Media Thread

Drifter

American
Full Democratic sweep': Analyst unnerves Fox Business host with election forecast

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Are Fox and Fox & Friends different?

I thought I saw Fox criticizing Trump recently and him obviously giving shit back like the big baby he is.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Are Fox and Fox & Friends different?

I thought I saw Fox criticizing Trump recently and him obviously giving shit back like the big baby he is.
My understanding is that Fox's talkshows is where the rabid right-wing nonsense happens, but that its news programs and journalists are rather centre-right and relatively OK.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I don't think this merits its own thread, and it is (in my mind) related to Fox, so, out of curiosity: how does MSNBC compare to Fox? I know they're on the left, and my understanding is that their talkshow part is clearly very leftist. Are they as biased, partial, and basically misleading as Fox in that regard? Or do they remain in the realm of the rational at least?

Drifter

American
There are more Ex Republicans on MSNBC than anyone on the left. Would not call them left at all, There hatred for Bernie and the Progressives is very visible. They do hate Trump though.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
There are more Ex Republicans on MSNBC than anyone on the left. Would not call them left at all/ Their hatred for Bernie and the Progressives is very visible. They do hate Trump though.
I should add that I have never watched MSNBC and don't see them mentioned in the news much, so I'm really just coming from a place of pretty close to ignorance.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I don't think this merits its own thread, and it is (in my mind) related to Fox, so, out of curiosity: how does MSNBC compare to Fox? I know they're on the left, and my understanding is that their talkshow part is clearly very leftist. Are they as biased, partial, and basically misleading as Fox in that regard? Or do they remain in the realm of the rational at least?
Its viewership is equally skewed to Democrats as Fox is to Republicans.
Among the hosts I think Chris Hayes counts as somewhat of a leftist, and that's it. The rest seem to be Dem party loyalists. Going back to 2003, they fired their most vocal anti-war anchor and replaced him with a program about Saddam being evil and getting WMDs, which matched the attitude of the Democrat party leadership (but not the left). Combing forward to this year, when Bernie was briefly the favourite for the nominee, an MSNBC anchor said Bernie might organise public executions in Central Park (opposition to Bernie, perfect for the Dems, anti-left). A massive amount of focus on MSNBC since 2016 (especially their star anchor Maddow) has been on Russiagate which was the favourite attack on Trump by conservatives, centrists, and some liberals, but not leftists. It has won them great ratings.

For Fox, I think being both ideologically committed to right-wing values and committed to the party is easier (since the party itself is more committed to the ideology). In their opinion shows, one extreme is Tucker Carlson (ideological), the other are Sean Hannity (party operative) or Fox&Friends (Trump loyalist). Redcafe's hero Chris Wallace seems to be a decent interviewer with mainstream US political opinions, I don't have TV so I don't know if his show is news or opinion. Their website gets recommended on my phone so I see their news, they do well to put an outrage spin on all stories involving all Democrats, focusing on AOC.

e - just saw this, MSNBC scolding Biden from the right, maybe they are more ideological than I thought :lol:

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Its viewership is equally skewed to Democrats as Fox is to Republicans.
Among the hosts I think Chris Hayes counts as somewhat of a leftist, and that's it. The rest seem to be Dem party loyalists. Going back to 2003, they fired their most vocal anti-war anchor and replaced him with a program about Saddam being evil and getting WMDs, which matched the attitude of the Democrat party leadership (but not the left). Combing forward to this year, when Bernie was briefly the favourite for the nominee, an MSNBC anchor said Bernie might organise public executions in Central Park (opposition to Bernie, perfect for the Dems, anti-left). A massive amount of focus on MSNBC since 2016 (especially their star anchor Maddow) has been on Russiagate which was the favourite attack on Trump by conservatives, centrists, and some liberals, but not leftists. It has won them great ratings.

For Fox, I think being both ideologically committed to right-wing values and committed to the party is easier (since the party itself is more committed to the ideology). In their opinion shows, one extreme is Tucker Carlson (ideological), the other are Sean Hannity (party operative) or Fox&Friends (Trump loyalist). Redcafe's hero Chris Wallace seems to be a decent interviewer with mainstream US political opinions, I don't have TV so I don't know if his show is news or opinion. Their website gets recommended on my phone so I see their news, they do well to put an outrage spin on all stories involving all Democrats, focusing on AOC.

e - just saw this, MSNBC scolding Biden from the right, maybe they are more ideological than I thought :lol:
Thanks - good to know. So in a way, they are actually pretty comparable, since Fox used to be the GOP mouthpiece in the media - except now Trump has moved the GOP into insane territory and Fox has trouble catching up outside its opinion shows. (I understand Wallace is a proper journalist btw, not an opinion show hack.)

Drifter

American
Kayleigh McEnany backs criminal investigation of New York Times over Trump's taxes

GiddyUp

Thanks - good to know. So in a way, they are actually pretty comparable, since Fox used to be the GOP mouthpiece in the media - except now Trump has moved the GOP into insane territory and Fox has trouble catching up outside its opinion shows. (I understand Wallace is a proper journalist btw, not an opinion show hack.)
They are not comparable at all. Fact check both and you will see.

