Media Thread

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
https://www.thedailybeast.com/dr-fa...rus-cure-says-we-dont-operate-on-how-you-feel

Fkin hell - F&f doing everything to try and get Fauci to play with them to defend glorious leader against a reckless statement he made.

You watch that video and one of the primary thoughts going through my head is : every single fkin time you talk to a Fox fan that other countries are doing some things we should be able to do here it's "MAGA, don't care what other countries are doing - American healthcare is the best" Yet now all of the sudden to defend glorious leader we should do what some other countries are doing using arbitrary statistics?!

Hypocrisy case evidence #538,828,929,000

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Lindy Graham was railing about wet markets. The whole bats and monkeys line. I think Fox will go large on that for a while.

Revan

Assumptionman
https://www.thedailybeast.com/dr-fa...rus-cure-says-we-dont-operate-on-how-you-feel

Fkin hell - F&f doing everything to try and get Fauci to play with them to defend glorious leader against a reckless statement he made.

You watch that video and one of the primary thoughts going through my head is : every single fkin time you talk to a Fox fan that other countries are doing some things we should be able to do here it's "MAGA, don't care what other countries are doing - American healthcare is the best" Yet now all of the sudden to defend glorious leader we should do what some other countries are doing using arbitrary statistics?!

Hypocrisy case evidence #538,828,929,000
Republicans and Fox have gone full religious in Trump we trust. I mean, his tweet about that drug was likely based on Trump hearing something about the French study, it could have easily been for one of the 50+ other drugs that are in trials. The way how this has been politicized is disgusting.

But knowing that we are in a perverse simulation, of course, that in the end that drug is going to be the best drug ever.

Drifter

American
This is Faux News 101. "Migrant Caravan is coming", "They are coming for your guns",. Makes you wonder if their viewers ever venture out of their houses.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

Ouch!
I can see how the tipsy Judge copes. But how do the rest of them survive without a conscience? That video should air everyday, in prime time, tilNovember and beyond.

Charles Miller

Fox News is awful, but majority of them are not claiming to be journalists, and is clear that they have a side. I think CNN is worse. They pretend be serious. Look at Chris Cuomo, who is expending his life satanizing universal health care, even when he knows that millions of his people are suffering, the greed excuse of a human being doesn't care. Now that he is sick(of course getting a world class treatment) he and his evil brother, mister "lets cut 3.000 hospital beds in New York to save money", are putting on daily show at CNN, and ingenuous people in the comments think they are the good guys.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Fox News is awful, but majority of them are not claiming to be journalists, and is clear that they have a side. I think CNN is worse. They pretend be serious. Look at Chris Cuomo, who is expending his life satanizing universal health care, even when he knows that millions of his people are suffering, the greed excuse of a human being doesn't care. Now that he is sick(of course getting a world class treatment) he and his evil brother, mister "lets cut 3.000 hospital beds in New York to save money", are putting on daily show at CNN, and ingenuous people in the comments think they are the good guys.

They are all shit. There is no good journalism left. That idiot who asked the Surgeon-General if he was using offensive terms like 'pop-pop'! FFS I hate them all.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
"Hey guys, I spout misinformation, racism and conspiracy theories to the largest cable news audience in the country, but it's not really that bad, because technically I'm not a journalist."
I mean do you honestly believe that FOX people have any less of an impact on their audience? You can criticize CNN plenty without downplaying what FOX does.

Last edited:

Dr. StrangeHate

I hope the Dr. Oz guy was talking about 2-3 % of general population than children. Both bad, but one is incomprehensible.

Foxbatt

Revan

Assumptionman
Lou Dobbs Suggests Coronavirus Could Be a Biological Weapon, Proposes U.S. Take China to War

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-l...ogical-weapon-proposes-u-s-take-china-to-war/

Why does Lou Dobbs as a opinion on anything not related to business?
Lou Dobbs is an idiot, but if really, this was a biological weapon (I don't think it is) then surely some extreme measures need to be taken. Obviously a war between nuclear powers is MAD, but the US would be within their rights to default the debt they have to China, and to put sanctions on everything towards China (which would also mean every US company to leave China ASAP). It would harm the world's economy a lot, but how do you deal with someone who kills 100k citizens of yours?

