The Former United Youth/Reserves Thread

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He really never looked anything special with us, goes to show how hard it is to judge youngsters sometimes.

Mickson

I have written about our former youth players again (born 1985-2000). I have done a couple of interviews with some of them as well (not this time though). Here is the one about the ones born in 1990. Oliver Gill, obviously, has a particularly interesting story: https://manutdungdom.blogg.se/2020/november/unitedprodukterna-fodda-1990-vad-hande-sen.html
And again, what happened to the youth products born in 1991? Cameron Stewart's new job in medicine, where does Davide Petrucci play? And Scott Wootton's downfall after conceding a penalty for United against Chelsea, which Hazard scored. And much more: https://manutdungdom.blogg.se/2021/february/unitedprodukterna-fodda-1991-vad-hande-sen.html

Mickson

And again, what happened to the youth products born in 1991? Cameron Stewart's new job in medicine, where does Davide Petrucci play? And Scott Wootton's downfall after conceding a penalty for United against Chelsea, which Hazard scored. And much more: https://manutdungdom.blogg.se/2021/february/unitedprodukterna-fodda-1991-vad-hande-sen.html
What happened to all the youth products born in 1992? Fergie's rage against Levy, Brady watching Obertan and Bebe shine, Tunnicliffe's bet, and more: https://manutdungdom.blogg.se/2021/march/unitedprodukterna-fodda-1992-vad-hande-sen.html

Mickson

Good read mate, thank you for that.
Thanks. I have been able to get a few interviews in earlier articles if you have not seen it, however, it has been getting harder and harder. Hopefully, I will get some more in the next ones.

kundalini

Tom Sang has started 3 Championship games for Cardiff since the beginning of March. Prior to that, he had been an unused sub since returning from loan at Cheltenham in League Two.

His current contract is until summer 2022. He will be 22 in late June. I will be interested to see whether he can establish himself at Championship level.

Matt Olosunde 18 starts 8 sub for Rotherham in the Championship. He turned 23 in early March. His contract expires in the summer. Rotherham have offered him a new deal.

I wonder if a young player is better off not assuming they will make it at United, therefore less likely to suffer a slump when they are forced to move on. So many appear to find it difficult to establish themselves at other clubs.

Matty Willock has 0 starts 11 sub appearances this season in League One for Gillingham. Josh Bohui 0 starts 11 sub appearances for Colchester in League Two. He turned 22 in early March. Was playing for Colchester's U23 side in Feb. DJ Buffonge's post United career has consisted of occasional sub appearances in amongst a lot of unused sub; currently at NAC Breda in the Keuken Kampion Divisie in the Netherlands.

Callum Gribbin 23 mins for Barrow in League Two this season. I assume they won't be taking up the option for another year. Callum Whelan has started the last 3 League matches for Oldham, having been a sub most games since early November. He was a starter for the first 2 months of the season.

Demi Mitchell joined Blackpool in League One this summer. He began the season as their starting left-back, then lost his place in the team by the end of October, restricted to sub appearances. Recently back in the team as right midfield. He was originally an attacking player in United's youth set-up.

Josh Harrop signed a new deal with Preston earlier this season, spent most of the first half of the season as an unused sub, 190 mins playing time. Then sent on loan to Ipswich in League One. 3 starts 10 sub appearances, 0 goals + 1 assist. Sent off against Wimbledon.

Mats Moller Daehli is back in the Bundesliga 2 on loan at Nuremburg, a year after signing for KRC Genk in the Jupiler Pro League. He turned 26 in March.

Last edited:

KevinJoh

Tom Sang has started 3 Championship games for Cardiff since the beginning of March. Prior to that, he had been an unused sub since returning from loan at Cheltenham in League Two.

His current contract is until summer 2022. He will be 22 in late June. I will be interested to see whether he can establish himself at Championship level.

Matt Olosunde 18 starts 8 sub for Rotherham in the Championship. He turned 23 in early March. His contract expires in the summer. Rotherham have offered him a new deal.

I wonder if a young player is better off not assuming they will make it at United, therefore less likely to suffer a slump when they are forced to move on. So many appear to find it difficult to establish themselves at other clubs.

Matty Willock has 0 starts 11 sub appearances this season in League One for Gillingham. Josh Bohui 0 starts 11 sub appearances for Colchester in League Two. He turned 22 in early March. Was playing for Colchester's U23 side in Feb. DJ Buffonge's post United career has consisted of occasional sub appearances in amongst a lot of unused sub; currently at NAC Breda in the Keuken Kampion Divisie in the Netherlands.