Drifter

American
Fox News employees: Fox is a pro-Trump propaganda network

Fox News operates “more like an extension of” President Donald Trump’s administration than a typical news network and behaves “like state media,” according to current Fox employees quoted in a new report from The Daily Beast.

The Beast story reports that recent Fox layoffs were concentrated in the network’s “straight-news” ranks. Its fact-checking and research division, known internally as the “Brain Room,” was hit particularly hard, reportedly “losing around one-fourth of its 30-person staff along with two supervisors.” Those cuts, Fox staffers told the Beast, speak volumes about what the network’s executives prioritize and value.

Since Trump took office in 2017, Media Matters has documented Fox News’ transformation from a right-wing cable news network to an arm of his administration that pushes disinformation on his behalf. We have described Fox hosts as the president’s personal propagandists and the network as something more akin to a state TV outlet in an authoritarian state. We have pointed out that the network’s much-touted “straight news” division is a cog in the propaganda machine, bolstering the network’s brand while largely advancing stories that provide fodder for the bigoted and conspiracy-minded pro-Trump “opinion” hosts who dominate the place.

Those are strong characterizations, albeit ones we’ve scrupulously supported. And some of the people who work there apparently agree with us.

Here are some quotes from the Daily Beast report, all of which are attributed to current Fox employees:

“Fox has acted like state media for a long time. This is just one small element to it.”

“As an employee, I have had concerns about how close Fox has become with the White House and the administration. I don’t think I’m the only person there who has these concerns.”

“With these layoffs in multiple news departments coming just a few weeks before the election, it looks like Fox is more like an extension of this administration, instead of a news network.”

“The opinion team appears to have won the internal battle” with the news side.

The leaders of the Fox News website “are not interested in facts. They are obsessed with pitching ‘on-brand’ stories that include Blue Lives Matter, anything antifa-related, anyone who has suffered during BLM protests that can put the protestors in a negative light, anything that threatens

Christianity, and anyone who is a Trump supporter who has somehow been wronged.”

“The Brain Room, in their research, came up with facts that were not used in Fox reports or were in contradiction to what Fox aired. I have to imagine that kind of tension has always existed there, between the fact-checkers and what is often reported.”

Top Fox executives have “long been unsupportive of real, unbiased reporting. They do not see themselves as a real news operation in the sense that people are doing original work, trying to break stories and get to the bottom of things, wherever the chips fall.”

These quotes from Fox employees align with Trump’s own view of the network. In May, he criticized Fox for “doing nothing to help Republicans, and me, get re-elected on November 3rd.” That remark demonstrated that he sees Fox not as an independent news channel, but as a propaganda network devoted to the electoral success of Republicans like himself.

The Daily Beast report follows a similar July story which quoted Fox insiders dismayed with how network executives had “created a white supremacist cell inside the top cable network in America, the one that directly influences the president.” Media Matters has documented how Fox hosts like Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham have used their prime-time shows to peddle white nationalist talking points to huge audiences.

Fox News is exactly what we said it is. Just ask the people who work there.

Drifter

American
Scott Baio attacks 'Happy Days' reunion because he doesn't believe in 'Marxism'

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

:lol: so many questions! They couriered the only version of the documents they had rather than emailing them and didn’t make any sort of backup copies either.

Abizzz

:lol: so many questions! They couriered the only version of the documents they had rather than emailing them and didn’t make any sort of backup copies either.
:houllier::lol:
The only real question is: how many times does a baby have to be dropped on it's head to grow into an adult believing this shit?

WPMUFC

:houllier::lol:
The only real question is: how many times does a baby have to be dropped on it's head to grow into an adult believing this shit?
This is all, literally, "Just a show". It's performance art for lunatics.
Now comes the claim that you can't expect to literally believe the words that come out of Carlson's mouth. And that assertion is not coming from Carlson's critics. It's being made by a federal judge in the Southern District of New York and by Fox News's own lawyers in defending Carlson against accusations of slander. It worked, by the way.

Just read U.S. District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil's opinion, leaning heavily on the arguments of Fox's lawyers: The "'general tenor' of the show should then inform a viewer that [Carlson] is not 'stating actual facts' about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary.' "
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/9177...s-tucker-carlson-tells-you-so-say-fox-s-lawye

Mike Smalling

Also, why not mention the name of the carrier, if it is indeed a 'brandname company'? Maybe because it didn't happen and whatever carrier they chose for their lie would immediately deny it?

Amir

A few days ago was the first time I actually took a few minutes to view this channel, after the second debate.

What a bunch of loonies. The frightning thing is tons of people actually believe what they are saying is true.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A few days ago was the first time I actually took a few minutes to view this channel, after the second debate.

What a bunch of loonies. The frightning thing is some people actually believe what they are saying is true.
Depends on your definition of some. I would say millions of people could be considered many.

SirAF

Ageist
:lol:

"My dog ate my homework" basically.

Drifter

American

And his brain-dead viewers will believe him and move on. Or say the dog was a Democrat trained to steal packages

cafecillos

It's funny the way they insult their viewers straight to their faces: "We know you are so incredibly dumb you are going to believe this shit LOL"

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Apparently Carlson has bunkered himself up in his private TV studio in the middle of nowhere (Maine) since the summer. Yet keeps telling people going to work/school etc, is totally fine.