The Former United Youth/Reserves Thread

kundalini

Callum Gribbin released by Sheff United. Joined promoted Barrow, now in League Two, on a one year deal with a one year option for the club. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53632170

Callum Whelan contract extension until the end of the season, then released by Watford. Joined Oldham in League Two on a 2 year deal https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53952418

James Chester contract extension until the end of the season, then released by Villa. Joined Stoke on a 1 year deal, having been on loan there last season. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53728125

Joe Riley released by Bradford. Joined Carlisle in League Two on a 1 year deal with an option to extend. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53667923

Will Keane released by Ipswich

Tyler Blackett released by Reading. Joined Notts Forest on a 2 year deal. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53791895

Last edited:

trajbu

Callum Gribbin released by Sheff United.

Callum Whelan contract extension until the end of the season, then released by Watford.

James Chester contract extension until the end of the season, then released by Villa.

Joe Riley released by Bradford.
Gutted but not surprised that Gribbin has been released by Sheffield United. I trusted the judgement of our coaches at Manchester United’s academy having been let go a year ago.

On his day the lad showed glimpses of his potential in the U16s and U18s but seems to have fallen out of love for the game and apparently, mentally he is not up for it to succeed in the game and his attitude has changed along the years, probably followinghis countless injuries.

The last time he looked up for the challenge was with our Under 18s. In my opinion, he had the potential to reach a similar level to Jack Grealish.

Prodigal7

Gutted but not surprised that Gribbin has been released by Sheffield United. I trusted the judgement of our coaches at Manchester United’s academy having been let go a year ago.

On his day the lad showed glimpses of his potential in the U16s and U18s but seems to have fallen out of love for the game and apparently, mentally he is not up for it to succeed in the game and his attitude has changed along the years, probably followinghis countless injuries.

The last time he looked up for the challenge was with our Under 18s. In my opinion, he had the potential to reach a similar level to Jack Grealish.
Agreed. I just can’t understand kids with this kind of ability who fall out of love with the game. It’s not like they’ve got something great to fall back on. Shit, Even if you dont enjoy you can still put in the work and become very wealthy with the kind of ability Gribbin has instead of dragging your feet at a league 2 club.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Agreed. I just can’t understand kids with this kind of ability who fall out of love with the game. It’s not like they’ve got something great to fall back on. Shit, Even if you dont enjoy you can still put in the work and become very wealthy with the kind of ability Gribbin has instead of dragging your feet at a league 2 club.
Gribbin will actually fit in quite well at Barrow. Ian Evett who is now the manager at Bolton had them playing some stuff that no conference side has any business playing, really nice football. If David Dunn carries on that new philosophy then Gribbin could be really useful for them, if he can be bothered that is. You sense that there is something he still wants to prove, otherwise he would just pack it in.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He looks like Bubs from The Wire this kid now :lol:

Good luck to him anyway, a good opportunity to show what he can do now he's permanent and it is fully in their interests to ensure he can develop.

pascell

Ben Pearson could be on the move from PNE, Sheff Utd have had a bid for him rejected, think it was £12m, we have a sell on clause for him too.

sajeev

Ben Pearson could be on the move from PNE, Sheff Utd have had a bid for him rejected, think it was £12m, we have a sell on clause for him too.
If I remember correctly he hasn't played a lot recently or am I completely working?
In the rare likelihood that I am right, do you or anyone else know why he didn't play much?

pascell

If I remember correctly he hasn't played a lot recently or am I completely working?
In the rare likelihood that I am right, do you or anyone else know why he didn't play much?
Well PNE unfortunately didn't make the play offs, even though they were within the positions pre lockdown but he's played a lot of minutes since the restart, 90, 90,77,90,64,45. The last two games I'm guessing he was either tired or on a booking, he's quite aggressive in the tackle, he did play 38 games of 46 of the Championship season though.

sajeev

@pascell thanks for replying. That will teach me to depend on the wiki page for stats.
I for one would be very excited to see him in the PL, as I had high hopes

khoazany

Can't think of a better PL club for him than Sheff tbh, he should push for that move.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Think the reporter who said this has been proven to be unreliable, I think so anyway.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd love to see Pearson in the PL, he's become something of a cult hero here in Preston, my friends love him. I think he'd be easily the most booked player in the league.

pascell

Can't think of a better PL club for him than Sheff tbh, he should push for that move.
They'd be a good fit for sure.

Think the reporter who said this has been proven to be unreliable, I think so anyway.
That's a shame, think he'd be a good player in the PL, he's hardworking and got the right tools.

I'd love to see Pearson in the PL, he's become something of a cult hero here in Preston, my friends love him. I think he'd be easily the most booked player in the league.
Fellow Prestonian :cool:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They'd be a good fit for sure.

