The Fourth RedCafe Sheep Draft

OP

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman

The outline of this format is as follows :

- All-Time pool subject to constraints placed by round question.

- There will be no order of picking unless otherwise indicated.

- Once a pick is made, it is final.

- Before every round, we, the mods, will post a new criteria, and every manager has to PM us their pick that meets the criteria. More on that in the following points.

- Every manager will be allowed three picks (attempts) in every round to pick a player in every round. If you manage to sign a player successfully in the first pick (attempt), you will not participate in the next two attempts for that round, obviously.

- At the end of every picking round we will announce which managers successfully signed their players, but we will NOT announce the name of the players, so that the managers who failed in that attempt would have to make their second/third attempt without the knowledge of which players were picked in the same round earlier.

- How does a manager get his pick? You get your pick if and only if you were the only one who chose that player. There are FOUR ways in which your pick will be blocked:

1. In the same round and same attempt there were other managers who chose the same player and bid the same or more for him.
2. The player you chose was already successfully signed by someone in the same round in the previous attempt.
3. Your pick doesn't match the criteria.

4. Some geezer activated a POWER CARD

Before we go further, here's a simple example.
Let's say A, B, C, D and E are playing the draft.

We announce the criteria - Round 1 - pick a player who was a World Cup winner.

All 5 managers PM me their picks as follows :

Pick 1 :

A : Pele
B : Pele
C : Ronaldo
D : Maradona
E : Matthaus

According to the rules, A and B don't get any players and their picks are BLOCKED. C, D and E successfully sign their players. So, at the end of the deadline we will post something like this:

Results of Round 1, Pick 1:

A : Blocked (Pele)
B : Blocked (Pele)
C : Pass
D : Pass
E : Pass

Blocked List : Pele.

Important : We will NOT announce the names of successfully drafted players till the end of the round. So the managers going into the second/third attempt will not be knowing which players apart from the ones that were blocked due to duplicate entries are not available.

Now, A and B have to submit again for the same criteria as their second attempt. Let's say :

A : Maradona
B : Beckenbauer

And we announce after deadline:

Results Round 1, Pick 2 :

A : Fail (player already drafted)
B : Pass

B gets his pick as it was not picked by another manager in the same attempt while also not being drafter earlier. A misses his pick again even though it was not picked by another manager in the same round, it was drafted by someone else earlier.

Now, A has to go for a third and last attempt. Let's say :

A : Beckenbauer.

And we announce :

Round 1, Pick 3 results :

A : Fail (player already drafted).

Full round results :

A : Sheep
B : Beckenbauer
C : Ronaldo
D : Maradona
E : Matthaus

A again fails, as B had already successfully drafted Beckenbauer which A wasn't aware of.

So, A ends the round without any player and will be assigned a sheep.

End of example.

Sheep will be nominated by other managers at the end of the round. A sheep pick is a rubbish player, and one who will be a clear weakness for any team. This is a way to punish the manager who failed in all his 3 attempts in a round. No other rules apply, just throw names in there and argue about their relative merits at will.

The sheep pick for a round must meet the criteria of the round and the final allocation will be done by the Evil Sheep Committee.

- There will be 12 rounds and squads will have a maximum of 14 players (there might be rounds which allow you to pick more than one player).

- Every round will have a new criterion, so the number of total criteria would be equal to the number of rounds. The new criteria will be posted only at the end of the current round. So, you won't be knowing what kind of players will fall into the next criteria, hence you should cover the difficult positions (Keeper and defense) as early as possible. There could be rounds based on scoring records, for example. So be prepared for all scenarios.

- Important : In the view of the previous point, every manager MUST have a goalkeeper by the end of round 10.

- NO NAMING of unpicked players. Even though there is no order in this, this rule still applies.

STALINIST DEADLINES :

1 Round per day

Questions will be posted at 10PM GMT (except R1 because you are a bunch of junkies that won’t even let us finish the rules)

11AM GMT is the deadline for Pick 1 and results will be posted soon after

6PM GMT is the deadline for Pick 2 and results will be posted soon after

10PM GMT is the deadline for Pick 3 and results and the question for the next round will be posted soon after

If you miss a round completely (3 deadlines in total), we will kick you out of the draft. If deadlines suck for you then get an AM.

The Tournament

Once we have drafted all teams managers will post their Best XI. All managers will submit a numbered inverse ranking of the other 15 teams (i.e. best team is 15. Manager, to make our tallying easier). The 16 teams with the highest score go through to play matches. In the event of level scores, the one with the lowest individual score will go through. If there’s still a tie the Evil Committee will accept bribes before making a call.

After that, there will be straight knockouts till we reach the final. The Round of 16 will consist of two gamethreads with 4 matchups each and 8 voting options with a maximum of 4. Managers will be allowed a 250 word pitch for their side inc. link to profile posts.

A deadline will be set which all managers must meet. Those who don’t will enter a blank teamsheet.

No posting of humongous player profiles or gifs is allowed thereafter, just plain text discussion to specifically address points raised by others about their teams. Managers not complying with this will be alerted and potentially disqualified if they keep at it.

Usual matchthreads and rules apply for QF and onwards.

Reinforcements
There will be 2 reinforcements after the R16 and QF, 1 after the semi. Details will be revealed when the time comes, but be prepared to have unorthodox rules in place.

We hope that was clear. Now for the fun part…

Last edited:

The Stain

POWER CARDS

All players receive the following Power Cards for one-time use at their discretion.

