Television The Flash TV Series | Comic Book Stuff in Spoiler Tags Please

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Probably deserves it's own thread now that it's close to happening. Please don't spoil Arrow in here as some people might watch this and then want to go back and watch Arrow.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Shit, I hate that 3 seconds - black screen - 3 seconds - black screen...

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
What others are there?
Gotham, Constantine, Marvel Agents is getting a spinoff or two, and not to mention the pile of movies that are either rebooted or getting made. It may be only me, but it just takes away their novelty and especially when they're done badly which is often the case.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Gotham, Constantine, Marvel Agents is getting a spinoff or two, and not to mention the pile of movies that are either rebooted or getting made. It may be only me, but it just takes away their novelty and especially when they're done badly which is often the case.
It seems to be what the public are interested at the moment, I mean Superhero films do really well at the box office and I haven't checked the ratings for things like Arrow or SHIELD but I'd be surprised if they aren't rating well.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Yes, it's a phase. I'm sure it will be over in a few years.
Constantine looks good and I enjoy Arrow and SHIELD. Not sure about Gotham as Batman is incredibly boring and has been done to death.
Also looking forward to the next batch of Marvel films. Guardians of the Galaxy is a favourite as I've always loved the cosmic stuff such as Silver Surfer, Warlock, etc. I've been a Hawkwind fan since I was a kid so what do you expect?
Not sure about the DC films coming out though. I feel they'll make a mess of them all.

reelworld

I'm looking forward to Constantine and The Flash. Constantine if being done right can be fantastic. He'll be like Gregory House for the occult. I hope they don't make him as someone looking for heaven and redemption.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I'm an absolute sucker for Superhero films, so doing prequels like Gotham or spinoffs like Agents of SHIELD are ok with me. Agents was pretty bad to start off with I felt, but the last couple have been quite interesting and have kept me surprisingly hooked. Gotham could either be a really well done show which doesn't actually fully focus on Batman as a young kid, or it can go tits up by stretching the storyline too much.

As for the reboots, I felt the efforts on the latest Batman and Man of Steel films went down the same path, but ended up with polar opposite results: before they were too "comic book" like, with their predecessors having too much lightheartedness in them to be taken seriously. Nolan completely changed this by giving Batman and Gotham a sinister, dark look and it was a huge success, and the storyline flowed pretty smoothly throughout the 3 films( had to stretch a little for the third, I admit). Man of Steel had the right idea from how he began to be Superman, but they had so many flaws throughout the film that people just found it ridiculous in the end, like leaving his dad in the car during a hurricane to "hide his identity" to Lois Lane being needed in every location for some strange reason.

To the OP, I saw the trailer before and thought it looked the cheesiest out of every tv show/film about superheroes out there. I don't like the main actor at all, but will probably watch this after I finish Arrow.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
To the OP, I saw the trailer before and thought it looked the cheesiest out of every tv show/film about superheroes out there. I don't like the main actor at all, but will probably watch this after I finish Arrow.
I want it to be a little cheesy. Every superhero is being 'Nolanised' in my opinion and I want to see something a little more 'fun'. However, three things bug me:

1. The suit. It looks awful.
2. I can't imagine the lead actor being strong enough to carry a show.
3. Why the hell has Arrow become some sort of guardian angel to Flash, to the point of naming him? Flash is one of the founders of Justice League, surely he should be the one giving Arrow advice?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I want it to be a little cheesy. Every superhero is being 'Nolanised' in my opinion and I want to see something a little more 'fun'. However, three things bug me:

1. The suit. It looks awful.
2. I can't imagine the lead actor being strong enough to carry a show.
3. Why the hell has Arrow become some sort of guardian angel to Flash, to the point of naming him? Flash is one of the founders of Justice League, surely he should be the one giving Arrow advice?
I guess a little cheesy is good, Iron Man is probably the best superhero film going at the moment which has found this balance. In fact, the other avengers are getting this balance right too (Thor and Captain America's latest films did so).

And to your points: suit looks absolute shit yes; he doesn't at all, and I don't know much about the last point...

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Yeah, I know its a phase. Cashing in on these comic book heroes. Which is my point in a way. I can't count myself as I huge fan of superhero movies and comic books in general, so maybe its just me being cynical. Anyway, I'll probably give it a pass unless the reviews are really good.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Wait, Constantine like that film with the matrix guy in? Cool..