That's a shame, think he'd be a good player in the PL, he's hardworking and got the right tools.

Fellow Prestonian :cool:
Technically Leyland but close enough :D

kundalini

Lee O'Connor to Tranmere in League Two, on loan from Celtic for the season. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53813605

I think it would be fair to say that his move to Celtic hasn't gone to plan. He made 4 starts in the Scottish Championship on loan at Partick Thistle. Unused sub for the last 2 games before the early end to the season.

Some other moves:

Joe Riley released by Bradford. Joined Carlisle in League Two on a 1 year deal with an option to extend. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53667923

Tyler Blackett released by Reading. Joined Notts Forest on a 2 year deal. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53791895

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Lee O'Connor to Tranmere in League Two, on loan from Celtic for the season. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53813605

I think it would be fair to say that his move to Celtic hasn't gone to plan. He made 4 starts in the Scottish Championship on loan at Partick Thistle. Unused sub for the last 2 games before the early end to the season.
Celtic signed a bunch of the best Irish youth and then parked them in the reserves doing nothing. Been an absolute waste for the lot of them.

O’Connor should have gone abroad to the Netherlands. He isn’t cut out for the rough and tumble dogshit football of the Scottish Championship or League Two.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Celtic signed a bunch of the best Irish youth and then parked them in the reserves doing nothing. Been an absolute waste for the lot of them.

O’Connor should have gone abroad to the Netherlands. He isn’t cut out for the rough and tumble dogshit football of the Scottish Championship or League Two.
You touting for a job as his agent?

In Rainbows

Some other moves:

Kept track of O'Connor too. O'Connor has more than enough quality to play above that level. It strikes me of mismanagement both on the club side and his agent side.

kundalini

DJ Buffonge has joined NAC Breda in the Keuken Kampioen Divisie in the Netherlands on a 2 year deal with a 1 year option, from Spezia Calcio in Serie B in Italy. He barely got any mins either for Spezia or on loan at Pergolettese in Serie C. Spent most of last season as an unused sub.

NAC Breda finished 5th last season in the Netherlands' 2nd tier. Josh Bohui joined them a year ago but only managed 70 mins in total in the Keuken Kampioen Divise, having been injured for the first 3 months of the season. He featured more often for their U21 team.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

They took away Gomes assist for the first goal as one player got a very feather like touch on it. No matter, Gomes gets the assist for the 2nd goal.

Mark Pawelek

Demitri Mitchell played for Blackpool who beat Swindon away 0 - 2. For Swindon: Zeki Fryers was at LB and loanee Kovar was in goal. Swindon started with 3 players all called 'Smith'. Methinks it's time they adopted Latin player naming conventions.

khoazany

That further illustrate my point that in many cases it better to leave the club early and look for first team football down the league. (as much as fans like us don't want to see it).

Jimmy has climbing up the ladder over the years and ended up much higher levels than higher rated peers in the academy.

Acole9

Outstanding
He looked like a giant on the pitch but apparently he's only six foot. Looked a lot taller than that to me.

Beaucoup

That further illustrate my point that in many cases it better to leave the club early and look for first team football down the league. (as much as fans like us don't want to see it).

Jimmy has climbing up the ladder over the years and ended up much higher levels than higher rated peers in the academy.
It's a difficult decision, but it appears more and more players are making the move.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Theoretically the competition at lower clubs is less as the standards are generally lower. So it makes sense for a lot of youngsters at most top flight clubs to try their luck in the other three divisions.

Given the level of coaching they get up to 15/16 it should help them stand out and progress.

Having said that...there are still multiple factors concerned and although it's great news for Jimmy it doesn't mean it will work for everyone as the statistics show.

kundalini

Tom Sang gone on loan to Cheltenham in League Two until January from Cardiff. Lots of former United youth players now playing in League Two. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54255199

Tosin Kehinde has turned his loan move to Randers in Denmark, into a permanent transfer on a 3 year deal, from Feirense in Portugal. He only featured for Feirense's U23 team, as far as I'm aware.

Josh Bohui has joined Colchester in League Two from NAC Breda. He didn't feature much for them last season but did start the first two Keuken Kampioen Divisie games this season, scoring once, then a sub for the next two, and an unused sub for the most recent two games.

Will Keane has joined Wigan in League One on a short term deal until Jan 9th.

Indy Boonen left United to join KV Oostende in Belgium's Jupiler Pro League in summer 2018. Since then he's spent most of his time as a sub, typically an unused sub. Only 241 mins last season in the League, 0 goals 1 assist. However, managed to make 2 starts so far this season in 6 games.

Last edited: