The football dominoes that will fall because of covid-19

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yeah exactly. The majority of the stuff i've seen from a few journalists, is whether Liverpool will win the league. And saying that the season should go ahead because they deserve to win it, etc. It must go ahead for them. Feck off. Even putting aside all the deaths and just concentrating on the football aspect, there's way more consequential ramifications for loads of teams in he English division and how they're going to come out of this, and not just whether the scousers get to raise a fecking trophy in the end.

They're obsessed with them in the media
This post made me think that we haven't spent enough time discussing the potential ramifications of covid-19 and the football suspension on teams in English football from a financial perspective. While Liverpool letting their biggest opportunity to win the Premier League in 30 years slip because of a virus from is hilarious, less hilarious will be the effect on teams in the Football League. I fear we could see something similar to what happened with ITV digital in the early 2000s. Many football clubs will struggle with the lack of revenue from 3 weeks on inactivity and if carries on even longer then the problems only gets worse.

I don't know which clubs are struggling to make ends meet but stories like Bury's and Bolton's could repeat themselves in the next few years.

Does football have a responsibility to save these clubs and what do you think will happen?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Does football have a responsibility to save these clubs and what do you think will happen?
Was just discussing this in another thread funnily enough.

Yes, the focus should be on the smaller clubs right now as many of them will go under without a legitimate means to pay their employees.

I worry for Chester City :(

OldSchoolManc

We can’t let grass roots football die.
I think premier league teams at least, should be made to adopt 3-4 lower tier teams.
If those teams make it up the ladder, then a new team should be adopted instead.
Far too much money at the top of the pyramid

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I think premier league teams at least, should be made to adopt 3-4 lower tier teams.
If those teams make it up the ladder, then a new team should be adopted instead.
This is a great suggestion. The benefit to the PL team would be first shout on any promising players, although that might cause conflict of interests if they met in the Cup.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The British state will likely intervene in different sectors and offer financial aid in various forms to avoid industry collapses. At least that is happening in other countries, but its a process that takes a not insignificant time to even present.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
Would be nice if all premier League players donated a week's wage towards the lower league teams. If every player did that it would be a massive amount of money that could be shared out amongst those teams.

cyberman

The British state will likely intervene in different sectors and offer financial aid in various forms to avoid industry collapses. At least that is happening in other countries, but its a process that takes a not insignificant time to even present.
Theyre not closing anything. Theyre penny pinching with peoples loves

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I wonder how many jobs are needed related to football. How can bookies survive if they have to refund everyone? What will happen with all the people who work on match days? People involved in local ratio etc.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This post made me think that we haven't spent enough time discussing the potential ramifications of covid-19 and the football suspension on teams in English football from a financial perspective. While Liverpool letting their biggest opportunity to win the Premier League in 30 years slip because of a virus from is hilarious, less hilarious will be the effect on teams in the Football League. I fear we could see something similar to what happened with ITV digital in the early 2000s. Many football clubs will struggle with the lack of revenue from 3 weeks on inactivity and if carries on even longer then the problems only gets worse.

I don't know which clubs are struggling to make ends meet but stories like Bury's and Bolton's could repeat themselves in the next few years.

I mean clearly the focus should definitely be on he smaller clubs, there's no doubt about that. This has the potential to absolutely ruin them. I do think the the powers that be will step in and remedy the situation if things do indeed get out of hand. Obviously i have no idea where this is going to go; nobody does really. I think it's obvious from here though that this is going to stretch on for some time. Certainly way beyond 3 weeks.

Skills

Snitch
Would be nice if all premier League players donated a week's wage towards the lower league teams. If every player did that it would be a massive amount of money that could be shared out amongst those teams.
Or the clubs worth billions just donate a chunk of the 100s of millions they were planning to spunk in the summer transfer window.

SirAnderson

Was just discussing this in another thread funnily enough.

Yes, the focus should be on the smaller clubs right now as many of them will go under without a legitimate means to pay their employees.

I worry for Chester City :(
This.
Look, the reality also is that big PL clubs will sit with their huge wage bills and have to deal with that but they should have plenty in reserve to carry that load.

The smaller clubs don't.
It comes down to the FA and the bigger clubs, or even government to find a solution to keep all of the a float.

We could be talking a year before things get back to normal.

Luke1995

I'm assuming most teams from the Premier League, La Liga and all the other first division leagues can maintain their money up by selling shirts and other products

Skills

Snitch
Pogba's weekly salary could carry a league 1 club wage bill for at least 3 months!
I say hand it over!
And our summer transfer bill can probably carry the entirety of league 1 for 3 months! Lets hand that over.

C'est Moi Cantona

If the smaller teams are carrying on, then couldn't Sky Sports really put some razzmatazz behind showing these games, they've got feck all to offer just now afterall, really get everyone interested in watching the games, and keeping their sky sports subscriptions a little longer.

Big clubs are just going to have to take a hit, and hand some of the money back to the clubs in need during this period where they are doing nothing to entertain us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Knock on effects?
Presuming it won't just be voided:

Next season being screwed up, meaning a reduction in games one way or another.
Meaning less money for clubs - which can push some to the wall

If it is voided?

Anyone who achieved or could have achieved this season loses out.
Money connotations
Legal battles
Precedents set

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
You guys speak as if the game of football has ever been fair. That's nuts.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm assuming most teams from the Premier League, La Liga and all the other first division leagues can maintain their money up by selling shirts and other products
This is about the smaller clubs who don't have the luxury of shirt sales and other commercial revenues to fall back on.

