Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
It'll probably ruffle a few feathers, but I really feel the reputation of FF6 has gotten way out of hand. Said it before on here, and I respect it for what it would've been at the time, but I just feel as an overall product it is very far behind something like FF9. I think with FF7-10, you get games that are really spectacular in terms of the story/soundtrack combination I mention up there. I feel like it's as special for that as, say, The Sopranos is for the writing/characters, or The Wire is for the setting/scope/exploration of themes.

Sorry if it just seems like criticising for no reason, but I don't see what makes FF6 special enough for it to still be seen as one of the best games. I feel like I'm living in some sort of 'Opposite World' when it comes to Kefka for one thing, and I don't see the story/writing as providing anything close to what was done with the ATE system in FF9, or the unbelievable plot twist that is Cloud/Tifa in the Lifestream. The soundtrack is perfect for what it is, but what it is bottlenecks Uematsu in that you can only convey musically the level of information that is contained within the game. Finally, with regards to gameplay, I'm not seeing anything there that makes it really stand out above the others, and in general I don't think all these facets come together as a package as well as FF7-10.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
It'll probably ruffle a few feathers, but I really feel the reputation of FF6 has gotten way out of hand. Said it before on here, and I respect it for what it would've been at the time, but I just feel as an overall product it is very far behind something like FF9. I think with FF7-10, you get games that are really spectacular in terms of the story/soundtrack combination I mention up there. I feel like it's as special for that as, say, The Sopranos is for the writing/characters, or The Wire is for the setting/scope/exploration of themes.

Sorry if it just seems like criticising for no reason, but I don't see what makes FF6 special enough for it to still be seen as one of the best games. I feel like I'm living in some sort of 'Opposite World' when it comes to Kefka for one thing, and I don't see the story/writing as providing anything close to what was done with the ATE system in FF9, or the unbelievable plot twist that is Cloud/Tifa in the Lifestream. The soundtrack is perfect for what it is, but what it is bottlenecks Uematsu in that you can only convey musically the level of information that is contained within the game. Finally, with regards to gameplay, I'm not seeing anything there that makes it really stand out above the others, and in general I don't think all these facets come together as a package as well as FF7-10.

I know a lot of people who put IV way higher than VI.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
If anything, it's FF7 that has had way too much of a positive reputation.
FF6 is a absolute masterpiece within the genre.

KingEric7

I don't see it at all, to be honest. When I think of masterpieces of other genres, I think The Sopranos, The Wire, etc for TV, Scorsese for film... FF6 is just so out of place to me when you put it next to these. Characters, story, writing, structure... the gameplay just isn't good enough to me to make up for what it lacks, and for it to be called a masterpiece.

FF7-10 on the other hand have a synergy between story and soundtrack that is special enough, for me, to warrant being put in this sort of category of production. There's not much I've seen out there that compares in this respect; Amelie, The Truman Show and Lost at its best are ones that come to mind and compare favourably.

Last edited:

Ainu

@KingEric7 To me your posts seem like an elaborate way to say you just don't like FFVI. And that's fine, if you don't like it you don't like it. But all the things you cite as weaknesses are strengths for me and clearly for many others as well. For example I've never seen a better cast of charaters with better back stories, or a better soundtrack, or a better villain, etc. It's a bit silly to discredit those opinions.

It's a masterpiece for me, the best FF and one of the greatest games ever made. Other people can think it's crap, that's fine with me. I'm not going to tell what other people should or shouldn't consider masterpieces.

KingEric7

@KingEric7 To me your posts seem like an elaborate way to say you just don't like FFVI. And that's fine, if you don't like it you don't like it. But all the things you cite as weaknesses are strengths for me and clearly for many others as well. For example I've never seen a better cast of charaters with better back stories, or a better soundtrack, or a better villain, etc. It's a bit silly to discredit those opinions.