Revan

Assumptionman
Would be a pretty damn shitty biological weapon if it’s killing less than 10% of who gets it.
I think that it is more likely to be a leak rather than something which was deliberately spread. And more likely to be something natural that was leaked by a lab. And even more likely to be something totally natural that happened in nature.

So, I would say:

natural - very likely
leaked from a lab that was doing experiments with bats - unlikely
biological weapon leaked from a lab - very unlikely
biological weapon unleashed from China - no way

The fact that it seems to be able to spread in different mammals (tigers, dogs) makes me believe that it was not that hard for it to make the jump from a bat to pangolin to humans (or maybe independent jumps from bats to different mammals). So, probably it does not need a lab, or even a wet market for that to happen.

Foxbatt

The French know that lab very well. In fact they were the ones who set it up. Today they have categorically said it's a natural one and not manufactured.

Carolina Red

Staff
I think that it is more likely to be a leak rather than something which was deliberately spread. And more likely to be something natural that was leaked by a lab. And even more likely to be something totally natural that happened in nature.

So, I would say:

natural - very likely
leaked from a lab that was doing experiments with bats - unlikely
biological weapon leaked from a lab - very unlikely
biological weapon unleashed from China - no way

The fact that it seems to be able to spread in different mammals (tigers, dogs) makes me believe that it was not that hard for it to make the jump from a bat to pangolin to humans (or maybe independent jumps from bats to different mammals). So, probably it does not need a lab, or even a wet market for that to happen.
Agreed

Drifter

American
Fox and Friends in touch with the working person

Even ‘Fox and Friends’ host Ainsley Earhardt questions Trump’s latest plan: What about my au pair?

“Fox & Friends” expressed rare criticism of Donald Trump after the president suddenly announced a temporarily immigration ban amid the coronavirus pandemic. Co-host Ainsley Earhardt was worried about what might happen to foreign workers, specifically her au pair.

“Many families here, including mine — we have au pairs, and we rely on them,” she said. “I go to work at three o’clock in the morning, so I need her there. And I need her in my house so that she can help me with my daughter.”

“Many families rely on child care from other countries,” Earhardt continued. “These au pairs come here on work visas. They have to go back to their country to get the visas renewed, and we’ve been talking in my house about how that’s going to happen.”

That’s when co-host Brian Kilmeade revealed the existence of an apparent broader au pair contingent at Fox News.

“Yeah, I just want to say — I know a lot of people who have au pairs that come here legally,” he said. “Someone we all know has been waiting on one for a matter of months now . . .”

Details of Trump’s plan remained unclear when his favorite morning show took up the issue Tuesday morning, including when it would go into effect, who would be affected and how long the “temporary” ban would last.

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany released a statement indicating that the order would address concerns about employment and income for U.S workers.

“As President Trump has said, ‘Decades of record immigration have produced lower wages and higher unemployment for our citizens, especially for African-American and Latino workers,'” she said. “At a time when Americans are looking to get back to work, action is necessary.”

But Earhardt wanted answers, and she appeared to make a direct appeal to the president for them.

“These are questions that we have that — hopefully the president will roll out a plan, and we’ll all be informed on how this is going to affect all of our lives,” she said, again referencing the au pair situation.

Earhardt falsely claimed in 2017 that 5.7 undocumented immigrants voted illegally in 2008.

The Fox News host, who appears to be riding out the pandemic by the beaches of the Hamptons, presumably with her au pair, lamented in late March that women forced to stay home to prevent the spread of COVID-19 “can’t get their nails done.”

“Women — all my friends are saying — you know, this is not a priority. People are dying, and I realize that,” she said at the time. “But they can’t get their nails done.”

Kilmeade pointed out, seemingly unintentionally, other complications with Trump’s move on Tuesday.