The Arrow is good, hopefully the flash will be too.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Oh man, can't believe I'm about to do this.

The lead was good in Glee in the parts I saw him in, I reckon he can pull this off. Don't worry too much about why Arrow is giving him advice, this is essentially a different universe.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wrong actor IMO, he's way too skinny. We'll see how the show turns out.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I wonder if the actor playing Flash will also play Flash on the big screen...

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I watched the second ep today and enjoyed it.
Just watched it. It's pretty enjoyable
Seems Dr. Wells is trying to alter the future, where Flash is either dead/missing in 2024 (I think) based on the newspaper headline showed at the end of Ep 1. I really doubt if the show will run that long so don't know how they will get there.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Just watched it. It's pretty enjoyable
Seems Dr. Wells is trying to alter the future, where Flash is either dead/missing in 2024 (I think) based on the newspaper headline showed at the end of Ep 1. I really doubt if the show will run that long so don't know how they will get there.
I think it could end up that Dr. Wells also has powers and maybe he was the one that went back in time and killed Barry's mother to make sure the Flash was created as he has an important role in 2024.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I think it could end up that Dr. Wells also has powers and maybe he was the one that went back in time and killed Barry's mother to make sure the Flash was created as he has an important role in 2024.
while watching the episode I was thinking maybe Wells is Barry Allen himself who travelled back in time to ensure that the future 2024 as was in the headlines does not come to pass.

MJJ

the boy scientist is annoying, girl one is kinda cute.

I have a theory that the wheelchair guy or flash himself murdered his mom when he disappeared on that date.

note-I haven't read the comics or know flash story so please don't spoil this for me if you have.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
In the comics there are other fast guys, good and bad, so they could make an appearance. I don't read the comics myself... not Flash anyway.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
That treadmill is familiar and I'm sure I heard that it was his means of time travel in the comics.

Ekeke

I really dislike when they kill off enemies from the comics as it seems completely pointless. However there is reason to believe that the enemy from this week's episode could still come back... Also the writers brought Deadshot back from the dead in Arrow with weak storytelling, so thats always possible too if they kill anyone else off.

Barry is a much better casting than Oliver Queen in Arrow, he's been pretty good so far. However once again I ask what the point was changing him from blonde hair to dark hair in the show? Like with Jim Gordon and Barbara in Gotham not being redheads, it doesn't bring anything to the show so why change it?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I've been watching this and I think it has a lot of potential but as someone else mentioned I think the lead actor is a bit wimpy looking.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Also the writers brought Deadshot back from the dead in Arrow with weak storytelling, so thats always possible too if they kill anyone else off.
?
I kind of like the ridiculous 'coming back to life' stories because it is similar to the comics. How many times has The Joker died?

Ekeke

I kind of like the ridiculous 'coming back to life' stories because it is similar to the comics. How many times has The Joker died?
Its true that the comics have had plenty of weak points with regards to dying and bringing people back, or poor explainations for things. I don't understand why you would like it just because of that though.

Isnt the whole point of making changes to the canon storyline that you can try to improve on those poor parts and make things better/clearer for the audience?

I never mind that, its smart to make something better if you can as long as changes arent drastic or to iconic things, or pointless things like hair colour.

Having people come back from the dead with a poor explaination because the comics have done it before is like the opposite of that idea. "Lets bring the worst part of comics into our tv shows based on comics". It sounds like an excuse for poor work.

So I hope The Flash doesn't have things like that. Multiplex is fairly unique so it would be pretty straight forward to bring him back, but it would open a can of worms about universes. I think the Weather Wizard survived the pilot right?

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Just watched the first couple of episodes. It's okay, best part of it so far is Cavanagh, been a fan of his since Ed and his character early on is the most intriguing. Gustin as Barry/Flash isn't too bad, and I've never been a massive enough Flash fan to get precious about any adaptations of him, so I don't mind him being wimpy looking and ridiculously young. The show isn't as good as Arrow, but Arrow took a whole season and a half to become really good. Hoping this doesn't take that long too.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
For some reason I really really dislike the main chick, the cop's daughter.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I always thought Barry Allen was a boring character tbh. Like Clark Kent, no moral ambiguity- everything he does is right. Just found it all quite dull. Wally West was the better Flash anyway!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
For some reason I really really dislike the main chick, the cop's daughter.
Because she's a terrible actor (and it takes a lot to stand out for bad acting on this show!), or a completely selfish character?

Either way, you're not wrong.