The bigger clubs from the PL and La Liga can take care of themselves.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Transfer bubble will pop, player valuations go back 20 years due to all losses from disrupted schedule, sponsorship, general global economic problems.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
You're the type of person that steals from charity collection boxes, aren't you?
Football is by nature a reflection of life and life is unfair. The possibility of failure is the very thing that makes success evermore sweet.

90 + 5min

When it comes to PL, Liverpool should be given trophy. No question.

I think this will also affect economi so much that inflated prices should go down as clubs would have less money.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Heard about an American sports person who has donated millions to the normal employees so that they don’t lose out financially from the shutdowns

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Just saw a report about local business' that will lose out around Old Trafford. The knock on effect is considerable.

Luke1995

This is about the smaller clubs who don't have the luxury of shirt sales and other commercial revenues to fall back on.

The bigger clubs from the PL and La Liga can take care of themselves.
Well, in that case, Sky Sports ITV and BT Sports should all unite and give half of their money to them.

Judas

Open to offers

I think this will also affect economi so much that inflated prices should go down as clubs would have less money.
What about all the legitimate reasons as to why they shouldn't just be given the trophy, eh?

Skills

Snitch
Heard about an American sports person who has donated millions to the normal employees so that they don’t lose out financially from the shutdowns
I think it might be Mark Cuban (the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks) who seems to have committed to supporting the arena workers on hourly pay.

Greck

Just saw a report about local business' that will lose out around Old Trafford. The knock on effect is considerable.
Will these businesses continue paying wages if it threatens their existence? You just know some shady CEO is currently tasking his legal department on the legality of it.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
And presumably the cl spots should remain as they are?

And the bottom three clubs just get relegated and loose hundreds of millions

The top2 in the championship get promoted I assume

And then what forget about the play offs and just promote Fulham...

And I'm sure the relegated clubs and the ten or so chasing a play off playe won't take legal action against the premier League

hopefully the euros get postponed and the league's can finish in the summer and play out properly... For sure Liverpool will win the league when that happens but if the league is suspended whatever rule they put in place will have to account for relegation and European (as well as prise money) issues... Lawyers gonna get rich

Skills

Snitch
Will these businesses continue paying wages if it threatens their existence? You just know some shady CEO is currently tasking his legal department on the legality of it.
Well a lot of those employees would be on zero-hours contracts anyway. Zero-hours, zero pay.

Greck

Well a lot of those employees would be on zero-hours contracts anyway. Zero-hours, zero pay.
The hourly employees arent a problem. Thinking more along the lines of biger businesses with contracted employees. A football club for example threatened with going out of business because of the corona suspension. Legally they're required to but this situation is uncharted waters

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Not related to this thread, but a very good friend of mine and his missus work for the same travelling company. And they’re fearing for their job security as tourism has literally shut down.

So yeah, I’d imagine there are quite a few dominoes, within and outside of football that this virus will have a massive affect on.

RUCK4444

Yup agree with this. If not adopting a team then perhaps a big percentage of TV revenue should be used to keep struggling teams afloat.

Funds to pay staff and general overheads.

90 + 5min

What a silly comment.
I don’t think it is. It would be funnier if the season got voided but at the same time it wouldn’t be fair if they didn’t get trophy.

What about all the legitimate reasons as to why they shouldn't just be given the trophy, eh?
Simply because they were best team by miles and we know that nobody would have managed to get to them. I know that they wouldn’t be exactly by rules (if I get it right) but fair in some way.

And presumably the cl spots should remain as they are?

And the bottom three clubs just get relegated and loose hundreds of millions

The top2 in the championship get promoted I assume

And then what forget about the play offs and just promote Fulham...

And I'm sure the relegated clubs and the ten or so chasing a play off playe won't take legal action against the premier League

hopefully the euros get postponed and the league's can finish in the summer and play out properly... For sure Liverpool will win the league when that happens but if the league is suspended whatever rule they put in place will have to account for relegation and European (as well as prise money) issues... Lawyers gonna get rich
Why I believe Liverpool should win the other positions is more unclear. The easy way is to void season if it can’t be played but it is not fair. Very hard desicions to be done. However, all of that is second. First is to save as many as we can who get very ill.

Bojan11

I wonder how many jobs are needed related to football. How can bookies survive if they have to refund everyone? What will happen with all the people who work on match days? People involved in local ratio etc.
Bookies will be fine. Actually they will be few sectors that benefit from this.

Bookies make little on sports betting. It's the slot games online, poker and the rest that they make the money. More people staying at home will mean more chance of them gambling.

Schmeichel=God

How much of this will insurances cover I wonder.

Will the government demand banks offer leeway, payment holidays or similar....before later bailing them out and/or stimulate the economy after stocks continue crashing amongst other economic downturns.

This is gonna be quite the end of many businesses both football and non football related.

Falcow

The likes of Paddy Power etc struggling is another silver lining. Bookies are parasites who feed off gambling addiction. Gambling addiction is a hugely underreported problem in Britan and Ireland.

I think every team in the championship is now sponsored by a beeting firm. I will take some comfort from bookies turnover collapsing.

Apologies I digress.

MrPooni

The majority of PL TV money for the season should be redirected into some kind of support fund for struggling teams otherwise the results on local communities could be devastating.