“I’m wondering if there could be a testing procedure done once things settle down here in a month or so — so those people that are coming here legally through visas will be able to come here through work visas and maybe be students in the fall,” he said. “I’m not sure how that’s going to go, but we’ll see.”

Kilmeade dismissed public outrage about Trump family separation policy at the Mexico border in 2018.

“Like it or not, these are not our kids. Show them compassion, but it’s not like he’s doing this to the people of Idaho or Texas,” he said at the time. “These are people from another country.”

Earhardt reassured him then that Trump “just wants to make sure we vet who’s coming across the border, in case it’s MS-13 or drugs.”

Kilmeade later walked back his remarks on Twitter, saying that he “didn’t mean to make it seem like children coming into the U.S. illegally are less important because they live in another country.”

The Fox News host said one year later that he feared that immigration could “destroy” the “color of the country.

Drifter

American
Fox News launches Osama bin Laden smear on Biden hours after network’s poll shows Trump losing

Hours after a Fox News poll showed Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden leading President Donald Trump, the network published a story smearing the former vice president as Osama bin Laden’s choice for president.

In a poll published on Wednesday, Fox News found that voters favor Biden over Trump by 8 percentage points.

The network noted that Trump “is up by only 7 points among men, below his 17-point advantage in 2016.”

Just hours later, Fox News published a second story linking Biden to Osama bin Laden.

According to the report, the terrorist leader wanted to assassinate then-President Barack Obama to allow a Biden takeover.

The report states:

Usama bin Laden wanted to assassinate then-President Barack Obama so that the “totally unprepared” Joe Biden would take over as president and plunge the United States “into a crisis,” according to documents seized from bin Laden’s Pakistan compound when he was killed in May 2011.
The news was first published by The Washington Post in 2012. Fox News did not explain why it decided to dig up the story years later.

Drifter

American
Hannity Hires Trump Lawyer to Threaten Lawsuit Over New York Times’s ‘False’ Coronavirus Narrative

Fox News host Sean Hannity’s official Twitter account tweeted, then deleted, on Monday a story from his personal website that indicated he was suing the New York Times over a series of pieces which Hannity says added up to a smear campaign against him. The New York Times report which is perhaps the most offensive, Hannity says, erroneously blamed the death of a popular Brooklyn bar owner on his coverage of the novel coronavirus. The Times report has been updated since publication, but it has not been retracted as of Monday evening.

What was taken down, though, are claims likely authored by Hannity’s staff which purported that Hannity actually filed a lawsuit. A document sent by Hannity’s attorney to the New York Times stated that a lawsuit is very clearly imminent, but the document is merely a threat. Who is that attorney? Charles J. Harder, the well-known attorney for President Donald Trump who “killed Gawker.”

The story on Hannity’s personal website changed several times Monday. “HANNITY SAYS ENOUGH: Sean Sues the New York Times…” read the original headline and URL, in part. (It has since been altered to direct readers to a new statement demanding a retraction and an apology from the Times.) The thumbnail of the story as originally tweeted from Hannity’s verified account indicated that he had sued the Times, but that tweet was deleted and replaced with this one:

A blockquote which referenced a “lawsuit” has since been changed to reference a demand letter. “Sean Hannity has finally sued the New York Times for their irresponsible and shameful reporting,” the lead sentence of the original article stated.

The original page did not contain a link to documents. However, a link was eventually added which invited readers to click to “[r]ead the court documents.” The phrase “court documents” was added even after much or all of the other language suggesting a lawsuit had been filed was scrubbed from the post.

The “court documents” link did not appear to refer readers to documents which had been filed in court. Rather, it provided a harshly-worded twelve-page demand letter from Hannity attorney Charles Harder to New York Times general counsel Diane Brayton and others at the newspaper. Such letters are frequent precursors to lawsuits but are generally not filed in court. The letter posted online did not contain a court clerk’s file stamp.