It's a masterpiece for me, the best FF and one of the greatest games ever made. Other people can think it's crap, that's fine with me. I'm not going to tell what other people should or shouldn't consider masterpieces.
I don't dislike FF6; I just can't understand the reputation it has. You mention characters with back stories, but the difference between something like FF6 and Planescape: Torment is absolutely off the charts in this respect. Characters and back stories don't have to be of the standard of Planescape: Torment, but it is worth stressing that point given how much people say FF6 is some sort of masterpiece in this respect. I keep hearing about this amazing villain, great characters, etc, but it is just so far from the truth when you look at what it's up against. The Kefka thing... I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a copy of his script, because I feel like I'm living in the Truman Show or something when it comes to this guy.

Ainu

Well you don't have to understand it. Clearly you've already played the game and if it didn't impress you enough to call it a great game, you already have all the information you need to come to that conclusion, I'm not going to be able to give you any new insights. You just have to accept that other people see it differently.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Well you don't have to understand it. Clearly you've already played the game and if it didn't impress you enough to call it a great game, you already have all the information you need to come to that conclusion, I'm not going to be able to give you any new insights. You just have to accept that other people see it differently.
Calm down

AaronRedDevil

15 is my favourite and the only one I've played:wenger:. I will be getting FF7 remake when it comes out. People won't shut up about it

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It's the rep of 7 that is way out of hand, not 6 :lol:

If you were around at launch, you'd know that a lot of people were disappointed in the more linear structure and weaker characters, despite it clearly being a great game still. The fov and tear jerker moments made that game stand out way more. It's also understandable if it was the first one people played, which being on the PS was a lot.

But 6 is the superior game and the series masterpiece. Imo of course.

Edit: Oh and this discussion has been done so many times before and probably in much more detail, so it's really not worth going through again.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's the rep of 7 that is way out of hand, not 6 :lol:

If you were around at launch, you'd know that a lot of people were disappointed in the more linear structure and weaker characters, despite it clearly being a great game still. The fov and tear jerker moments made that game stand out way more. It's also understandable if it was the first one people played, which being on the PS was a lot.

But 6 is the superior game and the series masterpiece. Imo of course.
you sir, are a legend.

FFVII was the first one I played as a kid (too young for the SNES) and instantly became my favourite game, but I played VI on an emulator in my teens and thought it was even better, so for me it wasn't even a case of "I played 6 first so it's better".

Chrono Trigger > both, though.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
you sir, are a legend.

FFVII was the first one I played as a kid (too young for the SNES) and instantly became my favourite game, but I played VI on an emulator in my teens and thought it was even better, so for me it wasn't even a case of "I played 6 first so it's better".

Chrono Trigger > both, though.
Chrono Trigger was such an epic game, the original Secret of Mana too. So many more. Such great times for jrpgs :drool:

Ainu

Sorry, I'm just protective over VII. That game is close to my heart.
I love FFVII! I just love FFVI a little bit more. I've never played Chrono Trigger though, I'm really curious what I'd think of it. I just don't know what platform I can/should play it on nowadays.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I love FFVII! I just love FFVI a little bit more. I've never played Chrono Trigger though, I'm really curious what I'd think of it. I just don't know what platform I can/should play it on nowadays.
PS Vita or the DS surely? Would be perfect on either.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't dislike FF6; I just can't understand the reputation it has. You mention characters with back stories, but the difference between something like FF6 and Planescape: Torment is absolutely off the charts in this respect. Characters and back stories don't have to be of the standard of Planescape: Torment, but it is worth stressing that point given how much people say FF6 is some sort of masterpiece in this respect. I keep hearing about this amazing villain, great characters, etc, but it is just so far from the truth when you look at what it's up against. The Kefka thing... I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a copy of his script, because I feel like I'm living in the Truman Show or something when it comes to this guy.
FFVI is basically the Star Wars of videogames. You're right in saying it doesn't have much depth to it but it's an enjoyable romp.

Revan

Assumptionman
The difference in writing between any game ever and Planescape Torment is of the charts, so that critic is not valid IMO.

