot of it felt like just stretching out moments to make sure the game had a decent play time. The worst bits were where Cloud would slow to a crawl as you walked forward because of now reason whatsoever. I also think the side mission UI was fecked because I gave up running from one end of the map to the other and just went to see Corneo early.

Back to the positives: nicely done with the whole "destiny can change blah blah" so I have no god damn clue what's going to happen next. I'm kind of glad because while a full remake of the original would've been good I'm sort of impressed that they haven't just gone for the cheap and easy nostalgia card.

Look forward to not playing the next one until PS5 and the third and fourth games on the PS6.

Minkaro

:drool:

Just seen they’ve added a second London show to the tour. Going to see if I can get a ticket (or two) to that.

I’m very new to Final Fantasy, only played XV because it was on PSnow, and just started the FFVII remake yesterday, but at some point last year I marathoned every FF soundtrack, and they’re so good. I’d love to hear some of those tracks live.

Irwin99

Anyone playing the new pixel re-releases on steam? If so how are they? I want to wait for a PS release but I quite fancy another go on FFII. I remember playing it on the GBA years ago and actually really liking it despite it being the black sheep of the older games.

Irwin99

Much as I dislike FF13 I hope they re-release it proper just for the sake of having all the titles (except 11) on one single console. I'm pretty confident that FF1-6 remasters will be coming out sometime after Xmas on consoles.

caid

Could they remaster 11 as a single player experience? It was heavily group dependent wasn't it?
Just been playing 14 on and off for a couple of years and its the best Final Fantasy in a long, long time. I feel like 14 would be easy enough to convert and keep alive as a single player game in the future. Would be a bit of a pity if games like Final Fantasy 11 and others from around that time just cease to exist.

Woodzy

Much as I dislike FF13 I hope they re-release it proper just for the sake of having all the titles (except 11) on one single console. I'm pretty confident that FF1-6 remasters will be coming out sometime after Xmas on consoles.
For what it’s worth, I’ve read that FF13 for the Series X is one of the most impressive back compatibility upgrade there is.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm changing jobs in January so naturally lost all motivation to work. Instead of working I've started playing Final Fantasy 14. It's really good actually, always thought it looked a bit sus and the huge global cool down needed getting used to, but now I'm loving it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm changing jobs in January so naturally lost all motivation to work. Instead of working I've started playing Final Fantasy 14. It's really good actually, always thought it looked a bit sus and the huge global cool down needed getting used to, but now I'm loving it.
That's the MMO isn't it? I've heard nothing but good things about it, aside from the launch which I heard was disastrous.

caid

That's the MMO isn't it? I've heard nothing but good things about it, aside from the launch which I heard was disastrous.
The relaunch was pretty good :)
I'd say its the best Final Fantasy since 9 by a mile.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah the initial release was terrible which they admitted. They then destroyed the in game world and remade the game. The whole destroying the world and shite game is part of the story now and the 2nd attempt was great. Great redemption story really.

I don't really fancy mmos anymore though, I just don't want to invest so much time into a video game, but I'm also unable to moderate these things (or any things).

Irwin99

Not a fan of MMOs but even I thought 14 was decent, although still not a fave ( those damn fetch quests!!! :mad: )

On the subject of FF, Anyone looking forward to killing chaos in Stranger of Paradise FF Origin :D:wenger:

:lol:

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
14 is top notch, recently revisited it and haven't stopped playing. I've gone off MMO's in general but this has gripped me.