In another bizarre use of language, the first sentence of the original article on Hannity.com said the opinion host’s lawsuit “has been long overdo.” In a criticism perhaps worthy of the Princess Bride, that word does not mean what Hannity or his staff probably think it means — or, does it? To “overdo,” according to Oxford, means “carry to excess; exaggerate.” According to Merriam-Webster, it means “to do in excess” or “to use in excess.” To take the “overdo” statement on its face, Hannity’s team is literally saying that a lawsuit is an exaggeration, an excess, or just plain too much. (Perhaps they meant that a lawsuit is overdue?)

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Study Finds More COVID-19 Cases Among Viewers Of Fox News Host Who Downplayed Pandemic

An April study about the effects of coronavirus media coverage analyzed two popular Fox News cable programs — and claims how one host talked about the threat of the coronavirus resulted in greater numbers of COVID-19 cases and deaths.

Researchers at the Becker Friedman Institute for Economics at University of Chicago took a deep dive into those implications in the working paper "Misinformation During a Pandemic," in which they examined the audience that watched Hannity versus Tucker Carlson Tonight.

Right-wing Fox News is the most watched cable network in the U.S., and half of its audience is over the age of 65. Many of its television shows and personalities downplayed the threat of the novel coronavirus and thus received harsh criticism for ignoring a public health crisis.

The economists examined scripts from shows and studied how differential exposure to the two shows affected behavior and health outcomes. Conservative hosts Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson support President Donald Trump, and they are at the helm of the two, most-widely viewed cable news shows in the U.S. But they took different broadcasting paths when the coronavirus first hit the U.S.

The paper notes that Carlson was an outlier on Fox and, as early as Jan. 28, spent a chunk of his show discussing the dangers of a global pandemic. He continued to warn of deadly consequences.

On Feb. 25, according to the paper, Carlson warned viewers of the potential impact the outbreak could have in the U.S. "Currently, the coronavirus appears to kill about 2% of the people who have it. So let's be generous for a moment and imagine that asymptomatic carriers are not detected and the real death rate is only say half a percent — that would be one quarter of the current estimates. Even under that scenario, there would still be 27 million deaths from coronavirus globally. In this country, more than a million would die," Carlson said.

Meanwhile, Hannity downplayed coronavirus as just the flu and emphasized that Democrats were politicizing the virus to undermine Trump.

"And today, thankfully, zero people in the United States of America have died from the coronavirus. Zero. Now, let's put this in perspective. In 2017, 61,000 people in this country died from influenza, the flu. Common flu. Around 100 people die every single day from car wrecks," the paper quotes Hannity from his show on Feb. 27.

By mid-March the host changed his posture and began to broadcast CDC guidelines, according to the paper. "If you feel sick, stay at home. If your kids feel sick, don't send them to school or day care. If someone in your household has tested positive for coronavirus, please self-quarantine your entire household. Keep them at home," Hannity told his viewers.

To examine the relationship between viewership of Hannity and Tucker Carlson Tonight and their changes in behavior in response to the coronavirus — washing hands more often, practicing social distancing and cancelling travel plans — the authors surveyed 1,045 Fox News viewers aged 55 or older in early April 2020.

The paper says viewership of Hannity relative to Carlson is associated with approximately 30% more COVID-19 cases by March 14, and 21% more COVID-19 deaths by March 28.

"In line with the differences in content, we find that Hannity's viewers on average changed their behavior in response to the coronavirus five days later than other Fox News viewers, while Carlson's viewers changed behavior three days earlier than other Fox News viewers," the authors wrote.

The paper says it is possible that these effects will fade over time. And it acknowledges that the findings cannot yet speak to long-term effects. However, it shows how misinformation in the early stages of a pandemic can have important consequences for how a disease ultimately affects the population.

However, Fox News strongly opposed the study's characterization of Hannity's coverage of the pandemic.

"As this timeline proves, Hannity has covered Covid-19 since the early days of the story," a Fox News spokesperson said in an email to WBEZ. "The 'study' almost completely ignores his coverage and repeated, specific warnings and concerns from January 27-February 26 including an early interview with [National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Dr. Anthony] Fauci in January. This is a reckless disregard for the truth."