Callum Gribbin 23 mins for Barrow in League Two this season. I assume they won't be taking up the option for another year. Callum Whelan has started the last 3 League matches for Oldham, having been a sub most games since early November. He was a starter for the first 2 months of the season.
I am really surprised to see that like Tom Sang and Olosunde (who both honestly I thought are nowhere close to talents) have better career than for example Willock/Buffonge/Bohui. Gribbin had problems so he is different story. I can remember that Bohui was even close to first team at one moment, had some minutes in preseason I think. I guess it is up to adaptability to other clubs.

kundalini

Released by their current club: James Wilson, Callum Gribbin, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Josh Bohui, Zeki Fryers, Donald Love, Sean Goss, Ro-Shaun Williams, Matty Willock, Darron Gibson, Paul McShane, Corry Evans, Alex Fojticek.

I imagine most of them will find a new club on lower wages. Still lots of clubs that haven't announced their released lists.

Matt Olosunde, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Will Keane and Reece James have received contract offers from Rotherham, Luton, Wigan and Doncaster respectively, discussions taking place. Carlisle have taken up the + 1 year option in Joe Riley's contract. Similarly, Blackburn have used their option to extend Joe Rothwell's contract, while further discussions take place regarding a new deal.

Ashley Fletcher has been released by Middlesbrough. Joined Watford. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57448465

Matty James has been released by Leicester. He had been on loan this season.

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson has joined Burton Albion in League One on a 2 year deal. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57390016

James Wilson has joined Port Vale in League Two on a 2 year deal. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57386402

Reece James has joined Blackpool, promoted to the Championship through the play-offs, on a 3 year deal. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57371204

Ro-Shaun Williams has joined Doncaster in League One on a 2 year deal. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57528910

Matt Olosunde has joined Preston in the Championship on a 2 year deal. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57674093

Ryan Tunnicliffe has joined Portsmouth in League One on a 2 year deal. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57626302

Last edited:

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Released by their current club: James Wilson, Callum Gribbin, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Josh Bohui, Zeki Fryers, Donald Love, Sean Goss, Ro-Shaun Williams, Matty Willock, Darron Gibson, Paul McShane, Corry Evans.

I imagine most of them will find a new club on lower wages. Still lots of clubs that haven't announced their released lists.

Matt Olosunde and Reece James have received contract offers from Rotherham and Doncaster respectively, discussions taking place. Carlisle have taken up the + 1 year option in Joe Riley's contract. Similarly, Blackburn have used their option to extend Joe Rothwell's contract, while further discussions take place regarding a new deal.
Robbie Brady has been released by Burnley too

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Wilson couldn’t hack/wasnt arsed at L2? He probably has his money made from the big utd contract but it’s mad to me that we never heard about him again at all. He was amongst our very best youth players at one stage. Injuries?

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Wilson couldn’t even hack/wasnt arsed at L2. He probably has his money made from the big utd contract but it’s mad to me that we never heard about him again at all. He was amongst our very best youth players at one stage. Injuries?
He was Salford’s second top scorer. How didn’t he hack it?

Injuries? If you have to ask then you don’t actually have any clue how he’s doing. Yet you’re more than happy to come in and slag him off and claim he wasn’t arsed. Why?

Ali Dia

He was Salford’s second top scorer. How didn’t he hack it?

Injuries? If you have to ask then you don’t actually have any clue how he’s doing. Yet you’re more than happy to come in and slag him off and claim he wasn’t arsed. Why?
I was only asking why he was released? He was a super prospect but he hasn’t set the world alight since he left here. I’m not slagging him off at all. I thought Salford would be perfect for him.

pascell

Wilson couldn’t hack/wasnt arsed at L2? He probably has his money made from the big utd contract but it’s mad to me that we never heard about him again at all. He was amongst our very best youth players at one stage. Injuries?
Maybe he's been offered a better deal elsewhere, maybe in a higher division?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I was only asking why he was released? He was a super prospect but he hasn’t set the world alight since he left here. I’m not slagging him off at all. I thought Salford would be perfect for him.
You claimed he hasn’t hacked it and isn’t arsed. How isn’t that slagging him off? You weren’t only asking anything, you immediately stated he isn’t arsed, has failed and only cares about money. Only asking why he was released wouldn’t be prefaced with a load of bullshit.

