Media Thread

Drifter

American
Rupert Murdoch Admitted Under Oath Fox News Hosts Promoted Election Lies

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Just reading that. You'd hope they are fatally damaged by admitting lying to keep their viewers happy, but obviously won't happen.

Rupert Murdoch testified that Fox News hosts ‘endorsed’ stolen election narrative

Newly released court documents reveal that Rupert Murdoch, the billionaire owner of Fox News, acknowledged under oath that several Fox News hosts endorsed Donald Trump’s lie that the 2020 election was stolen from him.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/feb/27/rupert-murdoch-deposition-dominion-lawsuit-fox-news

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just reading that. You'd hope they are fatally damaged by admitting lying to keep their viewers happy, but obviously won't happen.

Rupert Murdoch testified that Fox News hosts ‘endorsed’ stolen election narrative

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/feb/27/rupert-murdoch-deposition-dominion-lawsuit-fox-news
I've seen quite a few talking head lawyers from both sides of the political spectrum stating that Dominion's case is the strongest defamation case they have ever seen. If Dominion wins at the dollar amount at which they are pursuing, it won't be fatal to FNC, but they certainly would feel it.

Jippy

Staff
I've seen quite a few talking head lawyers from both sides of the political spectrum stating that Dominion's case is the strongest defamation case they have ever seen. If Dominion wins at the dollar amount at which they are pursuing, it won't be fatal to FNC, but they certainly would feel it.
Is the view that Dominion will win or would Fox be expected to settle before it gets there? Would be a pricey settlement if they're gunning for $1.6bn.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Is the view that Dominion will win or would Fox be expected to settle before it gets there? Would be a pricey settlement if they're gunning for $1.6bn.
The prevailing opinion is that Dominion should win.

Wouldn't be surprised if FNC tried to settle.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Given the openness with which Fox and Murdoch have said they followed the narrative for viewers, I imagine they plan to settle privately

Jippy

Staff
The prevailing opinion is that Dominion should win.

Wouldn't be surprised if FNC tried to settle.
Given the openness with which Fox and Murdoch have said they followed the narrative for viewers, I imagine they plan to settle privately
Cheers, the story had passed me by, but that Guardian headline caught my eye today.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The Dominion defamation case just proves Murdoch is one of the most destructive individual in the Western World, in nearly a century. These guys have destroyed a country and we in the UK have to be careful or we are not far off.

GiddyUp

The Dominion defamation case just proves Murdoch is one of the most destructive individual in the Western World, in nearly a century. These guys have destroyed a country and we in the UK have to be careful or we are not far off.
Yes he is. I believe we would be in a better place globally if this absolute cnut never existed.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The flaw in this logic is that their viewers will never know because Fox won’t report on it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
There is that, but you'd hope they hear if it's literally everywhere else and especially half their favourite anchors might be getting the boot.
The MSM liberal elite just making things up and costing people their jobs.

Jippy

Staff
The MSM liberal elite just making things up and costing people their jobs.
I'm sure some will cling to that, but Murdoch's own words are so damning.

Saying that, I was reading the Telegraph comment section on the partygate committee report on Johnson yesterday and it was grimly depressing how many were convinced it was a left wing stitch up.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Is this correct? Doesn’t sound credible
Does it matter? What it matters is did he said anything of the like 15 years ago when 90 of the 97 probably they where white and 75 were probably male?

RedDevilQuebecois

All it takes is one person recording a Zoom call and then showing the contents. This tweet contains a photo of the key part in the NY Times article.

It didn't take long before Joy Reid and Mehdi Hasan jumped on the topic.

If the authorities can make Fox News go out of business like News of the World got axed in the UK, we can declare that day a national holiday.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
All it takes is one person recording a Zoom call and then showing the contents. This tweet contains a photo of the key part in the NY Times article.

It didn't take long before Joy Reid and Mehdi Hasan jumped on the topic.

If the authorities can make Fox News go out of business like News of the World got axed in the UK, we can declare that day a national holiday.
I dont think the FCC does anything like OFCOM. Fox will be fine and will probably be stronger over this because of its stupid user base.

The United

More on Carlson:
Carlson “passionately” hates Trump: In a number of private text messages, Carlson was harshly critical of Trump. In one November 2020 exchange, Carlson said Trump’s decision to snub Joe Biden’s inauguration was “so destructive.” Carlson added that Trump’s post-election behavior was “disgusting” and that he was “trying to look away.” In another text message conversation, two days before the January 6 attack, Carlson said, “We are very, very close to being able to ignore Trump most nights. I truly can’t wait.” Carlson added of Trump, “I hate him passionately.” The Fox host said of the Trump presidency, “That’s the last four years. We’re all pretending we’ve got a lot to show for it, because admitting what a disaster it’s been is too tough to digest. But come on. There isn’t really an upside to Trump.”
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/08/media/fox-news-dominion-filings-reliable-sources/index.html

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

The United

Imagine being so morally bankrupt that you could sit and lie to the public and help twist narratives and spread conspiracy theories and hatred whilst helping divide and destroy the country you say you love. I honestly think this makes him worse than Trump.
No doubt these guys are some of the worst.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Imagine being so morally bankrupt that you could sit and lie to the public and help twist narratives and spread conspiracy theories and hatred whilst helping divide and destroy the country you say you love. I honestly think this makes him worse than Trump.
The right-wing hate talk radio/media/television/print is possibly the most destructive force of the past 30 years. That along with the religious right invading politics.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The right-wing hate talk radio/media/television/print is possibly the most destructive force of the past 30 years. That along with the religious right invading politics.
Absolutely. Both have been massively corrosive to the body politic & everyday life.

Yet the narrative ‘the left controls the media in this country’ still pervades.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Absolutely. Both have been massively corrosive to the body politic & everyday life.

Yet the narrative ‘the left controls the media in this country’ still pervades.
Fox News doesn't even consider itself as a mainstream media outlet, of course they won't/don't cover this story but if Dominion win anything close to the damages they are seeking it's hard to see how it can continue, especially given they're apparent "hatred" of Trump, compared with Newsmax and OAN, Fox is a shining beacon of sane coverage!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
And if Smartatic wins too if could be fatal. That’s another $2B+

frostbite

FOX and Trump are two giant piles of shite. Cleaning it up is a herculean task ... and unfortunately, there is no Hercules around.