I thought that the world of Balance was a masterpiece but the second part of the game had a sharp decrease on quality. Still an all time great though, just that I would put FF7 just slightly ahead.

Irwin99

One problem I have with 6 is that despite every character having a backstory they don't feel very together as a group, they're almost groups within a group. I know Terra is technically the lead character but it doesn't feel very cohesive and I think you can complete the world of ruin with half the cast can't you? Great game though.

Revan

Assumptionman
One problem I have with 6 is that despite every character having a backstory they don't feel very together as a group, they're almost groups within a group. I know Terra is technically the lead character but it doesn't feel very cohesive and I think you can complete the world of ruin with half the cast can't you? Great game though.
Yeah, that is a bit of a problem in The World of Ruin. Actually, the clear leader in The World of Ruin is Celes, I believe she is the only mandatory character in that part of the game (you can complete the game without even recruiting Terra). I don't know if they did the right choice by not having a clear protagonist (both Terra and Celes, and actually to a slightly lesser degree Locke, can be considered as protagonists of the game) but it was definitely a very interesting and novel choice to make. Is there any other game which has done the same?

Ainu

Yeah, that is a bit of a problem in The World of Ruin. Actually, the clear leader in The World of Ruin is Celes, I believe she is the only mandatory character in that part of the game (you can complete the game without even recruiting Terra). I don't know if they did the right choice by not having a clear protagonist (both Terra and Celes, and actually to a slightly lesser degree Locke, can be considered as protagonists of the game) but it was definitely a very interesting and novel choice to make. Is there any other game which has done the same?
FFXII toyed with the idea, having Ashe, Balthier and maybe to a lesser extent Basch as potenial main characters. Vaan is pretty much the player's avatar and point of view in the game, but story-wise he's a glorified supporting character. It's the closest thing to not having a clear protagonist since FFVI.

Irwin99

Playing 8 remastered and absolutely loving it again but I do wish they had put a bit more effort in with backgrounds. The character models (including GFs and enemy models) look great but it sometimes jars with the things they didn't polish. I sense the Steam version will be fantastic with mods.

I've no idea how practical this is but would it be possible for Square Enix to patch the graphics a bit on the PS4? Just smoothing a few things would be really welcome.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Playing 8 remastered and absolutely loving it again but I do wish they had put a bit more effort in with backgrounds. The character models (including GFs and enemy models) look great but it sometimes jars with the things they didn't polish. I sense the Steam version will be fantastic with mods.

I've no idea how practical this is but would it be possible for Square Enix to patch the graphics a bit on the PS4? Just smoothing a few things would be really welcome.
Doubt they will bother.

Played an hour before, enjoying it. Disappointed with the Trophy List though, fairly straightforward and nothing too challenging in there.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
They've butchered the remaster.
In one scene before leaving for Dollet, headmaster Cid is reverted to his old pixelated self. Guess they just forgot?
In the scene on the balcony after the dance, Squall suddenly has black hair while Quistis talks to him. :lol:

Irwin99

In one scene before leaving for Dollet, headmaster Cid is reverted to his old pixelated self. Guess they just forgot?
In the scene on the balcony after the dance, Squall suddenly has black hair while Quistis talks to him. :lol:
Yeah I noticed that with Cid too. Surely that has to be patched? It can be patched, right??? I'm near the Sorceress Parade and I've really enjoyed it so far. Died once fighting Diablos but I'm pretty overpowered now and that's after refusing to abuse the item refine ability (not at this stage any rate)

Art Vandelay

The remasters of 7 and 9 are fairly shoddy too. They aren't even really remasters, just quick cash grabs.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They lost the original master of VIII and some thought it’d never see the light of day again. Be thankful, ya ingrates.

Raw

Disappointed with the Trophy List though, fairly straightforward and nothing too challenging in there.
Wow I had a look, they seem very easy. Most of them are just unlocked naturally through the game, then there's just getting GFs and Triple Triad. At least there isn't any silly grindy ones like the 10,000 kills achievement on the Steam release.