Ali Dia

You claimed he hasn’t hacked it and isn’t arsed. How isn’t that slagging him off? You weren’t only asking anything, you immediately stated he isn’t arsed, has failed and only cares about money. Only asking why he was released wouldn’t be prefaced with a load of bullshit.
Whats so hard to understand about what I wrote? He looked a potential PL level player at one stage. He’s got 10 goals in 35 L2 and has just been released. I was wondering why that’s all. He could still be potentially above that level and 10 goals isn’t bad. I’m Surprised they didn’t retain him and I asked why was he injured or not training hard or what and then you jumped in to save the day. Do you know why he was released?

kundalini

Whats so hard to understand about what I wrote? He looked a potential PL level player at one stage. He’s got 10 goals in 35 L2 and has just been released. I was wondering why that’s all. He could still be potentially above that level and 10 goals isn’t bad. I’m Surprised they didn’t retain him and I asked why was he injured or not training hard or what and then you jumped in to save the day. Do you know why he was released?
Salford are in a hurry. They have no patience. They fired Richie Wellens because they weren't in the play-off spots. James Wilson appears to have been injured for much of the time since Gary Bowyer was appointed in late March. There is an article in the Manchester Evening News which mentions Wilson back in training in mid April but he never even made the bench in the remaining matches of the season. At a guess, Bowyer felt that Wilson's salary could be better used on a new player.

James Wilson suffered a cruciate ligament injury in October 2016 during a loan spell at Derby. While it is debatable whether he was on course to become a PL player, since then he has struggled, initially for our U23s the following autumn, then on loan at Sheff United in the Championship in the 2nd half of the season, then Aberdeen. Wilson was fit for most of his time in Scotland but lost his place as their striker to Cosgrove after a couple of months, becoming a back-up player, used in a variety of roles, including wide right.

I think it would be fair to say that Wilson looked better in United's youth system than he did during his limited first team opportunities here, though there were moments when his pace and shooting ability were in evidence. His loan to Brighton was not as successful as hoped but he was still young at that stage. During his short loan at Derby he made 3 starts, 1 sub, 0 goals, then an unused sub for 3 matches before his injury.

I have no idea about his motivation at any stage of his career.

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Salford are in a hurry. They have no patience. They fired Richie Wellens because they weren't in the play-off spots. James Wilson appears to have been injured for much of the time since Gary Bowyer was appointed in late March. There is an article in the Manchester Evening News which mentions Wilson back in training in mid April but he never even made the bench in the remaining matches of the season. At a guess, Bowyer felt that Wilson's salary could be better used on a new player.

James Wilson suffered a cruciate ligament injury in October 2016 during a loan spell at Derby. While it is debatable whether he was on course to become a PL player, since then he has struggled, initially for our U23s the following autumn, then on loan at Sheff United in the Championship in the 2nd half of the season, then Aberdeen. Wilson was fit for most of his time in Scotland but lost his place as their striker to Cosgrove after a couple of months, becoming a back-up player, used in a variety of roles, including wide right.

I think it would be fair to say that Wilson looked better in United's youth system than he did during his limited first team opportunities here, though there were moments when his pace and shooting ability were in evidence. His loan to Brighton was not as successful as hoped but he was still young at that stage. During his short loan at Derby he made 3 starts, 1 sub, 0 goals, then an unused sub for 3 matches before his injury.

I have no idea about his motivation at any stage of his career.
sorry I didn’t realise I hadn’t replied to this. Great reply. Thank you. It looks like he’s gone to Port Vale.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Puigmal was released earlier this year.
Almeria plays in Spain's segunda (2nd) division.

lysglimt

Scout
Ex Man Utd youth cup winning captain David Jones has joined Wrexham as player coach.
I remember one season in the reserves when he was totally dominant - probably the most dominant player I have seen in the reserves ever (probably partially because many of the players he played with were not great but still). I thought he would have go on to have a better career than he did - even if he did perfectly fine in all honesty

Luke1995

Macheda seems to have found a good career path in Panathinaikos. Happy for him as it's definitely not a small club.

It's hard to find good highlights so I wonder if that's down to a technical improvement in his game that was lacking at previous clubs, or if the greek league is the right one for his talent.

He's in his fourth season there with a contract until 2023.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Aidan Barlow just scored his first senior goal I'm hearing on sky?

I remember the name, but not so much the player if I'm honest.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Aidan Barlow just scored his first senior goal I'm hearing on sky?

I remember the name, but not so much the player if I'm honest.
Quite a talented lad, just overshadowed by a lot of the better attacking players we had around the club at that time. He was always very enjoyable to watch for the youth teams.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Quite a talented lad, just overshadowed by a lot of the better attacking players we had around the club at that time. He was always very enjoyable to watch for the youth teams.

Think he also just went through a tough time and didn't kick on. Great to hear he scored today.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

Thanks bud :) appreciate that.

Hopefully he's onto a career in the game! Looks to have an eye for a pass, tidy feet and good vision.