IMPORTANT:

We must be told an hour in advance A card will be used so we can prepare stuff in advance for a busy hour around deadline. If it then leads you to using others that's fine..

PROTECTOR:

Protect a player, any player, for a pick (not the entire round, just the one pick). If anyone selects the player the outcome isn't BLOCKED but FAIL.

Just to make it clear:

Protected players are also protected from you.

CHEAT:

Get a chance to see what everyone else has picked before deciding on your pick. If others are also using the CHEAT card that round you get a ? (when we show you the others picks, anyone also using cheat card will be jotted down as "?" next to his name).

We OBVIOUSLY won't show bids, just targeted players.

To help you even more:

Be aware that if you use the card for P2/P3, you will know what players are being targeted but you won't know whether they have already (been) PASS(ed)/FAIL(ed)/BLOCKED.

Managers must inform they will be using the CHEAT card one hour before the deadline and be ready to submit their pick no more than 10 minutes after the picks are revealed.

You need to be online at deadline and then we'll show you the picks (not bids). Thereafter you have 10 mins to decide on your pick.

SHITHEAD:

Pick any drafter and make his pick fail for one pick, just because you can. It will show as FAIL.

PASS:

Skip a round, everyone will have 15 chances to pick but only 14 players can be picked, so long as you don’t skip a double-player round you’ll be fine. Can’t be used after Pick 1.

If you don't use it you will not be able to participate in the bonus round.

Must notify us 1 hr before P1 at latest.

BUDGET

Everyone gets a 100M budget and can spend up to 40M on a player in increments of 1M.

What the feck? This is how it works:

When submitting your pick in Pick 1 of each round, you can also put a bid in, alongside your pick, to try to secure the player if you wish. If two or more managers go for Djemba-Djemba but one offered 35M and the other 32M the former gets him and the other FAILS. The manager who fails in this instance gets his money back.

If two or more bidders bid the same amount; the player gets blocked and they lose their money as well, so think carefully.

If you are the only one picking a specific player and you have also made a bid; the money will be taken from your budget.

To make it clear, you can only bid for players in Pick 1 of each round. Budgets are useless in reinforcement rounds.

SPECIAL EVENTS

There will be special events in certain Rounds (starting from Round 5). These will be announced after Pick 1 results so that those with successful picks don’t get bored and have something to do until Pick 3 and the new question are in.

Some events can have multiple winners and losers, most will just have one winner (e.g. first to solve a riddle) and the winner will be awarded special power cards only known to them… until they activate them. Mwahahahahah!

Last edited:
R1 - Criteria

The Stain

R1 - Pick a country

As the title says. Pick a country to make it your own.

At the end you'll have access to any player ever to play for their NT (countries defined as modern day existing countries).

If you don't have a country after pick 3 then you know what happens..

Deadline 11 AM GMT to get things on the right track.

No bids or usage of cards for R1. Consider this round a freebie (in all aspects). You're welcome.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Great way to start a draft by the way, it'll be a massacre

The Stain

PS. All countries that are blocked, players from those countries are ineligible for the rest of the draft.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Does this include any definition of a country?

So for instance, Yugoslavia, Croatia and Serbia can all be included as "different" countries?

Players national origin is then tied to the name of the country that existed when player played?

The Stain

This one was anto's idea so i'll let him answer any q's.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
You may use the definition of country chosen in the previous draft.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Birth place make things easier IMO.

Modern countries so that there are more countries potentially available

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@The Stain clarification on players who featured for more than one country?
Yeah, this.

I pick Country A successfully. Someone else picks Country B successfully.

My player of choice is Player X - who has caps for both Country A and Country B.

What if the other guy wants Player X too - how do you determine who gets him? I take it there is no draft order as such, so it would have to be determined in some other manner, right?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Yeah, this.

My player of choice is Player X - who has caps for both Country A and Country B.

What if the other guy wants Player X too - how do you determine who gets him? I take it there is no draft order as such, so it would have to be determined in some other manner, right?
I assume the country he's born in or the one he has more caps for should be the deciding factor. Up to the mods to decide which one though

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

I'm overdoing it with pictures, aren't I?

The Stain

What does this mean? If successful, I can only pick players from that country all through the draft?
No. If you pick a country and noone else picks that same country; then you, and only you, get to pick a player from that country when you pass. Just send your player to us in your convo once you've passed.

The Stain

I'll just go get a beer, sit back and drink down your agony.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
If I have the country X, it means nobody would be in a position to pick a player from X during the whole draft?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Does this include any definition of a country?

So for instance, Yugoslavia, Croatia and Serbia can all be included as "different" countries?

Players national origin is then tied to the name of the country that existed when player played?
CURRENTLY EXISTING COUNTRIES, ergo no Yugoslavia, USSR, Czechoslovakia and whatnot.

If the country currently doesn't exist it's ineligible and all players to have only played for that country become ineligible. E.g. nobody can pick Czechoslovakia and therefore can't pick Masopust later as you can't pick Czechoslovakia.

Simple rule, there's like 200 countries to pick with massive pools.

@The Stain clarification on players who featured for more than one country?
First country they were capped for. If that country is ineligible you can use their second country. If that is also ineligible the third, and so on.

Yeah, this.

It can't happen as, by definition, nobody played first for two countries.

What does this mean? If successful, I can only pick players from that country all through the draft?
Just this one round.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What about this, then:

I pick Country B successfully.

Player X has caps for Country A, Country B and Country C in that order chronologically.

Nobody picks Country A successfully.

Can I then select Player X - or is he considered, for the purposes of the draft, to represent Country A and only Country A?